How to stop anticipating recoil?

How to stop anticipating recoil?

Also general actual shooting thread, because I feel like many of you need to do that more

Attached: Screenshot_20190316-183212_1.jpg (1080x1222, 181K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xLLLt5VGYmM
youtube.com/watch?v=QRvO_1B5dfc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Practice with snapcaps.
Also good to get rid of the flinch.

According to my local range officer, whom I asked about this same thing: tighten up everything but your trigger finger. Also, if you have snap caps, insert those randomly into your mag so you catch yourself anticipating it, then rack the slide and remove them (keeping your weapon pointed downrange, of course).

Learn to squeeze the trigger, not pull the trigger. Start off very slowly. You want to be surprised when it goes off. If the trigger break is surprising you it makes it harder to anticipate or flinch. Once you see improvement then you can start working on making your squeeze faster/smoother.

Don't tell me I need to shoot more, when you're the one flinching like a little bitch.

Shoot revolvers with one empty chamber.

This is my third time shooting a gun, very new to the hobby. You seem a little defensive.

goddamn. my 13 yo girlfriend shot much better than that. mean, she was my gf when i was around the same age. she's in her 20s now, of course, but not when we dated

I've been shooting about once every couple of weeks for about 9 months. Be patient, it takes time to git gud. And don't be afraid to ask for advice. Your range officer will do it for free.

At what distance and what caliber? This is 25 yards with 45 acp

Hand positioning is really important, getting that web of the hand as high as possible without slide bite and making that a consistent practice. Don't pull the pad of your finger off the trigger each shot, practice instead dry firing, walking the trigger forward slowly until you feel the reset (which should have some feedback), and pulling back from there. If you do these things your groups will become smaller.

How do I tighten up my groups with a rifle?
I'm new to shooting rifles and I can keep my shots in the same general area at 25yd with iron sights, but my groups aren't tight enough for my liking.
It feels like I'm focusing on the same sight picture, and I know my hand isn't that steady, but I seem to shoot roughly the same whether I'm shooting entirely off-hand or with elbows on the table.

Are you zeroing your rifle from the bench rest?

I used a bore sight, then confirmed it from a rest.
I won't rule out it not being zeroed right, but I didn't think that would affect the tightness of my groupings.

Snap caps, load them into a mag between live bullets. Also a word on form
>firmly grip gun tighten your wrists.
>square your stance
>feet shoulder whith apart
>slightly bend knees
>put your weight on the balls of your feet
>squeeze the trigger with the pad of your finger.
Hope this helps, goodluck user and congrats on picking up one of the best hobbies around

That is not 45ACP

Introduced the girl to firearms the other day. Rented a 10/22. Got her set up and I put three rounds in real quick to show her the motions, as shown by the green circle. The rest is all her.

As some one who has never trained any one else on firearms, how much work is it to turn a noguns into some one who is competent?

Attached: 20190315_190208.jpg (1960x4032, 3.79M)

Learn to shoot you fucking greasy italian.

Not sure what proof I can give you, also not sure why you would doubt that. Here's a casing I picked up today, 22lr next to it for reference

The biggest problem is usually teaching them how to properly use open sights, since it's not really intuitive.

What distance were you shooting?
To turn a noguns into someone competent first take them to buy a gun, then go shooting a lot. A 22lr is great for pistol and rifle since its cheap, won't hurt a nooby and is satisfying to shoot.

Fuck forgot pic

Attached: Screenshot_20190316-195045.jpg (1920x1080, 306K)

Are you focusing on your front sight? Your shots are kind of all over the target, not really low and left as would suggest a flinch.

>You want to be surprised when it goes off.
No you don't you stupid fuck.

10 yd. Not joking.

I was a bit disappointed with my 3-shot group not being closer to center, but I also did not adjust the sights. It was simply "dont miss the paper" since she has never fired before. As much as she is all over the place, all her shots were in the silhouette.

My biggest thing is trigger placement. How am I supposed to get a sense of where is the correct position?

I've seen a lot worse desu. Admittedly never seen someone shoot so close with a rifle. She's not that bad. Did she enjoy it is the real question.

>trigger placement
???

Anyway I sometimes practice be squeezing the trigger extremely slowly while keeping the sights on. The "surprise" thing is kind of stupid but has a kernel of truth. You want to avoid anticipating the shot while commanding your muscles to do it. This takes intense focus on maintaining your sight picture and control of pressure on the trigger. Just keep shooting, going faster and faster as you get used to it. A huge part of learning not to flinch is just practice, putting a lot of rounds downrage until you barely notice recoil anymore.

Yeah it's not really that bad. I took my friend to the range, shooting my P226 and he could barely get on paper, even like 5 yds away, it was kind of ridiculous. Tried my best to help but he kept flinching down hard at the last second. .40 probably isn't a great beginner caliber though (got it so I could switch the barrel to 9 and have both calibers in one guy ). OTOH I shoot a less than palm sized group with that pistol at 15 yds.

