Hello Jow Forums

Hello Jow Forums

My grandfather passed and decided I should have this Arisaka I can't find much about it besides youtube videos of guys praising it, field stripping it, and posting their historical "run and guns"

Does anyone have some good resources I can check out to learn more about this piece?

I'll post a few more pictures in the mean time

Attached: KIMG0892.jpg (4160x2340, 1.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

steinelammo.com/product/7-7-x-58-japanese-arisaka-150gr-sp-light-recoil/
oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
archives.gov/veterans
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: KIMG0895.jpg (4160x2340, 1.56M)

Mum in tact or ground? Any story from grandpa of his time in service?

Attached: KIMG0894.jpg (4160x2340, 1.59M)

Attached: 61F90B1A-6A96-42A8-86FE-5487438A814C.jpg (640x480, 61K)

Bro that chrysanthemum made that shit a real hot item, lucky dog

Beautiful. Mine was ground. I heard something about mum in tact means a captured rifle, ground means surrendered.

mums there in all its glory. The only thing we know about his service was he was a marine officer and he would tell my grandmother he never wanted to see that much destruction again and it was behind him. He only left it to me cause I joined back in 07

hard to make out but the numbers on the bolt are 130

Attached: KIMG0897.jpg (4160x2340, 1.5M)

From what i have read from general and reddit (No insult) Apparently all japanese captured riflels at one point in the U.S had the flower grinded off so with the symbol increases the value

No, those are the ones surrendered during the occupation. The ones with mums were captured during the war.

From what i found its rare but in the way it makes it worth an extra buck or two only if the people care. Either way I'm grateful. Any advice on cleaning it? The bores pristine but the outer barrel needs some loving

Attached: KIMG0900[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.43M)

Looks like the furniture has taken a fucking beating too not sure how to clean it I'm afraid to touch it

Attached: KIMG0901[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.61M)

Post butt plate
Last ditch rifles had wood butt plates.

Check under that barrel band to see of the stock is cut
Some returning soldiers would cut the stock under that band so it would fit in their duffle
Referred to as a duffle cut

Hard metal butt no sharpie fitting in there

Attached: KIMG0902[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.52M)

This band here?

Attached: KIMG0903[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.38M)

That’s a common crack on arisaka stocks
Because of wood shortages, japs has to glue wood together to make it large enough
Google for a correct repair

Yes
Here is a picture of a duffle cut stock.
Collectors will like it because proof it was brought back by a soilder

Attached: DF5B2AC5-62F6-42AD-BCA8-607E77F9A87E.jpg (424x697, 93K)

Good to know it had me slightly worried. Is it safe to fire with that crack?

Rather than tackling a repair myself I'm thinking I should try to find some expert and have it done right

Not that user, but yes

Not to keen on loosening that screw but I'm thinking she's not a duffle cut

Attached: KIMG0904[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.29M)

Safe to shoot yes
But expect the crack to grr worse
I see some surface rust
How is the bore?
Stop the rust and the cracks before it destroys the rifle
Also 7.7 jap ammo is hard to find
And expensive when you do
Expect to pay $1.00 or more per round.

Does grampa have the leather frog for the bayonet?
The leather rotted in the pacific and not many survived
If you have one it might be worth more than the rifle.

the surface rust bothers me as well. The scabbard on the bayonet is in rough shape. The bore and the bolt group is in great shape zero rust he must of lubed those up nicely before throwing it the safe.

If it's out of fear of marring up the metal use a brass or aluminum shim to sheath your screwdriver and just go slow.

A great family treasure, user. If it hasn't been fired in a long time, I'd take it to a gunsmith and pay him a little to make sure that it's safe to shoot (and maybe even do a little rust cleanup and/or fix that crack). If it is safe, then enjoy. Yes, ammo is a little on the rarer side, but Steinel still makes new-manufacture stuff for it, and as long as you're not in a cuck state you can order it from the directly: steinelammo.com/product/7-7-x-58-japanese-arisaka-150gr-sp-light-recoil/

You're lucky, user. Treat her well!

