Is there any truth behind the “M9 is a shitty service pistol” belief that a lot of Americans have?

Is there any truth behind the “M9 is a shitty service pistol” belief that a lot of Americans have?

Attached: 0013E924-C0F7-4DEA-BE98-BFB171228316.jpg (660x417, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lzEctvL0vrg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

Somewhat, the original slides weren't robust enough to keep up with being used as hammers and the insanely high round counts the Army put them under which is why the brigadier model was made that corrected the issue. Secondly they're old, old as fuck and Frankenstein'd to hell and back with parts and bad magazines. So basically Beretta is good shit, and faulty maintenance can make even the best tool not work well.

Like said, the pistols are Frankensteined to hell, and who knows what was done to is. Was it used as a hammer? Did Lt. Pogman ever lube the thing? Did Pvt. Snuffy ever get the sand out of the slide grooves? Now repeat that for 35+ years.

To make a pistol nearing the end of it's reliabile lifespan, Army decided to outfit the shits with P L A S T I C fucking guide rods. Everyone all got "surprised" when we had failures after failures with these things. For the most part, units that take care of them in garrison are fine.

Once the sand starts creeping in, the frame ate it up like crazy and it was always a chore to clean that massive slide. (In short; it was fine till you shoved a handfull of sand into it)

The Px4 or whatever model they came out with was geared towards Operators. Beretta asked for feedback on the normal model, but Army did a big gay and didn't want an improved M9.

Give about 5 years and you'll see govmt programs handing the things out.

It's also suffered from old vets saying "Why back in my day the 1911 would blow VC clean in half with one shot. This 9mm bullshit won't even kill a man after 16 shots."

>faulty maintenance can make even the best tool not work well

*blocks your path*

Attached: AK-47.jpg (900x332, 46K)

Have you even ever seen an ak let alone own one for a long period of time? Or are you some euro/spic tankie?

>that a lot of Americans have
Who. Even cops carried them for years. The only really retarded myth is being able to yank the slide off from the other end.

im not sure but my experience with them has been amazing.

for 7 months straight I shot 1000-1500 rounds a month and I never had any problems. It is the pistol that I had most time with and they are extremely accurate.

There's nothing wrong with the M9 as a pistol. It works well. The problem is that most people resent being forced to using shitty, decades old weapons that have been ridden hard and put up wet when they get issued out of the arms room to them. I don't like the grip profile of the Beretta 92FS and it doesn't fit my hand well. If I were to purchase a pistol for myself, I wouldn't choose it because it's not right for me. People conflate things like this and poorly maintained weapons with "it's a shit gun". It's not.

It's actually possible. I've tried it with mine and although I would never try it in the real world its easier than you think to do.
youtube.com/watch?v=lzEctvL0vrg

We've all seen his video and it's still retarded.

I think the main reason this myth came about was because of horribly abused and poorly maintained weapons in military service. Combine that with shit aftermarket magazines that were issued for a bit and yeah. My own 92fs has been unstoppable, I've even used rounds I pulled out of mud in it.

>shitty m9s
>shitty m4s
>shitty saws
>shitty (some-fucking-how) 240s
>shitty mk19s
the only goddamn thing i've used that wasn't a beat to shit frankenstein'd weapon was the .50 and that's because they deliberately don't teach retards and boots how to do anything other than load and shoot the fucking thing

As a duty pistol, how does the 92 compare to other modern full size pistols?

Bigger and heavier, more accurate.

>shitty (some-fucking-how) 240s
Can confirm.
>Blackhawk crewchief
>Afghanistan
>Test fire just outside the FOB before we would continue our flights to make sure our guns were good
>Have to fly back and swap out 240 at least once a week because of how shit they were
>Wasn't just one bum weapon in the mix but always rotating through
Fuck the M240H, I don't know if ground guys' 240Bs were better but ours were absolute shit.

No, the ones in service currently are just old and mistreated. M9 is an outstanding pistol when its in decent shape

Which when you think about it, they were shooting 80 asian kids with them, so yeah it fucking waxed them.

*80 lbs asian kids. Sorry. Phone posting

My Dad carried the 911 and the Beretta. He was in the army from 1969 to 1988. He complained the 1911's he had were WW2 vintage and the magazines were shit. When he received the M9 he said it was like being issued a Ferrari. He shot well with it and still uses one as his nightstand gun.

Short Answer - Big, Heavy, and accurate pistol when not beat to shit.

>Short Answer - Big, Heavy, and accurate pistol when not beat to shit.

Pretty much.

Reliable as fuck. We even had Hs taken off a downed 47 and they worked fine for a week in the worst possible scenario. Helps if you clean and lube it.

Attached: C3AC8D1D-209D-4947-8027-A9B155E7855B.jpg (500x393, 49K)

drop some dirt into the trigger group

No. I bought one a few months ago. I just wanted to buy the iconic pistol. I’d seen a lot of divided comments on gun forums about them. I shoot my 92FS more accurately than my other guns. It’s my favorite.

I never really got over the grip shape/size. It's like holding a brick in my hand.

I will say this as a Corpsman. You get one whose sights are on point and you're good as long as you're on a ship. But, in the fine dust of Afghanistan the weapon is shit.

It had issues when first introduced with the slide cracking. But that was really not the issue long term when it was corrected. The guns were poorly maintained through their lifespan. they were worn out. And this was the main reason it was not liked. If you actually shot a brand new M9 it was a dream to use. The worn out guns rattled and the finish was worn off.

That wasn't the issue when I was in. The guns were just worn the fuck out

Nah, it's because it's a Browning weapon.

French machine guns are hit or miss, plus like
Said, maintenance goes a long way, Chair Force.

