Question for Gunsmiths

What is the earliest point in history that an ak-47 OR AR-pattern rifle could be produced in?

Keep in mind it doesn't matter if a few malfunction, since it's just replaceable peasants.

Attached: 1552689359689.png (344x273, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LopUNq6lF2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i'm certain swiss clock makers could produce the internals as far back as the renaissance starting.

as a one off hand crafted example, early 1800s. any type of volume production with any semblance or interchangeable parts 1930s.

wouldn't work worth a damn without smokeless powder though, so it'd be a paper weight until the late 19th century

And the modern milling and mass manufacture was developed and created for it in 1949. The tools and technical know how needed was at that point. It couldn't have been produced earlier without the innovation of tooling acquired from the war.

how many mags could it go through before jamming if using black powder?

The exact moment spring technology reached a competent level.

When was that? Fuck you, that's when.

Early 20th Century for both. Except the AK would be an actual fighting rifle and the AR would be a fancy hunting rifle.
I highly doubt the BP pressures would even allow the firearm to properly function.

lewis and clark had an air rifle and clocks existed but you think springs were the bottleneck in this case?

Yes.

People have gotten Glocks to function with black powder loads. Would a direct blowback big bore firearm like a .45 ACP Hi-Point carbine work if made from period-available materials?

I think pump action shotguns/rifle could have been produced at least 150 years earlier.
that's what i always picture when i think of taking equipment back to the confederates.

youtube.com/watch?v=LopUNq6lF2U less than a mag

why did it fail to fire? not enough gas to cycle?

would looser tolerance correct for that?

Considering the steels available in the Renaissance are stronger than the zinc-alloy used in the Hi Point, yes.

I know nothing about black powder. Is all of it the same? Was the powder used by the ottomans to bring down the walls of Constantine interchangeable with powder used in flintlocks?

description of the vid says fouling seized up the gas piston

actually i was wrong guy made a comment later saying this"It wasn't the powder fouling that jammed it. After closer inspection it was lead shavings that made their way up the gas port that jammed the piston"

The last two decades of 1800's unless we assume that he also invents the brass cased ammo and smokeless powder from scratch for his gun.
The mechanism itself is simple enough that any engineer who rolls around an idea of a repeating rifle that loads itself could come up with it.

what would they nickname an ak-47 in the 1800s?

A Boar Buster?

I would guess interwar period to WW2 period, if using the materials and techniques they were made of. Precipitation hardening for aluminum wasn't discovered until the turn of the century, forging aluminum didn't really happen until the war, and stamping was refined during that period, too.

The designs didn't show up much later from when they would have become feasible to make, IMO. They very much used the manufacturing techniques of the time.

Attached: pof-renegade-plus-5-56-rifle-16-5-m-lok-00856-by-patriot-ordnance-factory-79f.jpg (640x427, 53K)

what about if one made do with more primitive materials? it doesnt have to to to spec but based on AK principles. barrel doesnt even need rifling.

And I'm certain they didn't have the necessary materials for either gun.

it doesnt have to to to spec but based on AK principles. the barrel doesnt even need rifling.

"Boar Buster" doesn't sound awesome enough for what would essentially be the best small arm in existance.

Metallurgy seems to be the limit to me, rifling and all the rest of the shit was around earlier, so I'd guess turn of the century or so.

So wouldn't simply copperjacketing the bullets fix that?

Yes.

Mid 1800s to mass produce the AK. Wouldn’t even have been that difficult a task for them, the technology is all there for at least killed receiver AKs.