I just noticed the aircraft sites
That will command a premium
Photo of the site out

Im not familiar with the leather frog

The exterior of the scabbard is metal the interior seems like a kind of leather. the picture doesn't show how much surface rust is on the scabbard though its gonna need some lovin

Attached: KIMG0906[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.6M)

Thanks for the link Jow Forumsomrade! I live in NH they seem to be pretty alright about ordering ammunition

They flip out and slide smoothly

Attached: KIMG0907[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.34M)

To be honest, this rifle is worthless and nobody will buy it from you even the most avid collector.
I however will give you $200 for it OP, very good deal

OP, use this as a resource to date it and find more information out about it. I used it to find out about mine as well:

oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html

AA sights are rare, user.
You filthy kike, it even came with a bayonet?

Show us the rear of the bolt.

That's actually wrong, the reason is they didn't want a weak toe that could chip off easily, so they fitted the lower half of the stock with wood that had the grain running parallel with the stock angle. It's simply age that has weakened the glue and make it appear "cracked"

Yeah user,
With those sites, the intact mum.
That rifle is worth restoring
As long as the restoration is done well

That’s nice like a 1000$ 800$ rifle if it all matches
It’s missing the dust cover and legs
Mum is worth 50$

Attached: E4267231-A79C-427C-AB51-A576FE503811.jpg (854x1246, 122K)

kek

Attached: KIMG0908[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.37M)

This thread makes me happy

Tell me stories about grampa killing japs.

Nice rifle, sorry about your grandpa user.

Thanks for the OC thread OP
Today, Jow Forums did not suck

Thank you for sharing that page with me

Wish I could. He slipped mentally years ago. All we know for sure is he was the very end of Iwo Jima, was at Guadalcanal, and then was somewhere on mainland Japan after the bombs were dropped and the whole family knew it was a topic strictly forbidden to bring up.
thank you sir

Hey OP, just aa heads up if you didnpt know, but that bayoonet would be worth a pretty penny too, if it is from one of the rarer factories. Can you post some pictures of the markings on the reciever and bayonet? From your image, I think the grips are held by rivets, but I might be wrong. Anyways, nice gun, and tell us the story of your grandpa killing Japs to us

That's some good shit. Love it always, I'm assuming this isn't your first gun?

OP
Family can request veterans military service records.
The records might list medals, achievements or Commendations
You could but those on display with the rifle to honor your grandfather and his service
Maybe something like pic related

archives.gov/veterans

Attached: D20E13F8-0200-457D-A8E8-0F43420F471D.jpg (330x330, 15K)

It's screwed together but in serious need of cleaning. BTW camera on this phone is a total pain in the dick

I'm a farmer I got all sorts of flavors. This however is my first historic piece I'm hesitant to do anything to it myself. I figure tomorrow I'd start looking for an expert to clean it up and restore it proper like

Thanks man. From what I understand I'm also inheriting his steam trunk that has his uniforms medals and papers but who knows whats in there.
Also this recatcha shit is getting to be a real pain in the ass and the whiskey aint helping

I recommend you don't restore it. Clean it up, prevent further deterioration but stop there. I'd bet 99% of the damage on that gun was picked up in the field. The flaws themself are historic.

Attached: KIMG0911[1].jpg (4160x2340, 1.38M)

for sure I should say have it spec'd for safety and cleaned up properly instead of restored I have no intention on replacing the furniture

OP, most arisakas has the symbol of the emperor scrubbed off before being sold to the U.S., intact chrysanthemum engravings make this a rare rifle.

OP here

Thanks Jow Forums I was able to get very helpful information and I'm glad some folks enjoyed seeing this little treasure my gramps left me. I'm going to have a qualified gunsmith look it over and long as it checks out I'll put some lead down range and post the results.

Jow Forums is a magical place

Either the finish or the wood (I don't remember which) has a chemical similar to poison ivy so you probably don't want to do anything to the furniture without the proper safety gear. I for one wouldn't want to breathe in poison ivy dust.

Your bayonet was made by Toyoda Automatic Loom Works, and looks blued from your picture, meaning that it was made after 1937, but no later than 1945 with Japan's surrender. What's cool about your gun is that it was made by Kokura but had a bayonet by Toyoda, which was managed by Nagoya. Little bit of trivia about Kokura Aresnal: it was supposed to be bombed by Fat Man instead of Nagasaki, but bad weather and clouds changed the flight plan to Nagasaki instead of Kokura. Anyways, it's always nice to see someone appreciate guns like the Arisaka that are almost ignored by milsurp collectors for more popular guns like Mausers.