I know we got fucked over by adopting the m14 instead of the FAL...

I know we got fucked over by adopting the m14 instead of the FAL. Are there any real advantages that the m14 has over the FAL? I can’t personally think of any

Attached: B54F3DB4-9034-428E-A3E2-26C904C2A1BA.jpg (3072x2304, 2.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mrPjlcJ3rtY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some of the parts are interchangeable with the Garand, and some Garand parts need only minor modifications to work in an M-14.
That means you can use some of the old parts in storage if something breaks.

Also you don’t have to fuck with the gas system every time you change ammo.

>We got fucked over
Dumb fuck

>any real advantages
it's an improved manual of arms over the current standard rifle used by the military at the time.

Every cold war era battle rifle is sacred. Change my mind.

Not really. The m14 was just a bastard child of the garand and BAR, both of which were completely outdated by the time the m14 was in service. The FAL was designed to be a true modern assault rifle until America stepped in and went all "but much .30 Cal". The FAL is just a better, more reliable design which is why it saw more than 5 years of service.

Its fine the hate probably comes from it being a USA only thing and calling Americans and American things stupid is a big meme. They're both long, heavy, early cold war battle rifles and splitting hairs is silly with them both being in roughly the same class.

M14 was designed by the equivalent of fudds going "muh .30 cal, muh M1 Garand design" who even went as far as sabotaging early M16s so they would be shitty because they were so butthurt the M14 was a total flash in the pan.

>America decides to not copy the Germans intermediate cartridge with the rest of the eurofags including the Soviets because autism
>Proto boomers reee
>Eurofags are stuck with full power rifle cartridges
>America and the m14 get shat on on nam
>Uhhh maybe we should go with a intermediate cartridge guise
>Entire planet eye rolls

It did unintentionally create our blessed holy battlerifles like the FAL and the G3 but other than that it was just reeeing from fudds in command

Attached: lVq2aDc.jpg (2000x1332, 832K)

>I know we got fucked over by adopting the m14 instead of the FAL.
FAL sucks

>Military small arm
>Changing ammo
Um...

The M-14's only error was that dam FA switch which was RARELY used because the muzzle would lift w/every shot. As for the ass hole talking about having to adjust the gas system, that's the FAL you idiot, the M-14 did not have gas adjustment because American ammo IS that good. The M-14 is extremely accurate, my issue M-14 was nearly MOA. The FAL is the true FAIL here.

I loved my M14, saw some pretty heavy action with it back in the day and it served me well, killed commies plenty good!
VetteVet51

M14 has MUCH better iron sights. I say this as someone who owns both.

>tfw no intermediate cartridge M14

Attached: image.jpg (2352x2748, 2M)

right on brother p.s. fuck obummer

>what is a mini-14

I don't understand why the m14 is talked about favorably in the mainstream while the m16 is completely shit on.

Is this the work of springfield shills being salty about losing their contract?

I'm still bummed that Ingram's M1 carbine based rifles in 5.56, 7.62x39, and 7.62x51 never saw production. The idea of an M1 carbine sized up to 7.62 NATO in a world where the M1A already exists appeals to me for some crazy reason.

>tfw no intermediate cartridge M14 that's not a mini-14

presumably for firing a grenade

Substantiate your claim.

AM SELLING A DPMS UPPER WITH A COLT BARREL AND BUSHMASTER BCG. 750 CASH, PM ME IF YOU WANT PICS

________________________________UNDERCOVER COPS ARE PROTECTING BRAZIL ONE BODY AT A TIME

You don't have to adjust the gas system for that. You just shut it off. FALs could come with grenade sights that did that.

Norinco>Ruger

Attached: IMG_9149-1.jpg (593x590, 218K)

Yes.
>Better sights.
>Better mechanical accuracy, which is also easier to achieve thanks to the better sights.
>Gas system doesn't need adjustment when switching ammunition types.
>Can tolerate a very wide range of ammunition, including steel cased.
>Can be topped off with strips.
>Reciprocating charging handle can function as a forward assist.
>Has a flip up shoulder brace and shooting sling.
>Safety can be deactivated very quickly before firing.
>Safety functions independently of fire selector, allowing the user to go from safe directly to semi or full auto depending on how the user set it.
>Open action makes FTEs very rare.
>Slightly lighter than a FAL, although there are heavier/lighter versions of both.

Of course many of these advantages are pretty marginal and it definitely has drawbacks. It really isn't as slick to reload and run as a FAL, which is a better rifle in closer-range city fighting but in more open terrain (where battle rifles shine) I'd rather take an M14.
>I know we got fucked over by adopting the m14 instead of the FAL.
Not really. In the grand scheme of things the concept of the battle rifle was more flawed than either the FAL or M14. If we had adopted the FAL we would have had most of the same problems with it and ditched it for the M16 later on anyway. If anything we would have ditched it faster because of how autistic the services were with individual rifleman marksmanship, which the M14 does way better.

Now if we had adopted .280 that would have been different.
Not really, pretty much the only part that actually interchanges is the hammer.
Well, it's probably better than the Mini-30.

It's the work of men who carried both and were dissatisfied with a pew pew .22 that James, multiplefeeds, and needs to be cleaned religiously to even stand a chance of functionality. The 14 is better all around. AR fags just can't wrap their vagina around that.

We were never going to adopt a foreign-made design.

