What's the best helicopter for CAS?

Wht's the best helicopter for CAS?

Attached: 300px-AH64D_Longbow_Apache_-_Duxford_Autumn_Airshow_2010_(modified).jpg (300x207, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DbT-rvZoh_g?t=105
youtube.com/watch?v=OTBy5nNhS24
youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0M1RcfxFw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you just posted it

FPBP also really any helicopter that enjoys the fruits of air superiority.

Depends more on the pilot, surprisingly. I've called in all types, wasn't very impressed with the performance of the Apache; even in the hands of good pilots, air coverage was often cancelled by maintenance problems. Kiowas had amazing performance, especially in the hands of anyone with a Shamus callsign. Fuck, they loved killing shit. Also seen the OH-58 in the hands of bad pilots (looking at you, 101st Aviation). In ranking from experience in live training plus combat in Iraq and Afghanistan, I'd rate Kiowa>Cobra>Apache. Haven't seen a Hind in action, but I've heard mixed reviews.

That South African hind must be pretty good

Isn't it kinda vulnerable to even small arms fire?

its vulnerable, but thats just a relative term
its still a lot better safer to be in a helicopter than on the ground

its still relatively difficult to hit and is quite survivable even in a high threat environment
helicopters on the move are quite difficult to hit, while they are also able to utilize land features as cover and concealment
offensively, the 30mm cannon and missiles can hit much further away than most small arms, or even heavy machine guns, and the helicopter can take evasive maneuvers right after

the marines used the super cobra, a much less capable helo, during desert storm in an extremely high threat environment filled with autocannons, missiles, and small arms and they lost very few of them, mostly to crashes rather than enemy fire

Mi-28N, obviously.

Attached: ru fr us heli main difference.png (1585x632, 891K)

>South African hind
Meme abomination. Mi-35M is where it's at.

Attached: mi-24vm (3).jpg (1500x1013, 350K)

How can they be ugly and sexy at the same time?

I don't understand this "Hinds are ugly" meme.

Attached: mi-24v & ah-64.jpg (2850x1860, 709K)

>Wht's the best helicopter for CAS?
Hind and it's not even close for the second place.

Flying eggs

Just the individual parts like the windows look bug like, and parts seem bumpy, but stuck together those features seem to less apparent

>an ignorant grunt rating helicopters because of what he merely saw and had no actual knowledge or insight as to why the helos did what they did and why they did it

Next we'll hear from an Ace Combat player who ranks jets based on how he likes flying them in an arcade game.

Coming up later, a CoD kid ranks Assault rifles based his experiences playing shitty online games. Stay tuned on Jow Forums, where idiocy and ignorance reigns supreme.

Idk, I think it's pretty sleek.

Attached: mi-24vm (11).jpg (1920x1280, 713K)

Woah.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.
youtu.be/DbT-rvZoh_g?t=105

Attached: mi-28nm (3).jpg (1200x814, 368K)

Is this thing any good?

Attached: ka_52.jpg (2200x1080, 91K)

after 2006 and countless losses in iraq they forbit the apache helis to fly low

Yes, it's pretty fucking great.

Attached: ka-52k & kh-35 (1).jpg (1498x1124, 295K)

Tell us a story, uncle user!

That's a big missile.

You

Attached: drone_squadron.png (1104x1104, 319K)

I dunno why but I adore how this thing looks

What helicopter isn't?

Former 19K here
A big part of TCGST was vehicle ID
Our salty old master gunner always told us that is we ever saw picrelated that we were in for a bad fucking day. Other helos didn’t get a response, but he hated the Havoc.
He said if we saw one, everyone action on it and start lobbing sabots at it and hope we get lucky.

Attached: C4FA6889-4C75-4A6F-8059-67D9D6CCE163.jpg (1280x720, 135K)

Attached: ka-27 launching kh-35.jpg (1284x1041, 138K)

Attack helos were only really a problem for MBTs before they got thermals, computer assisted FCS, programmable ammunition and or GLATGMs. A helo would always be spotted way, way farther than a tank could even if they tried hiding just above cover. About the only chance a helo has would be if climbed any higher than the elevation of the gun, but then again that opens the helo to longer range SAMs.

Can't decide which nose variant I like the most.

