Can we talk SHTF rations, Jow Forums?

Can we talk SHTF rations, Jow Forums?
The standard meme prepper go-to is MRE's or canned goods but these have their own flaws. Are they decent options with downsides, or is there something far more versatile and worthwhile for SHTF?

Attached: 26186319846_ca5d646214_b-1020x570-1.jpg (1020x570, 188K)

Hormel Canned Corn Beef Hash is all you need

/thread

make your own. I made these for a hiking trip. Same size of a regular MRE but has 24 hours of food. Only negative is that it does have somethings that require water to rehydrate.

Attached: MREattempt1.png (1001x735, 1.78M)

Peanutbutter.
You can eat it, and when you get lonely you can feed some to your dog.

Just get you some ready-to-eat M.R.E meals brometheus.

Attached: Ahegao Steve.jpg (617x715, 45K)

Based and redpilled.

If it has stuff needing hydration it's not really an MRE now is it?

Beans and white rice in mylar bags with O2 absorbers should be your go to.
Canned food are good after that because they keep for many years (technically forever) and usually have water and a lot of calories.

MREs are expensive, heavy, bulky, and don't last very long for what you pay.

Attached: 24899105_10156778071293906_1609471609_n.jpg (720x960, 114K)

Based brown spoon. Where you get them?
But what’s up with freedent?
I would use picrelated for moral

Attached: AFE4575B-8CBD-4BF8-9C55-55BBF3CB3CFA.jpg (650x300, 91K)

Anybody have a good 'rule of thumb' for MRE pricing?

Should pricing be done against calories? Weight?

Attached: 1504834029818.jpg (320x375, 16K)

The majority of items in there can be eating without water. If you are really in such a shit situation that you can't get a hold of any water you are fucked regardless.

Out of MRE"s just kept them.

I just do what I want, as much as I can responsibly afford.

Memes aside, can someone explain why this is so popular as an answer? It is legit?

meme mostly. But the shit just tastes good. It is too expensive to buy a ton.

This is your answer for long term day to day prepping stuff
This is your answer for mobile ration needs

For curiosity:

When was the last time someone here used an MRE? Any survival stories?

Rappeys!

It’s fuckig delicious

It's just a meme, really. It's fine if you're camping or something but if you tried bugging in and eating that every day you'd get really sick after a couple weeks.

cous cous and tuna with hot sauce.

I think eating just one type of ANY food would make you sick after a couple weeks

After the weaponized virus or radiation clouds kill 70 percent of the worlds population there will be plenty of rats and roaches which will be much tastier then hormel, beans and balsamic rice.

>balsamic rice

Basmati?

Canned salmon, high I'm protein and omega 3, low in mercury.

Prepping/shtf general

What are options for 20+ year shelf life stash?

H O N E Y
O
N
E
Y

You’re going at it backwards. Start by calculating your daily calorie needs. Then add 20%, divide by 3, that gives you the baseline calorie count per meal. Move some around, the evening meal doesn’t need to be as heavy as the morning meal.

Anyhow, cost per calorie (CpC) is always going to be a variable. Put together a series of rations that are nutritionally complete, then calculate the CpC. Then what you do is start looking for ways to cut costs without affecting quality or calorie count.

You don’t need a metric assload of MRE analogues. Those are only good for when you’re on the move, or in immediate response mode. A deep pantry is what you’ll live out of until the situation is resolved.

Is there anyway I could keep Lunchables?

Attached: WhatADeal.jpg (148x216, 7K)

>Payday bars are the best energy bar
Change my mind.

I like beans.
Woo woo woo
I like beans
How about you?
High in fiber low in fat
Hey I betcha didn't know that

Remember to properly supply yourself with proper variety

Attached: 1523435821968.png (850x900, 1.61M)

don't call me honey, you pervert!

Attached: 1533512753420.jpg (240x180, 14K)

Shirley you can’t be serious

> or is there something far more versatile and worthwhile for SHTF?
If you're in a hurry some sweets have great carb/protein/fat combination, high calorie count per $ and can be grabbed in large quantities at the local store if you smell some shit moving towards the fan.

Attached: Mr._Tom.jpg (1280x851, 95K)

Freeze dried food is fantastic.
nothing gets the moral up like a good tasting warm meal. 25 year shelf life too
Mice WILL eat through the packaging though so store in a tote

Attached: mountain house.png (551x358, 547K)

Not nutrient-rich, but calorie-dense and tastes great.

