Steyr AUG A3

Hey Jow Forums,
I'm debating picking up one of these fellas, but I'm looking for some input on it. Pros/cons, modifications, competitors that you think would be better, etc.

Attached: aug_m1_grn_scope_fl_l.jpg (700x544, 18K)

Assuming that you’re right handed, mods not required. Assuming that you get either the rail version or the 3x military optic.

Getting the AR mag version might be a better option if you blow all of your bux on the gun. Take AR mags.

>AR mag version
lmao this bullshit couldn't/doesn't even accept STAGNAG mags- the money you have to pay to participate in the inferiority market is astounding

Attached: F90-7.jpg (800x800, 42K)

I have an A3 CQC.
Trigger is pretty bad, can be fixed with parts ranging 50-100$, theres also a great trigger out there but its like 300$ if you can find one for sale. Balance is alright, AUG factory mags are great and magpul makes mags for it as well, don't get the NATO versions.
If you want an AUG, get an AUG, if you want better, get an AR.

Fuckery going on with the atrax import.
Back and forth with ATF on where to serialize, company importing it just changed ownership. At this rate, I’d just pick up an AUG and a Bren 2 rifle when they get tooling over stateside

there's a reason we're called firearms enthusiasts and not firearms investors, my dude

>Getting the AR mag version might be a better option

Whatever you do OP, don't listen to this retard.

You are better off with the Tavor

I guess being able to afford bullshit is what distinguishes the former on this board

>wanting to own bullshit

Don't lie, you wouldn't mind being the guy at the range with a Rose Gold Deagle

Great gun user. Definitely get the long, low railed version

IMO the trigger isn’t that bad, but if you want to fix it you have two options
>neu-trigger (left)
$30 and extremely easy to install. Trigger squeeze still long, but very smooth
>ratworx 20/20 sear (right)
$100 drop in part. Trigger squeeze shortened and a little bit smoother

Don’t get the NATO version because it eliminates features, like the bolt release and bolt hold open.

This fag is retarded. The GI AR15 mag was designed to be like 10 rounds and disposable. They realized that was retarded and upped the capacity to 30 rounds, but they had to make the weird angle in the mag, and that affects reliability. The AUG mag was designed with the curve of the 5.56 round in mind, it’s high quality, and it’s translucent which is cool

Attached: E414DFF1-F04F-434D-9F73-09408903A883.jpg (2858x3816, 2.24M)

Unless you need something military grade, as in it's going to be your primary SHTF rifle, consider the RDB. Beats the AUG in several areas.

>has normal thumb safety rather than push bar
>has normal, safer trigger guard
>has better trigger
>cheaper
>ambidextrous

Hahahaha

Classic optic is kinda shit, so consider getting one with a rail so you can put an ACOG or something else on it.
Your call of you want AR mags or not.

It predates AR mags being common in anything but AR15s.

The Tavor is super boring though.

Different guy, but I'd rather have a Desert Eagle with color case hardening, as that actually looks sexy.

Attached: e180883e3fafcfb8f44f44e9189401b0.jpg (640x640, 86K)

If you get it with rails, you might want to replace the charging handle.

>The GI AR15 mag was designed to be like 10 rounds and disposable. They realized that was retarded and upped the capacity to 30 rounds, but they had to make the weird angle in the mag, and that affects reliability.
Talk about getting the entire thing wrong.

It was 20rds, and the magazine was straight to let it just slam into a straight magwell, like with a subgun.
The 5.56mm is slightly tapered, and stacks like that inside to allow the straight shape.
The idea to make the magazines disposable (loaded 20 rounds at the factory), didn't come up until the AR15 was adopted as the M16, and it didn't take long to realize how awful that concept was, and thus phasing them out for reloadable magazines.
30rd mags would come later still, and was intended for the CAR15s, the idea being they would better fit the role of a "subgun" with a 30rd mag.
Besides the higher capacity, the semi-curved shape allows for better feed geometry than the straight kind, and also involved the use an anti-tilt follower (which didn't work with the straight mags).
30rd magazines wouldn't start becoming standard with M16s until the 80s though, and by the 90s and 2000s the magazines would have been improved multiple times.
Then later still you see even better aftermarket mags made out of plastic, which overall perform much better than previous GI mags.

Unless you're using really old GI mags, or sketchy aftermarket mags like from ProMag, Thermold, or HexMag, you shouldn't be having any problems with AR15 magazines.

I also want to say that the AR15 as submitted by Armalite for testing, had a chromelined chamber and bore, and that it was the idea of autistic beancounter in chief McNamara to have it removed to save money.

As an occasional Kel-Tec apologist, I will not agree with this, the RDB is fucking gay, and the AUG is much better.

Ive always liked the aug. I finally bought ine like a year ago. Ive shot and handled them before buying, i was always on the fence. I couldnt decide if i liked it or not so i bought one thinking it might grow on me. It has. Its not for everyone and it has some getting used to but i love mine now

>GI mags are shit!
I used to be one of these guys, but then I realized that I was retarded. I kept all of my issued mags from the Marin Crops, so I've had them for a good 5 years now at least. I've never had a single issue with my mags, no double feeds, no ftfs, nothing. I think GIs just hate their gear and make sure everyone knows it when they get out.

>Unless you're using really old GI mags

>but then I realized that I was retarded.

Why not just by a stock for the other regarding which one you choose? Or is this a more internal problem as opposed to a fitting problem?

I think some of it is carbines and rifles which haven't been seeing the best maintenance (just like the M9 pistol and M249 SAW), and I know a lot of people are idiots who don't understand the burst cam on the M16A2 and M16A4, reporting its behavior as a malfunction when it behaves like they don't expect.

you're a fag.

you require 1 mod: an after market charging handle.

>Bren 2

Any idea when we can expect the Bren 2 here in the U.S? I know the pistol versions have just been announced, but what about the regular ones? The Bren 2 BR 308 really catches my eye.

Attached: Big Think.jpg (1000x904, 119K)

I knew I was fuzzy on whether or not the first AR15 mag was 10 or 20 rounds.

Either way I’m not wrong about the AUG mag being superior. The design is literally better in every way to nato mags. I’m not saying that all AR mags are shit, because aftermarket mags are really good, but GI mags are still shitty

10 rounds would have put the mag base right at the well

what's bad about the optic?

>military grade
>used by 0 militaries
I have an RDB, but the only 5.56 rifle (out of 10) I've got that I've seen misfires with hard primers is the RDB.

Oh please, as if 99% of you faggots *need* anything more than a Ruger American. Bullshit is 90% of Jow Forums.

30 round M16 mags were standard by 1969 dude

Anyone hear about the new STAGNAG version coming out that is upgraded with a bolt release? Might have to get my first bullpup soon.

This is you.

Attached: 1469836800964.jpg (960x540, 29K)

Boatgun for STANAG bullpup.

Attached: KOjZpfr.jpg (600x425, 80K)

Buy it. Get the railed version in anything but the short rail. Get a rail mounted sling point because the front sling mount is retarded. If you want a charging handle get the Gear Head Worx one. Don't get the STANAG variant. It's retarded and AUG mags are cheap enough. Tape the area behind the ejection port. Everything else on the rifle is fine. Shoot it and enjoy it.