Attached: ka-52 with kh-25ml.jpg (798x524, 81K)

Not really

Attached: Ka-52-Dzhankoi.jpg (697x372, 19K)

I dunno, this thing below? Looks particularly well armoured to me
>The design of the cabin is applied highly resistant armor, a fully armored plane-parallel glazing can withstand direct hits by armor-piercing bullets 12.7 mm windshield and bullets caliber 7,62 mm in the side Windows and glass doors, body armor withstands high-explosive projectiles caliber 20 mm, the blade operates in contact with the 30-mm shells

I'd wager much more cost effective than an apache in a low threat environment, but way less ability to survive or be sneaky/precise in a moderate to high threat one

Its a dielectric radome. Its never going to resist anything. They armour the rear of the radar doe.

Hind and Havoc.

The more importantly take away from the picture is that it shot itself because the "fixed" guns bounce around so wildly when firing.

I know it's inferior in some respects but I much prefer the Ka-50.

The radome not resisting gunfire may not be an issue. The radome being hit the the helicopter's own gun however...

Attached: Da.jpg (1024x692, 117K)

Did that nigga shoot himself?

>but way less ability to survive or be sneaky/precise in a moderate to high threat one
There's no sneak for a helo:
>audio signature heard for miles
>thermal signature of a helo heated by jet exhaust and air friction over a clear sky backdrop
>large radar signature primarily from rotating rotors and mast assembly
The only way to survive would be to act like a jet, and have much longer ranged sensors and weapons in the hope of just avoiding getting within the engagement range of most threats.

Soon

Attached: Atak 2 (2).jpg (700x466, 39K)

That's weird. All of you guys spelled Kiowa wrong.

Attached: OH-58D_1st_Squadron,_17th_Cavalry_Regiment_(cropped).jpg (908x619, 132K)

It's not a fixed gun.

The gun isn't fixed static relative to the body of the helo. Its allowed to swivel for a few degrees around to allow for more accurate aimed fire. A simple fix is to simply restrict the gun from getting to the point that it might hit the sides. Something like a piece of metal to act as a bump stop would do pretty well.

Yep, the contra rotating propellers also sometimes strike each other in flight. This thing wants to kill itself badly.

No way it's not a feature already, must've been some malfunction.

Based and crazy cowboy pilled

Well it could be designed into the gun laying drives but I'd prefer a fail-safe option.

If you turn too hard sure, it could cause the blades to collide. Its a tradeoff. On the other hand without a tail rotor you can survive getting hit in the tail.

I really doubt that - there are very few places where an old soldier could have seen one in action.

They weren't active until recently.

Great picture Mandic. You are such a fag, I remember you from the good old Ukraine war days. Kind of nostalgic seeing you around.

I do wonder if there is a point. The MI-28 came out of Chechnya - the Russians used to pop MI-24s out from a building at almost point blank and light up a firing position. They realized they needed more armor for that. So it seems it would work for urban warfare, but I imagine it would still go down immediately if it ran directly into 23/30mm autocannon.

youtube.com/watch?v=OTBy5nNhS24

I'm in a job that allows me to see AWTs quite regularly. The Apache is very good at what it does.

hind it can also carry troops

the americans have always been scared and jelous of them

>MI-28 came out of Chechnya
>First flight 10 November 1982

Attached: mi-28a.jpg (1280x833, 658K)

Looks like a fucking rat.

This

Attached: 410093A2-9B86-4A15-93DA-A01323F20372.jpg (1200x739, 102K)

Which is cool as fuck. Look at this aggressive motherfucker ready to gnaw on your throat.

Attached: this havoc is so fierce it has a bayonet on its cannon.jpg (1200x908, 923K)

>God tier
AH-1Z
AH-64E
Mi-35M
>Good tier
AH-64D
AH-1W
Mi-28N
Ka-52
Tiger
>OK tier
Mangusta
Ka-50
Mi-24VM
AH-1S
>Bad tier
Mi-24D
AH-1G

Obviously any airframe or regional sub-variant that's been retrofitted with more more advanced avionics or weaponry can go up in tier.

Some airframes are brought down by idiosyncracies- semi-rigid rotor on pre-Z Cobras, single crewmember on Ka-52.

Attached: imgp4205-large.jpg (1626x1080, 292K)

is that a bayonet on the barrel?

>Mi-35M
>Mi-24VM
You realize that the former is an export name of the latter, right?

