So what are the possible advantages of the H&K style charging handle...

So what are the possible advantages of the H&K style charging handle? Why would anyone build it into their design instead of a normal AR handle and forward assist?

Attached: OB1-0217-5.jpg (450x338, 22K)

the forward assist litteraly
does
not do anything. like its a useless button. i rented an ar at a range in vegas and like wtf it didnt do diddly squat. i also rented an auto m16 and the forward assist didnt do anything either!

if it didn't do anything, why is it on 95% of all modern AR designs
by virtue of being on the design, the designer must have known that it was useful and necessary for the AR to be optimal

Why does everything need to be exactly like the AR? The charging handle and forward assist on ARs are shit anyway.

It doesn't, but any changes need to be justifiably better to be suitable as a replacement feature. There's a reason the AR is the market-dominant rifle platform and the only real choice for serious work

Wrong way to look at it. Its on most designs because that's what the military uses. The military asked for it because they're retarded. The original design didn't have one and Stoner didn't think it needed one.

Based retards
You use the FA to force the bolt into battery, which is a fucking terrible thing to do if there is shit inside the gun impeding function because, spoiler alert, jamming whatever it is into the fucking chamber is one of the worst god damn things you could do.
The FA is a worthless vestigial feature on the AR much like the human appendix.

The AR didn't get popular because of the charging handle you god damn turkey

I've never met anybody who thought the AR charging handle/FA design was somehow superior (or inferior) to other designs on hundreds of other battle and assault rifle systems.

ar15 charging handles are a pain in the ass to charge prone. Also are a constant source of gas in the face when using a suppressor.
My only ar15 has a side-charger from matrix. No gas in my face when shooting 300 blk.
pic somewhat related

Attached: witt.jpg (3509x1229, 434K)

People make up more imaginary scenarios about the FA being horribly, horribly destructive than Fortnite zoomers make up dances.

The SCAR fixed this problem. Best rifle out rn.

The original AR designs did not have FA. It was added due to all the jams it saw in it's first year(s?) of service. It's purpose is to literally ram a round into battery if it does not go properly into battery on it's own. With modern feed ramps and ammo it is all but useless except for the tryhards who like to "silently put one in the chamber" instead of already having a round in battery with your fucking safety on.

More suited for use with a folding stock maybe? Depending on wether or not the bolt handle is reciprocating, you get a built-in forward assist. Don't have to take to raise cheek off of stock and lose sight picture to cycle the gun. No fear of lube being spat in your face if running a suppressor. You can do the HK slap and feel like an operator.

Drawback of the HK style: can interfere with optics/handguard mounted stuff, maybe harder to reach depending on length of weapon

Every style has pros and cons, the AR system isn't perfect but a lot of good stuff can be said for it as well

Meant for

>advantages
SLAPP
>disadvantages
None

Attached: 1551625587089.jpg (480x452, 11K)

Holy shit the charging handle on the AR is literally it's most significant flaw god damn please neck yourself you stupid fucking noguns

whats the HK slap

But what if you need to open the bolt to release water, then forward assist? Or if the bolt didn't slam forward far enough using the spring, you can forward assist

Unironically, the GHK G5 has a cool aesthetic that I'd totally buy if it were a real gun.

Attached: GHK-GBB-G5-BK-1.jpg (640x340, 24K)

Its overexposure of a critical part, but is it really the most significant flaw
I would like to know why

That can help worsen the malfunction

AR charging handle sucks

>"silently put one in the chamber"
I always hear this meme but how the fuck is that even supposed to work, cant even visualize it. Are you supposed to ride the bolt forward by holding the charging handle when you release the catch, then use the FA to push it the last few mm to make sure its shut?

Yes.

Holding the bolt open on an AR is a pain in the ass and the charging handle isn’t very ergonomic

Like it’s been said earlier in the thread, the FA is pointless and was added because Army BS

too bad it's fucking polymer instead of milled aluminum

Range babby detected.

People that actually train for gunfights hate the AR charging handle placement. You have to come off target and lift your head to charge it. With the HK placement it's right above where your support hand already is.

>Heavier
>Reciprocating charging handle
>Walks like a motherfucker
>Fragile plastic pieces
>Orders of magnitude more expensive
SCAR is a shitty meme.

>actually implying that the AR is flawed

wow Jow Forums really has gone downhill

Clearly we need to bring back the inna-carry handle charge but modify it to give some side-charging capabilities.

Attached: 1502739804184.jpg (900x735, 62K)

with bolt hold open it isnt so much of an issue though. unless your gun jams a lot

So long as it's functioning correctly you won't even need to use it except once.

>noguns
You wish. The only people who defend the AR charging handle position are ARfats who have 15 of the damned things in their safes.

so exactly what the G36 does?

