Gun Safes

Redpill me on gunsafes

About how much should a good safe cost? I know the lower end have shit locks and come apart easier.

Should I bolt it on concrete, or is keeping it in the house OK? I don't trust my flooring, or anyone with a cargo dolly.

Should I go for one big safe or a couple of medium safes? I have a lot of rifles, over a dozen.

Separate safe for handguns?

Attached: gun-safes-rifle-safe-products-hollon-bhs-16e-black-hawk-series-gun-safe-1_large.jpg (320x480, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

standardscatalog.ul.com/standards/en/standard_687_15
deansafe.com/ratings101.html
deansafe.com/gun-safes-faq.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I just keep my 1911 under my pillow. Gun safes are kinda bullshit in my opinion.

Seattle, I'm supposed to at least lock them in a cabinet or some shit.

Damn. Texas. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to put them somewhere but I just can't be fucked.

They are good if you have children or suicicidal people living in your house. Or if you are susceptible to being robbed by roaming packs of Jamal’s while you aren’t home. Otherwise who cares

You should always have a safe. In my city we just apprehended a gang of kids that were breaking into cars and houses. They seemed like just average middle school stoners but they had a shit ton of guns and women's purses in their rooms, along with various other valuables, social security cards, birth certificates, etc. Any one of your neighbor's kids could be a shithead, you don't have to live in a nigger infested area to be burglarized.

The best safe is a hidden one. Can't break into it or wheel it out if you don't know where it is. Underneath a couch or bed with a hollow bottom. Also look into "storage furniture." If you don't wanna go that far, people breaking into your house with crowbars and wheelbarrows isn't really that common, but you should absolutely lock your shit up. You'll only realize how dumb and irresponsible you are after you lose all the guns you love. Have fun buying them all over again under a (((Bernie))) presidency.

Most "gun safes" are really just glorified lockers. Will keep out a kid who doesn't know the code/have the key, but won't stop anyone with a crowbar for more than a couple minutes. Also, fire ratings are almost always bullshit because the manufacturers use their own "standards" that are usually obtuse and mean nothing.

the safes always hold a lot fewer rifles than they're "rated" for, especially if you have anything with pistol grips. Get bigger than you think you need

Exactly.
If it isn't UL rated, it doesn't mean shit.
1 Scope

1.1 These requirements cover combination locked burglary-resistant safes classified as follows:

a) Test attack against the door and front face:

1) Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TL-15

2) Tool-Resistant Safe – Deposit Safe

3) Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TL-30

4) Torch- and Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TRTL-30

b) Test attack against the door and body:

1) Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TL-15X6

2) Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TL-30X6

3) Torch- and Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TRTL-15X6

4) Torch- and Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TRTL-30X6

5) Torch- and Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TRTL-60X6

6) Torch-, Explosive-, and Tool-Resistant Safe – Class TXTL-60X6

standardscatalog.ul.com/standards/en/standard_687_15

You should definitely bolt it into whatever you can. Any additional thing you can do to slow someone down. Most burglaries are very fast because they're afraid of getting caught. People say "oh your safe can't stop a determined person with the right tools and time from getting in." No shit, but it can stop a smash-n-grab tweaker with a screwdriver and a 10 minute window, which is 99% of what anyone is likely to encounter. A safe and a good relationship with your neighbors is good protection

Bolting the safe into the floor/wall, doesn't just stop someone from putting it on a dolly and wheeling it out the door. If you can get the safe on its back, it's easier to pry open. In that 1% scenario where someone is actually working for it

TXTL-60X6 means torch and tool resistant for 60 minutes on all six sides.
With the proper rating you can buy insurance for the contents. Jewelry stores usually are insured for up to $2 million on the contents.

deansafe.com/ratings101.html

Attached: Safe Burglary ratings.png (992x838, 71K)

deansafe.com/gun-safes-faq.html

If that pic is true, then it's almost certainly going to last longer than that, since the people trying to break into it for 60 minutes literally have the blueprints and have disassembled the safe to find its weak points before actually trying to break into it. Most people trying to break into a safe won't have any details of its construction and will have a lot more trial and error before they hit a weak spot.