Attached: AR10_PortugueseWbipod.jpg (700x530, 62K)

>Better mechanical accuracy,
Lmao with guns that have had dozens of hours of work put into them. The military production M14s had SHIT quality control and accuracy was generally low.
>Gas system is overgassed by default
ftfy
>Reciprocating charging handle can function as a forward assist.
Reciprocating charging handle that's also the op rod that's external and extremely susceptible to dirt, mud, and angry looks.
>Has a flip up shoulder brace and shooting sling.
ESSENTIAL attachments on a combat rifle.
>Safety is inside the trigger guard making NDs a large issue when manipulating it with gloves

And also
>M14's accuracy is largely dependent upon the quality of the barrel's bedding
>It's not even cheaper than the FAL to produce

It's the work of boomers who got shitty early production M16s with shittier ammo and haven't touched anything but thier trusty over-under shotgun since 'nam

Modern ARs are the most versatile combat weapons around, infinitely customizable and plenty reliable with basic maintenance

Not him but I dont think you realize just how inaccurate FALs are. The comparison is between M14s and FALs, not any other rifle

I think there are still some full giggle mini-14s floating around from its early years as an actual alternative assault rifle

>I know we got fucked over by adopting the m14
Idiot, you weren't even alive then!

what is 55,000 pound chamber pressure?

>You didn’t live in the timeline where the AR10 became standard

>Reciprocating charging handle that's also the op rod that's external and extremely susceptible to dirt, mud, and angry looks.
You've never even handled an M-14, half your shittery applies to the M-1, not the M-14. Any fool who even looked at a picture of an M-14 would know your a lying POS

M14 can be built on M1 Garand tooling.

youtube.com/watch?v=mrPjlcJ3rtY
Skip to 38 seconds in

I would have gone with .276 Pedersen back in the 30's so the army would have a better taste of long range, less(er) recoil and high natural bc cartridges like 6.5 swedish and 7x57 mauser then moving down to little schv rounds like 6mm SAW later on following/during WW2 once 7.92x33 is encountered or some examples are found.

>low pressure 6.5mm M14 in the 50's
Yummy

Man, if only they took the easy route with just making a slightly lighter box magazine Garand instead of a new design all together.

Hell, Garand himself had to lengthen the old M1 receiver a little bit so that the T20 could feed from their same-but-not-exactly-interchangable BAR-style magazine. If they were going with what was basically a shortened .30-06, a standard M1 Garand length receiver would have been perfect, as evidenced by the BM59

Damn shame too, the Dutch company that made it stopped making guns in the late 60s.

Aesthetics

>FAL was designed to be a true modern assault rifle until America stepped in and went all "but muh .30 Cal"

You're a fucking moron

t. Someone who has never fired an FAL

M14s were like 3 MOA guns, which is exactly where FALs were and slightly worse than G3's.

>*loses ur headspace*

Tl;dr you're all a bunch of fuckin nerds

We've changed powder loads at least three times in the last ten years.

How is he wrong? This outta be good....

>pew pew mUh .22!
Imagine it unironically thinking this in between turns on the oxygen mask and stuffing its face with things that have no nutritional value.

>You're a fucking moron
he's completely right, the FAL was originally chambered for .280 Brit

We (the whole fucking world) have known for a long time that the best universal rifleman/gun is 6.5-7mm in a case near around the size of the 7x57,276,308 whatever.
It was the big bore fudds that held it hack the first time. Now it's the. 22 crowd.

>Now it's the. 22 crowd.
are fudds actually asking for .22 FAL?

Attached: tumblr_p4azg2QcVy1w5fssmo1_1280.jpg (1080x718, 156K)

he's completely right you dumb faggot

>can be topped off with strips
>blocks your path

Attached: c1a1.jpg (800x600, 207K)

I know what you mean brother. Kids these days just don't get that a bigger cartridge is better than those weak modern ones. Really raises my cholesterol that they think their overpowered assault rifles from their video-games have a place in the society we worked so hard to protect!
DemoratKiller30-06

Should I pick up a FAL or m14? I can only afford one right now.

Kind of depends what you want. FAL is definitely slicker to load and operate. M14 is nicer to shoot. Both are a bit outdated, if you want peak performance for dollar an AR10 does it much better. If you want it cheap but balls reliable get a G3, although the ergonomics aren't very good.

Between the two I obviously prefer the M14 for the nicer sights, plus I like the more traditional rifle stock layout. You aren't really on the wrong path looking for a FAL either though.

You mean with 5.56? That's wrong tho. M193 and M855 used essentially the same powder (the difference between WC844 and WC846 being the amounts calcium carbonate). So with M855A1 that's 3 slight changes over 50 years. Oh lawd.

>Slightly worse than G3s
>Worse than G3s
You got a source for that because roller delayed guns are accurate as hell. German DMRs (the SG1) were rack G3s with better triggers. The accuracy requirement being 2moa. Slightly BETTER than the requirements for both the FAL and M14.

Shit, the original CETME was required to hit man sized targets at 1000m.

Every M1A that I’m aware of is around 1moa. FALs are known to have Shit accuracy

I think about this all the time. Because the adoption of 7.62x51 has lead to a common gpmg cartridge and Dmr cartridge. Maybe we would have standardized on an in between of 7.62x51 and 5.56x45, but I doubt it would have made a good gpmg or assault rifle round.