No guns fuddlore fag detected

Wasnt the first batch of magazines the military ordered for the M9 fucked or something?

Mags are just BALLS to put in. Theyre the flat bottom ones rather than the normal type, so it sits flush like the old G.I. 1911 mags did. Cheaper, sure, but when we fight in sand, just a tiny bit fucks with the clearence.

Some follower issues, but again to maintenance issues and people keeping mags fully loaded for long periods of time.

I thought I read somewhere that the first batch of mags the military ordered for the M9, they cheaped out on and had feed issues and cracks.

Keep in the mind that M9 =/= 92FS, while the 92 has had about 3 decades worth of product improvement, the M9 TDP has not changed since its adoption. This means that even new(er) production M9s do not benefit from design improvements. I know a guy who privately bought the 3rd gen locking block and a D spring for his M9 because they would issue the same pistol and installed them hush hush. In his own words "whatever lucky fuck's gonna get my M9 is gonna think he's got the unicorn gun".

Attached: img_7911.jpg (2048x1360, 1.13M)

>Army decided to outfit the shits with P L A S T I C fucking guide rods
There is a good reason for that. Somehow Army soldiers managed to slightly bend their steel guide rods in some of their guns resulting in guns that wouldn't shoot straight and they didn't know why. Beretta, along with the Army, decided to use plastic guide rods because they will break rather than just bend making extremely obvious when it they need to be replaced.

Not even that guy but aks are incredibly resilient to poor maintenance. Sure mud will jam it because that's just what happens when you have a open action. Ignoring that, aks are really resilient to shitty conditions, remember fbi cold tests where the only 2 guns that passed where GALIL and rk.

its because theyve been beat to shit for 20+ years and not properly maintained. the army doesnt give a fuck about their handguns.

Would you say the M9A3 is better than the 92FS?

It's a great gun if you get one that works.

Mine wouldn't lock to the rear on the last round, but was otherwise solid. A brand new 92 is an absolute dream. I'm more of a CZ guy, but it's still a great piece.

I've heard the trigger pull is weird.
Can anybody confirm?

Shit yes it is. The trigger on that thing is fucking sick, almost as good as a Langdon Elite pistol (the A3 might actually be a bit more expensive). The Vertec frame is pretty damn close to feeling like a 1911, and people tend to prefer the improved upswept safety. I'm not gonna say that I see a need to get one because I've got an old 92FS that I bought used and dropped a couple hundred dollars' worth of parts on that is set up pretty much the way I want, but the A3 is pretty much the M9 perfected.

t. big Beretta fan, I swear I'm not a shill

>brigadier model was made that corrected the issue.
The slides cracked at the rear where the hammer is, they fixed it with a relief cut, nothing else. There were some issues with locking block longevity which they also fixed with some changes to the dimensions of it. The biggest problems it had when issued were the military going to a third party for magazines which were horrible.

The Brigadier is a different style of slide, doesn't really have anything to do with reliability but the slide mass helps with higher pressure ammo.

Attached: IMG_20160621_161802.jpg (1000x1336, 624K)

Is it better than a Brig Tac?

Myth stemming from service cucks only experience being from canibalized worn out guns, and fuddy five boomers

the OG 92fs is based as hell and classic, but the m9a3 is better, grip is better, trigger is better.

>be beretta
>offer m9a3's for same price as contract for m9's
>offer to upgrade and replace every m9 in inventory at no cost
>generous parts package
>army takes the SIG because it was like $3 cheaper per unit.

kek

Attached: army-boot-camp-training-day2-from-the-navy-21798945.png (500x616, 148K)

Stacks a bit the last 25% of double action, single action is awesome, reset is a little bit long but not terrible and you can go fast with it.

All in all, standard steel frame wonder 9 trigger. Nothing weird.

It kinda is. I just got a 92F and it’s...like, it feels heavy, but it’s smooth and clean enough of a break that my sight picture doesn’t shift like I expect it to. It’s nice, but odd.
>Tfw it’s in really good shape with a crisp bore and immaculate crown and just some holster wear
>Still a little off-put by Ye olde slide failures
Oh well, if it happens, it happens.

Attached: 0606CF3B-1812-4706-B763-D4D31B23834C.jpg (4032x3024, 1.96M)

When you've got millions of units, those $3 will add up.

On a sunk cost?

It's alright becomes good if you throw in a D hammer spring

Subjective
Personally I prefer the standard 92 grip over the Vertec, especially with those thin Wilson Combat or LTT grips. Likewise the Brig Tac is a G model while most A3 ship FS. Likewise, Wilson's put in nicer small parts like metal guide rods etc. which doesn't really affect performance but are in theory more durable.
On the other hand, the A3 has a noticeably lighter slide, which if you're in that 99th percentile of pistol shooters you'll notice less reciprocating mass under recoil. I think the trigger on the A3 is a smidge nicer, and I'm not a fan of u-notch sights. Once again, most of this shit is subjective.

>Lt. Pogman
>Pvt. Snuffy.
lmao that's funny

A lot of it is bullshit, a lot of it comes to senseless roundcount and abuse, which isn't very good for any weapon.

The US Armed Forces have never issued a Beretta pistol with a Brigadier slide.

I've seen AKs with ruined bores, the rifle can definitely be made useless with the right amount of abuse or neglect.

the bolt can break

>He complained the 1911's he had were WW2 vintage and the magazines were shit

That tracks. I've known a few Desert Storm-era that were in units issued tired old M1911 pistols that were beaten to shit over the years. Getting the M9 was a world of difference if only because it was just a new pistol that weren't decades-old armory guns.

/thread

I want one with a heel release and no rail.

should still be some euro surplus trade-in 92s's around online

>92
>steel frame
lmao keep dreaming spaghetti cucks