Help a newfag: M&P15 Sport II Occasional Keyholing

Bought used pic related from range for 300 as first AR.
Probably used heavy.
Cleaned it up nice. Adjusted sights and shoots straight if one round is shot at a time. Tight grouping.
However, when rapid firing frequent keyholing (2/5 shots)at

Attached: 20190311_210723.jpg (1314x1493, 164K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nrablog.com/articles/2017/3/how-to-pick-the-right-round-for-your-ar15-barrel/
lightfighter.net/topic/55-grain-bullets-fired-from-ar-15s-with-1-7-twist-barrels
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What ammo are you using and what's the condition of the bore?

thats normal for ars. when the barral gets hot it flexes

Ive tried both Federal 55-60gr(i think) and a few other with similar results. Its a 1:7 twist barrel.

Yeah I was thinking maybe when it gets hot its changing the way the round goes through it. But only after 40 rounds? And is this really normal?

yes. thats why heavy barrels and bull barrels exist

>1:7
yikes

ok fag. i only shoot 78 grain anway so its great. you dont actually shoot .223 do u?

Oh and bore looked okay but i didn't use a camera. Just looked down it.

Somethings fucked, I can blast away with my pencil barrel and rounds don't start keyholing that early.

Did you buy that used? You may have found the reason that was so cheap. Mine does not do that

Well thats the twist rate for this rifle stock. 300 bucks man I was thinking of just buying a cheapo upper from PSA since this is basically a beginners toy for me.
My history:
Mainly shotguns since age 9. Few pistols. .22lr and my gramps 30-30 back in the day.
This is my first AR. Just splurged because I wanted to grab what I could afford at the time because of nutty VA legislators trying to make them illegal here.(Thank God it failed to pass).

Exactly. But I woyld think if it was the barrel it would do it consistently. I noticed a gas ring was missing and replaced them. Ckeaned everything good still does it.

On S&W's info page, the M&P Sport II is chambered for 5.56x45 and has a 1 in 9 twist. You should only be shooting 5.56mm 55 grain ammo. .223 and bullet weight over 62 grains will not provide decent accuracy.

Yeah, it shot well when I tested it. And still works well if fired slowly. Like 1 roubd every 2-3 sec its fine.

Woops! You are right its 1:9. Derp. Good catch user.
I thought .223 is okay through a rifle chambered in 5.56?

Weird, maybe the barrels fucked. See if you can have a gun smith look at it or just chuck the upper and get a new complete one

I magdump and while my acuracy is obviously non-existent, no keyholes, everything looks like it was done with a hole-punch

Its 1:9 I was wrong.

>I thought .223 is okay through a rifle chambered in 5.56?
It is, and twist rate only really matters for long-range precision shooting or trying to get sub-moa (with an ar? Ha!) Groups.

.223 and 5.56 should function realtivley the same. Or rather, the differences are negligible enough that it wont cause tue issue youre facing

Yeah this is what Im thinking. Not sure its worth the gunsmith bill. Maybe Ill keep this upper assembly and have them check it later.
Whats you guys opinion on PSA cheapo uppers?

>I thought .223 is okay through a rifle chambered in 5.56?
While .223 will safely cycle in a rifle chambered for 5.56x45mm, they are not really the same ammunition. .223 has less charge and the primers are softer than milspec ammo. There is slight dimensional differences that effect performance..

Attached: 223vs556.jpg (515x406, 38K)

Gotcha. Yeah I guess it makes sense. Ive read you can't shoot 5.56 through an old gun chambered in .223 for chamber pressure reasons. Never heard that .223 could cause accuracy issues in a 5.56 tho. Good to know.

Nice pic to explain it. Snagged. Good stuff user. Thanks.

Depends, if your lgs does "free appraisals" or something, may want to compare what they quote you against a new upper

So you guys have any issues with PSA uppers?
Im not trying to go broke on this. Just wanna shoot with a buddy. Once I get deeper into it Ill build something more pricey. Maybe later move to a piston actuated or .308. Right now just bought a new house so a bit poorfag.

>Never heard that .223 could cause accuracy issues in a 5.56
Technically it can, but the differences are mostly negligible outside the previously mentioned scenarios

Good advice.

Nah, psa's are a-okay, ignore /arg/ and richfags trying to flex on people

>Whats you guys opinion on PSA cheapo uppers?

They're serviceable, but not great. Get on Del-ton's emailing list-- on 3-4 month intervals they have sales where you can pick up a 1x9 twist Car or mid-length upper with BCG and charging handle for $229. Del-Ton's uppers are test fired and headspaced by a gov't contractor, and I've have excellent results with all of their parts and uppers.

Right on. You shot one? Any comments or advice on which to go with?

