Torpedo or a missile?

Saw this on /gif/... wtf is this thing? Is this a torpedo? A missile? What purpose does it serve? Why do they launch it into the water only so it can come out of the water again?

Attached: 1526223944288.webm (1920x1080, 2.82M)

Other urls found in this thread:

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-russian-missile-that-is-slung-out-of-a-ships-torpe-1737906897
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Its a rocket you can use out of your torpedo tubes instead of having to retrofit the ship.

interesting. how do you guide this thing? same way as a missile... GPS etc?

Is this from the Russian battle cruiser?

You'd guide it in the same way you'd guide a missile lmfao, whatever that would entail for the missile variant

Rocket propelled ASW SS-N-16 Stallion

>ASW SS-N-16 Stallion
thanks!

>It cold-launches from the ship’s torpedo tube via compressed air, then it disappears under the water’s surface before blasting off in spectacular fashion on the way to its target, which can be almost 60 miles away. It can be armed with a 400mm torpedo, a unitary warhead (for attacking surface targets), or a nuclear depth charge. This makes the missile very versatile, especially for smaller surface combatants that can only accommodate a single missile system.

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-russian-missile-that-is-slung-out-of-a-ships-torpe-1737906897

It's an anti submarine torpedo that's rocket assisted.

It was intended for use by submarines which is why the surface version enters the water - saves modifications.

After firing the solid rocket it will fly a few miles and then drop a torpedo on top of something.

AFAIK this thing was designed for submarines originally, so that a sub could launch missiles from torpedo tubes without a vertical launcher, saving space and complexity.

Something like this has a longer range and can reach the target quickly, making it a good weapon for a sub to use against other subs. Just drop some torpedos in the area around where you think he's at.

Why use it on surface ships? I dunno, guess if you have them laying around and want more missiles just trade torps for these things.

For very powerful rocket motors it's actually much simpler to have them sit in water during launch rather than building a platform on a hard surface.

Awesome info user! One thing I don't understand.. why does an anti-sub weapon go into air? How is it suppose to attack subs like that?

with a nuclear depth charge (which that thing can carry), you just fly it to the general area and blow it up. Flying through the air is easier and faster than swimming through the water

>or a nuclear depth charge

Attached: xT46w5a.gif (257x199, 1024K)

makes sense! thanks!

Looks like a malfunctioning shkval

Lightweight torpedo. It launches into the air then comes back down in designated area, boosted sets he's and torpedo goes hunting.

Neat idea, Soviets had them and the U.S. was building one in the 80s until it became obvious to everyone that it's kill probability was pretty low.due to the noise it made on launch and heavyweight torpedo performance quickly ramped up in range and speed all over the world.

Why you'd put what's basically an ASROC in a surface ships torpedo tube is beyond me though as it just gives another point of failure

this. I basically just turns your tubes into a dual purpose launcher instead of having to fit VLS. It's the same thing a lot of submarines do to launch missiles since only boomers have VLS tubes, all the other subs have to launch missiles through their torpedoe tubes just like this.

Meh I've seen more impressive ASROCs with more superior capabilities.

The Chinese Yu-8 super ASROC is considered by internet experts as the best in the world and can carry suicide drones that can be controlled via 5G communications. And can also carry very fast bubbling torpedoes.

>nuclear depth charge
It's like we want to get rekt by the underwater ayys.

>Meh I've seen more impressive ASROCs with more superior capabilities

Vodopad/Stallion has been in service for almost 40 years. Try to find a comparable chink shit that old.