German Army’s Panzerlehrbrigade 9 receives motorcycles

German Army’s Panzerlehrbrigade 9 receives motorcycles

Major General Ullrich Spannuth, commander of Panzerlehrbrigade 9 and during 2019 commander of the NATO Response Force’s (NRF’s) Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF) being led by the brigade, said, “The motorcycles increase the command capabilities of our force.” They will be used for dispatching if communications break down, carrying maps, orders, or memory sticks, according to the German Army. Maj Gen Spannuth added that it was easier and less visible for motorcycles to reconnoiter close to deployed units.

janes.com/article/87207/german-army-s-panzerlehrbrigade-9-receives-motorcycles

Should motorcycles be standard equipment in modern armies?

Attached: p1741569_main.jpg (752x423, 98K)

I really dont see the use for a motorcycle on the modern battlefield, youre a big target, theyre harder to ride than a quad, youre still guaranteed to die from a mine, they take long to dismount and retrieve your weapon on amd its harder to carry cargo and passengers.

What would be pretty dope tho is that auto balancing feature honda has a prototype of, if a motorcycle had basic self driving ability you could fire on the move like old school cavalry.

>Should motorcycles be standard equipment in modern armies?
Idk, but Motorrad sounds rad.

Attached: R-nineT-Scrambler-2016-038.jpg (1024x683, 93K)

>They will be used for dispatching if communications break down, carrying maps, orders, or memory sticks, according to the German Army. Maj Gen Spannuth added that it was easier and less visible for motorcycles to reconnoiter close to deployed units.

It's like some haven't learn anything from the Millenium Challenge.

i can imagine that you need to deliver a physical object that cant be emailed from A to B, and you arent in the line of enemy fire
then a motorcycle would be much more efficient and convenient than using a humvee to do so

Motorcycles are easier to ride than a quad. A dumbass on a quad will flip it in within a minute of driving it.
A motorcycle is useful to access footpaths and mountain passes that are inaccessible to larger vehicles.

They make it much easier to get kills with an NCO sword

>the Millennium Challenge, where the bicycle messengers moved at lightspeed and fishing boats carrying anti-ship missiles weighing four times their displacement teleported into launch range

Consider suicide.

For some reason I can only imagine some Eastern European trying this, might be a Hussar thing..

Attached: 1548042656920.png (1076x1062, 910K)

adorable

>heavy as fuck bmw touring bikes with complicated electrical systems
>not a trials bike with a kickstart and flashlight
>but muh bags
>thinking you cant easily mount bagger pouches on the sides

Attached: 3113164B-89CA-43B4-B97E-550105D559DA.jpg (604x400, 53K)

>post bike which isn't produced anymore

The 850 is the perfect bike for the role.

Of course.

One should always have something to fall back when all the fancy technolgy gets destroyed or blocked.

Attached: dmx.jpg (960x504, 91K)

There is a diesel-electric drivetrain bike that DARPA is testing out for our military. The idea is the engine can run on the many variants of diesel/jet fuel/etc found in combat theaters, and when sneaking up on enemies they can cut the diesel engine and go all-electric so they're silent. They're all dualsports bikes of course, it's a joint effort by a few companies. Would fucking love one desu.

Military motorcycles are the most aesthetic military ground vehicle. You're on a modern day iron horse, riding an explosion chamber with wheels. If the cavalrymen of yore could see it they'd cum immediately.

That sounds like it will be so expensive that they will cancel it.

Well, I hope they have decent luck with the fork seals on those F-850's. Those forks are fucking shit.

They are not, there is no clutch or balancing required on a quad. Offroad motorcycles also have a high center of gravity and high seats, so no manlets allowed. You drop one of those with a 100 pound cargo on it good luck picking it up.
I still think the quad provides more utility and ease of use over a motorcycle.
>dispatches can only be sent by motorcycle

>Quads
>useful

Look up hondas gyroscope self balancing motorcycle, you can basically hop of the bike and it will stay upright and even follow you around.
Diesel electric is also the best drive train.

The US has a bunch too. NTVs and ATVs too. They have their uses.

Damn, what kind of bikes are those? They look nice.

> ywn see a motorcycle cavalry charge

Attached: Screenshot_82.jpg (600x600, 33K)

>Motorcycles are easier to ride than a quad
not offroad, that's why the best offroad motorcycles have sidecars

Venezuela is using them in force
In a SHTF event, bikes would be the first targets to hit especially if two Government thugs are on it

Attached: 1552223435710.jpg (1280x958, 227K)

Yeah I found out about the military one because I was trying to find a diesel electric bike. It would be fucking amazing to have desu.

They very much are standard equipment in the Finnish army already so idk.

Are they not? Motorcycle couriers were used already in WWI. Of course, a four-wheeler is pretty much always the better choice if you don't specifically need the mobility a motorcycle offers.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

The USMC (and/or the Army) have a bunch of modified Kawasaki KLR bikes, with special Diesel engines by DT (Hayes Diversified Technology). They have proved to be very effective and popular.

Attached: 5a557cca16eed9844c241eb9fc49202f.jpg (1200x900, 146K)

They start with the track suit pretty young over there.

Still gotta feed it

quads
>Twice as likely to hit a mine
>wide
> still need two hand to operate
> still not heavy enough to mount a crew served weapon
Why?

Wut?
Bikes kick ass off road!

>Wut?
High center of gravity says hi!

Ever tried to go into a slight curve with a quad?

I don't need to google it to know adidas onsies are surely common over there.

T. Actual Retard

Don't you mean the exact opposite? Granted, the totally unsourced and unrealistic claims about lightspeed motorcycles puts a damper on things, but as the case may be, if someone is jamming all your communications, you're going to need messengers to transmit information and orders instead of yelling uselessly into a radio.

Fully loaded dual sports are still pretty easy to pick up, I've had a similar amount of gear on my DR650 and it's not that bad, Quads suck offroad if your trying to hustle since they roll easily and don't handle off camber slopes well. Even if you look at races like Dakar or the Baja 1000 the quad classes are consistently slower than motorcycles and the injuries are more serious since a 300lb bike falling on you is more survivable than a 600lb quad.

Quads are great if your trying to have inexperienced people putter around but bikes are better offroad if you are willing to put in a bit of practice.

Judging by your comments I would say you have ridden a bike, but very few times.

I ride bikes for years now, all classes I also have a few hundred km on a quad, bikes are easier to ride both on road and of road, but bikes cant of road as well as quads in extreme conditions.

A quad is more capable of road, but much harder to ride.

>that's why the best offroad motorcycles have sidecars

jesus christ

Should be absolutely verboten in a fuzzy battlefront/low intensity war. A loud soft easy to knock down off by itself human target, decapitation traps and hostages.

In a high intensity war with busted communications and mass death is more sense. Germany planning for the Russian invasion.

where's the sidecar w/ MG3?