How viable would something like this be in the real world?

Pic is a Juggernaut, which is a mobile artillery walker. Even if we had the technology and capabilities to produce "walkers" or mechs today, would they really provide a significant benefit over current weapons? Would it be worth manufacturing them?

Disadvantages
>large target
>easy to spot
>weak points in the legs?
>potentially difficult to manufacture?
>offers the same or similar firepower

Advantages
>looks cool
>???

Attached: gdi-juggernaut.png (1920x1080, 487K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eWkgFdUcayY
cncnet.org/tiberian-sun
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

they can climb stairs or stair like terrain

places a human or packmule can go

>the legs would make it slow so what's the point really, you would want it to follow or keep up woth humvees
>looks some what small so where are the rounds going to be
>I am guessing the they are auto cannons rather then a tank turret so it's okay
>not sure but it looks like it would not be able to aim high up at more than 35 degrees or it's gonna fall but do you need it to aim up? would it be a good anti air deterence?

Attached: 1 RwpgXVEcuuek5Vp59pMGXQ.png (1332x1112, 755K)

Except no. Because if a treaded vehicle can’t climb up it, a walker in no way shape or form will be able to

>places a small amount of lube on the ground

>bipedal
Lol not even remotely.

The only big walkers we're probably going to see in our lifetime are going to be doing riot control because robots are intimidating to people with no heavy weapons. Against anything military they have too many downsides. Sucks but no Battletech for you or me, OP.

Attached: Anne Frank-Steiner.png (339x473, 205K)

Any tech that would make mechs remotely feasible would make tanks ten times better and flying vehicles one-hundred times better.

These. Piloting an honest-to-god mech would be a dream come true, though.

We might get power armor at least.

Attached: Longinus.jpg (500x497, 107K)

Nah

What do you mean by that? Like what sort of improvements and advancements could you see?

Negation of physics for starters would be pretty sweet if applied to planes. If we're talking actual reality then materials sciences, gyroscopic stabilizers in the joints, hydraulic systems, power systems, pilot setups, armor, etc. All better suited on something that isn't an RPG magnet.

Using current tech here is the best we can actually produce.
>6 or 8 legged walker
>Slow but able to carry a lot and/or be outfitted with giant fuck off cannons
>Would likely be only used in crowd/riot control.

The type of energy storage that would allow for mechs or walkers would make all the other vehicles even infantry mobile artillery powerhouses of rape and lemon juice.

Powered armor is 110% guaranteed at this point, the only question is how long it will deployed for before semi-autonomous ground drones take over on the front lines completely and how big and heavy it can get before it's no longer viable for urban environments (were it's most useful).
Elemental style armor will probably never be a thing, because the foot and shoulder size will stop it from getting through doorways and up stairs and the weight is going to make it too heavy to be supported by wooden floors and the like.

That said, if you look at how less than 100 years of technological advancement let aircraft go from artillery observers who had to grab pistols and pop shots at other aircraft for self defense, to the most deadly and important part of any military that's capable of flying half way around the world and striking targets they can't see... military technology isn't something that you can predict.

Maybe for commercial purposes, like broadcast mech fights, or ride-a-mech attractions.

Just a tank with legs and 3 cannons?
The basics of tanks are the same for 100 years because it's efficient, there is no reason to change it.

How many times do we need this thread? Mechs would fucking suck in the real world let it go

It's an artillery piece. The part sticking up in the back is a third leg that it deploys before firing. Barrels go to vertical (and the AI is perfectly happy to shoot straight up and blow itself to bits if a target gets close, so don't let that happen).

Exactly that?

>3 gun turret
Just fuck my ring up, senpai
>tall profile
Literally just shoot me
>stability
with a center of mass 20 feet off of the ground on and only 2 sticks to support it we can't fail.
>No emergency hatch
Probably passed out from falling 10 feet straight down after the first impact anyway so moot point

Walkers are always stupid from an engineering perspective, only real argument for practical mecha shit in the future is usually power armor and it's still a stretch.

