Blac/k/ powder

Alright you Sally Sad Fucks. Why aren't you carrying a black powder revolver for self defense like a man?
>no FFL, ships right to your door
>cheap
>pic related is less than $200 on buds
>carry 2 or 3 at that price for the NY reload
>most civilian gun fights are over in 2-3 shots, 6 is fine
>play Josey Wales
>aesthetic
>simultaneously provide suppressing fire AND concealment to make your escape
>put those damn savages back on their rez
>make your own powder & ammo for shtf

Attached: 39417.jpg (533x218, 16K)

>low rate of fire
>heavy
>bulky
>large
>single action
>low muzzle energy
>low bullet weight
>smokey af

BP guns arent very good modern self defense guns my dude

Of all your argument, I see the low bullet weight as the only real argument.

But they killed reliably for centuries, so be a man

Attached: 600px-TOJWColtWalker-8.jpg (600x258, 35K)

Because im a cheap nigger and would rather waste like 100 on a Saturday night special or hi-point.
Also i dont like that it take like an hour to reload a bp revolver

How much of a pain in the ass are these too shoot, and is it expensive? I'd also probably just like one to finger fuck every now and then because they look ballin

my main gripe is the quality. the only good BP revolvers are actual colts. the italian replicas are all made of chinesium metal that literally folds and bends the moment you fucking take a walmart screwdriver to unscrew something

>>low muzzle energy
>>low bullet weight
i know when looking to modern ballistics data round balls are unimpressive but in practice they kill out of proportion to what modern data would have you believe.

still agree with you of course on everything else, no way i'm keeping one for self defense

I mean it takes maybe 4-5 minutes max to load 6 cylinders without all the tools...
It’s way faster if you make paper cartridges.

Suck me sideways. There is nothing more aesthetic than an 1860 army cap and ball revolver

They’re relatively cheap to shoot, around the price of 9mm per round, but you’re sending lead downrange much slower.
The real bitch to them is cleaning everything. Hot water and lots of patches.

Were .50cal lead balls light?

It costs more per round than 9mm

>ordered a musket months ago
>still not here
>call sutler every couple weeks
Never order from Fall Creek Sutler. I should have just gone with Dixie instead of trying to save some money.

three inch snubnose 44 with 200 grain lee conicals. Love it.

Thanks for the heads up user!

And I know it defeats the purpose, but you can get a conversion cylinder to shoot brass cased cowboy loads. .44spcl out of a 7" bbl? Yeah, I'd fuck that.

I will get into it if I ever get convicted of a felony

where in the hell are you getting .50 cal BP revolvers? sounds like to me you dont even own a BP revolver

The only acceptable black powder gun is a BFR using BP .45-.70

I think I'm turning into a Dixie-boo. I just had pulled pork for dinner. Yee haw!

you can also just take the cylinder out and swap it with a new, preloaded one/.

Get a LeMat replica. The option of a shotgun load in particularly troublesome situations cannot be underrated.

Collier flintlock is far more aesthetic.

Attached: collier flintlock revolver.jpg (1800x787, 102K)

I've thought about getting a black powder revolver since they're cheap and cool. Since they're not considered a normal gun, can you put a stock on them? How clean are paper cartridges? I imagine the paper would end up with some of it being stuck in the cylinder.

Also, can you make extremely light and cheap loads with wax instead of lead like you can with normal revolvers?

you can put a stock on them.
black powder being cheap is a lie. the cheap guns are all brassframed which is fine if you dont plan to shoot it that much.
steelframed which is what you want is usually 100 more than the brass version.
ammo is more than 9mm per shot unless you do shit like cast your own bullets out of lead you got for free.
people say shit like oh you can convert these to real ammo which is honestly a fools errand. conversions only work on the steel guns, they are awkward things to use since you have to pull the cylinder on most of em, and you can only use cowboy loads. if you do a conversion you are looking at 250-300 for the revolver and another 250 for the cylinder.
almost 600 bucks for a gun thats a pain in the ass to use and will blowup if you use normal ammo.
if you really want to shoot cartridges just buy the repros that already take cartridges from the beginning they cost about the same. they are nicer you get loading gates you can use any ammo of the right caliber. if you are a felon who cant buy a gun at a store $600 will get you a bunch of other items or hell an ar ghost gun.
get it cause you want a black powder gun. dont try to make it something its not.

my .44 army with a .454 round ball and 35 grains of 2F powder will shoot right through 2 1"x4"x of pine wood from the target stand at 50 yards. my .36 navy will get about halfway through the 1st 1"x4" and embed itself in the wood at the same distance, on a .375 ball over 20 grains of 2F powder. both barrels the original 6" or 7" length i cant remember.

my takeaway is the .36 is too weak to rely on, unless you are really close.

you can get steel frame guns for sub $180. check cabelas for a sale and use the 20% discount gift cards that go on sale at ebay every so often. i think my 1858 rem steel frame army came out to just over $160 shipped using that method

Im gonna do it.
Fuck chls, unconstitutional horse shit.
>dyin aint much of a livin
>boy

you want a walker for cheap bro?

