Indoor shooting ranges

>range officer hovering over you
>can't do anything with your gun except point it downrange and put it on the bench.
>incredibly loud and uncomfortable

So do indoor ranges suck by nature? Should I only consider outdoor ranges or does the quality of the range make all the difference?

I tried going to an indoor range but the blast of even 9mm was uncomfortably loud through ear protection. It's the reverb and air pressure in the cubicle that really off-putting. The whole time I just wanted to finish my ammo and leave.

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Jep8tr7ekG0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You sound like a bitch.

>can't do anything with your gun except point it downrange and put it on the bench.
Are outdoor ranges any different?

I belong to a private range with something like 900 acres, but I have to qualify indoors for work. double up with plugs and earpro, and if you're not a faggot the ROs will learn to just leave you alone and go watch over the retards

I love my indoor range
Usually I'm the only person there and the building next door grills burgers

Attached: image.jpg (480x480, 73K)

Double up on ear protection. Learn how to properly insert foam earplugs (most people do it wrong). There is an indoor range near me that isn't bad, but I try and go in the morning when there are few or no other shooters there.

I normally go during the week when nobody's there. I know the guys who work the counter so they trust me to not be retarded. I got a decent pair of electric ear-pro I was given at work (factory job) so I mainly use that.

The big issue that you'll face with indoor ranges though is the lead in the air. Try and wash your hands with cold water and dish soap after your trip before you touch anything and make sure that you get your lead levels checked at the doctor. Some indoors barely pass inspections for that shit, so be weary.

Aside from all that, try and shoot outdoors if you can. Indoors is alright for a bit of quick practice since it'll get you used to reverb when you shoot indoors, but even that's a stretch.

we have a couple dozen pistol pits set up for ipsc or idpa, 7 rifle ranges, including one that goes out 1000 yards. in the pits, you have 75 yards or so to run around and shoot 270 degrees. just don't shoot back at the entrance or you might hit your car

>lead in the air
Fucking this

Its already hot as fuck for some reason just standing there, but you put poor lead ventilation on top of it, it really blows. Its part of the reason I don't like going to indoor ranges. Also, niggers stole the lead ventilator off the roof of one of our local indoor ranges and it had to be shut down for a while

Where I go there the employees usually just look through a window or a camera they hardly even go out to the range.

The range also has panels in the ceiling that help with echo.

You also might be a gun babby who will get used to it after a couple trips.

The indoor ranges I’ve been to offer expensive memberships that allow you to do more things like draw and fire or shoot shotgun and rifle. They have a second series of bays often in a totally separated area from the general public. I don’t know if the ROs are as strict in the membership areas because I’ve never paid.
I had a friend who worked at West Coast Armory and so we got to use the police bays totally by ourselves without any range officers. It was great.

These days I shoot at a municipal outdoor range that requires a yearly fee for the gate key. It’s an excellent range and you can pretty much do anything you want as long as you’re safe and staying behind the firing lines while shooting. It’s got ISPCA/metal target area where you can do fire and movement too.
The downsides are: it’s outside and the climate here is pretty severe. Winters below freezing for months on end and summers around 100 degrees. And you have to go set your targets up by walking out on the range and taping or stapling them up.
Minor things but the comfort and convenience of an indoor range is enjoyable for year round shooting.

it's usually hot because of the massive filters. that's why it's humid too
what I hate is the places that diamond plate the stalls

Booohoooo oh god human interaction how awful can it be?!?!?!

>bought my first gun a year ago
>haven't fired it yet because there are no innawoods spots nearby and i'm too autistic to go to a public indoor range

My indoor range has a $200 yearly range fee, which includes a free rental per month, access to the rifle range (35 yards, but no plebs), and if you don't use the rentals you can use the accumulated rentals to save money on a new purchase (nothing on consignment or open box returns).

Where they get you at this place is the ammo. Magtech .38spl is like $24 a box there.

haha is it one of those crummy places that make you use their ammo

For normies renting, yes. But so long as it isn't obvious reloads you can use pretty much anything you buy online or off the shelf.

oh ok. at first the place I have to qual at would run a magnet over my ammo because I reload, but they stopped that long ago. they know I'm not going to be punching holes in their backstop

Mfw you cant shoot a missle or military grade weapons indoors.

Attached: 28AA7962-F75B-4479-AC5C-BD1DA0BFFA01.gif (305x320, 980K)

That's a good thing. Glad they finally implemented that rule after the 4th time (to my knowledge) that someone in another lane got shot in the leg while some fudd was fucking around

They used to allow reloads until this one faggot showed up.