Certainly.
I delivered one safe to a store that weighed 6800 pounds and was 8 feet tall to replace one that thieves had attempted to get into.
It was 1" thick exterior, 4 inches of fire rated concrete and then another 1/2" of steel.
The thieves had cut through the first layer of steel and the concrete and were starting in on the final layer when the cops showed up.

I don't think a homeowner needs that much protection but most of what you see in big box stores is not rated by UL.
All depends on what the value of what you want to protect is.

Don't get the imported one which is usually the cheapest model offered.

If you cant afford a safe I would just get one of thos 100-150 dollar gun lockers. Like I live alone so I thought owning a safe would be a meme since i dont have to worry about little retards blowing their brains out, but I was getting real spooked leaving my apartment with all my Milsurps laying about. So i bought a cheap 2 lock gun locker and hid it in my closet. Shit wont hold up to a sustained attack from a tire iron but it gave me state of mind that a randon crackhead wouldnt be able to beak a window a run away with a rifle. Ive been thinking about getting an actual safe recent once i get more permanent housing but until then a locker is ok. Really depends on where and how you live senpai.

Attached: 25CFB085728F45249A2377F6A51DD86B.png (437x780, 436K)

This. 4 rifles and a shotgun and my 10 gun safe is getting pretty full.

Best option for most folks combined with PERSEC.
Don't talk about your collection around strangers or loose associates that may blab to other people.
Move your stuff in after dark.

OP here

Based anons

id honestly rather get a actual gun safe then one of those lockers. just because you can multipurpose it also. you can find a lot of cheap safes at auctions, but also you can do payment plans for safes at most safe stores.

Attached: 4545455.gif (350x204, 649K)

I put one of those truck gun racks on my wall. Only got 2 guns so it works.

I live in an apartment and want something that can't be grabbed like a gun locker, so I'm considering getting a 12 gun Centurion safe from Liberty and bolting it to the garage floor, but I don't know if the investment of $600 is worth when I only have a few firearms and no other valuables. Maybe a home alarm and a gun locker for $300?

Unless you have kids, Texas doesn't care.

>this old as fuck pasta
gtfo

Attached: 1500335732193.jpg (400x300, 12K)

What's a decent entry-level safe? I don't need anything enormous, just something I can keep a few (4 max) of my more expensive rifles and handguns in.

All I've ever seen are Costco's gun safes, which seem decent, but I really don't know anything about them.

Attached: 18528077_10211252599342866_325760579737655079_n.jpg (736x828, 47K)

I want a big heavy safe to bolt to the floor, but I worry about moving. What a fucking hassle it would be.

I live alone, so I just make sure my house is nig proof. Can't get in windows, doors are triple locked, etc...

I am also looking into false pockets in a wall, so my gats are hiding "in plain sight" so to speak. Most people who do break-in's grab the easy stuff and bounce quick.

>bolting it to the garage floor,
Never keeps gun safes in the basement or in the garage. You want them in a climate-controlled environment. You cannot rely on desiccant packs and those dehumidifiers. Your shit will rust, guaranteed.

It is somewhat climate controlled, and I heavily oil my weapons while in storage and wipe the excess off before use. Still better to go with a home camera and an AR locker?

A tip for this, take duct tape and cover all the open seams, put all your guns in socks. doesn't look pretty, but it works.

German Jow Forumsunt here, today marks the 10th anniversary of the Winnenden massacre that left 15 dead beacause an utter asshole neglected to put his Beretta into a safe like the law says but instead kept it in his nightstand, where his edgelord son took it from to visit his local high school.
In the aftermath, the law was made even tighter and now whenever the man is knocking on your door, by law you have to let them enter your home and check the proper storage of your guns.