Can also be served cold or room temp and remain tolerable. Especially since the salt prevents freezing.
Ever tried eating cold canned beans? It’s missrable.

Forgot pic

Attached: 54EA8672-8D17-4676-8C48-43177841D623.jpg (355x355, 27K)

Meh not really a survival story, but I volunteered to help in Port A Texas after Hurricane Harvey. Had some homemade MREs, tuna, spam, etc plus a few left over MREs from my time in ROTC. Worked at a relief tent for awhile and never had to use any of the supplies donated to help the people that needed them. learned to keep some kinda bug repellant in my grab bag from then on, post hurricane mosquitos are bastards.
MREs are good, spam is great, tuna packets make great lunch if you're limited on time or being able to cook.

I eat cold BeenieWeenies all the time innawoods
They r Gr8 m8!

Mormon canneries are a good option for #10 cans of freeze dried staples. They sell some of it online but not the full line of shit you can get at the actual canneries. I like the mountain house #10 cans too but only buy them when they're on sale. The mylar bag method someone mentioned is a good route too. Beans, rice, oats, dry noodles all store well in them when done properly.

Attached: Spam.png (338x334, 132K)

No
user, how
How have you done this
You've brought Monica into this and now i'm mildly interested in prepping (again).

Attached: 20170119_211406.png (1500x843, 2.18M)

Grow your own food and properly can it. Why would anyone want to eat any of this artificial trash. City folk still amaze me.

It tastes good, but so does things like sweetened-condensed milk, Hersey's syrup (good luck getting that in a can anymore, though), and chili mac MREs.
Rule of thumb is if someone ignores the fact variety is the spice of life, it's the truth wrapped in a playful joke.

>Water water did I mention fucking water?
>Spam
> Oatmeal (plain oatmeal is cheaper and you get more)
>Whey protein powder (bad ass food that give you alot of nutrients)
> White Rice
>Dried Beans (did you know you can make mother fucking bread from dried beans?)
>Pasta
>Coffee (in real deal shtf somebody will suck your dick for some coffee)
>Tea
>Koolaid/drink mixes
>Beans/lentils
>Salt (worth 3x its weight in gold)
>Canned meat
>Canned veggies
>Canned fruit
>Canned nuts
>Flour
>Biscuit mix (life isn't worth living with no biscuits)
>Cornbread mix
>Sugar
>Honey
>Peanut butter
>Condiments that don't need refrigeration
>Cooking oil
>Miscellaneous spices and spice blends
>Dog Food (you don't want to eat your dog or your dog eat you do you?)
>Dehydrated fruit
>Dehydrated vegetables
>Dietary Supplements specific to your needs. I recommend fiber.
>Dehydrated meat (can be done but mileage may vary)
>Rayman noodles
>Whatever dehydrated bullshit meals you like.
OP it's easy to build a bad ass emergency pantry that you can eat well out of. Buy what you like to eat and what is easily preserved. You did this and you will be well fed and strong while faggots are malnourished and shitting card board from store bought and diy mre.
>Learn to cook
>Learn to make bread
>Learn to preserve meat in the old ways.
>Learn to Can.
> Learn how to preserve dry food.
>Learn how to make different meals with the same ingredients.

Are you talking about canning in glass jars or using a flywheel canner and steel cans?

>Rayman noodles

Once you have all that.
> Hard liquor.
> Tobacco.
These two for personal, medicinal; and if you aren't worried about getting murdered later, barter. A guy with alot of tobacco, paper, and a cigarette press could be a very resource rich man very quickly.

Glass jars is the only form of canning I'm familiar with doing. I'm going to have to look up what you are talking about.

he bosnia shtf guy said he keeps a couple thousand bic lighters to barter with now

Oh and another I like to do. I save my rice in 2 liter bottles due to me doubting I will eat a 5 gal bucket of rice before it goes bad. 2 liter are great because they are cheap, air tight, and the plastic holds acidic soda in it so it's better plastic than milk jugs. They also hold a reasonable amount of rice compared to human consumption. 2 liter soda bottles plus O2 absorbers.

Reuse of the 2l soda bottles sounds good, but I don’t drink soda.
wut do?

these will be worth their weight in gold after the collapse

Attached: ranch beans.jpg (3240x4320, 3.92M)

Know someone who does? Be a weirdo and ask them to save them for you. Oh and I like to throw my rice in the freezer for a spell to kill any bug eggs that may be in there.

what kind of loser doesn't get the one with jalapenos?

i'm stockpiling chili's gift cards for SHTF times.

