Why do people hate on mini-14's? They seem like aesthetic alternatives to AR 15's

Why do people hate on mini-14's? They seem like aesthetic alternatives to AR 15's.

Attached: usednr351-1500x850~2.jpg (1500x326, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RxLrz1vTloI
budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/14301/Ruger 4 + 1 223 Remington Ranch Rifle w/Blue Barrel & Hardwo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Jow Forums considers them overpriced fudd guns. Or ARs for those in cucked states

They're neat but severely overpriced for what they are.

Expensive stuff. Not horrible rifles anymore, especially considering the improvements made to them after the initial release, but man. What a terrible fucking price.
Also, proprietary magazines, very limited aftermarket, lackluster accuracy, and iffy ergonomics means that it's beat out in almost every category by a bog-standard AR, so they were practically obsolete when they were released.

What they are is a scaled down and revised M14 and if you get a decent deal it's priced fairly, it just can't compete with an AR toe to toe. That's fine, since most firearm performance is determined by the user

No.

So you can't just pop a STANAG mag into it?

Proprietary mags all the way. There are aftermarkets that need serious work or factory mags for $40.

nope. i wonder why ruger doesn't want their rifle to feed from a mag that's widely available and cheap.

Why do people think these are expensive? I've bought three and none were over $500.

>based on an outdated action
>expensive, proprietary mags
>less capable than an AR for higher cost

The only reason to own a Mini-14 is if local laws prevent you from owning a decent AR.

>Starts yet another Mini-14 troll thread
>Will get hundreds of spergy replies
Every single fucking time. Jow Forums truly is the easiest board to troll.

>>based on an outdated action
Does it hurl bullets forward at high speed?

Yeah, then it's not "outdated".

guess that why the army still uses muzzle-loaders

No... Its more a scaled up m1 carbine.

Yes there is a big difference

They were very popular back in the 90s because muh AWB. They were the only decent inexpensive option for having a 5.56 semi auto. I shot one we rented from the range when I was 12. I liked it quite a bit.

It has an aesthetic and feel to it that an AR doesn't have. I feel like it would be more of a pleasure to shoot. Unfortunately there's not much of a point to own one unless you're wealthy and already have a huge collection. I would rather spend the money on training or AR mags / accessories.

No. They're rock and lock proprietary magazines. They dun goofed by not making them stanag compatible. I think they would be a lot more popular if they did.

If you want to use AR mags, Ruger will sell you an AR. The Mini is for people who want steel rock-in mags like it's always used. Plus AR mags need a magwell and that would make the Mini look gross.

Outdated doesn't mean "wont work." It's a pre-WW2 design that first world countries stopped using in the 1960s in military service.

>it just can't compete with an AR toe to toe
Bullshit.

The gun overall is a scaled-down M-14. The gas system is from an M1 carbine.

Sorry if reality doesn't meet your expectations.

It fills a rather niche role of having the handling and looks of a traditional rifle while still having the capacity and caliber of an AR. Functionally, the AR beats it in just about every category, but that doesn't make it any less fun. Plus, saying a gun is not as good as an AR is like saying a basketball player isn't as good as Lebron James. ARs set a pretty damn high bar, and while the Mini 14 is less accurate, less reliable, more expensive, and has less aftermarket support than the AR, it is still a damn fine gun.
The added bonus of being legal in cucked states helps as well.
Having some sort of STANAG mag well would fuck the aesthetics of the Mini 14. 30 round mags are hard but not impossible to find though.
Mini 30s, on the other hand, really have no business not taking AK mags.

Back when the Mini-14 was introduced they weren't STANAG mags. They were "the mag that weird Colt army rifle takes" and not many civilians owned ARs. So it was a logical decision to make your baby M-14 take baby M-14 mags.

The whole thing is cast except for the barrel. You'd think they could have made it cheaper.
youtube.com/watch?v=RxLrz1vTloI

Attached: e34d024ay3p01.jpg (359x317, 84K)

They are innacurate, unreliable, and over priced.