TL;DR: lock up your damn guns when you're not carrying them on your person.

Dont you amerimutts live in houses made out of plywood and drywalls (gypsum)?
How would you bolt down a big safe to prevent someone from just carrying it away?
My 210kg safe was delivered by two man carrying it with supporting belts, they werent even bear mode bodybuilders...

Excellent info here:
youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

Note, I have no affiliation with the creators of the video or the safe company involved, I just found it very educational.

>>How would you bolt down a big safe to prevent someone from just carrying it away?
Drill holes in floor
Bolt it down with expansion anchors

>>My 210kg safe
something that light is hardly worthy of the term "safe"

Yeah I know that, my safe has two supporting anchors resting in concrete for that matter, the reason I asked was that american houses typically are made out of thin wood.

Attached: woodframe.jpg (480x360, 16K)

Yes, modern construction does tend to have very thin interior walls.
I'm not sure why that matters though, one generally bolts the safe to the floor, not the walls. Even if you had very strong interior walls it still makes more sense to bolt to the floor because the floor bolting is more secure. A crook can access or remove wall anchors much more easily than floor anchors.

>crook
Its still just in wooden floor, it doesnt offer any realy protection.

Do tons of research OP. Pretty much ignore any safe with that faggy 5 spoke handle. Also fanch looking brand names and paint jobs. Check out Sturdy Safe, Fort Knox and Graffunder.

Please accept my sympathy for living in a country where simply owning a gun gives the law the right to enter and search your home. Agree guns should be secure from wandering hands and minds, but blessed to live under the 2nd and 4th Amendments to the US Constitution. I live in a state where there is no registration, and any citizen can carry either openly or concealed without government permission.

Another ten years and you wont be allowed to own guns anymore.

>What is a concrete foundation?
Most people have these tard.

Floors tend to be concrete here.
And regardless, the geometry is a factor. It's easier to access the opposite side of a wall than it is to dig under a floor.

you guys are missing the point entirely.
this isn't about krauts vs burgers, the point is to be careful so you don't give the haters ammunition in their fight against gun owners.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons to keep a gun outside a safe. Locking up a gun pretty much makes it useless for self defense. I have no kids and my wife stays at home, so I have a handgun out pretty much 100% of the time. It's really for her use more than it is mine since she's at home more than I am and most burglaries happen during the day.

>stud

ITT retarded Germans

damn. this sounds good, and expensive

Leaving a gun out for easy access when you're home makes sense. But that assumes you never leave the house.

Any locking gun cabinet will keep out most children and stupid guests from getting to your guns.
Any locking metal gun cabinet stops the above and your neighbor's drugged out kid from grabbing your guns to sell to their dealer.
Any gun safe will protect from the above and most thieves.
Any fire rated gun safe does the above and protects your guns from fire (for a time).
Anything above this is effectively a scam unless you own something where a world class thief is going to target you.

A rule of thumb I follow when it comes to gun safes is:
>Can I open this with a crowbar?
If the answer is yes, than it is not worth it. If the answer is no, then it will stop anything that will go after my stuff.

Except most 'gun safes' can be opened with a crow bar you dolt.

I find the metal gun cabinet it great for PERSEC.. especially in apartment living.
If nobody thinks you have cool stuff or wealth, nobody will bother you.

If it can be opened with a crowbar, it ain't a gun safe, it is a glorified gun cabinet.

The whole thing is mostly moot, as most thieves are just junkies who are out of drugs. As such they are looking for something they can grab quick, turn around quick and then use the money to get high again. Just looking like it could hold them up is going to make them think twice about trying it.
The best defense (beyond waiting for them in a dark room with a gun on your lap) is really a security alarm. They ain't going to stick around long enough to grab anything (except maybe something that is in the open) once they think the police will be there soon (that soon varies heavily depending on where you live).

Dubs do not lie