How hard would it be to make your own cannon?

How hard would it be to make your own cannon?
out of cast iron of course

Attached: col-2407.jpg (700x359, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NNMF6BDL8nk
hernironworks.com/
powerlabs.org/cannons.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=2PONbhCiZec
youtube.com/watch?v=DPfZhxMwrfA&t=9s
youtu.be/FC03tJIuhYU
youtube.com/watch?v=XZKt4vApSjM
youtube.com/watch?v=_7dlgh6of_0&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=roVBwOD2Adc&t=6s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_gun
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_Mortar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_cannon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reasonably hard.

>cast iron
You'd need a smelter and a cast, for starters. Pony up with the shekels. And that's assuming you know anything about metallurgy.

youtube.com/watch?v=NNMF6BDL8nk

You could just buy one.
hernironworks.com/

Well, you need skills and equipment to cast iron.

not hard at all. you could probably make it out of concrete if you had like an 8 bag mix with fibermesh. shit would slump like elephant shit. you could pour it around a thin steel tube

shit, the chinese developed wood cannon that were wire-wrapped. the britbongs toyed with wire wrapped cannon too

since its a smooth-bore casting, it shouldnt be very hard if you know how to do a pour without getting any inclusions/voids in it. a simple sand cast/lost wax would work easily enough.

most cannon arent iron, but bronze, anyway.

>Wire wrapping
A lot of old firearms used "damascus" barrels, which were basically just wires wrapped tightly around a mandrel and then welded together.

powerlabs.org/cannons.htm
This dude used a hydraulic cylinder off a dump truck... sent D cell batteries at about 2,300 fps

Attached: cutting.jpg (574x392, 65K)

Why not do a steel pipe instead? You can carry it around. Simple to put rifle grooves if you wanted too as well. Cheap as well. Could make a lot.

Depends on the size. You can buy cast iron round stock or pipe.

depends on what level of performance you want from it. a potato cannon is easy, a 12 incher is a bit harder

>hernironworks.com/
Noice, 5k for a 12 lb Nappy. Are there any good ready-to-accept carriages out there?

is there any reason besides fun to own a cannon?
since we can own cannons why dont more of us own them?

I mean lobbing steel balls into buildings wont do anything if SHTF.
but how were older cannons and artillery so effective? they were used on cities and formations and emplacements.
why cant we have cannons that can do that? were there explosive cannonballs back then that we cant recreate now?
I know artillery was the biggest thing in warfare for a good section of modern western war. and that was all cannons.
what could they do today? with what we have I mean.

Dude, look up "grapeshot" and tell me that isn't fucking horrifying.

>a 12 incher is a bit harder
My 12 inches is a lot harder if ya know what I mean

its as if you dont think field artillery has any sort of use.
what are you, simple? the best way to kill a tank isnt another tank, its artillery

yeah. it was mainly replaced by cylinder shot.
I just read up on civil war era artillery.
its was timed explosives in shells. everything else is for massed troops and formations.

I guess it would be good to have if you wanted to send grapeshot or cannonballs at a bunker or position still.
you couldnt really shell a city with them.
>daydreaming about dozens of privately owned civil war era cannons being lined up outside NYC and DC being used to rain down destruction on (((elites))) during the 2nd american revolution

I had a dream once. whatever Im sure we can find some arty inside some armory somewhere.

I understand but I mean with what civilians can own legally right now.
you can own all sorts of cannons. you can get great powder and charges for it.
but your limited by ammo. we dont have access to the same ammo beyond cannon balls.
they would be strictly defensive niche weapons.

ambushes and strong point assault you don't say?

not same guy

In a different thread where the discussion was how to beat police armored personnel carriers, a cannon would do nicely.

Being able to punch a hole through a wall from a distance would give you a powerful advantage when trying to enter a fortified area, too. That's what early siege weapons like catapults and trebuchets were for.

Black powder can be easy to make at home and a lot of. Steel pipes with caps that can be screwed on an off will make cleaning easy. You can shoot whatever you need to out of it. If 50cal will do it, I wonder what else will?

youtube.com/watch?v=2PONbhCiZec

A set of really large interrupted threads and then a nice thick rod to prevent rotating out of position, maybe?

If your to the point where your needing a cannon for armed conflict, then creating your own explosive shot wouldn't be that difficult. We are mostly limited by legal reasons for most types of ammo, especially with regards to Destructive Device tags.

Potato gun mortars would probably be a simpler alternative though or something like the R.IRA PRIG launcher.

It's a black powder boomstick. It should be fine.

Interrupted threads would be much faster. Pull out pin, rotate 90 degrees, slide entire breech block off.

You are right. But also, it would be more complicated, If it is muzzleloading, which is what I am talking about, there is no need to get it off quickly, and I can just buy a normal cap from the same place I can purchase the steel pipe.

Where to get led, and mold it is a real issue. We will need plenty.

Lead isn't that hard to get.
Making a mold isn't, either. Two plates with a nice flat, smooth finish. Clamp them together and then machine a pullet geometry through the seam.

>pullet
Bullet...

>make your own cannon?
>out of cast iron

Too much money to melt scrap iron and cast it. Just make a HiPoint cannon out of Zamak.

Hi Point uses steel barrels, retard.

>Hi Point uses steel barrels, retard.
Hurr, you fucking dumb cunt. Your 3 candle power brain has served you well.

Hopefully these help

youtube.com/watch?v=DPfZhxMwrfA&t=9s

youtu.be/FC03tJIuhYU

youtube.com/watch?v=XZKt4vApSjM
youtube.com/watch?v=_7dlgh6of_0&t=1s

youtube.com/watch?v=roVBwOD2Adc&t=6s

Attached: Field Gun.jpg (3264x2448, 1.93M)

If you pack it right, you can fire pretty much anything out of a cannon, it doesn't have to strictly be cannonball shaped.
So why not a short length of thick pipe, full of poured and hardened concrete? Or a dumbbell? Or a bunch of 1lb dumbbells? or an entire bucket of fishing weights?
What I'm saying is, that if you can't think of solid shot ideas, you're probably not thinking enough.

>cast iron
relative cost if sourced correctly $0
>high quality sand
probably ~$1000
>a hole and framework
if sourced correctly $0
>a smelter large enough to melt all that metal
~$2000-$5000
>a way to trans port it
if sourced correctly $0
>tools to clean up
~$200

total at home cost
~$5000
so yeah not easy via traditional method

there is another method using a lot of welding and some other metals like copper and aluminum but it only works for smaller guns and you would need to do constant repairs. you basically take rebar weld it into a general shape as much as you can then fill the void with the strongest metal you can get a hold of. think of it as reinforcement.

>does it fit in?
>if yes, it will fire

Tree cannons we're proven real right?

GLOWING NIGGORS

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_gun
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_Mortar
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_cannon

Actually used quite a bit through history. Was a quick way to to create a cannon even knowing it wouldn't last long.