I meant finger placement.

This was my third range day at 7 yds with my Glock. I got a lot better once I let my right hand feel the recoil instead of tensing up. I just focus on wanting to feel it in my hand/wrist and that helps me stay on target. Assuming you have the proper stance/fundamentals.

Attached: IMG_20190314_203601401.jpg (3024x4032, 2.72M)

Here's what worked for me.
Insert mag
Rack slide
Drop mag
Fire round
Dry fire
If you flinch on the dry fire, rack and dry fire again. Repeat til you get a clean trigger pull. Insert mag and repeat.

Dry fire (or use snap caps in a rimfire) until you can do it without losing your sight picture. Have a friend place a coin on your barrel before each shot. Practice until it doesn't fall off.

This sounds like a great exercise for sure.

Yeah, you do.

t. Taught to shoot by Green Beret in JROTC and then in USMC

No
Military doesnt mean good.

stop being a bitch

Good enough to hit over 50% on a man sized target at 500 with irons.

Attached: main-qimg-fe9f347adf67451db62a7cf80a4d5c3f-c.jpg (602x379, 41K)

like anything else
practice

Buy a .22

Table one absolutely, but table two was faster more deliberate squeezes. Table two also felt like a controlled ammo dump where accuracy wasn't a big deal

Nice immediate damage control, faggot

Looks to be more of an issue with improper trigger control and sight focus rather than anticipation. Practice dryfiring a lot. Grip the gun high and tight, watch Vogel and Leatham’s grip and trigger control tutorials on jewtube.

Yes. She actually had a blast.

I have a few ideas on what to hit next. I'll give the quarter on the barrel a try to work on trigger pull and breathing. If sje's willing to give me the time, I'm more than happy to work at it with her.

Dry fire, building familiarity with gun, shooting a lighter cartridge/heavier gun, or shooting matches that don't require bullseye accuracy (e.g. IDPA, IPSC, USPSA) seemed to help me with accuracy.

You need to be able to isolate the muscles in your hand. Separate the fingers gripping from the finger pulling the trigger. If your grip is shifting/tightening when you break the shot, that's going to affect accuracy more than yanking the trigger. If you can do that, you can hammer the trigger without affecting accuracy.
Watch this:
youtube.com/watch?v=xLLLt5VGYmM

It's also a comfort level thing. It's like driving stick; you drive manual better the more times you do it, as long as you're deliberate and observant about what's happening. If you're not, you're just making expensive noises.

Also, don't shoot to the point of fatigue. Take breaks, shake it off. Your results will deteriorate the more tired you get and you'll just get frustrated with the outcome.

Attached: .45 AARP.jpg (2880x2160, 2.8M)

Put a penny or some coin on the top of your gun and dry fire it with the coin on top so it doesn't move at all. That's what I do and it works for me.

This and plenty of other advise in the thread is good, but I want to pitch in something else that I've noticed.

If you shoot something with more recoil for a while, it makes what you normally shoot feel like absolutely nothing. I don't know if this would help with a flinch, and it could even hurt, I suppose, but it's really a marked effect. I mostly shoot a 92FS (very light recoil) and after shooting a J-frame with hot .38 for a while it really feels like there's barely any recoil at all. Or after 2-3 rounds of skeet with an aluminum frame O/U, go try shooting an AR15 or even an AR10. It makes an AR15 feel like it legitimately does not recoil at all.

I almost feel like you could get out of the habit of anticipating by shooting something moderately sharp and then going back to your normal gun and just pulling the trigger and letting it go where it may. Get to where you're totally comfortable with what it does and don't make any effort to control it until you feel comfortable and at one with it.

Attached: 1529784177588.jpg (900x675, 598K)

just squeeze the trigger, if you can't predict when the recoil comes you can't anticipate it

Attached: pretty alright group.jpg (1836x3264, 1.09M)

i liked it better when you stupid trashy millennials and younger generations didnt know shit about guns and couldnt legally own them. now you faggots are spreading this shit around and everyone from your drugged up bi-polar generations are going to cause pandemonium on society every time some girl rejects you or you get entitlement-butthurt about being fired from your job

id like to unironically see web censorship on weapon related information, the world was a better place when you faggots were feeding your pokemon cards and real people were in charge of the destiny of mankind

Attached: 1552067521356.png (750x494, 714K)

Fuck off and die, my dear psycho grabber

damn. you really dont like taking down your targets, eh?

i'm not too experienced of a shooter but that group is pretty good

i am no expert, but i have been shooting for 20 years. id say take it slow and know in your mind that the recoil will never hurt you. accuracy first, speed will come in time. get some grip strengtheners if you have girly forearms and dont want to lift

Where can I find targets like that?

