What are the expansion/ fragmentation thresholds of .223 Soft Points and OTMs?

What are the expansion/ fragmentation thresholds of .223 Soft Points and OTMs?

Attached: federal 223 54 grain power shok.jpg (480x480, 18K)

Generally 1800-1900 fps

Depends on which one. Some are as low as 1300fps, others are as high as 2500fps. Most of the hunting softpoints will be in the ~1800fps range. There are LITERALLY THOUSANDS of different .224 softpoints and OTMs out there.

Depends on the manufacturer, but I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you don't use an absurdly short barrel, your bullets will have no problem expanding at any range you can hit that animal.

>tfw routinely shoot things smaller than people at ranges that even very aggressively expanding varmint hollowpoints don't....even in "full size" rifle calibers like .308 and .243 from 20"+ barrels
I can reliably hit prairie dogs at 600-700yds with my .243, which has a 24" barrel. I've yet to find a bullet that expanded or fragmented reliably at that range, even the 60-70gr Vmax/Varmageddon/Varmint Grenades. Prairie dogs are smaller than a football and roughly the same shape.

What would you say for hornady frontier 62 gr spire point. I was also looking at federal 64 gr power shok or russian (barnaul) 62 grain soft points.

Why would you worry about expansion against an animal so small that any butter can kill it?

>butter
I'm sure this was a typo, but now I'm going to need to see a prairie dog murdered with butter.

$350 to the first person to load up a potato gun with a few sticks of butter and manage to kill a prairie dog

Freeze some butter and load it up in my wrist cannon kek

>Kill prairie dog with margarine
>I can't believe its not butter!

>Some are as low as 1300fps
Which? Lowest I've heard was 1900 from Sierra TMKs.

>tfw routinely shoot things smaller than people at ranges that even very aggressively expanding varmint hollowpoints don't....even in "full size" rifle calibers like .308 and .243 from 20"+ barrels
Can you type that again, but in English?

OTM is generally 2250 fps but tipped variants willl normally be lower

you can call hornady and ask. Id guess between 1800 and 2200

Nosler claims some of their bullets expand down to 1300 fps but some people claim it's close to 1800 fps for reliable penetration. I want to say it's their ABLR series.
Most big game hunting bullets state 1800 fps. 77gr TMK I thought fragmented at even lower velocities

>77gr TMK I thought fragmented at even lower velocities
It appears it could, but was only tested down down to 1900FPS by Black Hills.

>*reliable expansion
not penetration my bad
Sounds like we read the same thing. I ran a chart on them at 2650 fps and it offered close to 400 yards fragmentation range if 1800 fps which is pretty dope considering most otm variants Ive seen is closer to 200 yard area

>What would you say for hornady frontier

Most bullet makers publish this data. Check their websites and/or load books, that's what they are for. My Hornady book gives 1700 fps minimum for 60 grain spire point (it doesn't list a 62).

have you considered learning how to speak English

Winchester's Deer Season XP, which is a tipped softpoint, will exhibit some expansion as low as 1300fps. JLK VLD's will usually fragment down to around 1400fps because they have paper-thin jackets, although at that velocity it's not a very violent fragmentation.

I've yet to see Barnaul "soft points" expand at any velocity, they use a fairly thick steel jacket.

the 64gr Power Shoks won't reliably expand beyond caliber diameter below about 2000fps. The Spire Points I don't know.

Because when you poke a .22 or .24 caliber hole in them without expansion/fragmentation they have a tendency to not die very fast, often making it back to their burrows and spooking the rest of the town with their squealing, which fucks up the shoot for the rest of the day.

Maybe uh, aim better.

>700 yard varmint removal even hitting
>aim better
lol

Maybe try an eldm 75 grains up to whatever you can stabilize. Dont they have a higher BC that all those varmint bullets? If they retain about 1700 fps that far youll be in good shape

que

#
#
just ran the 75 grain eldm at 3200 fps (reasonable in 243?), ~1900 fps at 700 yards and about 600 ft/lb of energy. Should perform well if you can get them to shoot in your gun. Might even work for deer if you live in a smaller deer state and avoid shoulders

I've tried match bullets in the past, they either don't fragment at all or don't fragment soon enough because of how small the prairie dogs are. They're also about twice as expensive as what I normally shoot (65gr Vmax).

So, what, are you expecting a headshot on an animal slightly smaller than a football, at 600+ yards? Sorry friendo, I don't have a 1/8 MOA rifle. Their heads are smaller than a racquet ball.

so Im retarded and was looking at .224 options instead of 6mm where theres only 108 grain

I've tried the 70gr SMK 6mm bullet at a chrono'd 3250fps from my gun. It doesn't fragment within the width of a prairie dog past about 500yds. I don't know if this means it doesn't fragment period, or simply has too long a neck and is through the critter before it upsets. It should still be going about 2000fps at 500.