Attached: 1548074963644.jpg (386x395, 41K)

most bug eggs can stand freezing, but most bug eggs won't hurt you either.

I'm serious, and my name's not Shirley.

Dang. I was doing it in Hope's to kill them to keep them from making my rice go bad.
> implying I would not welcome the extra protein

Fruit cocktail know it love it use it. It gives calories. It's easy to digest. It does not produce alot of waste. It hydrates.

If you have a couple hundred cans of this, you'll be able to trade for anything you want, including access to wives and daughters.

Attached: yoders-canned-bacon.jpg (900x900, 120K)

Oh my lord

I had this on cassette and I used to make my whole family listen to it on long drives to the beach. I was young. At first my family was like wtf is this shit and then it grew on them and even my parents thought Space Ghost was hilarious. Just curious, how old are you? Not many of these youngins remember Space Ghost. I'm 31 for reference.

> Balsamic vinegar with some spiced rice

No user, I think this guy is onto something

Attached: Sniff.png (873x864, 672K)

>access to wives and daughters
You joke about that but I have heard some crazy stories about what cherry flavored tobacco could get you in certain parts of Asia.....

That's a lot of tomatoes and tomato based products....

Attached: indifferent.jpg (277x468, 17K)

Do tell

Realistically, how long will packets of tuna last?

Attached: 37AFBC54-11B8-48FD-9AF9-ACDA0E02083D.jpg (191x264, 20K)

Literally overnight lodging in their home complete with meal and bath from and full access to daughter

It's delicious and has a fucklong shelf life. But, it's also like half the lethal dose of salt in each can.

Where? and when? currently? Like can I go do this right now?

This, but with a dongfeng pickup full of the stuff

Long enough that it'll outlast you after you die of mercury poisoning.

I guess it would been in farmland out around Laos or Cambodia or wherever back about 40 years ago....
Might still work in poor farming communities

We all got to die of something!

Enjoy the beetus

Attached: 88452CAB-881A-4A20-9B46-0B0446CC1C86.png (500x303, 70K)

Not that user but I'm 30 and my cousins had that on CD, used to listen to that and quote it all the time

27 year old here. The episode of space ghost where he ate carrot top gave me knightmares

>keep them from making my rice go bad
if there is no oxygen in the bottle then you should be good

anchovies and sardines are better
more omega 3s and practically zero heavy metals

Hasn’t that been proven to be pretty much overblown? Like you’d have to eat an outrageous amount for it to actually do any harm

Honestly though.
>Shtf people will be eating everything from shoe leather to each other but that user will be worried about mercury in his fish.
Autism may survive the apocalypse.

For some reason the cheese ravioli ones always give me heartburn.

Spam, peanut butter, rice, beef jerky, venison jerky, multivitamins

Tailgating on a long road-trip vacation. MREs are great when you've just finished a morning hike through a national park and don't want to have to drive to the nearest town for lunch.

>not having multiple canned chocolate food service 1 gallon cans of pudding caches all over the country in case of a sudden "pudding emergency".
>not using heavy duty mayonnaise
>spam is loev, spam is lief.

Attached: not using heavy duty mayonnaise I bet your sandwiches aren't up to code.jpg (900x900, 77K)

buy it in food service cans from sams club, bjs, or costco.

In a survival situation? Never. I go hiking with my kid sometimes and we’ll eat one.
>life so easy that an MRE is a novelty and a treat

Attached: 4C13922B-C7BC-4EF5-BA18-5A8B24BAD61F.jpg (1024x768, 198K)

Avoid canned foods OP, and try to stick to natural organic food. If you must have canned food, go for the ones with the least chemicals and least processed. This is what I usually pack.

Attached: 67206u1yy.jpg (2829x1590, 795K)

Lol you know you’re going to get potassium poisoning from bananas eventually?

Mres have components that require water too, and if you dont have water you shouldnt be eating period.

It involves a machine that costs several hundred dollars but will seal the same kind of metal cans you buy in the store.
I considered getting one just to can chocolate syrup until I realized how expensive it was.

are plastic units gonna last as long as canned units, for spam and tuna?

best fire and forget imo. I don't want to rotate throuth nasty shit just because storage.

Attached: Detailed_Comparison_NRG-5_BP-5_(Pribyl).jpg (1920x1277, 232K)

Are you retarded? You’ll die within 3 days without water. Water >>>>>>>>> food. If you don’t have water to make food then you’re dead. If you don’t have water you shouldn’t even be eating.

Yes. Retort pouches are the good standard.