Just strap a bunch of plastic explosives to a cloud of drones and counter armor forever in the hard-hard future.

we had an irl mech fight and it was awful, because they can't risk anyone getting hurt.

watching chinese heavy equipment companies having their operators fight it out in the streets with bulldozers and shit over contracts is like 100x more interesting, as is battlebots, since the lil' unmanned guys can legitimately smack the utter shit out of each other no holds barred.

>Hasn't played tiberium sun or tiberium wars.
Shame. Shame. Shame.

The juggernaught doesn't have a turret and isn't supposed to be a front line unit. It's 'body' is a casemate and the crew sit in a little cockpit off to the side of the casemate. The whole thing is supposed to be a indirect fire support platform, so a more pressing question would be where the thing stores all it's ammo, rather than whether it can take hits without falling over or not.

If you want to scoff at an impractical C&C design, the titan is the one you want, given that it's a turreted 'main-battle-walker' with the gun outside the turret and to one side. Its also slow as fuck in the game compared to nod tanks.

Attached: titan walker.jpg (740x588, 70K)

Here's a better picture of it in all it's glory.

Attached: Titan Mk. I _ Command and Conquer Wiki _ FANDOM powered by Wikia(2).jpg (1000x750, 141K)

FUCK GDI

Eat a dick alien meth crystal addict

You had better completely pave your base.
Flame tanks are on the way.

based House Steiner

Are there any instructions on how to build this? I wanna get my old legos out again.

literally get a truck or car pulled AT or cannon you absolute fucking mongoloid. even bike pulled artillery would be 100× better

Is that bar on the front of the cabin for raising the guns? If so then imo that's fucking retarded, you could knock it out with an rpg, or likely cripple it with higher caliber small arms, then you've got three cannons which can only fire along one plain.
Also, would having each gun be able to fire at a different elevation just be retarded? Would you be able to cover three targets effectively? Or would it just mean you miss all three? They don't need to fire all at the same time ofc

>tiny turret that can maybe cram 3 shells max into the vehicle for each gun, despite being a fire support/artillery vehicle.
>high center of gravity, great combination with the recoil of essentially an Iowa-class battleship turret mounted on the walker.
that's a retardedly designed vehicle separate of the face of it being a bipedal walker. Its proportions are completely out of the realm of realism and it's triggering my autism. Combat vehicles aren't just a gun and a locomotive system. You need a shitload of space for ammunition and a powerplant, on top of not having to neglect shit like optics and realizing that making a tiny vehicle that has no free space means that you're effectively making it impossible to upgrade.

There are people who don't pave their base? I always considered it mandatory.
>flame tanks
>tib inside the walls from seeker'd harvesters
>plasmids from infantry that got killed by the above
>digger apcs full of engineers
>constant cratering from cluster missiles

you are stupid a walker with 4 legs or 2 legs 2 hands can climb where no thread can possibly go

As much as I like mecha it will never be as viable as an Aussie with a Subaru

what mechas can't shoot up mosques during prayer?

I may try to pull the sprite animations off of a disk this weekend.
Hope Windows 7 can handle old 32 bit games.
I used to mod the heck out of TS RAYR.
Even had the voxel tool.

Is Command and Conquer dead?

It died with Westwood.
[spoiler]Honestly 3 wasn't bad, but I still eat and breathe Firestorm

Nah, it just got a sequel a couple of months ago.

3 would probably be better if the multiplayer changes hadn't made the single player virtually unbeatable.

Attached: Command-and-Conquer-Rivals.png (1087x612, 1.12M)

You're a fucking idiot

That's not a sequel, it's a cash grab.

The the Juggernaut? Hell no. The recoil would knock it over every time you shoot. You want a quad-leg design for a walking artillery piece. That way you can spread out the legs to give you a more stable firing platform than treads or wheels can provide.

A walker can bypass an anti-tank trench just by stepping out of it.

No. They’re remastering OG Tiberium Dawn

Chromehounds was the best mech game anyway.

are you blind? it has a third leg for shooting.

The jugs do have a turret. Once deployed in tib wars at a target they rotate on a stationary position to the target.

