Is there a way I can get a .30-06 Garand converted to .308?

Is there a way I can get a .30-06 Garand converted to .308?

Attached: M1_Garand_rifle_-_USA_-_30-06_-_Armémuseum.jpg (2350x1100, 671K)

Sure - but WHY?

This

Attached: .458 Win Mag M1.jpg (640x480, 31K)

This Machine kills Commies

yes.
buy one already converted from the cmp. or suffer fuds who charge "I know what they got" prices for their "navy" garand that they totally didn't buy from the cmp.

you can just buy a 308 repro. i've heard stories though.....

Just get the barrel changed to .308. The action works fine with it.

Because I prefer .308. It's a more efficient cartridge, and the ammo itself is generally cheaper and more available.

Can the op rod handle any kind of .308, or do I need to be careful of what loads I use, like with .30-06.

Why not just get an M1A?
Or if you got the cash, a Fulton M1A?

>buying Springfield Armory

No thanks. Besides, I'd rather not buy a new gun when I already have a CMP Garand sitting around.

It'll cost you more to get it rebarreled and ready for modern .308 ammo. Just get a bolt action or AR-10 chambered in 308. What you're asking for is pretty dumb.

I dont think its a problem. I was looking into the same a few months ago and thats what i came up with, just need a barrel swap. May want to do some digging to be sure

just fucking shoot 30-06, if the cost between 30-06 and 308 make and break you, get a fucking ruger american, savage axis, howa, vanguard, etc etc for $400~ SHIT, get them USED at local pawn shop. THere's tons of people just selling off their entry bolt rifles for dimes and being sold for nickels.
Why fuck with a M1 Garand from CMP because you think so fucking short sighted? If you rebarrel that fucker, you better use that shit and be 100% happy with it. You live in an age where entry level GOOD bolt action rifles sell for almost nothing and you brainstorm ways to molest and take another vintage war rifle into bubba territory? Fuck you.

Calm down, retard.

the cmp sells 308 garands. just buy that

Bubba no

Fuck you, dude.

OP you're the only retard here.

U are retard.

Those are aesthetic cartridges, what are they?

Ha

step 1: visit sweaty ben's shilly crate at classicfirearms.com

step 2: purchase beretta bm-59

step 3: ??

step 4: profit!

you now have an m1 garand in 7.62 real fucking nato that isnt made by springfield. you're welcome.

That would be .458 win mag

legit answer.

you'll have to go to a gunsmith, and may have to have it rebarreled.

see if you can find any conversion barrels online. you may need a new magazine and enbloc clips because of the length difference. I'm not too familiar with the dimensions of the cartridges but I believe the .308 is a bit wider at the shoulders. Pressure wise you'll be fine and a conversion would be completely feasible.

Navy Garand, CMP Special, or go to a smith to get a new Criterion .308 barrel installed + the ammo block installed. P. easy and painless.

You'll need an adjustable gas plug, but, they're like 100$.

Don't listen to the idiots saying it's not cost-effective or to get a M1A. Plenty of real USGI .308 Garands out there - and the BM-59's nothing more than an updated .308 Garand anyway.

Booty = Blasted.

don't do this - the cast recievers have had a lot of issues re: both cracking and being out-of-spec re: the oprods they use. The JRA BM-59s are NOT USGI spec which means they don't play nice with the piles of gear out there.

You don't have to get it rebarreled, just swap a .308 criterion barrel for a 30-06 one.

Honestly, go to BRG or M14/Mini-General - there you're going to get more informed answers than the shitflingers here on daykare.

Remember, if .308 M1s were good enough for the Navy - they're in no way a bubba piece.

once you finish shot yourself with it

>Because I prefer .308. It's a more efficient cartridge
If you want "efficient", get a budget AR and put it next to your Garand, which will never be "efficient" by modern standards under any circumstances.

This is like starting a thread on /o/ saying that you just bought a '76 Lincoln Continental and asking how to put the engine from a Prius in it so it'll be "more efficient". The answer is that you don't, and you're a retard for having bought it in the first place if it didn't do what you wanted it to.

Weren't there some Garands used bythe navy in Korea that were already chambered in .308? Just find one of those, man, don't fuck up a relic. Unless it's a repro, then do whatever the fuck you want with it.

Also, user - for everyone saying that you're fucking up a relic - if you replace the barrel and add a spacer those are REMOVABLE. The weapon can be returned to its original state with a minimal amount of work.

If you cut it down, though, that's not the same thing, but, simply going 30-06 --> 308 is feasible AND reversible.

this. This is why you need to ask on BRG.

Buy a columbian M1 garand they converted them to them to 308. Or a BM 59. Or a M14

Original BM-59s would fit this criteria, but, they're MGs so they're not here in the states. You can look for a BM-62, but, good luck getting one

>wanting to convert a garand to .308 for “efficiency”
Why don’t you just get something in .308 instead? It’ll cost you more time and money than it is worth trying to spec out a garand like that.

