What's the best rifle for civil war / SHTF

I'm thinking of something in real fuckin NATO to chuck m2 blacktip handloads with. What will Jow Forums be carrying when its boogaloo time?

Attached: 39612-DEFAULT-l.jpg (1350x700, 75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=85k5ceujuyw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Unironically an AR15. It is super common so finding replacement parts or even a replacement rifle will be easier to accomplish. It fires the single most common rifle caliber in the country, and magazines are cheap and plentiful. You need to consider what will last a while not only in terms of the individual mechanism but ammo supply and your ability to fix it.

Unironically an AKM. It's super common to have the barrel outlast the rifle receiver or just to pick up a new rifle. It's one of the most common calibers thanks to mass surplus and importation. You need to consider that basically any maintenance required is going to involve a hammer or turning it into a straight pull bolt action rifle.

This, for all of these reasons. Even a few hardcore collectors of cowboy funs I know bought AR15s specifically because of SHTF situations. Runner up would be 30-06 or .308. There is also probably stacks on stacks of nugget food laying around too.

This for all reasons. My buddy only into milsurp and obscure calibers picked one up specifically for SHTF reasons. Runner up would be literally any pistol caliber carbine or just a pistol in general for easy maintenance. Probably stacks of every pistol caliber imaginable literally everywhere in America. Even California and new york.

Indeed. Not saying you shouldn't own other guns, the more the merrier, but always take practicality into account. As far as a .308 goes I would say some kind of semi auto battle rifle, like an M1A or an FAL.

>bolt action in .30-06 or .308
>12ga shotgun
>AR-15 in 5.56/.223
>handgun in 9mm or .45 acp
>revolver in .38spc or .357mag
>lever action in .45-70 or .30-30
>maybe a pcc in 9mm or .45acp
>mfw this thread

Attached: 7bf266e042b680863820fc0aa4bc7b8d.gif (420x228, 546K)

Indeed. Not saying you shouldn't own other guns, the more the merrier, but always take practicality into account. As far as a pistol calibers go I would say some kind of semi auto PCC, like an MPX or something more concealable like a Roni.

>civil war
>not carrying a 10mm handgun to crack engine blocks and penetrate soft armor

For years I was an AK guy, I've got four of them in three different calibers (7.62x39, 5.56x45, and 5.45x39) but I keep a couple of AR-15's as well because they are the most common MSR and I have stacks of mags and replacement lower parts. Recently I got into roller locks and I love my PTR-91 but the truth is that rifle would probably be relegated to static defense in favor of either the compactness of my Yugo M70 underfolder or the simplified logistics of my AR-15 in a militia group. A Marlin 336 in fuddy-fuddy rounds out the collection as a low profile deer killer.

if you're interested in this maybe give Thomas Chittum's stuff a read; there are several links of varying degrees of sketchiness. think i read it on some faget white power site, but anyway he reckons that the need to reliably defeat body armor will be too high to warrant anything under 7.62x51

OK, but then the issue becomes choosing an "environmentally friendly" round of 7.62 that can achieve that aim. Unless you are pulling black tip 30-06 and rolling your own 7.62x51, then off the shelf M80 has worse penetrating ability compared to M855.

A 24" scoped bolt action 30-06 and a pistol if you are hiding away in the hills and Forrest.
A 20" 338 federal bolt action with ghost ring if you are hiding away but living on the edge and scavenging.
An m1a and a pistol if you are actively moving and engaging the enemy.
A 12 gauge pump if you are staying in an urban environment and buildings. Shotgun ammo swells, autoloaders jam. A pump with strong rails is the only way to go.
Ar platform rifles and ammo will be littering the ground along with body armor and all the other high speed gear you can dream of. Overweight larp queens will be dropping dead from heart related issues every day of any such event.

I'm not overweight, I just keep a week of emergency rations on me at all times

Best weapons
>ar15
>308 scout rifle
>glock
>beretta 92

Ubiquity is more important than anything.