Should I go for a Uberti over a Pietta? Usually I opt for quality but I can get a Pietta 1851 for literally half the price of a Uberti.

Are blunderbusses any good?

yes, get a traditions kit and tacticool it

Attached: tactical_flintlock.jpg (1000x750, 96K)

They're good car guns, you just load them with any old shit you have lying around.

Pietta if you aren't autistic about historical accuracy. Both need work, but Pietta gets the arbor length correct on their Colt reproductions.

im convinced they are made from the same factory and just have different companies doing the finishing. uberties add a laquer to the wood grips. there are minor differences like sight width but other than that, they are the same. both use chink-tier metal for the screws that is softer than microwaved brie cheese

forgot to add, i have mulitples of both so i know what im talking about. i would just get the cheaper one, i think quality is more on a gun by gun basis depending on who was polishing and fitting the parts that day and how hard they were trying. i have pietta 1858 thats smoother and nicer than an uberti 1858, and an uberti 1851 thats smoother and nicer than a pietta 1851. i have like a dozen and have handled more from others at my club, some current production some 10-20 years old. i dont think either company is better than the other

I'm dirt poor at the moment but I'll get myself a Remington 1858 as soon as possible

Took about 3 months to get my cigar tin from them. Completely forgot I ordered it by the time it showed up

I got a pedersoli Remington 1858 and a Philadelphia derringer last year from a family members estate for 100 bucks for both.
never shot BP. Where's a good place to learn, I know the gist from watching hickok and other youtubers but need to learn about the different powders and bullet diameters and shit like that. Also where to buy powder? I see all the other stuff online but never see the powder for sell anywhere.

ill teach you, ive been doing it for a few years, what do you have so far in terms of supplies and equipment? what caliber are your guns in

best bet is to join a black powder shooters club at a range. lots of old timers and experienced people there will be able to help

gonna go to bed soon so if thread dies for some reason before you answer, make a thread later today and look for this pic and youll know its me

Attached: M1BB_lock.jpg (1540x598, 71K)

Because I can get a decent 9mm and feed it 100 rounds for about half the price of a decent BP setup.

>.50 cal cap and ball revolver
Why do I suddenly want this?

It's not a pain in the air to shoot at all.
The slow reload is half the fun, and it's really a joy to send some lead balls down range.
The guns themselves aren't expensive, require no ffl or background check, and are plentiful.
Cleaning can be a little arduous, but it's really not that bad. I'd recommend a detail strip about every 100-150 rounds, and a basic field strip and clean after EVERY shooting session, because that powder gets everywhere, and it will absolutely corrode the gun if left uncleaned.
I'd highly recommend one for fun and just for historical appreciation of how far we've come in terms of firearm design.

I dont have any supplies right now, just the guns.

oh nd the 1858 is .44 and the derringer is .45

Uberti or Pietta 1851 navy london?

Attached: 1528219761171.jpg (1920x2144, 1.31M)

Because caps don't always go off, dipshit.

>>low muzzle energy
>low bullet weight
ugh, total shit right here. that bullet is fucking hauling ass. especially for its size. shit super penetrates too.

Gun..................Pyrodex FFFG (vol).......Bullet weight......... Average Speed............Calculated Energy
.36 Remington.........28 grains.................80 grains.375 ball.....1015........................183 ft/lbs
.36 Rem..6.5 inch.....32 grains.................80 grains...............1275......................... 288 ft/lbs
.36 Rem................32 grains.................80 grains................1200........................ .255 ft/lbs (retested)
.36 Rem ...............35 grains.................80 grains................1250........................ .277 ft/lbs (35 gr max capacity)

.44 Rem ..5.5 inch.....28 grains .............138 gr .451 ball.........550..........................92 ft/lbs
.44 Rem.................32 grain...............138 gr .451 ball..........700.........................150 ft/lbs
.44 Rem................. 32 grain..............140 gr .454 ball..........850..........................224 ft/lbs (.454 ball has tighter seal)
.44 Rem..................35 grain...............138 gr .451 ball.........875..........................234 ft/lbs
.44 Rem..................35 grain...............140 gr .454 ball.........945...........................277 ft/lbs
.44 Rem..................35 grain...............143 gr .457 ball.........960...........................292 ft/lbs (.457 ball has tighter seal)
.44 Rem...................37 grain..............138 gr .451 ball.........950...........................276 ft/lbs
.44 Rem...................37 grain..............143 gr .457 ball..........960..........................292 ft/lbs
.44 Rem....................42 grain.............143 gr .457 ball.........1019..........................329 ft/lbs
.44 Rem....................46 grain.............143 gr .457 ball.........1050..........................350 ft/lbs

Attached: QjKcZ.jpg (1024x768, 235K)

Uberti

What is a ruger old army?