Attached: 1492131571410.jpg (960x960, 198K)

This was my first range day with a handgun. The bullseyes are at 7yards then I did the rest at 15 yards.

I intentionally shot at the arms and shoulders too, just to measure my groups.

Attached: tmp_16708-20190304_1119475038486326314832581.jpg (2160x2160, 1.41M)

Use as much trigger finger as you comfortably can. I shoot with my index finger just past the first joint. More leverage, straighter press. You’ll know when you go too far when it becomes uncomfortable. Don’t listen to people that tell you too much trigger finger pushes your shots right. Too little will definitely push your shots left if you’re right handed.

Old pic before the shoulder shots lol

Attached: 2019-03-16 17.54.21.jpg (4032x3024, 3.12M)

Just shoot more honestly. Also dry fire and put dummy rounds randomly in the mag. Just get used to pulling the trigger. Also shoot slower take your time what youre doing isnt exactly natural

OP my advice to you is to just get more rounds under your belt and get rid of your gun shyness.

Find a place where you can just unload so you can get more used to the recoil.

Another exercise that helps me is breathe 3 times faster then normal then as you draw your gun up to your dominant eye exhale slowly but not all of your breath. Empty your mind literally go brain dead focus on that straight trigger pull.

but again. get more rounds under your belt and get rid of that gun shyness to a point where you can just aim and shoot without anticipation and anxiety of the recoil and noise.

I used to have groups like yours but practicing these things has helped me to get groups off hand at 17 yards with my non dominant eye because I am cross eye dominant.

Attached: 2018-06-19-01-19-44.jpg (2448x3264, 1.84M)

That’s a good drill. Also I use a mantis x occasionally when I’m live firing just to make sure I’m not picking up any bad habits. If I can get all my shots in 80s on average I’m happy when that. Nobody can shoot a pistol perfectly every single time. Especially when you start speeding things up. Someone who is a great shot slow fire at 25-50 yards is definitely going to be more lethal in a self defense encounter than the guy who only mag dumps at 3 yards because that’s “typical self defense range” but can’t hit the paper at 25.

My 12 y/o loli gf can't handle anything larger than a .22. I'm 30 btw.

Get a Laser Ammo chamber insert, unless you’re using a .22. It projects a laser dot for a moment after you pull the trigger. If you really get into it, get a laser target too to register hits.

It’s not free, but you can dry fire your own gun with some actual feedback on your performance instead of just hoping you’re doing it right.

A gun isn't a bow and arrow. It shoots where you aim it. Just like a video-game. Aim at your target and fire. There's no excuse for any of your bullets to miss the bullseye.

200yds with an RDB-C and a trs-25 I was getting 7" ish groups off of a bench. Am I going to get much better than that or do I need a more precise optic?

Reusing them as much as possible is good for the environment.

no point in wasting any more money than is necessary on an already expensive hobby i guess

Attached: f59.png (248x257, 79K)

Here's a little interesting trick I started doing that helps alleviate a lot of flaws in handgun shooting.

Do your high thumb grip, and extend out, but also twist your elbows up. It really clamps your hands down around the grip for better recoil control, allows you to squeeze in with your pecs more, and changes the angle of your wrists as to make it harder to pull down. This means flinch is naturally reduced. This is kinda a cheat method so make sure you're actually practicing out all of your flaws instead of only relying on this.

Not sure fren, I got them at the range in the pic, came with the lane rental.

Shit man, I too am cross dominant and it makes me feel like the retard of the group. You can't really get rid of it, can you?

What I do is to breath slowly, and squeeze the trigger as slowly as possible. Very very slow trigger pull. Then after you fire slowly release the trigger until you get to the reset point. Then very slowly squeeze the trigger again.

Also you could ask someone to randomly load up your magazines with a snap cap inserted and when you hit the snap cap you will see if you are anticipating the recoil.

Attached: 160922212546-01-charlotte-third-night-0922-super-169.jpg (1100x619, 192K)

Grats on first time shooting friendo! Welcome to Jow Forums you are a real man today. I am proud.

How do I stop being a faggot and get out to the range? I’ve got this anxiety about feeling like I wouldn’t belong. That and all I have is an Astra 600 with 2 mags.

If that's the case get a surplus pack of paper plates and use a sharpie to put a small bullseye in the middle. You can get smaller paper plates to use for torture drills and line a couple up on the A zone for the head as well. Cheap, and effective.

Not him but I've had issues with it my entire life with pistols. What I've found really works the best is bringing the pistol ALL the way over and up to your dominant eye when you're shooting. For the longest time I was just slightly tilting my head, and I guess I wasn't seeing my sight picture on the target correctly because I would group slightly low and left every single time. I realized after shooting with my non dominant eye that it wasn't my mechanics but rather my eyes not seeing the correct point of aim. I got a Mantis X and an RMR to confirm this now I shoot POA POI every time.