Good advice, and good price too user. Ill check it out. I figure 500 for a decent AR is okay so if i go with a new upper its still not too bad.

Hey buddy, since you seem to know your shit. Whats the best grain with the 1:9? I keep getting different advice from different gun guys.

This guys got it

>Hey buddy, since you seem to know your shit. Whats the best grain with the 1:9? I keep getting different advice from different gun guys.

It's pretty easy to look up on the webs: a 1x9 twist works best with 55 grain, but I've had very close results with 62 grain. Heavier rounds work better in a 1x7 twist.

I have owned a Delton carbine for a couple years and it’s been great.

I'm going to catch shit for this but I think 1:9 is the best twist rate for most ARs. It's going to stabilize the widest range of common consumer target and match grade ammo
>Bu-bu-but muh 35 grain varmint grenades
>Bu-Bu-but muh police sniper 90 grain super match
OK, most people will shoot 55 to 75 grain and that's what 1:9 can do. The only issue you might run into at that twist rate is a lighter 50 grain bullet that's solid copper or something like that that is really long for it's grain weight compared to typical jacketed lead bullets.

Yeah wasn't sure about the webs. Ive been using 55 but the guy at the gun store was telling me different.
Thanks for confirming and thanks to everyone for helping an ignorant farm boy out.

Smith is known to send out barrels with no rifling. Send it to them.

>heavy used mp sport for $300

Are you a canuck or something?

>I have owned a Delton carbine for a couple years and it’s been great.

I think that Del-Ton is the most under rated AR mfg and supplier out there. I started building their rifles from kits about 10 years ago, and I've had flawless performance. They're not as cheap as PSA, or as Gucci as some other vendors, but Del-Ton's parts kits just snap together with no pounding (except the roll pins) and run like a raped ape.

I thought 1:7 could stabilize 55gr alright.

>I thought 1:7 could stabilize 55gr alright.
Nope.

lmao no it's not fucking normal to keyhole you fucking mouth breather. This whole thread is JUSTASGOOD poverty general.

Barrel rifling is trash, or severely fouled. Barrel crown may have been fucked up when the previous owner swapped muzzle devices, but this would affect accuracy in general and you only occasionally have this problem. The ammo you're using may be cheap trash, and the bullets may be "out of round" and wobbly themselves.

Doesn't keyhole out of my 18in, at least.

Fake news

Attached: 1543547229729.jpg (522x561, 47K)

anything less than 1:7 is for even poorer people in barrels that are made even shittier and have no accuracy benefits.
Unless it's a heavy varminting barrel of course.

same guy, I wasn't hitting good groups last time, but it was my second range day with the gun and the first when the barrel wasn't literally bent.

>Fake news
Look it up, tard. You don't have to believe anybody on this board.

the accuracy issues shouldnt be so severe. I have two chrome lined 1:7 I shoot 55gr wolf steel and it doesnt get worse than 3 moa and never keyholes

Just a temporary poorfag actually. Just bought land and built a new house. Still paying down the initial appliances.
I'll go heavy on my next purchase. I already own three guns and the wife is already complaining if its not for hunting. Lol

youre stupid

I was wrong initially its a 1:9 check back I initially posyed incorrectly

Attached: 53648552_787683771587306_2863721211848818688_n.jpg (902x960, 62K)

>youre stupid
hurr, and you suck dead dog's dicks for a nickle and give change back.

Ive considered this. Unfortunately it occurs with both cheapo and decent ammo. Obviously I haven't bought the highest priced shit.

the effects of over stabilization on accuracy is overblown. Unless youre getting a purpose made heavy contour precision made barrel and shooting for bulls eyes you wont notice the difference.
In a floated AR15 with a good barrel in a 1:7, 1.5 moa with 55gr should be attainable even with factory loads

Are you retarded

>Look it up, tard.
Majority of sources online say it's okay. Where is your source?

are you the guy who hooks a steel brush to a power drill to clean out his barrel?

Lol no I've been around guns all my life.
I bought all the approved tools and even read the manual from the manufacturer.

>the effects of over stabilization on accuracy is overblown. Unless youre getting a purpose made heavy contour precision made barrel and shooting for bulls eyes you wont notice the difference.
>In a floated AR15 with a good barrel in a 1:7, 1.5 moa with 55gr should be attainable even with factory loads
Gee, should I believe a noguns spergie twat who learned everything from videogames, or a NRA info page based on true knowledge and experience? nrablog.com/articles/2017/3/how-to-pick-the-right-round-for-your-ar15-barrel/

noguns Faggot.

>nrablog.com/articles/2017/3/how-to-pick-the-right-round-for-your-ar15-barrel/

I'm pretty sure that range chart is sourced from here.

lightfighter.net/topic/55-grain-bullets-fired-from-ar-15s-with-1-7-twist-barrels
*blocks your path*

>I'm pretty sure that range chart is sourced from here.
Pro tip: when you've been called out as an ignorant noguns fag, and you desperately try to save face, do not cry and snivel too loud, or mom might restrict the computer again.

