Space Guns

In this thread we argue about the best space guns. Starting with the best

Attached: Front heavy.jpg (1500x1125, 494K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=so10dKbhorI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

HK G-11

/thread

Attached: Spacepup.jpg (750x499, 542K)

Styer IWS and AMR

Attached: 7BC577B2-3132-4099-AF99-25688ABA8111.jpg (424x550, 26K)

lol your left handed and you shoot a P90 with a fucking eotec? Just end it already man lol.

And of course nobody posts the actual space gun, which was designed to shoot fucking rockets at cosmonauts.

Attached: GyroJet_004_1.jpg (448x330, 49K)

Attached: crb-alpine.png (512x153, 49K)

I recon space shuttle door gunners will will be using the M2HB for a while to come.

Attached: 7B36C08A-B02D-44FA-9127-AD5E32B909F5.jpg (1080x704, 115K)

Low Rider PS90 checking in.

Attached: IMG_2578.jpg (1333x1000, 253K)

Genuinely curious, how would Jow Forums tackle overheating of a weapon in a vacuum?
Also, it would have to be 100% caseless or combustible casing so we don't have to worry about metal casings impacting objects at high velocity

Use the barrel as a heatsink.
Switch out barrels as needed.

>100% caseless or combustible casing so we don't have to worry about metal casings impacting objects at high velocity

Or just shoot the casing at them as well.

Suddenly the RFB, FS2000 and MDR make sense

pls explain what you did with that rail

You still need to cool them down somehow
I was thinking a pressurized cold gas supply that gets vented around the barrel to vacuum

>overheating of a weapon in a vacuum?
>it would have to be 100% caseless
Caseless weapons have overheating problems on earth.
Cases act as a heatsink, they just need to be ejected in a safe manner, like this

Best space gun would be a Metalstorm 12 gauge.
>self contained so no issue firing in space
>versatile ammo options for fighting in orbit, in space stations or on planet surfaces
>ammo can be used in a larger multi-barrel "machine gun" or mortars, or by infantry
>large "machine guns" volly fire would fuck up satellites, ships or missiles
>no moving parts so moon, mars, etc dust can fuck it up
Metalstorm was too ahead of its time

It's not as bad of a problem as you think it is, it takes an enormous amount of heat to burn out a gun barrel. To improve though you could go back to barrel fins, make them out of a good radiator material like silicon carbide, or if you want to get really fancy you could use graphene coated copper which is an amazing passive radiator material. Caseless exacerbates heating issues because as another user has already pointed out that steaming hot brass is acting as a heat sink by soaking some of the heat and then letting it be discarded from the gun. You could modify the gun to have a brass catching hopper on the ejection port sufficient to snag a couple of mags worth of casings, or just not worry about them because if you're on an airless moon they will fall to the ground, just more slowly, and if you're in an orbit they are only going just about as fast as you are, relative to you, your buddies, and any equipment that might be hit by the brass it's just moving as the speed it was when it was ejected from the gun and it's in a predictable place since it can't alter it's own trajectory.

A small barrel jacket for liquid coolant. If it gets too hot you can just purge the coolant and refill

Remember that while you cool down slower, you still have the same thermal capacity. Anything smaller than an LMG doesn't need cooling. You could dump your entire combat load and it still wouldn't be hot enough to be a problem.
Meme. The differences in chamber temperature is basically negligible. The cook off problem was because it touched the chamber wall directly, not because the weapon was significantly hotter.

You ain't fucking around

Attached: NTW-20 Anti-Material Rifle or the Sniper Rifle from Halo.png (629x470, 304K)

Attached: California SPACE AR-15 1.jpg (1500x509, 118K)

Attached: California SPACE AR-15 2.jpg (1500x509, 283K)

>monks_chanting.mp3

>IWS 2000
I realize this thread is mostly about aesthetics not about actual guns for space but I do wonder how an APFSDS rifle would adapt to work in space. I mean obviously you have to drop the fin stabilization and make it not smooth bore. Would the rotation be enough to kick away the sabot with no air resistance to pull them off? Would you even need to have the sabot separate at all?

Attached: APFSDS-T-01.jpg (300x1200, 60K)

Steyr ACR
Just look at it. Fired telescoped polycase flechettes at nearly 5k FPS. Weighed half as much as and would have been half the price of the contemporary service ARs.

Attached: acr aug.jpg (5149x3358, 2.1M)

>actual space gun
>has never been in space

Laughing commies.sh

Attached: tp-82.jpg (3872x2592, 872K)

It's on my list.

Attached: steyr-m9.jpg (2048x1151, 548K)

>having to deal with high speed brass raining down after someone magdumps your spacewalk
I like it.

That thing is awesome, it included some ahead of their time ideas - polymer cased telescoped ammo, push through extraction in a amazingly simple operating mechanism. Too bad that flechettes themselves are fucking terrible - shit terminal effectiveness, deflected by anything, and comparatively expensive to manufacture.

I wish those were more common so I could try one out.

Or just changeable canisters of compressedair. Honestly I can see space guns looking a lot like WWI water cooled MGs.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 47K)

Same here. I'm in love with how the features and ergos LOOK but I can't for my life find one in a store to actually hold. I'm likely to just get one on a leap of faith anyways.