Really, an RMR is your best bet if you're cross eye dominant. Your eyes can't fool a single dot.

Yes you do

I've got long guns, but there is something about handguns, it's a completely different feeling.
I had the same feeling, but you get over it after a few trips. Just have to put your autism aside for an hour or two

Attached: tmp_16708-20190208_2222427641577946353248957.jpg (4032x3024, 3.93M)

There are so many people there that are worse than you and bigger idiots. Just be safe and nobody will give a shit. Honestly most people at my range can't shoot a better group than OP.

Wow are you me? That's exactly the problem I was running into the other day. Low and to the left consistently. My groupings were good but I couldn't land where I wanted to reliably. Tried a Glock with an RMR and it completely changed. I was on the fence as to the culprit before but I'm definitely getting an RMR now, thanks user.

This is the worst advice I've ever heard

Try bringing your gun over like you're shooting left handed as well. It worked for me. I spent 5 years of my life trying to figure out why I couldn't shoot for shit and I fixed it in one range session.

It wouldn't. You'd just have a group in the wrong spot.

>.22 won't hurt anyone
This is just the worst fucking thread

if you want to shoot for precision squeezing is the only way to go idk wtf you're talking about

he's talking about the recoil you dumbass, learn to read

Definitely, I'll be trying that tonight. I respect your five year sacrifice for this information, bro.

Attached: 1548542641305.png (640x480, 132K)

Hopefully it works. If not, maybe I'm just placebopilled.

God bless all of you. I didn't even know I was cross eye dominant before now.

how can one person be so retarded

Attached: i just dont know.gif (245x180, 1.52M)

Just get a red dot sight

Attached: 20190314_120648.jpg (3264x2448, 2.16M)

Dry fire. A lot.

Super secret pro tip:

Learn how many pounds your trigger pull is. When you’re shooting (and aimed in a safe direction, etc.,) isolate your trigger finger and start taking up the trigger and applying pressure at what you believe is one pound. Then increase to two pounds. Change it up, decreasing and increasing as you see fit. When ready for the shot to break, ease into what you feel is your trigger weight. Usually it will go off long before you were ready.

Apply this as a drill to learn your trigger. Before long, you will know exactly how your trigger works and breaks and then, in your head, speed up your press by applying what you believe to be a pound at a time. You will be able to do this quickly once you’re comfortable and eventually it will be a lightning fast, subconsious part of your technique in which your trigger finger is completely isolated.

>Jow Forums - Weapons
No but I have trained with right eye so I got used to it. I highly recommend getting proper glasses. That will help but im too lazy to get glasses so I just train.

wow. thanks for the tip. i was original poster of that one with the grouping.

I would just find the point of aim of my non dominant eye and them compensate for the different sight acquisition..

Does the fact that I need prescription glasses hamper that in any way?

I introduced some foreign students to firearms a month ago. I figured for their first time just make it fun, who cares about if they miss most of the target, but once in a while can hear the impact on a steel target.

If they do become interested, they'll want to shoot more and invest in the hobby. If not, at least they had a good first experience just having a good time.

You can thank Jerry Miculek, not me. There was a more comprehensive video that I can't find but this gives you the basic gestalt.

youtube.com/watch?v=QRvO_1B5dfc

I wouldn't try to change your dominant eye. I have prescription glasses and my non dominant eye is still worse than my dominant. I wouldn't try to learn to shoot left handed unless you're absolutely invested in it and have the time to relearn everything you've trained for right handed. It would be the equivalent of a right handed guitar player going lefty. Pick up a pencil and try to write left handed. It isn't as easy as it seems. Your dominant eye is the same way. You're going to have to fight your own instinct to use your non dominant eye.

you can provide no proof. 45acp tears the paper.

22lr goes through it as seen in the picture.

Shoot your pistol a lot. Wear double ear pro when u do. I had a really bad flinch and this is what I did.
>dry fired constantly
getting my muscle memory used to firing without a flinch
>go shooting more often
I go every other week and shoot 200-300rds. I think I’m near 2k rds now with my pistol
>wear double ear pro
Helps with flinch, reduced noise makes it seem less violent and helps build comfort
>slow down and stay consistent
I find that if I “rush” I get sloppy when I take a breath and focus I shoot better
>focus on front sight
Consistent sight picture helps with accuracy
>shoot with both eyes open
I’m actually a better shot this way

Pic is one of my recent range trips, when I first got my G19x I could barely hit paper at 5yds lol. This was done at 7yds fired as fast as possible

Attached: FD1EBF04-906D-410F-A543-B05C5FCB729F.jpg (2720x4030, 2.17M)

I shot a log.

Attached: rugerak.webm (740x416, 1.04M)

Lawdy

Attached: bunnicula_keyart.jpg (270x405, 49K)