>www.lightfighter.net
looks REAL legit. lmfao.

As if a blog post is anymore legit xD

Cry harder, noguns nigger faggot retard

Nice counter argument but I'll take actual tests vs fuddlore blog
I'll be waiting until you come back and reveal you were only pretending to be retarded

>I'll take actual tests vs fuddlore blog
be a fool, IDGAS. your problem is only that you don't know shit, and are trying to prove that you do. Go kys, I don't care.

Come back if you want to get cucked some more faggot

Attached: barrel twist comparison with PPU M193 02.jpg (780x484, 89K)

Attached: wolf 55 fmj twist comparison composite groups 02.jpg (770x465, 74K)

Attached: american gunner 55 hp measured group 02 resized.jpg (613x450, 91K)

Attached: berger 55 grain hp 10 shot group 01b.jpg (420x450, 48K)

>Ive read you can't shoot 5.56 through an old gun chambered in .223 for chamber pressure reasons
no, a 5.56 barrel has a larger diameter neck area and longer throat; this is done for tolerance reasons, so many countries made 5.56 that they left extra room in the chamber in case some of the ammo was less than perfect

>literally says "just not the best"
>get 1 moa with hornady 75 grain tap
>get 1.5 moa with m193
>so not the best
kys

it does perfectly, your gun is fucked, being shit and wesson its not surprising.

I'm not op. I've got a poverty special arm

If you doubt the quality of a PSA gun, all you really need to swap out is a gucci barrel and you're set.

>300 posts
>no one answers his question simply

dude its just shot out. could be a few other things. but most likely its shot out.
>should I get a PSA upper?
yeah. matches exactly with what you got. budget AR build that you can start all over with. good quality.
but here's the thing. you could just get a new barrel.
I would suggest a new upper. but if youre that poor just buy another barrel and save 100$ bucks.

but here's the real talk.
>you dont need to replace it anytime soon
if its just keyholing at a rate of a few shots during rapid fire and its fine at slower speeds. just deal with it for a while until you can buy a new upper or barrel.
keyholing bullets are still lethal.

disregard that advice if youre signing up for the hunger games tho.

Yeah all you'd really need to do, if anything, is put a new barrel in it. That should stop the keyholing immediately.

^ what he said

>using the wrong twist rate with the wrong ammo weight
>Help why is my rifle keyholing
why do you think, retard?

Buy a new barrel. It's an AR. You can change it out easily.

There is fouling built-up In the chamber in the rear of the flash hider, you'll have to unscrew it and use a metal tool to scrape it clean

No, that's not normal. It sounds like you're using fairly normal ammo, and even 1:7 should stabilize 55-60gr well enough, so the bore is probably totally blown out. Ignore the idiots who don't understand the difference between sub-optimal accuracy and keyholing.

different user, I would never buy a PSA upper without a nitride barrel.
you'll eventually want a free floated handguard and it's overall more convenient to get it right the first time

Post pic of rifling

2/10

Im going to consider this. Thanks

>Just splurged
>$300 AR
Easy user, leave some splurgable ars for us too

No camera for this.

Don't you need special tools for this?

No. I gave the wrong twist rate originally. Its a 1:9 twist and as other anons pointed out, 55gr 5.56x45 is the appropriate ammunition.

Like I said, I'm still buying things for my new house. I just wanted to get something because at the time Governor "Coonman" in VA was trying to make them illegal.

Yes I'm told nitride is the correct barrel treatment. Some argue better than chrome but Im not an expert

Yeah its more complicated than dumbasses on this board act like.

>buying a dogshit AR used as a range gun for its street price new
You deserve this, go rebarrel it retard.

Dipshit, take the upper off, take the BCG out, and hold your phone, or whatever camera you have up to the bore. Without seeing the bore we can't tell you shit. From what I can tell, you are shooting the right weight ammo from the right twist barrel, so if it's keyholing it's bad ammo or shit rifling. My bet is that your used gun has been magdumped with C-mags and a bumpstock until it shat the bed and got hocked to the local shop for whatever they could get.

Fuck it, just get a new DSA chrome lined barrel and that will fix your problems for as cheap as possible. Or hock it and buy a PSA if you're too stupid to turn a barrel wrench.

Not really. All you need to remove the barrel is an armorer's wrench, $15 on ebay.

This.

OP is a fucking retard even worrying about twist rates. Fucking KYS. The barrel is shot out on your poverty range loaner AR you fuckwit. Change it and fuck off back to Poorville.

Attached: 1515402827149.png (500x521, 156K)