It's also an option if you have family/friends who are noguns or gun-adverse. Store a wood stock Mini-14 w/ a 5-rd mag in place and it looks like a little .22 to someone unfamiliar with guns.

it is out dated. the word youre thinking of is obsolete

No. It was entirely because Bill Ruger was a pro gun control fudd and wanted to charge whatever military or police agency that adopted his rifle extra fudd bucks for proprietary magazines. The AR-15 had been popular for 3 decades prior.

When he figured out nobody wanted his piece of shit rifle he introduced it to the civilian market.

t. Fudd.

Educate your family and friends and stop letting noguns dictate our rights.

reminder that if you think the m14 or mini14 are unreliable then you are an idiot if you dont think the same for the garand or m1 carbine.

>semi automatic
>blow the deer in half round
>fudd
No.

Reminder that you're retarded.

New Mini-14s are what, $699? That's not much more than a 1911 and those are all cast now too. People don't have their heads in the right place when they try to compare prices. ARs are as cheap as they are because every company out there is selling millions of them every year. AKs were as cheap as they were because they used milsurp parts. The Mini-14 is one rifle, all steel, made by one company in-house.

NIB $850+

I never said they were unreliable, just that they are less reliable than ARs. I cannot recall ever having a malfunction on my mini besides the bolt catch mechanism breaking, which was easily fixed. Regardless, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that the exposed actions of Minis, M-14s, etc. make them more susceptible to malfunctions from things like sand or dirt.

What is your fucking argument. You just said put a 5 round magazine in it so your friends and family aren't afraid. That's a fuddy fucking statement. Especially if you could have it loaded with a 30 round mag. Fuck your family and fuck your friends. You appeasing their irrational fear is doing nothing more than creating more irrational fear.

Yep gotta let the 8 year old start off with a 3" magnum load I tell you what.

Now really, I know most of Jow Forums is nogunz but you could hide it a little bit better.

The Mini-14 was designed less than ten years after the XM16E1 entered service with the Army. In the early '70s if you wanted to buy an AR it was an expensive Colt SP1, and back then most of the firearms community wasn't interested in tacticool or radically weird gun designs. It was a safe bet for Ruger to make a traditional-looking semi-auto rifle that used the new .223 round. Keep in mind back then new semi-auto rifles with easily removable mags were REALLY uncommon on the civilian market. The Mini-14s main competitors were the SP1 and Universal M1 Carbines. It's not like you'd go down to the gun store and see a wall full of Pmags.

???
budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/14301/Ruger 4 + 1 223 Remington Ranch Rifle w/Blue Barrel & Hardwo

MSRP is over 1000 dude. i only have one because i got it for 499

and back then AR mags were probably no more reliable

Anyone that advocates AR mags in guns that use rock and lock mags should immediately gas themselves.

This is what a Mini-14 taking AR mags would have to look like around the receiver.

Attached: su16a-right[1].png (1170x504, 58K)

>MSRP is over 1000 dude
do you not live in america or something? msrp is ~$700. walmart was selling them on discount for $500 like 6 months ago.

MSRP is $999 on Ruger's site. Street price is around $675, give or take. Used they go for $500 all day long.

i think these would look good with a pistol grip and side folding stock.

>when things were cheaper in the past, they were cheaper
whoa call Sherlock Holmes

>walmart was selling them on discount for $500 like 6 months ago.
because walmart stopped carrying them and was clearing out stock. they got down to $300 in the end before they were all gone.

Also, the M14 was recently out of service with the military and many GIs returning from Vietnam weren't in love with the M16 platform. The early-mid '70s gave birth to both the Mini-14 and the first M1As made by Springfield.

>hey I want a $300 rifle that takes AR mags, AR grips and AR stocks
>hmmm
>better autistically screech about Mini-14's instead, despite them literally being called a MINI 14, indicating that they are infact supposed to be a smaller scale version of a M-14 with how the rifle handles and operates.

exactly.

It's a M1 carbine dressed up to look like a baby M14.

>the G36 is actually just a SKS dressed up as a modern rifle because it uses a short stroke gas piston

Also remember that in the 70s:
1) M1 carbines were still cheap and plentiful on the surplus market, and
2) There were lots and lots and lots of people who were still in their 40s or 50s who had a lot of experience with Garand-action rifles.
The Mini's selling points were that they were new, they fired a better round than .30 Carbine, and a lot of the potential customer base already knew basically how they worked and how to take care of them. Those were not small points.
How many cases of that actually being a problem are there? And no, I don't mean some goofbag YouTuber intentionally packing the action full of mud until the rifle stopped working. I mean in the real world. And not just with the Mini - I mean with any Garand-action rifle.