Maybe if you wanted to bring back Z-M Weapons, if not than absolutely no. H&K can frig off. A2 carry handle or bust.

Attached: 215646541.png (500x560, 420K)

Appendix holds a culture of bacteria to repopulate the gut after illness.

THANK YOU, based user, I always hear this shit and it irks the hell out of me. Just because an organ can be removed in the 21st century with pharmaceuticals and medical equipment doesn't mean the organ isn't used by your body.

I should be more surprised to see this kind of smoothbrain behavior out of you guys, but then I remember this is an AR thread.

when firing a G3 or G3 clone iron becomes big iron. to keep shooting you gotta slap it away

Let's be fair user, the studies that confirmed the uses of the appendix are all fairly recent.
We're talking 2007-2013 shit, most people who aren't into biology or medicine aren't gonna know about it.
Especially since we've all been taught about the useless appendix being a vestigial organ in bio classes in high school.
Hell it's probably still being taught that way in most schools.

wat

So what you're saying is, in some niche fashion it can be relevant, but most people probably won't ever need to use it.
It's still a completely accurate analogy.

>in extended firefight
>burn off the clp in your shitty M4 that PVT dickhands never PM'd
>shit has trouble feeding from garbage magazine Thats older than you
>hit forward assist to pop round free of feedlips

Nah mate. Its not worth too much on a civi rifle unless its a cheapo, or been run hard and put up wet.
More than just a nice thing to have if your rifle is a garbage uncle sam special

Ar changing handle is great if you dont have to use it. Its unintrusive and doesnt move. It wont snag on things or jab you like an ak might.

> So what are the possible advantages of the H&K style charging handle?
To punish south paws for using the devil's hand despite God's commandment to do otherwise

Attached: yfw-you-just-told-your-staff-to-setup-the-nato-pullout.jpg (800x450, 119K)

>stealth position
>need to chamber a round stealthily
>rack the gun slowly and the bolt wont go forward all the way
>use FA
FA does work for that purpose. But jamming it into battery due to shit being in the gun is stupid.

I never have to. I can aim down the sights while charging.

Nigger

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 1.76M)

>most people probably won't ever use antibiotics
Pro-tip: the stuff that kills germs doesn't discriminate. It kills your intestinal flora just as thoroughly.

Do you live with your grandma or do you just like furniture upholstered in burlap sacks?

Coming from 11B, idea as taught to me is you're checking your retard PV2's gat in your last hidden position before the big shooty starts. Pull the charging handle partway back and feel that there's a round in the chamber. Let it forward gently then tap the FA a couple times to make sure it chambers correctly. Hand it back to him hand give him encouraging headpats for not fucking that up, and send him on his way.
Alternatively, if you don't feel a round, pull charging handle all the way back and let forward slowly, tap forward assist to fully chamber. Glare at PV2 to let him know if you both survive upcoming shooty bits, you will remove his soul through his 3rd point of contact.

Welp, looks like I got memed out of my appendix last year
To be fair, it had already ruptured and was allegedly trying to kill me

slap

When pulling back on the charging handle, it can be locked to the rear in an upwards notch, after the gun is loaded the charging handle can be slapped down to empower the user with the spirits of all operators who HK slapped their rifles before them. As the bolt rides home you can see in the corner of your eyes an SAS detachment giving you a thumbs up, Navy Seals emerging from the ground to give an approving nod, african mercenaries emerging from a sandstorm and clearing the way for you, old West-German infantrymen lining up to salute you, then a warm hand is put on your shoulder and you hear Heckler and Koch whisper: "Now eet ees your turn"

Based noguns telling us about guns he doesn't even have.
It's very useful for press checking and making sure the BCG is in the full forward position, beings the charging handle is not connected to the BCG in any way and can only pull the BCG backwards. So in other words, It's so that the recoil spring is not the one and only thing that can push the BCG forward.

Profound

Beautiful.

How does it feel to smudge everything you write?

Not him, but every time I have to write on the whiteboard at work, I end up erasing my writing.

Feels bad man.

Attached: BF7AC11E-66CE-4477-A788-2B23D7265C94.jpg (882x944, 67K)

W-w-what’s a third point of contact

IIRC, it was meant for stealthfully pushing the bolt into battery so the VC wouldn't hear a bunch of "snaps". Let the bolt down carefully, but not completely chamber the round because somebody might ND into one or more feet. Land into the operating area on a loud-ass huey nobody could've possibly heard coming, get into position, then push the bolt closed nice and quiet like. You can also just leave the dust cover open and use your thumb, but why not have an official button?

This makes more sense than the BS I posted. Still, easier to just use your thumb.

