Do tank and artillery guns have safeties to prevent people's hands from getting crushed when the breech is closing...

Do tank and artillery guns have safeties to prevent people's hands from getting crushed when the breech is closing after putting a shell in? Loading looks like a cool job but also dangerous.

Attached: breech.jpg (1024x768, 309K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Dxuk4cyvC9c
youtube.com/watch?v=bWgrFwRdbD8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just get your hand out of the way and you'll still be able to jack off with it at the end of the day.

Judging by how fast you see the loader snatch his hand back in every video I've seen of any self-locking artillery piece being loaded, I'd say... probably not. There really isn't any way to make one that would reliably retain the shell.

bumping cuz ive kind of always wondered this.
tankers here?

i have no fucking clue. But I guess you just gotta think of it like a table saw. you can get comfortable around it, but it just has to be beaten into your subconcious to keep your hand away

Yeah, I heard they are well-trained but accidents happen. The gun recoiling backwards can also kill if you don't get out of the way or fall behind it or something.

Do rifles have safeties to prevent the gun from firing if you put your hand over the muzzle?

Completely different.

No, but it's not exactly easy to get your hand caught in my experience. The op pic is the breech in an Abrams, and after you load the round it raises into place, so it doesn't really smush your dick skinner

The shells have a rim, on tank rounds at least. I saw a training film years ago with the instructor telling him to ball his fist and ram it home. Your hand will stop at the breach due to the rim, and the block or whatever you call it rises up under your arm so its pretty hard to get caught.

That sounds much safer. I couldn't tell from videos if they put their fist into the barrel.

You make a fist and 'punch' the round home.
That way if your wanktool is slow getting out of the way as the block rises it will push the fist away.
If you push with fingers, it will bite the tips off.

I don't know about modern day cannons, but when using the M1 57mm you would ball up a fist and ram the shell into the gun. the breech would push your hand out of the way
if you didn't ball up your hand, you had a risk of your fingers being crushed

Well that seems easy enough to form a fist rather than use your fingers.

I wonder about the recoiling of the gun, though. Like if you accidentally fall in front of it when the gun fires. I guess that's unlikely to happen since it's very brief and the tank is usually not moving while firing.

How?

In both cases the solution is the same - don't put your hand in harm's way and it won't be harmed. Why would you need a safety mechanism for that?

You underestimate the menatl capacity of many in the armed service.

I mean in this case you have to repeatedly put you hand there, whereas with a gun's muzzle there is no reason why you should put your hand in front/in danger.

*Overestimate

Basically the round being chambered fully is what triggers the breach to close. So it's typically hard to get caught. Auto loaders a different story though.

Attached: tankbreach.gif (480x270, 3.42M)

How has this video not been posted yet?
youtu.be/Dxuk4cyvC9c

>right in the balls

Attached: manfaceaua.jpg (600x693, 56K)

Did he died?

Nah more like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=bWgrFwRdbD8

I suspect he's fine. Even the chinks put some more spring in their step when someone's hurt and they get roasted if they do nothing.

Didn't google but iirc he died shortly thereafter. Absolutely fucked his internal organs and died of hemorrhaging.

Damn. I've always liked artillery but shit like this is scary.

the big guns are scary on the other end too

Why? Just don't stand in the way, and you will be fine

have you never heard of "tankers hand"? its pretty well known that if you work a tank gun long enough you'll lose some fingers or fingertips.

That is why tank crews have very specifc fire commands. So much so, that when the tank commander gives the final order to fire, the last step before pulling the trigger for the main gun, is to ensure the breaches' path of recoil is clear.
The recoil of the breach on the 120mm M256 is between 12 to 14 inches, and if someone has any part of their body within that area when it goes off, well its going to be a very bad day for all parties involved.

>Well I just liked big metal tubes filled with explosives specifically designed to kill people and for some obscure reson I didnt know they could be dangerous

Whats next, you like supercars but then suddenly realize dying because you drove too fast, lost traction and crashed into a lamppost would be unpleasant?

kek exactly why i got out of fast cars and into pistol shooting. as long as im not stupid ill be fine fast cars are dangerous pretty much as long as you drive them

Its really the same thing tho. You can still drive a Lambo at 30 mph and be as safe as people who take the train.

Just like you can own a pistol, shoot it like a functiong human beeing and not be retarded. But in reality we all know thats not fun and in the end we will start doing slightly retarded stuff when we are bored and think nobody can see us.

no its not because you have to drive 80mph on the freeway first of all and then on a more philosophical level i can shoot on private property with modern weapons and modern ammunition where i can control all the variables
the chaos inherent in the roads is why i avoid them if i can and why road laws and (lol) car insurance are fucking retarded and also in a way they are a double tax. the whole car idea is surrounded by stupidity especially when you consider the fact that worldwide Fossil fuel vehicles are destroying the earths natural life support system

Attached: 726546._UY475_SS475_.jpg (475x475, 48K)

>I worked at a surplus store once
>vet came in to sell us more of his uniforms and equipment
>guy walk with an obvious limp, and uses a cane and has a prosthetic leg from the knee down, but isnt older than 25
>first time ive seen this guy, but manager recognizes him
>"Haha, this time none of it has my blood on it"
>I wot visibly
We have a policy against buying bloody kit, but never had this problem before
>later on I ask what happened
he tells me this almost verbatim
"I was on a training operation in (some midwest state) and I was sleeping in my Abram. We had a round in the chamber and the barrel was pointed upwards. The rest of my crew had exited the tank, to do something. While I was sleeping, some private tried to climb down into the tank to get me, and while entering slipped and his boot hit the trigger of the gun. The gun recoiled into my leg, shattering the bones and crushing the rest of it. My leg was mush, and I was medically discharged. I spent a couple years in a wheelchair before recovering."

I dont know if its true, but he seemed genuine, much moreso then most of the guys who had war stories.

On the M1 you have to unlock the breech before it'll raise.

You also have to hold down the safety bar for the main gun firing circuit to complete.

Loader is actually a pretty good spot on the Abrams. He's usually the second best man in the vehicle.

Who said you need to drive on public roads, its a car designed for racetracks.

Well yeah, fossil fuels are bad but what does that have to do with anything?

Unless the m1 gun has some kind of manual "punch to fire"-feature somewhere on the gunmount itself, i kinda doubt it. But den again you never know

this can't happen with any gun used by first world countries

>fall in front of it when the gun fires
if you're in front of the gun when it fires you'll have more to worry about than fugged gingers

you fist the round into it. make a fist and use your fist to push the round in so that your fingers dont get chopped off

If’s the same for the M109A6

American 155mms are loadrd with devices that make it impossible to slam hands unless bug mistakes are made.

Attached: EE5C468D-9B1F-4E8D-AB34-29D9B1C96B74.jpg (4032x3024, 1.89M)