>Saturday Afternoon
>Range somewhat busy, so Counter staff running people through quickly
>Different stalls have different ratings, so people don't run 30-aught LoudnBoomer in the pistol/plinking lanes
>Guy shows up and says he has two .45s and gets rush processed through and given a stall.
>Get stall next to him because only shooting .357 that day
>He pulls out a 1911, standard affair, using box ammo or factory reloads, don't care.
>Just pulling back my target and I see him reach in his case for his second .45
>A mother fucking BLR in .45-70 Gov't "The Only Government you can trust!"
>He pulls out a couple of ..45-70 from his case, looks like fucking broke shit reloads
>Contemplating noping the fuck out of there until BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
>Muzzleflash like the sun decided to suck start the revolver.
>Ears ringing through ear pro, feel a pain in my arm
>Cylinder gap gases broke the dividing material and bits of plastic and powder imbeded in my forearm
>fuckit.png
>Watch him pull the hammer back again and fire
>ROs fucking waddling in like they're fucking 90's SWAT
>.45-70 kicked out, almost carried out at gun point
>Everyone forced to stop shooting, Range Maintenance guy says the Backstop is fucked
>Pistol and Plinking range closed for 3 months till it was fixed.

I wanted to figure out how hot he made those .45-70s though... I wanted to shoot it myself but I don't want to be banned at the only non shitty indoor range for miles.

Attached: 1494763306864.jpg (326x464, 36K)

yes they are shit compared to outdoor ranges for all the reasons you described

> Indoor shooting ranges
There is so much lead in the air that you get brain damage within 5 minutes of being there.

lol
wonder if he double charged it

its ventilated cunt

This range must have been built by jews. Everyone forced into a weaver stance so they can cram 6 million lanes into the limited space they have. Never seen a range so pathetic.

Attached: 1545304766794.png (629x1173, 131K)

I would hate that place I regularly shoot pistols at 50 and 100 yards, screw being limited to 35 with a rifle.

Yeah, I find myself often setting my targets to the end of the end of the 35. Space is a very limited factor for the area it's in. There's National Park lands (Everglades) about 40 minutes west of me that I can shoot at, but the range is about a 10 minute drive from my place and it's on my way to work. I'm planning on buying a primary rural residence about an hour north so I can make my own compound and shoot in peace.

First two aren't really a problem for me. The RO is pretty hands off since I'm usually there when it's slow. The reverb is pretty unpleasant though. I always double up my earpro.

>The big issue that you'll face with indoor ranges though is the lead in the air.
That's what I like about my indoor range. They have de-leading soap in all of the bathrooms. I'm a pretty new shooter so I almost always forget to wash before I start scratching my head or touching my face. Though I do usually shower first thing when I get home.

it's over-dramatized. ROs get tested maybe once a year and they're in there all day

The only decent public range in my area is an indoor range. Normally I shoot on my family's property, but I go to the indoor range when shooting with others.

The staff and facilities are good, and the bathrooms have de-leading soap. The only things I don't like are needing to double up, and being too loud for most rifle shooting. I've shot 7.62x39 and 7x57 indoors, and the latter had noticeable concussion.

I wouldn't shoot unjacketed lead bullets in an indoor range either, but I've quit buying that kind of ammo anyway.

You guys are gay. I have worked shoot-a-machine gun tourist traps for 12 years shooting tons of rifle calibers indoors. Never double earpro, don't obsessively wash my hands, get tested quarterly for hearing/lead level and do just fine. Shit guys, we shoot a Barrett .50 BMG and everyone is ok. The square range has its limits, but it is convenient and good for working on shooting fundamentals. Drawing and shooting on the move are just not things that work really well at an indoor range.

Your range is probably minting money and can afford to equip the range with functioning ventilation for the volume of fire.
What are the chances most smaller handgun only ranges can or do the same? Businesses regardless of their practice suffer the same problems and are just as susceptible to shit owners/managers who will cut corners.

The range does replace all of it's air every 90 seconds, but that is required by the health department. If lead exposure was an issue the staff would sue the place out of existence.

Backyard is best.
Cheap Winchester ammo dud.
Was alternating targets side by side at 10 yards.
Really getting too easy.
8 , 5, and 4 " plates.
youtu.be/Jep8tr7ekG0

Got a haircut Monday.
FAT SCREECH had to go.