If ruger rolled out a mini that took stanag mags and was under $700 they would sell a good plenty

>being retarded

>Chinese subtitles
Chang...

Attached: 1358691717198.jpg (447x444, 16K)

They were designed for fudds because Bill Ruger was a fudd. He wanted nothing to do with innovation. I guarantee he was literally shaking with the army adopted the AR-15 and decided he was going to one up them by making an M-14 with a smaller cartridge. His plan failed. His rifle sucked. Nobody cares about it anymore. Cope.

It's almost as if it's stupid to claim a gun is just a dressed up copy of another based solely on it's gas system huh?

It's a rifle that looks like a smaller M14 hence mini 14. What it is NOT is a scaled down model of a M14 that has been parroted a dozen or so times in this thread.

>There are aftermarkets that need serious work or factory mags for $40.
Bullshit. ProMags work great and are $20. "OEM" brand mags (not to be confused with factory mags) also work great from what I hear and are straight if you're into that, pic related.

Attached: mini oem.jpg (800x285, 36K)

Nice spergout. Plenty of buzzwords. But please go back to shouting at people over cawadoody chat.

>Nobody cares about it anymore.
so that must be why you are using your valuable time to open this thread and bother making such a comment?

I've sent back 4 pro mag 20 rounders that were too wide for the magwell. The John Masen ones work better in my experiences.

The gas system is based on the M1's. The receiver, FCG, and, sights are modeled after the M14.

Cope faggot. Nobody buys Mini-14's. The only people interested in them are fudds. It's a little late for you to be up, what did your wife put you in the dog house again?

I've bought 5 or 6 ProMags that all fit and run great.

Attached: XXtzC7b.png (1294x355, 633K)

>m-muh stanag
Punch yourself repeatedly in the face. It would take a fuckton of work to redesign the receiver and likely thr bolt of a rifle that sells well regardless.
Also while you're at it, go ahead, make that same shitty "modern cnc" and "modern materials" shit that is repeated verbatim on every single retard forum.

>expensive
Because one fucking company makes them compared to the hundred or so shitting out ar and ar parts. I also fucking bet that if they do end up making one using the same kind of modular magwell that's on their American Predator, you and every other arfag would still bitch and complain because again, Ruger, and only Ruger, makes minis, meaning they can price them however the fuck they want because of no competition.

Jesus fuck, the people on Jow Forums.

>Nobody buys Mini-14's

They've sold over a million of them. That's in the ballpark of other famous guns like the Mauser C96 or Savage 99.

>who would buy a Mini14? they're dumb and way out of date
>btw, do you like my SHTF loadout SKS?
>t. Jow Forums

Attached: SKS_-_Ryssland_-_AM.045810.jpg (2050x900, 439K)

Actually SKS are shit unless you bed them. This can be done with painters tape, JB weld, and vasoline.

Attached: photo_2017-11-21_15-20-47.jpg (1280x960, 208K)

Uncommon of a problem as it may be, the fact remains that an AR is better at making sure foreign debris stays out of the action than a Garand style action is. I would say both are about as reliable when run without dirt, mud, or sand or whatever, and the AR wins when those elements are introduced, so the AR is, objectively, more reliable. I'm not even saying the mini is a bad rifle, just that it isn't as good as an AR. You just can't help but bring emotional bias into the argument and sperg out about it.

>starting someone out with a mag that isn't cucked is the same as letting an 8 year old shoot a 3" magnum

>having a poor design in the first place that needs proprietary magazines
>Extremely precise CNC machining shitty. Modern materials shitty.
>Muh spend more money on a rifle that does everything worse than its competitors because everything is made in house.
>Defending price gouging

>over a million

Wow. Color me impressed.

ba·by step
noun
plural noun: baby steps
a tentative act or measure which is the first stage in a long or challenging process.
"the country is just taking its first baby steps toward the future"

>indicating that they are infact supposed to be a smaller scale version of a M-14 with how the rifle handles and operates.
note how I did not say a literal exact scaled copy?
It's clearly based off the M14, it handles and controls exactly the same, the only practical difference is the gas system. Calling it a M1 carbine is fucking stupid because the only commonality that the is short tappet system.