Attached: 21A7EF77-8C2F-4152-915D-9E10443A6A02.jpg (800x999, 92K)

Literally filename.

this has to be bait

unfortunately, the guy that did these kind of mods has passed. The biggest I've seen is Shuffs .39 Wheelen mods, but, then the mag is only 4 rounds.

not really - I mean, don't get me wrong, the M1A is absolutely great for the $, and if you need the cheapest detachable box mags in a non AR-10 platform, it's the way to go.

That said, they're not without their faults/lemons, and the shorter you go with an M1A - the more proprietary the parts/the less compatibility with other existing stockpiles.

A shorty .308 M1 absolutely has a role in today's firearms market - were that not true Fulton wouldn't offer its T26S Scout models.

>you may need a new magazine and enbloc clips because of the length difference

Attached: uzaki 2_int_baka.png (248x277, 96K)

fug, all this talk makes me want a garand. id better start saving up

750 for service grade - p. easy to do v. other .308/30-06 systems.

german guns fucking suck lol

yeah, ive already eyed the cmp site. i have all the credentials already also. its just a matter of time, maybe after tax season

Off topic, but do BM 59 bayonets fit m1 garands?

Generally not because they're supposed to mount near the tricompensatore, while M1s generally didn't use Muzzle Devices in any way.

Thanks. I can't imagine it's possible to mess with one to mount it on the lug meant for an OG m1? Sweaty ben has brand new ones for $50, I'd rather try that than spend $200 for an original M1 bayonet.

unwise.

best thing about USGI is that there are parts out there - trying to mix-n-match is a good way to induce problems.

Just suck it up and pay the 200$.

Nyet, rifle is fine

USNavy Disagrees.

>The only other manufacturer (aside from the actual USGI parts from the Military) that you can trust is Fulton Armory,

>not trusting the sole contractor that supplies the parts/spare parts for the remaining M14's and EBR's in service.

AKA Bula Defense.

If you want 'efficiency' rebarrel your M1 to 6.5Creedmeme
>not just effective at long range targets
>also explodes Fudds shit all across the interweb

Just get an M1A, you dehydrated diabetic.

navy tried to convert 30-06 m1's to .308 with a block and it failed horribly.

They provide the material for Fulton, No?

if not - 2 then.

They work fine - there's no major history of issues in the conversion. It's just that it never wound up getting used in a combat scenario.

An ungodly abomination, but many keks had.

Hijacking this shitty thread with my own garand questions.

I have come into possession of the family's Garand (Nov. 1942 Springfield). It's a mixmaster from the Danish CMP stock. All parts are mismatched aside from the receiver and op rod. Barrel is a 1955 Springfield, but pitted to high hell because my dad shot corrosive through it and then left it for 15 years. Havent gotten any gauges, but after a week of overnight Hoppes soaks the bore is shiny-ish, but is as pitted as a Nestle crunch bar. Stock is worn to high hell.

Whats the consensus on restorations with reproduction stocks and new barrels? I could force this back into 1942, but she's seen so much history and so many parts that it feels like it would be a disservice to the rifle's experience. Would getting a quality reproduction stock and new barrel count as Bubba'ing it, or is it a tasteful update of the rifle?

I don't care much about collector value. I want to keep this in the family as an heirloom and shooter.

>They work fine - there's no major history of issues in the conversion. It's just that it never wound up getting used in a combat scenario.

the sleeve conversion navy m1's had huge problems and can explode if they get to hot when the insert backs it self out, it was a common problem and CMP even states the type 1 navy garands are not safe to shoot.

the type 2 conversions are fine.

Fair enough, but, I don't really know much of Type 1s nor have I seen any in the wild.

>vintage war rifle

CMP Garands are franken guns, and .308 converted Garands have been used by the US Navy

Get fucked

They're much more common than you think.

my lgs has one in 300 win mag

And I'm sure US Navy Garands are more affordable than just doing a simple conversion.

BM59 conversion?

There were US arsenal re-barreled M1 Garands available from CMP for years. I'm sure you can find one for sale if you look hard enough. Don't rebarrel an M1 unless it's some "rack grade" mix master that needs a new barrel regardless of what you chamber it in.

Or you could get a new production one if you want.

Fuck you you degenerate sack of shit. You fucking cousin fucking bubbas GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD. IF YOU RE BARREL THAT FUCKING GARAND THE FIRST 308 BETTER GO THROUGH YOUR SKULL YOU FUCKING NIGGERFAGGOT. GO BACK TO ARMSLIST OR THE ALABAMA HORSE COCK EXPO. FUCK YOU BUBBA FUCK YOU

Attached: 1547520112850.gif (600x427, 1.99M)

The CMP ones are ~1200, and OP has a Garand already laying about.

Only a few places do a good BM-59 conversion, but, that's totally doable.