Attached: FBDE6FB3-8987-4B8A-8A2E-14903BA5D4A0.jpg (1000x750, 145K)

My dick

Attached: cobalt-kinetics-model-27.jpg (1086x610, 218K)

>ARposting in a space gun thread
Wtf is wrong with you user

Attached: pss.jpg (1024x723, 148K)

Attached: Alien-pistol-7.jpg (2010x1338, 864K)

literally just got back from trading my ps90

Marvel of engineering as it was, it never saw real world use.

Spaaace guns

Attached: AF85627D-049F-48C6-9C04-AD240A87A711.png (1136x640, 1.08M)

Why did you trade is and what did you trade it for

I'm really salty I forgot to include the calico in this pic.

Attached: IMG_20181230_123625_382.jpg (3192x1716, 1.86M)

What does that have to do with anything? Genuinely curious. It's an ambi gun

Well you wouldn't need the FS for space since there's no substantial resistance (it exists but is so small it would only effect projectiles traveling near the speed of light). You probably don't need a sabot at all in the classical sense, just a collar nearly the same diameter as the barrel to keep the round stable as it passes through so that no wobble is imparted to it as it leaves. The collar doesn't need to be discarded because again, no significant drag. You could also make it APGJ (armor piercing gyrojet) where the "bullet" is essentially just a 3D printed metal shell filled with a stable propellant and a hardened penetrator dart with some straight even holes in the bottom to propel it forward when the propellant is ignited. In atmosphere these holes have to be carefully machined to lend the round a spin but in space there is no need for projectiles to have a stabilizing spin to keep them from tumbling.

Likely to happen, maybe reversed suppressor with coolant that cools the chamber and throat of the barrel.

Go for it, they're great. Cheap too.

Out of the way, nerds

Attached: DSCN1555.jpg (1920x1080, 311K)

What's the optic on this?

fuck you, nerd

Attached: Third leg of the outer rim.png (1920x818, 1.58M)

>video game

Can somebody post the faux-infograph someone made of all the Space Force guns and ships? I'm pretty sure there was an orbital command station called the "USS Donald J. Trump" or something

That's a lot of buckles friend

What's the suppressor?

With no air resistance, you wouldn't need a discarding sabot in the first place; you'd just use a subcaliber penetrator housed within a lightweight full-caliber shell. Think HVAP, not APDS.

I unironically want this

FPBP

Attached: 48428675_1186537998160924_3122409772146491392_o.jpg (1920x1080, 121K)

i was in the exact same boat, found one at a gunshow, and they feel just as nice as they look
gunsmidwest has the m9 for $460. bought my threaded model from them for like $500 a few months ago.

The magazine kind of kills it for me.

best for greasing toasters and skinjobs

Attached: cx4storm_zoom002.jpg (840x256, 23K)

You could also make it APGJ (armor piercing gyrojet)
Why would you bother with the gyrojet if it's already being fired from a rifle? Needlessly complicated given it will already be firing a sub caliber penetrator.
>In atmosphere these holes have to be carefully machined to lend the round a spin but in space there is no need for projectiles to have a stabilizing spin to keep them from tumbling.
This is wrong. It will still tumble in space - the fit and the crown are never perfect, the combustion is not 100% consistent etc. And you still need it to hit pointy end first. Its exacerbated without air - without rifling in no atmosphere you'll just keyhole because theres nothing to interact with to push it off target but it also won't self correct aerodynamically. You'll be more accurate than you would be when you keyhole in air, but you'll also keyhole more.
Add in a gyrojet and any tumbling or misalignment means your own jets quickly push you off course. And if they're not carefully machined, the thrust differential between ports can and will also alter your trajectory.

>tfw I just want a fn five seven because of battlestar Galactica

I just like the look

Attached: 1472676713552.png (639x462, 165K)

>Mel brooks intensifies

Attached: 48655878-0D9B-44AF-8266-3E60AD9CAF03.jpg (900x600, 193K)

And Covies
youtube.com/watch?v=so10dKbhorI

Attached: 1552455918984.jpg (1336x752, 340K)

Attached: 1548358690224.jpg (2016x1512, 348K)

Your mum's dick

> I mean obviously you have to drop the fin stabilization
what do you think the FS in APFSDS stands for?

>but in space there is no need for projectiles to have a stabilizing spin to keep them from tumbling
Inertia and torque are still things that exists in a vacuum. Give your rocket round a boost in the wrong direction and your round will start cartwheeling
t. physicsfag

Attached: 1550431517029.png (700x700, 35K)

Whys it look like something you would find made out of playdoh in an African daycare

DEX STOCK NEVER EVER

Massively based

He's talking about adapting a specific thing, the Steyr IWS 2000, to work in space. The 2000 is currently an APFSDS anti-materiel "rifle" so he's correct in stating that going from APFSDS to APDS is the first step.
My question is what do you think needs that level of killing? 40mm of RHA at 1km in atmosphere is a lot of penetration in an environment where the walls are paper thin in comparison to real armor.
>inb4 someone tries to correct me with muh whipple shields
They require hypervelocity projectiles to be effective. Something so slow (relatively) like a rifle round will easily retain cohesion and blow through the thin aluminum sheets that make up the shielding.

Traded it because Californian and got a nice hi point for it.

The original space guns
>Ljutic Recoiless Space Shotgun
>Ljutic Recoiless Space Rifle

Accept no substitutes

22LR will punch through both sides of a capsule, but sure, lets waste all that energy hauling up actual tank rounds