What do you think of surplus flak jackets?

Just bought one. It's an older pasgt mode that's well used for 75$. Was thinking about reinforcing it with spare kevlar and/or steel and aluminum plates to make it into some mad max shit IIIa rated vest.

Attached: s-l400 (1).jpg (400x388, 38K)

That flak jacket looks just as good as what we used in army during my conscription, last year.
But, they aren't supposed to protect you from anything but shrapnells iirc.

user, do not put aluminum plates.
Aluminum spalls and burns very intensely

I noticed that while using my angle grinder on aluminum. All i have to do is use a proper anti spalling material if I do use aluminum.

i have one that caught 9mm just fine

LIES!
THIS IS A TRAP
FUCK OFF TURBO SATAN

Attached: 35B1D34F-8E45-4CD1-B7A2-F31703D9F3A9.jpg (1200x674, 88K)

I had one that I shot the crap out of. 9mm fmj went through both sides. Largest rounds it would reliably stop were .380 hp's and .38 S&W lrn.

Uh, no. Aluminum dust, which is something that would be created, isn't fully contained by an anti spalling layer. Aluminum dust is highly, highly reactive to heat, static electricity, even excessive oxygen exposure. Keep in mind aluminum dust is the base for termite, it burns at extremely high temperatures. Stick to tempered steel plates and ceramics.

All I've ever done is try to free you.

Attached: 20190310_120113.jpg (640x480, 229K)

Aluminum is way too soft to be worth a fuck for armor. PASGT vests are bulky, heavy, and very "old school" in their cut so they suck for range of motion, and have 0 adjustability outside what the (likely dry rotted) elastic straps on the sides and shoulders yield. You can't open them to add armor without unstitching them, since they were never intended for this. They're only good for reliving late cold war nostalgia.

You would be much better off with a slick armor carrier and real armor, that can be dressed up to look post-apoc-chic while actually being useful. You're more likely to catch bullets than shrapnel in a civil setting.

I was considering having it set up like this

>undecided anti spall cover
>steel plate
>aluminum plate
>pasgt vest
>undecided extra padding/weight distribution system

Might be heavy as shit for IIIa protection but there would be very little blunt force trauma. still better than ned kellys armor.

do you need input? what's the point of this thread?

Attached: 1140.jpg (400x225, 16K)

Lmao imagine buying that piece of shit for 75 dollars. You can find plate carriers decades newer than some stone age garbage for like 50 bucks at any surplus store near a military base. If you just want soft/flak armor, buy something you can at least wear under a shirt so its actually practical

a 50$ plate carrier without plates isnt going to do much good is it? A plate carrier doesnt provide the full torso protectoion either. You can be shot between the front and side plates. what do you mean under a tshirt? Ive got a trench coat I wear daily thatll cover my pasgt without printing

it can be flak jacket general or a suggestions thread. anything about body armor.

What were these flak jackets used for? Surely they weren't able to stop bullets.

>what was a FLAK jacket used for

Attached: F4446CC8-5395-415C-A054-900B555EF574.jpg (680x989, 95K)

Its still kevlar but with less layers than more modern militairy kevlar vests you dipshit cia nigger faggot. less layers = less weight = more room for extra kevlar and ballistic plates. cant beat it for 75$

>daily wears a trench coat with a PASGT flak jacket underneath

You’re fucking weird, and if you’re at all serious about concealed armor you’d get a modern 3A soft vest.

What.

wear normal concealed armor sewn into a jacket, you school shooter.

concealed vests are for s o y b o y s. I rock out with my cock out.

sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire. akhmed has AKs and so do we

They look neat, and are def. better than nothing, but in general they're pretty obsolete.
You can find a pair of Lv3 plates for 100 bucks, and slap them into a cheap used / chink carrier for a small fraction of that. Hell, I bought an entire IBA set for a hair under 100 dollars from Ebay a few years back, and not only does it double as a plate-carrier, but its kevlar's protection level is way above PASGT's.

You'd rock out harder if you weren't sticking out like a sore thumb with inferior armor.

So I bought AR500 bedliner coated level plates a few years back with a airshit carrier, is it worth keeping, like if I put it inside a kevlar armor system? I bought it on a whim years ago before hearing about it with my last $100 at a gun show.

U wasted ur money on a meme, lad

* Level III

And I was specifically thinking about inteceptor armor, or the improved stuff. Hell, couldnt I buy a roll of kevlar and wrap the plates for anti spall?

Yes if the plates actually fit inside the kevlar carrier. the kevlar can act as extra padding for the rifle grade plates or it may even be able to catch an armor piercing round if youre lucky

yea kevlar will stop spalling

Just don't get shot by 556 or you will die.

Low velocity shrapnel only. Maybe lead shotgun shot too.

It'll stop boomer 45