Fulton?

Yes, Fulton

Attached: rifle was fine.png (996x599, 112K)

>t. US ordnance Sept 1945-1959

>Some bubba'ing has already happened, so more bubba'ing is okay.
Strongly consider self-eradication

Has anyone tried their scout M1 tanker? looks great as a potential for a Cooper-style Scout rifle.

LOL it's funny because I sold a mint Yugo to a guy and the first thing he told me after handing me the cash was that he was going to slap crapco and a chink red dot on it. He was a hick, and he was driving a lifted truck.

>A block
Wtf are you talking about. If you mean the metal block they installed on the mag floor plate to stop rust pickers from shoving in a .30-06 clip, then that wasn't the thing that failed. The US Navy cheaped out and thought they could convert .30-06 garands to .308 by using a .308 chamber insert while they waited for m14 to be more available. It was the insert that kept flying out of the chamber after a certain amount of rounds. That is what failed and the Navy started just swapping for .308 barrels like they should of from the beginning. finding an honest to god navy garrands is kind of hard. When the Navy noticed the issue they started the process of barrel conversion pretty quick. Unless it still has the barrel insert or explicit paperwork that proves authenticity then any chuckle fuck can install a .308 barrel on an old looking m1 and call it a rare Navy m1.

To conclude, .308 is a fine conversion and a very common conversion. So much that you can buy a .308 m1 from the cmp. They're not old usgi navy garands and they do not advertise them as such but they use all usgi parts sans the criterion .308 barrel.

If it's been done by the US military in practice, even if it's just the Navy, it's sanctioned "bubba"-ing

Again, get fucked

I didn't even know there *was* an official bubba sanctioning authority, much less that it's the US Navy.

Oh, wait, that's because there isn't, and you're a cretin.

>CMP Garands are franken guns
They were franken guns before the camp got a hold of them.

Booty = Blasted.

Go cry to the Navy then about how they bubba'd your precious Garands

You're obviously a cretin who can't appreciate anything nice. Go buy a Hi-Point and a Maverick 88.

Anus = Annihilated.

True that. The USMC standard procedure for cleaning guns back in WWII was to have each platoon strip their weapons, throw them into a single vat of solvent, and then re-assemble them with zero concern for maintaining serialized parts or anything. A firing pin is a firing pin, right? They ran into problems with guns like the Reising, which while being a fine subgun for LEO/Police was not really well suited to the rigors of combat, let alone having hand fitted parts thrown into a bucket and then put back into guns for which they weren't fitted. The Garands got the same treatment. I'm not entirely sure about US Army SOP, but I don't doubt it was similar especially from unit to unit.

I concur, you're retarded.

This nigga gets it

>never ever milsurp cucks still at it
Fuck all of you. Take your bullshit attitude towards those who wish to use their guns and turn it into an honest Jow Forums worthy attitude of disdain for government bans and destruction. Seriously, shut the fuck up unless you are complaining about the right thing.

If the barrel is truly unsalvageable, I'd set it aside (maybe keep it in case it can be fixed later) and get that new barrel.
It also depends on how worn the stock is. Does it really need to be replaced? Show us the wood.

>all this butthurt over a PERIOD modification

imagine being this autistic

I guess it's unacceptable to own leverguns in anything but 44. henry and 45-60

Only non autistic answer in this thread. Thanks user.

I like it.

I like it a lot

Attached: acid kicks in.gif (400x400, 1.6M)

It's super comfy and surprisingly handy but I've only shot an unmodified .308 tanker Garand.

>Listened to my dad chatting with grandpa about doing this with his garand.
Well, thankfully I don't think he can because I guess the government still "owns it"?

>not 6.5 swede for max fuddruckers
Or 8mm Mauser to send Jow Forumstards into a tizzy because those were Israeli conversions

Boomers who won't stop worshiping .30-06

do you have the AK47 one?

You can sell yours to me and use the money buy one in .308

Not with that cock in your mouth.

>You don't have to get it rebarreled, just swap a .308 criterion barrel for a 30-06 one.

...that is literally the definition of rebarreling a gun.

my apologies. I thought that was only when you re-bored a barrel.

if that's true, then yes, you'd need to rebarrel it.

Have you ever handled one of the shuffs 16" tankers? They're the length of a M1 carbine, and are apparently the ultimate brush gun.

What I lust after.

Attached: ivan chesnokov.png (1153x450, 96K)

Rather than convert it, why not just build one in .308? Up here in Canada we have a lot of stripped Italian Garand receivers- if you have them down in the states that would be a good solution. Garand Guy sells the parts kits and we import them.

Attached: BredaM1R1__51278.1543492152.jpg (700x343, 31K)

Those are the various BM-59 et al models from the Italian military. If they were FA at any one point, then cannot be brought into the USA as they count as full-auto weapons still.

We do have lots and lots of 30-06 recievers around that are nearly completely compatible thought.