>>>/v/454430410

Jow Forums, how would (you) design a believable "futuristic" gun? Pic unrelated.

Attached: what the fuck is this shit.jpg (1100x500, 110K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zj28qAV6_7U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

a bullpup caseless carbine

>Mag lines up with the barrel.
>Space for a gas system.
>Space for the bolt to cycle.
>Usable ergonomics.
>Sights.
>Minimal excess shit.
Seems relatively fine to me.

I don't like my Left hand either.

>posts one of the least bullshit games when it comes to gun design

Even the energy weapons aren't too unbelievable. The Wingman or Mozambique would have been much better examples but even they have their anatomy built so the magazines aren't clipping through the butt of the gun or the barrel being away from the action.

The Titanfall series has always had some fairly believable designs. I loved how modular some patterns of guns are canonically, where you have guns like the R-series of firearms (R97 SMG/PDW, R101 Carbine/Assault Rifle, D101 DMR) as well as others like the Hemlok and Spitfire which all share receivers but have all sorts of different shit slapped on like the Stoner 63. Shit, some of the guns in Titanfall are modeled after real guns, notably the Smart Pistol is just a Springfield XDM or the G2 being modeled after a M1A.

Attached: ryan-lastimosa-smart-pistol-concept-art.jpg (1920x1600, 436K)

mozambique?

>tfw no Smart Pistol

god this was really such a cool, innovative, unique game. So much of what it did has been copied and the rest will surely be copied eventually

Clearly modeled after the Taurus judge

Just looks like a heavier caliber P90 with a different feed system. Looks perfectly plausible, unlike most vidya weapons. I don't see the problem.

Predator cannon, a wearable turret that tracks an IR laser originating from your goggles, can also mount the turret elsewhere and control it remotely while a sightline camera streams what it sees to your goggles

Your gun is at the ready at all times even if your hands are full, can stay behind cover and fire remotely, can add advanced tracking and friendly fire avoidance software

I firmly believe that AR-pattern rifles will still be dominant in 2050, assuming that human civilization is still around at that point.

>Super space pistol.
>8 shots

Some gucci-uzi looking thing with cased telescoped 5.56 equivalent ammo, magwell in grip.

>Still waiting for the first commercially available telescoped ammo.
This is a real kinda suffering, bros...

>plastic CT case
>plasticizer-stabilized HMX instead of smokeless powder
>possibly a laser diode based electro-thermal primer (only if using electrical ignition, which I doubt will happen)
>definitely some kind of smart optic

this, but it absolutely should be electrically fired (with no discrete primer element to the rounds). this isn't really 'future', this has been the obvious next step in small arms for generations already, actively suppressed by the world government which has put as much of a general freeze on small arms development as it could manage.

Attached: daisyVLammunition.jpg (1500x1125, 453K)

Each one is an insanely expensive self-guided micromissile with a computer built in. They limit it in-game for balance reasons, and in-universe for cost.

>Caseless forward break action revolver with a fully expendable drum when fired
>"Quickload" six shot mags are sold separately for it

GIVE IT TO ME

So a Wingman with a more sensible reload mechanism.

Attached: Wingman_Pistol.png (753x462, 432K)

>a believable "futuristic" gun

AR-15. We'll be using it for the next 400 years.

Essentially a Diamondback from DE: HR?

For 'caseless' ammunition, why not a combustible casing? Make a foam out of some combustible, high-melt temp plastic like PETG. It would be a good thermal insulator as a foam, preventing the round from cooking off, but would easily burn up when the round fires. Maybe put a little bit of an oxidizer in it to help it fully burn up.
>electrically fired (with no discrete primer element to the rounds)
How are we going to make a round that doesn't get set off by static discharge but does work with that? Maybe have terminals that stab through an insulating layer when the round is chambered?

>For 'caseless' ammunition, why not a combustible casing?
jesus christ

No, he has a point. Even the G11 had a sort of casing, it was just the powder compacted into a sort of plastic. Making ammo that has a sort of casing that still vaporizes and is removed from the gun through other means than shell ejection has merit.

Yes. NOW MAKE IT AND GIVE IT TO ME

What? I mean something discrete that isn't just powder+binder. Caseless made fron nitrocellulose only tend to cook off from directly contacting the chamber after several rounds habe been fired, no? You would want something to insulate the powder or a powder that combusts at a higher temperature, but that requires HMX and is expensive, no?

Bullpup is in the past already not the future. So is caseless.

No lie, I played that game when I was nogunz kid and have wanted a revolver like that ever since.

That is literally how caseless ammunition works you Goddamn mong.

I was referring to idea, making the casing NOT the powder, but rather out of a material that vaporizes alongside the powder.

