The most popular handgun cartridge was created in 1901

>the most popular handgun cartridge was created in 1901

Answer me this, gun owners. Why are all the cartridges you use so fucking old? Why don't you make something newer and better?

Attached: 9_19_parabellum_FMJ.jpg (300x216, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shootingtimes.com/editorial/9mm-automatic-better-9mm-cartridge/99151
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It just werks

Because refining something with such massive institutional inertia is cheaper and works pretty well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

What is the cost of designing a new cartridge? How hard will it be to recoup that cost?
Is it a big enough improvement to get some law enforcement or military to adopt it? Do you have some pull that can make the difference if it is not good enough?

These are serious questions and the reason why the most popular cartridge in the world is from 1901 is found with those answers.

Go roll your own wildcat round gun hipster.

Because, if you design a new cartridge you need to design new guns for it.
And you need to have better performance
And you need to have a target market
And you need R&D
And you need R&D money
And you need to produce enough to sell, but not enough that you'll have it stockpiled with no customers
And you need to get the word out about it
And realistically if you're gonna make a new cartridge, you need military and/or police on board from at least one reputable country. Getting Angola on board won't work.

Because it punches neat little holes in my paper targets at 1200fps for $0.10 a shot just fine.

Attached: 20190315_170905-2016x1134.jpg (2016x1134, 446K)

They do all the time sperglord. For instance 357 sig is essentially just a better version of 9mm in every way, but it is difficult to get a saturated market to change once it is set in its ways

There are newer and better cartridges, but the real answer is that cartridges are inherently simple. Primer at one end. Bullet at the other. Tube of brass with a certain quantity of chemical fuel in it.

Add 1mm

There you go

Because it works fine. If someone wants to do something new, make a new loading first.

This too.

>what is fn 5.7
>what is 40 s&w
>what are other million recent cartridges

Uh... we're not in an arms race with either the animal kingdom or the human organism, and the solutions our ancestors work are cheap and plentiful and proven. That's why.

because you flups won't accept the best thing since instant noodles

Attached: slick.jpg (1500x988, 211K)

Old will still kill you deader than hell, faggot.

you're right, .40S&W is the superior round.

shootingtimes.com/editorial/9mm-automatic-better-9mm-cartridge/99151

Ignore tripfags.

We have a better alternative but nobody knows it yet

Attached: 1542130986556.png (1023x1024, 1.17M)

Because we have reached peak performance with modern 9mm ammo. 14-18in with perfect expansion consistently(hst for example). For human targets in self defense you couldn't need anything more than that in a pistol that holds 18rds

Eventually that will be .380 and we can all switch to using blockback pocket pistols.

>the most popular style of knife was created in 650 AD

Answer me this, knife owners. Why are all the knives you use so fucking old? Why don't you make something newer and better?

Attached: Roman_pocket_knife_Roman_Gellep_Germany.jpg (330x334, 21K)

Because availability and price

The actual projectile has changed since 1901. Modern hollow points are certainly superior to whatever they were using back then.

It seems a bit more streamlined for the AR platform.
>This new round is kinda neat
>10 minutes of CNC lathe and you have a barrel to the body of it. Resell for %50 markup.
>Choose the bolt that fits the ass of it.
>Sell with a mediocre upper for an %80 markup.
>See if people bite.
Meme AR calibers shall flow from here to the end of time.

Why do you use electricity, do you know how old that shit is?

5.7x28 nigga.

Attached: IMG_0348.jpg (4032x3024, 2.9M)

>>what is fn 5.7
glorified .22 LR
>>what is 40 s&w
shittier 10mm

How can you love 10mm, but then say fuck 10mm?

It's also a pain to load over 9mm for marginal benifits.

Wheel invented 2000 or whatever BC.
You fucking faggots are still using this shit?

Because not at 10mm cartridges are created equal

Can you tell me what's on your table? Like, the important bits needed for every thing from fired brass to new rounds.

>cheap
>works in self defense
>most guns on the market chamberd in said round
>fits everything from rifles to sub compacts
>easy for men to use right out the gate and women can train to use it properly with enough time and experience with recoil managment/expectancy

>why use it

Attached: 1549486323248.png (350x350, 138K)

What I have is:
>Wet tumbler for cleaning cases
>Calipers for measuring cases and overall length
>Various deburring and case trimming tools (Not used very often with 9mm)
>Scale for weighing powder
>Powder hopper for dispensing powder
>Single stage press
>Resizing and depriming die
>Expansion die
>Seating and crimping die
>Primer arm thing and tube for storing, and placing primers into new cases (Forgot what it's called)
>Tray for holding cases steady while I pour powder into each one
>Gauge block for quickly checking casing if I feel like it
>Some small bowls for holding casings at different stages.
>Casings to be reloaded
>Bullets of your choosing
>Sharpies for marking different loads if I'm testing out a batch of various parameters
Think that about covers it.

The process:
First I take my spent brass and push them through a resize die that also punches out the primers.
Once I have a few hundred deprimed cases I place them into my wet tumbler for an hour or two to clean them. If I have especially soiled brass I will do this first then resize and deprime, but that's fairly rare for me.
Once the brass has been dried out in the oven I use an expanding die to open the mouth up, and on the downswing press a new primer in.
50 at a time I then add 5 grains of powder to each case, and place a bullet on top.
They then go through a die that seats the bullet, and crimps the case. All done they're ready to be shot again!
Most of the headache is in setting everything up, but once it's all dialed in it's pretty simple and relatively fast. Even on a single stage press. Once you get into turret presses or progressive presses you can really churn rounds out.

Oh forgot the most important thing damnit.
Reloading manuals and a notebook, the more the better. I primarily use Hornady's manual since I use their bullets however I still use my lyman one to cross reference. The notebook is to write down what powder load you used, with what primers and bullet. Then if you have it you can use a chronometer to check your velocities to see if you're getting the results you wanted.

How about the table itself? I see its a plastic folding table, but you added at least one wood block to the top for the press, is there one underneath aswell?
Any other wood or added material for rigidity?

Oh yea it's a POS folding table. I need to grab the wooden desk out at my Mothers farm, but have been lazy about it. The whole table flexes with the press so the wood is to alleviate it a bit. It's held on with four bolts.
Nothing under the table, although I probably should. Kinda planned to just replace the table before it becomes a problem.