Super light but also super strong structural metals for starters, we're seeing a few early versions now like tungsten-aluminum-nickle alloys with most of tungsten's strength but significant reductions in weight. Ideally a mech would be made of something even lighter and even stronger, which would be great for both planes and tanks, you could make all of the low temperature engine parts and structural parts of a plane out of it and significantly increase it's maximum payload, fuel efficiency, etc by reducing the dry takeoff weight of the aircraft. Tanks would benefit greatly by allowing a lot of the structural components and maybe of the homogeneous armor to be significantly lighter, which means less stress on tracks, more fuel efficiency and thus range, better road speeds. Another thing that would be necessary for mechs is a highly compact powerplant, since so much of a mech's volume is just limbs it actually has pretty limited volume to commit to a powerplant while planes and tanks on the other hand have huge sections of their internal volume taken up just for powerplant and fuel. If you could build say a super small gas turbine that still puts out around 1200-1500 horsepower that is also super efficient then both planes and tanks would benefit immensely from such technology.

Mah nigga
Tarakia4lyfe

You're better off just using a tank. The legs may look cool, but they're terrible when it comes to balance. By having the weighty turrets so high up, the center of gravity will be raised. The force exerted from the recoil alone would near topple this thing, meaning an extremely heavy counterweight would be required to prevent the thing from tumbling backwards during firing, or when receiving a hit, or when attempting to move up a steep incline. This added weight would mean moving the thing would requires far more energy (therefore, fuel) and to simply have the turret much lower to the ground, with tracks, would negate all of the above issues whilst also giving it a much lower profile, making it more difficult to shoot.

Attached: lift_truck_load_stability.jpg (820x504, 55K)

if tracks are so good, what would i "stand" to lose by chopping them off and putting myself on a tiny tank lower body

If you could figure out some way to seamlessly connect them so you can control them as a natural extension to your body, nothing. Other than voluntarily becoming a manlet

>tfw i recognize andy
Is the guy still alive?
I hope he cured his lisp

We don't know because we don't have the technology. You can oy theorize.

>Other than voluntarily becoming a manlet
hydraulics, son

the tank will simply raise or lower as needed

The only time a humanoid mech would be better than basically anything else are when it's either small enough it's a powered armor or exoskeleton, and as such is just armor for the "pilot", or when they're so stupidly fast that they might as well be jets that can also land and walk around, and at that point keeping them shaped more like an aircraft would probably be better.

They're still cool though. V Day ones in particular since they scratch my "muh gritty """"realism"""" itch.
youtube.com/watch?v=eWkgFdUcayY

Attached: self loading artillery that can move at 200 kmh.jpg (1431x767, 65K)

I miss Westwood.

Wasn't the justification in C&C that walkers won't track Tiberium all over as badly as treaded vehicles and they also have less surface area touching the stupidly corrosive shit?

Attached: fail.png (4564x1724, 64K)

>they can climb stairs or stair like terrain
but why not just use a helicopter then?

literally anything a mech would do, would be done better by either a tank or a helicopter

...come to think of it, a tank with arms would be more useful than a tank with legs

Attached: hmmm.jpg (360x495, 19K)

>Tank with arms
>"Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!"

Also, the number of tankers that would get into trouble for arm wrestling two tanks would be astronomical.

>clearly hasn't play TibSun

Attached: juggernaught.png (640x1307, 1.01M)

These motherfucker is gonna blow himself off his feet.

Wasn't there a variant with a bunker so infantry could load into it and shoot out?

a fellow DUST warfarefag? ALLIES STRONK!!
goddamn i want my weeb fantasies to be fulfilled before i die.

This

And they produce more concentrated point loads meaning they’re more likely to destroy/disturb/sink or get stuck in any surface they’re walking on.
t.engineer

This raises the question: why aren't artillery cannons mounted on aircraft? they by definition would have the high ground compared to regular artillery.

It's been done before. It's a massive fucking headache.