>a government agency requires thing
>therefore thing is universal everywhere with no negligent exceptions

>1 round per 2 seconds max. no rapid fire
>$15 for 1/2 hour for pistol range. $25 for a full hour
>only brass case ammo allowed
>no range trap to be seen
such is life at an indoor range

Attached: 1547877403196.jpg (966x1024, 226K)

A nice indoor range an hour from me charges 400 a year membership. Feels bad

How nice could this range be?
Post their website.

>24/7 indoor range
>dawn to dusk outdoors
>no range officers
>hundred bucks a year
>few minutes from home
I made it bros

Attached: he2cute2.jpg (1000x1000, 91K)

oh baby

yeah indoor sucks. also it's hot and sweaty

i shot an AR in one recently and after one shot i felt like i was getting hearing damage (wearing both foam plugs and electronic muffs), forced myself to finish the mag and got out of there

right now there are no outdoor options here (S FL), its fucking awful. hopefully thats changing in the nearish future though

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-04 12-01-44.png (1703x888, 1.11M)

Believe it or not, indoor ranges with little to no RO control are worse. The one I go to almost never has someone in the range, and I've seen some shit.
>Clear glass dividers
>Look over into the barrel of the gun of the person next to me as they're waving it around as if commanded by the ghost of Cameo
Every. Fucking. Time.
>Unburnt powder all over downrange because no one ever sweeps.
>Not supposed to shoot steel core ammo, because that shit sparks if you hit the concrete.
>Shouldn't be an issue, but I've watched people miss the target by 3 feet at 7 yards. With a rifle
>Spark that shit up, senpai.
They've been there for 2 years and there's been 3 fires.
>Rules say no birdshot because ricochets and the aforementioned lack of accuracy
>"Yessir, I got it. No birdshot"
>Proceeds to unload with birdshot at 7 yards
>100 shells later
>Comes out to get someone from the desk
>"Hey my target won't come back"
>The target carrier had seen some shit. Pitted all to hell, no paint left to speak of, some ricocheted up into the actual electronics by some sick god's idea of a miracle.

>shoot at a place with a good owner and he has fair rules (calibers up to 308 allowed, rapid fire allowed if you're able to handle it) for an indoor range
>never have problems with patrons or staff, very nice people all around
>I'm about 50 minutes into my range time
>notice a staff member hovering behind me, after I finish my mag he asks "how do you like the MRO? I only have an aimpoint"
>start to drop spaghetti, initiate range conversation
>tell him "i-it's pretty good, is my hour up?"
>he laughs and says "no no, I'm just an admirer of nice guns and stuff"
>he slinks away and as I'm packing up I notice that he's the instructor for two very stupid looking thots who he likely has to babysit for a while
>feel bad and considering never stepping foot in that range again but then realize I actually like that place
It hurts bros

Attached: PepeHands.png (128x128, 24K)

My indoor range is decent all things considered.
>$25/hour, no time limit if its slow
>separate rifle/pistol lanes
>well ventilated
>no restrictions on caliber or rate of fire, just can't shoot steel cote
>friendly, knowledgable staff that don't interfere unless they see stuff going wrong on the cameras
Only downsides are that its only 25 yards and its an hour away, but i mostly just shoot handguns there anyway

>go to local indoor range to shoot pistols
>some faggot walks by and sets up two lanes away with a fucking C308
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>indoor range 10 minutes from my house
>on a military base so very few plebs allowed
>well ventilated
>cheap
>RSOs don't bother you

The only major negative is it's only 25 yards. All the indoor ranges within 4 hours are 25 yards, and the only outdoor range within 4 hours is shit and expensive

me again

1. how the fuck are you supposed to do anything with these small ass benches? and the lane is narrow as fuck. you can't sit down, you have no room to unpack or manipulate anything

2. hot brass raining down on you all the time

Attached: o.jpg (750x1000, 122K)

If there's one group of people you shouldn't be ashamed of having a touch of the tism, it's with gun people. There aren't a lot of normies. And those that are, aren't fun.

same range, another pic

Attached: SSI WPB - Range.jpg (1600x1052, 355K)

I'm confused. Where do you put your crab legs and soda? Do you guys have a separate dining area?

In my state, there are public ranges where theres benches AND racks
you jelly?

Fucking kek, I’m almost in tears at my shitty government office hellhole imagining this scene. Thanks for the story user

Maybe this is one of those cuck ranges where they only have cheap sandwiches.