>scar
>polymer
not for any of the important parts you sperg

>hear varmints last night
>grab and charge ar
>bolt catches on round
>tap assist
>round freed and goes into battery
okay.

How in the fuck can the people responding to OP suck more cocks than him?

I came here because I wanted to bicker about charging handles, not play with dongs like you faggots.

Don’t bother responding to me I'm fucking off out of this bullshit.

For fucks sake.

Attached: 1549303481253.gif (300x225, 1.75M)

>falling prey to the appendix jew
I’m sorry user

When conducting a parachute landing fall, the points of contact in order are: 1) balls of the feet 2)calf 3)thigh) 4) buttocks 5)pull-up muscle/outer edge of the back.

Meant the 4th point of contact but was too drunk to care to correct my mistake. The implication being, he's gonna get fucked til he either never forgets his mistake or he's gonna be the one you have unmask in a chemical warfare environment to test air quality.

Though if you can manage to suck a man's soul out through his calf, you probably deserve a merit award.

The original M16 did not have a forward assist. Forward assist was claimed to be necessary by US Army Generals on behalf of Remington in an attempt to get Stoner's design out of competition with the M2 Carbine. The M16 outperformed the M2 in every way, until Remington changed the powder formula of their cartridges to completely fuck the M16. There was enough good ammunition to carry the M16 through, and the M16 was still brought into service. But the poor quality ammunition resulted in countless US soldier deaths due to malfunctioning rifles. The history of the M16 is a sad but informative case on why corporations should not be allowed to lobby US Govt departments, unfortunately it has not been heeded. What will be the next M16 in US history? The F35?

H&K handle let's you keep rifle in aim while you reload. It also usually lets you lock the bolt open to clear jams and it lets you tilt the rifle to check the chamber before you slap the handle real satisfying to close it. Only bad point is it can get stuck in thick jungle and a vine will cock your rifle making you feel violated, giving away your position to patrolling sgt who will violate you even more than the vine violated your rifle.

Attached: Dismounts.jpg (487x470, 56K)

Spoiler alert, you can use your thumb to push a HK style bolt into battery just as well.

It's not terrible to force the bolt into battery if sand or other muck is preventing the spring for doing so adequately. What also happens is lube thickening in really cold climates. If you run your gun too wet in sandy climates, it makes the issue even worse.

I've seen soldiers claim they used them in the field only to be dismissed by the faggots at forgotten weapons because "their guns must have been barely running and poorly to begin with. In a dust test Ian even had to rack an AR twice to get it into battery, after which he makes sure to point out that he didn't have to use the FA. Well, the gun was also completely dry and what would he have done if racking it again did not work? USED THE FA!

You anti-FA faggots need to really answer one question. Knowing that the FA HAS been used in the field by soldiers and knowing that it DOES serve a purpose in the rare even that you need it, what is gained that is more important than this consideration? A couple of ounces of weight at most? If you knew that shit was hitting fan next week for certain and you would have to carry an AR and you don't exactly know what conditions you might face, would you choose a 2oz lighter gun without this potential remedial tool?

This is both incredibly stupid and a fantastic insight into NPC thinking. Identical to...
>if glocks don't have safeties, then no handgun needs a safety

>the only real choice for serious work

I don't know what's funnier, your post or the fact that you're serious.

Overall, it's like any other tool. You use it IF the situation calls for it.
You got a dude who is dumb as rocks and need to be sure he's got a round ready to go? Sure.
You're checking your own weapon and NEED to be quiet? Go for it.
9.9999999999999 times out of 10 you probably won't need the forward assist.
This is more a matter of how you adapt to what is available rather than trying to make a feature work because it is there.
Just because a thing exists for a dumb reason doesn't mean you can't take advantage of it FOR a good reason if needed.
It does us no good to judge the pro's and cons behind original intent and give up on what that particular thing COULD be used for if you apply a bit of thinking.
Overall, yeah it's a fucking retarded idea most of the time. But, why not turn it to your advantage and find things it CAN be used for? Understand your weapon and the advantages it can give you. After all, the best weapon you've got is the one you have.

>not already having a round chambered already

Attached: HURR.png (445x431, 10K)

The day I found out HK-pattern carbines in 5.56 exist was the happiest day of my life. The amount of ARbabby salt surrounding any better-looking and more sophisticated 5.56 carbine is truly a delight.

Garand Thumb is active military and para rescue. In one of his vids, he said the FA has uses and he's used it in the field before.

Just not for, ya' know, enhancing jams.
>inb4 e-celeb

>Delayed blowback
>More sophisticated than DI
Its kind of cute that you think any ARfag gives a single shit about your C93 in any regard.

