Given the right tools and gunsmithing know-how, how hard would it be to concert a boltyboi into a semi-auto...

Given the right tools and gunsmithing know-how, how hard would it be to concert a boltyboi into a semi-auto? Asking for a friend of a second cousin of my wife's son.

Attached: Remington-700-NA-Custom.jpg (770x450, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U682yOpNafg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=74aY7G_8KKg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It would be extremely difficult.

>how hard would it be to concert a boltyboi into a semi-auto?
I dunno; are you smarter than a bogan?

Attached: Charlton-Rifle-right-side.jpg (3268x982, 849K)

A lot of bolt-actions conversions were attempted during or right after the great wars and it typically isn't worth the effort.

Attached: huot1.jpg (2800x1061, 118K)

FWIW, Browning's first autoloader was made from one of his lever-actions.

Attached: Browning Automatic Magazine Gun.png (2320x3408, 85K)

There was an early semiauto prototype gun on Forgotten Weapons that was just that. A bolt gun with a gas system installed that used an op-rod and cam to work the bolt when the gun was fired, same as if you were working it by hand. Forget the name of the gun.

The M14 or M1 garand would be a couple good places to start. Basically just a bolt action rifle, connected to a rod and gas piston.

For you

Howell model 1915?

Yep, that's it

youtube.com/watch?v=U682yOpNafg

You're a big bolt.
Next you'll tell us any action with a rotating bolt is technically a bolt-action. That's some sovereign-citizen tier mental gymnastics.

The Pedersen Device. Pull the bolt out of your 1903 Springfield, slip in the Pedersen bolt, slap a magazine into the side of the bolt and you have a semi auto pistol caliber rifle.

Attached: JKS123-Z-CU36-LPedersen_resize.jpg (1600x1270, 504K)

an Australian poster!

Easier with a straightpull, harder than designing a semiauto from scratch. Just reuse the barrel and design everything else.

To be fair any straight pull rotating bolt (ie Ross) just needs a gas pistol and a recoil spring to be semiautomatic

Op here.
Is a piston really necessary? Couldn't you just drill a hole and insert a gas tube leading to the bolt, and have direct impingement?

the bolt has to rotate

Do it and report back

Damm near impossible, and you may as well just build a whole new gun. Totally different design and there isn't an easy way to convert that I can think of. Militaries have tried and mostly failed, you likely will too.

Every attempt to do this has resulted in devices or modifications that make operation clunky and unreliable. The easiest way to convert a bolt gun to semiautomatic is to remove the barrel and mill by our own reciever, or just buy an ar15 to start with.

Or you could try to make something like this, but it would be a royal pain in the ass.

I mean, it depends on what you consider a "conversion" because such things did exist, but had some much shit added to them that they pretty much became entirely new guns and people realized "damn, at this point it'd make more sense to just make a dedicated semi-automatic"

It's possible, but there would need to be a connection with a caming piece. As long as there is some backwards force, you can still create an apparatus to turn the bolt.

Which would make sense, because gas impingement would seem a lot easier to put together

I hope this helps out
m.youtube.com/watch?v=74aY7G_8KKg

Sorry. I meant that more as a metaphor, to help OP with his question.

If you have to ask, it's too hard for you.