Unironically a supressed 10/22 and a GLAWK BRAND GLAWK in lol 9mm. Unless you're planning on getting into a ton of non-defensive firefights, then i can't help you. I'll be fucking off to the hills myself

>Im thinking an unreliable, unproven meme with difficult to source parts in a large caliber that doesnt do well for follow up shots because Im such a good shot and load it with expensive meme ammunition that doesnt actually defeat modern body armor with my handloading equipment that I totally have.

5.56x45 penetrated armor better than 308

Be realistic for a moment and you will realize that the answer the real answer is any gun.
Just having a gun puts you above those who don't have one and on equal ground with anybody with one. People don't want to get shot when the hospital is not running.
And don't even think that you can hunt. Every idiot who has a gun is going to try that. 6 months into SHTF and anything that looks like it is eatable will have been shot and consumed. Hunting is unrealistic during SHTF.

If you have any questions on what a modern SHTF will look like, take a look at hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and the countless wars in the Balkans during the 90s. Society was gone, barter became the new currency and just being armed (even with no ammo) was enough of a deterrent to keep all but the military away.

>It is super common so finding a replacement rifle will be easier to accomplish.
So basically its the last rifle you'd want to carry because there are other specialized options you could have invested in and made personal.

Well, in my country I would use a AK. It is what the military uses, and most commonly used rifle there is in my country. ammunition is plentiful in 7,62x39 and magazines and replace parts can be found as well. I also already own an AK, and received training for using it.

Serb?

I love my SCAR 16S, so that. Or, any AR15. Or some bolt action.

Spoiler alert, you're not gonna get into many gun fights in shtf, so any reliable rifle will do.

Holy shit the samefagging

Finnish. And yes, I know the rifle used by the military is a RK and not AK, but it is essentially the same thing. Same mags, same calibre (7,62x39) and same operation.

OK, yeah I wasn't trying to split hairs on the Valmet vs. the AK but I figured a typical Euro with AK training and AKs in civilian circulation was probably from the Balkans. Your army knew exactly what the fuck they were doing when they decided on an improved Kalashnikov design, but unlike the Israelis or Saffers they kept the cartridge and magazines the same. Frozen Soviet corpses probably gave the Finns more ammo and arms during WWII than the Germans, kek.

In free America: An AR
In ban states: A Mini-14 or PC Carbine
In Canada: An SKS
In Europe, Africa, or Asia: An SKS or AK

Unironically the ps90 fast ammo, small form factor high ammo capacity

During the Winter war, yes. But during the Continuation war we got more from Germans iirc. Nowadays the problem is that the Russians have 5,45x39 as their service calibre. We can not just loot the enemy corpses for ammunition that easily, unless we take their rifles as well.

This. Plus 200 years later your great great grandchildren can use it to kill muties and bring the american dream back to the wasteland

Right. You don't bring apples to an apple orchard.

Tavor. Takes stanag mags, shoots a common caliber, is durable and reliable. Short enough to use in close quarters while still maintaining rifle length 5.56 velocity.
Plus when the chosen come you’ll be recognized as a goy of taste and spared for the labor camps.

That was IIRC mk318 mod 1 5.56 vs standard m80 7.62x51mm Ball. Basically, 7.62x51mm still has better performance per shot in an apples to apples comparison.

you also dont want to import an exotic car as your daily driver to a country lacking parts for it

Too much maintenance required and too many tiny pins and springs for me to consider it viable for SHTF. Are you also gonna carry around a half gallon of lube and a little bowl so you don't lose your parts when field stripping it for maintenance?

AR series rifle in 5.56
Ruger PCC 9mm
Glock 17

Done.

I’ve got two, I wouldn’t trust either to do much to an engine.

one that you're familiar with and has mucho ammo on hand for.

>punching through soft armor
>brags that his meme round does something a .22 mag out of a ruger single six can do

I really hope this is a troll..

>Too much maintenance required and too many tiny pins and springs for me to consider it viable for SHTF. Are you also gonna carry around a half gallon of lube and a little bowl so you don't lose your parts when field stripping it for maintenance?
noguns exposed

Sure you do. You enjoy the benefits of a caliber and weapon tailored to your use. When it breaks you pick up one of the local "vehicles". They are after all abundant.