Because bombs are bigger, better and easier to carry

tactical banana peels, deployed by laser guided cluster munition

The major problem with a walker mech is that you are using some of the mass on legs and distributing that weight and armor across more areas and vulnerabilities. Tanks are basically a box with tracks and turret all the armor can be consolidated into less area making a denser structure. The legs would be vulnerable area that would require armor for protection that would not be distributed onto the main body. Armored legs means less armored body per ton. If a leg is taken out you have the first problem of loss of mobility either the leg locks up or collapses. This could lead to it being an unstable firing platform and definitely an immobile one. If a track on a tank is taken out it can remain a stable firing platform though immobile. At worst the leg is completely removed and the mech would more that likely fall over similarly making it immobile and unstable. The way i see it is it is a matter of consolidating armor per ton over a more compact area while limiting points of failure. Tanks do this better compared to a walking mech.

Yes, Steel Talons upgraded version.
That said only the Steel Talons used walkers anymore as the rest of GDI transitioned back to wheels & tracks as walking machines were expensive and maintenance nightmares.

They had that game mechanismnin Red Alert Yuri's Revenge.
Most buildings could house infantry . When building was destroyed infantry was spawned back into the game.

If you knew what you were doing it was easy to cut and paste in the game setup text files and create new units with different capabilities. Say use the Hover MLRS movement AI with a Mega Tank graphic and have hover Mega Tanks.
There were custom voxel models of current gen tanks such at the M1 and T80. Russian TEL voxels and cruise missile voxels. Could put a laser on the Nod Pyramid. Make the giant robot at the end of the single player game usable in custom maps. It was actually a sprite animation rather than a voxel unit.
I made a Juggernaut defense turret. The Juggernaut was a combination of voxel and sprite animation.
Wondering how it will run on my 8 core Xeon with a 4 ghz turbo for single thread applications and 64 GB ECC RAM..... 1050Ti graphics.

I honestly thought that was a radar dish.

However, because of the shear size of the guns and the high stance the Juggernaut takes when firing it's still running into problems. Namely, the center of mass is still too high. Yes, I get that the gun is usually pointed high up but that leaves the question of why you've made a tower to fire your guns?

Inner Sphere weaklings btfo

Anything that can cover territory currently only traversable by infantry will be a useful war machine. Just think of a machine not much bigger than a quad runner that can go anywhere light infantry can go, then becomes a firing platform for an HMG or other big support weapon.

Are you aware of the massive amount of space below deck that a ship's turret requires?

tfw the perfect form factor ,in between exoskeleton and mechs, as been thought off,what would be the drawback ? you could mont up a shield on one side that is big enough to allow cover(tank can too) they are small enough to enter building and use human sized infrastructure

Attached: Landmate_cross_section (1).jpg (1200x1011, 407K)

Battletech is the only mech setting to actually justify them.

Battletech mechs rely on a massively powerful, sinewy material that acts very much like muscle when enormous electrical currents are run through it. Conventional tracked and wheeled vehicles still exist, but since they can't make use of it, they cannot mount nearly as much armament or armor as a mech can while achieving comparable speeds due to being limited to familiar electrical or combustion engines.

It also has fucking AESTHETIC uniforms.

>Literally called the Waco Rangers

>tfw no m/k/v

Attached: 627602-mcv.jpg (640x312, 54K)

Well Hells Bells, it is Freeware now.

Can even get source code from Github.

cncnet.org/tiberian-sun

REMOVE ELSIE

One of the less autistic mech threads I've seen on Jow Forums
good job

Attached: walkers.jpg (640x635, 161K)

apa kablong

Mechs are idiotic and whatever intelligence the Japanese possessed for weapon design and ingenuity were nuked out of them along with their dignity and respect for their own history

Too much maths to get it hitting what you want it to hit. Bombs are simpler and require less moving parts.

mechs aren't a japanese invention
read a book, nigger.

Japs and weebs are the only idiots who push for mechs, jackass, especially on this site. They practically appropriated it into their culture

too retarded to respond to the right post? figures.

Not too retarded to fall for the mech meme though, ; )

They can trip over shit unlike a tracked vehicle. Also slower and the movement is much more complex.

Ever had a single hose go on your grader or skid steer? Things fucked cunt