>visiting home
>at range with dad
>both taking turns shooting targets at 25 yards
>going for groups, etc.
>look over
>guy has full body target about about 5 yards
>just magdumping into it over and over again
Why do people do this? This isn't an isolated incident

Attached: cant_be_real.jpg (281x350, 15K)

guns are viewed as fun weekend toys rather than critical tools to defend life and country by the vast majority of people at the range

Attached: a6o2tt2gkil21.jpg (1920x1080, 127K)

>just magdumping into it over and over again
>Why do people do this?
Why not? It's Anerica, isn't it?

Why not both?

Attached: Metro2033_2014-05-01_18-58-52-07.png (1400x1050, 2.66M)

Are you talking about centennial gun club?

25/hour is insane

America lacks a culture of marksmanship

More like city dwellers lack a culture of marksmanship.

I live in the suburbs and have shot at a rural range for about 5 years. Sometimes rich dude bros are out dumping a Daniel Defense all over a silhouette, sometimes a well-dressed man in a nice car will make ragged holes with a high-dollar precision rifle. Most of the people that just waste ammo to make noise are rednecks, but there's the occasional fudd preparing for Durr season.

So how DO you properly insert foam ear plugs?

Huh?

Everything in the area is at least 20. I make the most of it and usually stay 1.5-2 hours.

roll thin, insert into canal till stop, press outside gently, wait till plug expands.
for rubber plugs: press inward toward canal while gently rotating plug, once in- very slightly pull on the plug to make sure the fins expanded.

The ones I been to did not have a range officer that hovers over you but stands a few feet behind you. They can be quite noisy when others are around which is why you have to figure out when it usually gets busy and wear ear plugs with your headset.

Either way, indoor gun ranges are great for those who do not have easy access to outdoor ones or who do not own any guns yet but wish to try them out before making any decisions to purchase.

What?

Depends. My local range the ROs don't bother you unless you attempt to bump or hip fire indoors (Yes, they had to make that rule)
If you go when they first open you're pretty much guaranteed to be either the only person on the range or have only one other there. They assign the lanes so usually they try to spread you both apart well.
The negatives
>Go around 4-6pm any day of the week and it is crawling with niggers
>All said niggers are usually pretty good with keeping it down range
>That said all niggers bring with them ak or ar pistols. I think it's a requirement to be on the range if you're a nigger
>The dividers are just long enough to allow their muzzle to poke past and blast you with the gas.
>Lord help you if you if they have a compensator
>Also their casings manage to bounce of their wall on the right and sail over the divider onto you
Please accept my shitty drawing to illustrate

Attached: Nigger Range.png (1152x648, 18K)

This is were I go to, its a very nice range not to expensive, especially when you visit in the morning hours you get a nice discount.
10 stalls for handgun up to 25m and 4 stalls for longrifle 50/100m.
Ventilation is very strong and I never had an incident of unsafe behaviour of other shooters, since we dont allow fuckups and retards to handle guns.

That is in Germany, not in Amerimutt land.

Attached: Schiessstand002520II-2.jpg (3500x2333, 3.05M)

With the penis tip facing towards the ear

there are nicer ranges than that in every town in the USA

I feel bad for you, kraut

Just Build your own indoor range fegit
Its not that expensive.

>since we dont allow fuckups and retards to handle guns.

This just comes with the territory when your country is built on the idea that protection of your rights is a basic human right and not a privilege.

Attached: 1550554061595.gif (204x204, 3.84M)

Yeah you really gotta double up on ear pro indoor ranges are ass

not in south florida there arent

I havent said its the very best, just were i go to and it does work fine.

>be me
>go to extremely nice air conditioned indoor range with special lead decontamination equipment so that it’s safe to breathe.
>RO’s are only there to assist new shooters and ensure no one is muzzle sweeping.
>mag dumps are allowed
>range allows people to draw from a holster if they take a 5 dollar one hour class beforehand for safety purposes
>holographic targeting systems on certain lanes at no extra charge
>target runners have pre designed movements so you can train for an adversary advancing towards you.
Idk OP must just be a faggot, because my indoor range is fucking lit and only costs 10 dollars a trip.

Ur mom only costs $10 a trip. ;)

The main one I go to is unstaffed. It has a 100m range and a 300m. It is almost always deserted. You can do literally whatever the fuck you want there. It's magnificent.

I really don't want this to be me when I get my first gun but it might

That guy sounds based as fuck

>Germany
For persons over 18 years of age, a license is not required to own a single-shot percussion firearm developed before January 1, 1871, or to own and carry any muzzle-loader with a flintlock or earlier design. However, the purchase of black powder or similar in order to actually use the firearms requires a license

based and kekpilled

2 cool