Attached: mi-24vm (8).jpg (1400x947, 221K)

And it's coming for your cheese

Attached: 1414723334898.jpg (857x534, 56K)

Attached: 1414717034820.jpg (1824x1027, 338K)

>thinking it’s bad for a flying object to look like a bug
The Hind is perfect for terrorizing

Attached: 1384231259092.jpg (1600x1064, 379K)

Attached: ah64 missile test.webm (720x404, 2.74M)

Attached: Apache gun tracking.webm (1280x720, 475K)

Attached: MI17.webm (1280x720, 1.76M)

>>AH-66 Comanche never ever

Still hurts

Attached: Helo ground attack.webm (1280x720, 2.81M)

Attached: KA52.webm (640x352, 1.21M)

What the fuck

I have a good friend that flew the Hind doing jungle work in Sierra Leone, and he had nothing but glowing compliments for it's performance in terms of cost to kill ratio as well as survival vs. small arms, heavy machine guns, and sporadic AAA. The Kiowa pilots just tend to be ballsy because it's basically like flying a Kawasaki hair dryer with fucking rockets and gun pods. It appeals to a certain kind of lunatic that will fly in low and slow until he might as well affix bayonets.

The Mi-35 is the export version of the Mi-24V (which is probably what should be in ok tier, since the VM and Mi-35M are similar in capability).

The Mi-35M is the most advanced variant in use with Russian Armed Forces.

F-15 is the best fighter ever made

just lol at helicopters

Attached: 72A9A9F9-761F-4393-8111-8A68AC39C92F.jpg (599x399, 25K)

Attached: 98420DDE-A46B-4E2A-B223-08E0EEA061BE.jpg (763x543, 62K)

Do slavs just hate other slavs that much?

One hit to the cockpit will still disable it because the pilot won't be able to see shit.

No helicopter can survive being hit too much, even by small arms fire.

>AH-1Z
Its ok-tier at best.
Other than that replace the Mi-35 with a Ka-52. Apart from the capability to carry passengers the Mi-35 is worse in every aspect. Frankly the Ka-52 should be in a class all on its own.
>better sensors than any helo out there (Arbalet can detect and track more targets further away; can do SAR mapping so its about the only helo that can use the radar for the main sensor)
>better self protection suite (full complement of MAWS, LWR sensors with a DIRCM countermeasure)
>has 2 extra hardpoints, and can carry more than any other of this type
>Superior side by side workstation which allows for seamless cooperation between the crew
>larger set of weapons, from anti-ship to anti-armour
Its closer to a light fighter than any attack helo by most parameters. I dont see how its not at the top of everyones list for an attack chopper.

>get fucked up by Stinger and RPG
Is there any instance that attack copter actually contributes the most to the fight?

they use the terrain and nap-of-the-earth to avoid most dangers, then moving in to provide CAS in conjunction with the infantry to mutually support one another
marines suffered few casualties even in an extremely high-threat environment this way

the idea that certain weapons will make attack helicopters useless is about as fanciful as thinking tanks will become useless because of javelins

Mi-24V's export name is Mi-35. Mi-24VM's export name is Mi-35M.

Attached: mi-24vm (6).jpg (1100x745, 199K)

Attached: mi-24 bonked a-10.jpg (650x374, 63K)

>Is there any instance that attack copter actually contributes the most to the fight?
youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0M1RcfxFw
Imagine being kebab on the ground as these things circle around above your head and strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger.

Attached: mi-24p pilot laugh.jpg (600x1604, 105K)

nah, it's due to the 2A42 having shit barrel harmonics and flexing itself when it shoots.

WAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Attached: 7IRDpsz_d.jpg (640x433, 30K)

Dat ten with a cyclops tooth gun
>Battle ASS

Attached: 1540265346470.jpg (636x318, 16K)

Is that a bitch with wooden shoes near the front?

>Hind
>Even remotely good at CAS

I'd call you slavaboo, except that even Russia itself has vastly more capable attack helicopters than the Hind.

Attached: phpdNlZFA.jpg (1012x698, 70K)

>heavy guardsmen breathing

Attached: 1486975279289.png (465x471, 127K)

Attached: Attack Helicopter Comparison.jpg (1097x397, 207K)

Kek'd

Numbers for the Russian helos are wrong. Particularly egregious is the power: both Mi-28 and Ka-52 have 4000 kW instead of 3200 or 2300. How the fuck were those numbers different in the first place when both aircraft use the same pair of engines? The subhuman who made this ought to be shot.

Is the Hind the only tech that Soviet did better than US and NATO?

more like, the only one of its kind, since the US never tried to replicate the "flying IFV" concept

its somewhere between the blackhawk and super cobra in terms of role, but its much heavier than either of them
its not very good at ferrying troops
its a very good gunship, but its larger than it has to be for the role