>enjoy the benefits of a caliber and weapon tailored to your use
>pick up a local weapon
>completely unfamiliar with it

Most coc/k/suckers rejected your message. They hated you because you spoke the truth.

My AR dries up every 3-6 months just from being in storage and turns into a *SPROING SPROING* straight pull single shot...

>I will carry multiple long arms
what>

if you're changing the trigger, yeah there's springs. but you can get all-in-one's that just require a pin change
aside from that, there's one big spring for the buffer tube, and maybe the extractor if you count the bolt carrier and think that'll fail, but you might as well replace it or just carry additional bolt faces in that case

This is a pretty retarded thought method desu..
>be you
>bring exotic meme gun without a proven track record to a civil war
>can only use ammo you brought because it’s near impossible to scavenge off of other people and shops..but at least it’s “tailored to you”.
>meme gun has unproven track record everyone with AR’s continue to battle around you as you tuck up against the wall and field strip your beloved bullpup in 6.8 cuckmore.
>but hey at least you’re different, right h-heh.
Use a proven platform and one you can repair with easily scavenged parts. Also don’t be some retard and use ammo that’s hard to come by. Just because you want people to pay attention to you and you want to play Mr. Contrarian doesn’t mean you should literally throw it all on the like just to be different. I’m sorry daddy didn’t pay enough attention to you as a child.

You're retarded if your answer is anything but the AR-15.

This, but contrarians will have there way with this thread and bitterly argue in favor of carrying an unproven rifle and meme rounds.

Why are people arguing in favor of weapons based on their ubiquity? Does the popularity of the AR15 not mean that there would be MORE competition for 5.56 ammo?

>Only one gun
I'd be packing my shit and going innawoods with several guns with different calibers for different purposes, but if you'd like a single gun..
Living in America, I'd go AR-15 mostly because of how often it's used and how .223/5.56 is undoubtedly more common. This isn't to say that's the only viable option though. Yes, there will be other ammo and parts around, but the AR in sincerely a very reliable platform and is often underrated. It's just like how cretins say the AK isn't accurate when they haven't ever zeroed or cleaned their rifle (which all guns require, commie guns are no exception). Yes, you can have issues with small parts in an AR, and yes, it can malfunction but that can be the case with many many many other kinds of guns as well and requires that you practice working with and on your guns in adverse conditions. Yes, go out in the woods for the weekend in the pouring rain and full kit, play the stalker challenge, larp, camp, hunt, whatever helps you become aware of how you handle issues with your gun or in general in adverse conditions if they arise.
No one gun will do the job, and no one gun will work best for you than the one you're best with, but you'd best git gud with an AR-15 if you're asking for a single gun.

Keep in mind that a gun(s) is only a small part of what you need in SHTF

Attached: 1540428214786.jpg (682x682, 64K)

How can you be this retarded?

Because it’s been the primary military cartridge for 50 years, and has had a huge civilian following for the last 20, the number of 5.56 rounds in the USA is probably in the hundreds of billions, and its the most cost effective rifle cartridge for stockpiling. You can easily find it for 18cpr for steel case and 26 cpr for brass.

AR for carbine and Glock 17 for sidearm.
Carry a .22 swap out BCG for the AR if you need something for rabbit hunting.
Realistically if you’re traveling on foot with full ruck and supplies you won’t be carrying multiple long guns.

This, SKS is fucking everywhere in Canada.. thank you Canadian Tire for those Soviet rifles & Chinese ammo.

Hes not entirely wrong. Every b& scare makes the “common” shit dry up while the less popular ones remain the same in availablility

True, but that doesn't mean you'll just be in the woods traveling around on foot with a leanto for shelter. What I'm saying in terms of an ideal strategy would be getting away from urban areas by means of vehicle, remaining stationary, and sustaining oneself for at least three months or so.
For me I'd be loading up into a car or truck everything I need, and heading out to the family out in the middle of nowheresville USA, supporting each other and living off the land if need be

>unproven rifle
Ignores rounds and rifles that have been used around the world since the late 1800s with proven track records because he really likes his plastic rifle made by Mattel that fires a round with recoil a woman sized man can handle.