>car
>not schooner
Sodomite

>I imagine the paper would end up with some of it being stuck in the cylinder.

You soak it in saltpetre water solution and it completely combusts.

>can you put a stock on them?
yes just don't put your supporting hand forward of the cylinder and keep your fingers away from the cylinder gap

>.36 navy will get about halfway through the 1st 1"x4" and embed itself in the wood at the same distance,

Try herder lead, soft for expansion, pure and harder alloy if you want penetration. 36 is marginal at 100 yards but still quite lethal at 50. The main point being its plenty accurate at 50

I find I'm more accurate at 50-100 yards with 36 but prefer 44 conicals in shorter barrels. My most accurate wheelgun gun is a 5 inch 36

>>dyin aint much of a livin>boy

Based line.

They exist but I've only heard of the one in this pic, but there are very few and probably very expensive

Attached: clements custom .50 percussion.jpg (640x480, 19K)

Anyone know a good dealer shipping to Europe? Those are the only license-free funs I can get in Poland, but cost over $500 for a decent 1858 in shops.

Attached: 1858-conversion-new-army_1806281.jpg (1500x820, 75K)

Pietta 1858 costs roughly 250-300 in France but they probably don't ship outside of the country

you seriously think >350lbs is a lot? you are beyond retarded

>use walmart flat ground screwdrivers
>HUR IT MUST BE THE GUNS FAULT

That puts it in 9mm range. Not to say that's super powerful, but to call it anemic would be retarded.

Why not a .30 caliber air pistol with a 7 shot magazine. Pic related only did like 20 ft. Lbs. But Quackenbushs' push like 100 ft. Lbs.

Attached: 30calCO2Pistol_zps2735c0ff.jpg (1024x352, 225K)

Here's a .30 cal air rifle I built. It's suppressed and the stock is removable.

Attached: IMG_20180202_131153.jpg (2688x1512, 1.2M)

44s have been known to rip ARMS off of men at close range

All non magnum pistol cartridges are anemic.

All right lads
Charleville 1777 An IX or Land Pattern Brown Bess?

Bessie. She looks nicer, throws a bigger ball, and is traditional.

posted this in another thread but then i saw this one

if you want a felon gun buy an 1858 and don't convert it. antiques don't count towards mandatory minimum sentencing because they're not firearms but they will still kill someone if you don't miss

the more you know

How much would you charge me for one?

most states consider them firearms when loaded.

mandatory minimums come from federal law and federal law clearly says bps are not firearms

your state can still rape you if they want to but at least you don't have to deal with something stupid like 20 years minimum in prison

going to require source on that too i can only think of 1-2 states that do that

do these come with dueling gloves or do I have to slap motherfuckers myself.

I'd rather get hit by a 9mm load than a 350ft/lb .50 call lead ball, nigger do you know what that would do to a man's insides!

yeah those are excellently made and robust as hell but not true replicas. they give a "feel" but they dont look like the real thing. IMO they are ugly as fuck because they look half modern, half authentic. the sights ruin it for me. the barrel profile as well, i could go on but you get the idea

cabelas probably ships international

Well, the parts were kind of expensive. Don't tell my girlfriend but it was around a thousand dollars to build... If you want something comparable or even better look into Hatsan and Evanix. Evanix air rifles are really cool, they even have a few semi auto .357's.... but I'm pretty sure they've got an electronically fired valve, like the Benjamin Rogue or Daystate. There is also FX airguns, and XP-airguns makes a 1000fpe .72 cal....

Someday I hope to make some investments so I can make big bore air guns at a reasonable cost so I can sell them, but I'm not there yet, sorry :)

i doubt it

Does Middlesex sell usable muskets or not?
I remember hearing that while their guns are made in India, they aren't total trash but actually decently functional firearms.

Attached: MCT_right.jpg (1801x453, 55K)

Indian muskets are iffy, most of the manufacturers use DOM tubing for barrel blanks and shit bursts occasionally

I'm not sure if it's "most" or not, but in IN "serious violent felons" (those convicted of a specific list of felonies) are prohibited from owning "firearms", and the relevant definition in state law has no exclusion for muzzleloaders or antiques.
(They are exempt from IN"s carry permit law, though.)

they offer a warranty based on faulty product, and have good customer service

You have to provide your own gloves