Dude. Go back to wherever you came from. Do you come here to post ignorant shit because your fat ugly wife has had enough of your mouth or do you actually think you're clever?

Are you legitimately retarded? Who comes up with insane drivel like that?

You must be 18 to post here.

ITT: Boomers who can't cope with the AR's popularity arguing with Zoomers who don't understand you can have actually shoot a gun for fun instead of having one for the impending civil war that's gonna happen any day now, I just know it.

>stanags werent a common thing back when it was concieved
>I'm a retard who doesn't understand supply
>I'm also a retard who can't understand that people happen to like rifles other than ars

Part of it is AR-like but not an AR, so AR fanboys get salty.
Part of it is rage at the fudd appeal.

As for the rifle itself, accuracy is improved but still a bit lackluster. Only about part with a really cheap AR. Magazines are different, controls are different and it is prone to some overheating because the gas system vents inside the handguards, up past the barrel.

Also the price went up quite a bit since the redesign for the heavier barrel while AR prices tanked.
Overall it makes sense if you're in a ban state or you really like the design and don't mind the downsides. Otherwise it just doesn't make sense to buy one.

>I'm also a retard who can't understand that people happen to like rifles other than ars

Yeah. Fudds.

I already said I like the rifle. It doesn't make it not irrelevant.

I'm 31. Which I'm guessing is less than half your age.

Much anger
I can guess what your home board is

Attached: 1469127023546.jpg (850x297, 34K)

Ruger dropped it by not embracing the stanag.

I hope none of the people in here bitching about Mini14s own any other suboptimal guns like FALs, G3s, AKs, budget ARs, or non-Glock pistols.

Attached: Mini14GB.jpg (640x480, 30K)

>I hope none of the people in here bitching about obsolete mini-14's own any other military adopted rifles and widely civilian owned rifles or handguns

>G-g-goverments 50 years ago used FALs! That makes them good! S-short shorts and manly men!

>implying that the mini 14 has never been adopted by a military

What it is is the same Mac vs.PC arguments I've been hearing since the early 90s, just applied to guns. Same shitty arguments, same bizarre, unhealthy emotional attachment to something that's basically just a tool, same refusal to see that either option will get the job done just fine.

"It uses proprietary [SCSI drives/Ruger magazines], not standard [STANAG/IDE]!"

"There isn't as much aftermarket support! You can't upgrade that [Mac/Mini-14], and there aren't any [Magpul accessories/games] for it!"

"My [AR/PC] is less expensive! Paying the [Mac/Ruger] tax is stupid!"

Bleh. Same old shit, different decade.

It was good enough for Rhodies, user.

Attached: rhodesian mini.jpg (1024x768, 225K)

Once again, Jow Forums shows that it has no fucking idea what these two words mean:
1) Obsolete
2) Fudd

Attached: mini14 bermuda.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

Bermuda, Rhodesia and a lot of police contracts in the US, Ireland and France among others.
It's a second rate military weapon, but it got around.

Also another factor of how the mini-14 has been perceived is tied to the value. Back in the early 90s when minis were $300 and ARs were 1k , for all their flaws the Ruger were much more accessible. That was the biggest draw. Today it's the other way around, with minis running ~$800 (although they can be had for $500) and ARs being as cheap as $300. It works out for the best because ARs are great rifles, but it has relegated the mini-14 and just about everything else to a nice status.

don't you know in 2019 that anything I don't like is (insert buzzword that has lost all it's meaning here)

Originally I thought the problem was day/k/are, but it's worse than I thought

Attached: 1547187899645.jpg (1200x635, 70K)

The problem is that $300 ARs are junk.

It's pretty true though. I've owned 3 different mini-14s and wouldn't mind buying another. I love them and defend them from a lot of unwarranted hate, but I'm also very aware and honest about their shortcomings.

almost as junky as a Mini-14