That depends a lot on the type of SHTF.

Always baffles me that people think a collapse of society would involve ranging alone in the mountains of Afghanistan needing to shoot armored targets 500 yards away. Far more likely you'll be in suburbia or a city, your engagement range will be

>fails to realize there are several rifles and calibers that are extremely popular and more reliable than an AR.
It's ok little one. Getting taken out by gramps and his 06 won't be embarrassing at all. You probably won't even notice him. As your sumu like profile wiggles and juggles down the street huffing and puffing.

You will want to have your bug out location relatively close. In full SHTF there will be an immediate panic and mass flight from major urban areas. The main routes of transport will be gridlocked and probably totally lawless murder zones very quickly.
The best option is to bug out before masses. If that’s not practical you’ll need to shelter in place for a while and let the initial panic play out before moving.
But by then the roads will be full of disabled vehicles. Possibly impassible in some places. Also expect hostile checkpoints or roadblocks. A well loaded vehicle is a target, and very easy to kill the driver with no warning.
To actually move overland in a truck in SHTF will require several vehicles and at least two people in each, and a scout on a dirt bike, and radio communications between all vehicles.
Really think about the situation of driving a truck or SUV 100 miles when there is now no law and armed bandits everywhere. It’s terrifying.

And if you do make it to rural area, but don’t have a pre arranged bug out location/property and nobody knows you, you’re just a refugee. You better bring something to the table or you’ll be at best told at gun point to keep moving, by local defense forces or provisional government.

“Contact” by Max Velocity is a great book on this subject highly recommend it to everyone here.

Well assuming that everyone is just burning through ammo when SHTF, yeah he's right. But there aren't going to be constant gunfights.
If SHTF is a civil war, someone's going to be making more of it and it'll be difficult to find mememoore after you burn through the 1,500 rounds in the area

>*wears IV plates*
nothing personnel, gramps

>The best option is to bug out before masses.
That's the idea, and there's more than one way to get there. Isn't far either.

>Your plate cover between your nipples to your Adam's apple son?

of course
are you telling me you wouldn't walk around head to toe in level 4 plates like a suit of armor

I wouldn't bother with armor at all. If they can see you they can hit you. Put enough rounds on target and what you are wearing don't mean shit. Just a field cap and some jungle boots for me.

>he doesn't have a battlewagon
why do i even come on Jow Forums

They may be able to see me but marksmanship is subjective. I'll retain my plates when possible. Better chance of saving my life than nothing at all.

Samefag here.
You’ve got a 4x4 with level IV armor for the passenger compartment, engine/radiator and run flat tires?

Post pics.

I have a spare Jeep body/chassis and I’ve thought about armoring it but it’s gonna take a huge amount of weight to effectively protect against rifle threats.

Good luck with that. Gunners tend to feed the dirt and work up.

Attached: ParisMatchPhoto19670810.jpg (636x482, 83K)

Attached: true.gif (704x528, 3.27M)

When the fuck did we go from SHTF to gunners
Powerful
I respect that

I actually think the Shapagin in 5.56 would be a good one for unequipped forces (maybe militia groups). The only problem would probably have to be preventing excessive vibrations when firing it. But they could also make it semi auto only, like how the Rhodesians made their 9mm carbines.

If we're talking about something more utilitarian, either an M4 or the Low Maintenance Rifle the Army tried to experiment with way back ago.

Attached: EF961A02FC32A13664ABD96C48EADB9EC66AC948_size69_w887_h564.jpg (887x564, 69K)

>op, civil war/shtf

Possibly, but maybe more opportunity to fabricate the ammo too

Remington 700 in 308 win or a pump shotgun

I'll be carrying my SKS and a smol 12ga pump. Or, I'll be carrying my 12ga auto, and a handgun. I have myopia so long range shooty with irons isnt gonna happen, because I cant tell what the fuck I'm even looking at pas 100m anyways and focusing past 40m makes my eyes water. Having big glass for big irons doesnt make sense for me either, because my entire geographic region is mountainous dense forest.