They simply haven't been perfected, especially caseless. Bullpup guns are competitive in most ways with the AR pattern, so at worst, they're contemporary, and caseless has some kinks that need to be worked out, but it's still an idea worth pursuing.

But the round is, aside from bullet and primer, usually 100% the same powder and binder combo, yes? So if you wanted to reduce cook off, you must increase the temperature at which the powder reacts. I was just suggesting you put a foamed, combustible casing around the powder with a higher max stable temperature so that one could continue to use cheaper nitrocellulose powder.

Again, that's essentially how every moderately functional caseless design has worked. You form something that can be fed from a magazine out of combustible material. If you're suggesting a literal case that burns up filled with conventional powder you've now got a fragile low order ignitable case filled with conventional powder with a completely different burn rate. There's a reason blended polymer and powder were settled on to form a "case" from a consistent propellant block.

Bullpup machine pistol PDW, uses Glock (or some other standard, common) magazines and is designed to take optics out the box.

Attached: fd8824e13cdab687fbedfc2b6b85404c.png (804x608, 149K)

>in the future, guns will get 20% larger and more complicated for no obvious reason
These devs are always trying to make things "look cool" instead of look useful. The purpose of advancing mechanical technology is to make designs more efficient and smaller. Whoever fucking designed that P90 knockoff also has no clue what the fuck makes the gun work.

It's inspired by Seburo stuff, which is also complete form-over-function nonsense, but it looks rad.

Attached: 889a6110c4835d7adf44502d809a5a18.jpg (450x273, 17K)

>powder with a completely different burn rate
The burn rate of the powder and of the case could probably be made to match, but it would probably be fragile if it were foamed for insulation.

The biggest problem with discussing the merits and technicalities of caseless ammo and "futuristic" weapon systems is that a lot of the materials just haven't been developed.

The wooden-crate industries of the early 1900s were surely thinking ahead about how to improve their shipping methods, but they simply couldn't have known that we'd refine paper products as well as we did to create cheap corrugated cardboard. As well, they had no clue that we'd be refining oil to the point of making trillions of disposable foam pellets to protect whatever's being shipped.

Our imaginations are limited to the technology we have at hand, and while we can take inspiration from fiction and stretching the limits of what we currently have, we'll always be a step behind the guy who's just discovering the next big super-material.

based

Attached: seburo m5.jpg (1600x1137, 332K)

With that said, the next leap will be barrel and action metallurgy that allows the use of MUCH higher pressure ammunition types. With that, telescoping ammunition like the Russians were experimenting with in the 50s.

It's already happening (but I suspect will take off in the next 10-20 years) is advanced electronics being integrated with firearms in useful ways. Halo's ammo counters are perfectly feasible, assuming we can easily harden the electronics. Helmet/optics integration is another one. Really, all the technology that humans in the Halo series developed (not counting energy shields, the space-stuff, and shit they reverse-engineered from the covenant) will be possible within the next 100 years. Armor is getting cheaper, lighter, and more effective, so I suspect in 50 years time we'll have less clunky armor for infantry with better coverage. That's assuming that we're not using mostly robots by then, though.

Kel Tec has actually put out some interesting bullpup designs- this is the KS7 shotgun. Just slightly over 26" long. It ejects spent shells from the bottom.

Attached: kel-ks7grn-280x280.jpg (280x280, 46K)

Any futuristic gun design from me would feature absurdly long magazines loaded from the front like the G11

Attached: 2dc9191555a82d6c90b563b76f13ee46.jpg (960x804, 80K)

what are you, some kind of normie

Attached: The mystery belt of LMG11_1.jpg (891x635, 91K)

My next Attachment for my XD, is gonna be that slide. Fuck that stupid bladerunner bullshit.

Caseless already had a residue problem to begin with, why worsen the odds?

This reminded me of a different idea
You know how they can impregnate sintered metal with oil for lubrication? What about impregnating a sintered coating with detergent to make it easier to clean/harder to gum up?

Exploding ammo
Basically some AP ammo that's designed to explode after about 8 inches of penetration. I mean the explosion wouldn't even need to be particularly big, even a small pop will fuck your insides up pretty good.
You could basically say that micro-technology got so cheap to produce in the future that the price of installing a pressure sensor and microsecond accurate timer to a quarter of an inch explosive that their price is affordable enough that well funded mercenary and military groups can after to outfit their men with a few magazines of the stuff.

Attached: 1402208299939.jpg (678x800, 115K)

the problem with most "futuristic" is that they would be heavy as fuck. designers like to add a bunch of superfluous shit to the outside.

The only P90 inspiration here is the handguard and optics rail. Not really a knockoff mate.

>he doesn't like the prowler

the fuck is wrong with you user

Do i have a surprise for you
youtube.com/watch?v=zj28qAV6_7U

Smart pistols just pave the way for smart gun control