>HK-pattern carbine in 5.56

Yeah, you mean the pattern every first world country has ditched? You're the bottom rung of rifles. No military worth their salt is buying new production roller locks anymore faggot. You're like the Linux fag of the gun world.

AR and AK owners enjoy taking a collective shit on you, then snowflake fags like bullpup owners finish it off by pissing all over you.

iirc Garand daddy hasn't saw any combat.

>stealth position

stopped reading right there.

Attached: 1550704227526.jpg (470x470, 70K)

i'd say the worst flaw is the buffer tube that prevents the platform from ever becoming compact
or the gas system, which hasn't been copied because it's a mistake

found the lads who haven't used an AR much

DI is shitty and inelegant orc-level technology. Delayed blowback is elegant craftsmanship akin to the finest elven curveblades.

The idea that military spending has anything to do with quality is laughable. Thanks for your tears of rage, enjoy your completely generic poverty pony and its fourteen functionally identical brothers with slightly different handguards.

sweden almost made a G3 but in the fantastic chambering of 6.5x55sex

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, saddest are these, "what might have been".

it honestly makes me sad every time i think about it.
> best rifle
> best cartridge
> no, wait: let's follow a treaty we didn't even sign

is seeing combat even a useful qualification for anything

you can get the same knowledge and skills from training

It can snap off and disable the weapon, prompting the user to discard it and pick up something that isn’t a total piece of shit.

Genius really.

>reddit spacing
>ARfat asshurt that his $400 rifle isn't perfect

This thread delivered.

Always comes back to the big scary AR-owning boogeyman, huh? Wouldn't be as bad if you guys didn't always sound so bitter about it.

Why would you ever use the charging handle on any firearm aside from the initial time when you arrive to the range and take it out of the box?
>Charge, lock bolt, set down rifle.
>Load mags, insert, drop bolt.
>Shoot till empty, bolt locks back.
>Insert new mag, release bolt.

Funniest thing is all the bitch bois complaining about CZ pistols being hard to rack. Not only is it only hard for a bitch, but you don't even have to use it aside from the moment you take it out of the box. BOLT/SLIDE FUCKING RELEASE. USE IT. On all weapons. And fuck guns that don't have it. Now if you have a jam-o-matic of a gun, that's another story.....get rid of that gun.

Disgusting platifag rifle with an ugg boot for a stock. Only plastic faggots buy it, and anal foot them selves with the plastic stock. Also, rifles shatters even 2000$ variable power scopes within 500 rounds with its recoil "mitigating" system. Yeah, mitigates the recoil right into your 2000$ glass, because you were told that 500$ glass will break, but now the 2000$ glass got smashed out of alignment anyway. Meanwhile, AR's work with .22LR scopes.

This.

Attached: 1538716909747.png (1920x1080, 2.91M)

>reddit spacing
>AR strawman

Quality post. Have a (you)

Projecting awfully hard there, but AKbros don't throw an autistic ragefit over any deviation from their preferred weapons platform. ARfats are defined by it. It's the same as how, whenever you see a thread bitching about 1911s or revolvers (and pretending other semi-automatic polymer pistols don't exist) it's always a glockfag behind it. You're not subtle people.

It's because of the hero-worship of the US military in American culture. Autists know that the US military is The Best, so therefore, the equipment they have (or the closest equivalent) must also be The Best, instead of purchased for cost reasons or lobbying or any number of other factors. Then, because it's The Best, it can't have flaws, these people have formed an identity around those weapons and the idea that because they have The Best weapons, they are The Best prepared for any situation. When you point out a flaw in the AR-15 or say you don't like glocks, to them it's a personal insult. You're not disparaging the gun, you're disparaging them. They're Jow Forums's equivalent of /tg/'s diehard GURPSfags, only much more common.

>Projecting awfully hard there
'fraid not.
>AKbros don't throw an autistic ragefit over any deviation from their preferred weapons platform.
Um idk wtf kind of reality you're living in, but its not this one. AK owners are the biggest purists around, putting a rail on an AK didn't become socially acceptable among them until Russian SOF started doing it and therefore "made it okay".
>ARfats are defined by it.
Hardly, AR owners are ricers by nature. Kind of the whole appeal of the gun.
>ARfats
>it's always a glockfag behind it
See, this is the bitterness and persecution complex I'm talking about. It cant just be someone disagreeing with you, it has to be some big omnipresent bad guy conspiracy so you can just compartmentalize and write off. Schizo behaviour, not healthy.
>You're not subtle people.
I dont even own an AR.

You’re playing chess with a pigeon. You should ask yourself if it’s worth it.

Always assume that shit is going to break down at the worst possible time.

>Using the charging handle instead of bolt release