>not ruining 45 super with cut down 7.62 brass

Attached: 1451868607773.gif (597x324, 2.62M)

What a fucking retard. Using your logic the only reasonable choice is a flintlock.
Anyone who has reloading equipment is lightyears ahead if a numpty like you. They could be shooting any fucking wildcat they want out of any rifle they choose and not run out long after week two when you are giving head to gangbangers for loose 223.

ok retard

>A 20" 338 federal bolt action with ghost ring if you are hiding away but living on the edge and scavenging.
yeah good luck scavenging that 338 meme ammo you dumb nigger

>Every idiot who has a gun is going to try that. 6 months into SHTF and anything that looks like it is eatable will have been shot and consumed.
not everything...

>What will Jow Forums be carrying when its boogaloo time?

Whatever your field commander handles to you.
Civil wars arent fought by individuals.
Civil wars are fought by highly organized and structured gangs of evil and well-armed men. And independent operator in a civil war is just a practice target.

You mean 308 cases and 338 bullets? Not exactly a scavenger hunt in the US jackass.

It's not like you could make brass out of every single cartridge based on the 308 or anything. Or for that matter the entire 06 family or anything.

They are called mercenaries. Historically they come with their own gear.

Samefag,
Also dickhead, never heard of the scout rifle concept? Put down the ring ding and look it up.

Attached: 16C97B17-3FB0-47D6-A044-E25D1F521CE4.jpg (578x787, 71K)

Don't shoot your gun while it's full of dried-on packing grease?

Look at recent and current civil wars. Iraq, Syria, Ukraine. Do they fight with best assortment of weapons? 'F course no. Same caliber everyone. Otherwise it's a logistic nitemare for a commander to stock on every ammo variety his troops are carrying.
A group leader would rather kill the noob insisting he carries his AR while the group has all AKs than accepts him, no matter how good a marksman he is claiming he is.

That real?
The right side looks completely real but the left side doesn't at all.

I'll give you that one. Straight walled casings (45 colt, 38's) are easy, but I'm sure 5.56 (bottle necked) brass would be more difficult. But, somehow in the back of my mind, I feel like some life hacker wannabee is going to make a big trade scheme, learning how to do this with a vice, hobo furnace made out of bricks and a bike pump, and a barrel stub.

I mean, it's difficult. But not 100 percent impossible. Brass casings do predate electricity, but I'm not sure what the secret to it is just yet

Not him, but I believe you on that one. I would hope though, that governments had some specialized group (small handful of volunteers) who would work close to arms production and provide feedback on specific experimental weapons. Like how some Special Forces guys bought ARs with their own money, before the military adopted it.

I'll agree, though. All foot soldiers have to have the same weapons and caliber, until production of the next approved weapon is 100 percent up to speed

m.youtube.com/watch?v=85k5ceujuyw
(somewhat related)

I'm this guy (). From a civilian standpoint, it would also make sense, in case there was ever a panic buy as a result. Usually it will be all the practical and conventional calibers that are cleared out first. So in the position of not having the ability to get ammo like that, the next best thing is to ghetto rig your own. I remember in '13 that the only ammo that was untouched by the panic buy was shotgun shells (mostly low brass, trap shooting stuff). 12 gauge would probably be the easiest to fabricate, but straight walled, rimmed 45 casings or 410 shells are dead second (but more practical). The problem would be finding a weapon that can actually shoot it, besides single shots...

Then you just stick with it until you get something better. Just like in that movie Michael Collins.

... this is a thing?
45 7.62 hybrid sounds pretty cool

.308 casings can fit .451 bullets and withstand higher pressures, so yeah.
.45 Super or .450 SMC match or exceed 10mm.

Attached: 10mmfire.jpg (1599x900, 241K)

Attached: 1527555830452.jpg (320x313, 45K)

in ban states it's still an AR, you just take the pseudo grips off and drill out the magazine blockers. (if you ever had them on in the first place :^))