Why do modern rifles designed for precision shooting, particularly in the military context, look so tacticool...

Why do modern rifles designed for precision shooting, particularly in the military context, look so tacticool? For that matter, why has this design language aesthetic become so prominent in the last decade?

Attached: Ballista_Rotators_1-1800x675.png (1800x675, 482K)

Other urls found in this thread:

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modular
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wish I knew. It's all so tiresome.

Things seem complicated until you understand why they are the way they are.

>buttstock adjustable for comb and length of pull
Important if the rifle will be used by different shooters. If you've ever used your buddies scoped rifle and you're of very different heights, you'll understand this.
>foldable
That thing would be a total cunt to manage inside a vehicle.
>detachable mag
beats single feed
>modular forend that supports various railz
Bipods and slings homie. IR too. Now when you swap accessories over time you don't have to go drilling new holes in your fiberglass stock.
>Muzzle device
Shooting a long string of .338 Lap with no brake can fuck with you.

Personally I find none of this stuff useful and my rifles don't look like that. Even for a competitive long range shooter there's a lot of useless crap going on there. However once you get a gun that will have multiple users, will be in and out of confined spaces, and will be periodically upgraded with new accessories over its lifetime, this sort of modularity makes a lot of sense.

Why are tactical things, utilitarian? reee

Ergonomics, maneuverability, ease of transport, etc.

This is pretty spot on, personally I have no need for large levels of adjustability of my rifle, but that's just because it's my rifle and it's already been made to fit me perfectly, it makes sense for military forces to be able to configure their rifles like that, soldiers vary in height and the amount of gear they are lugging around also does.

Modularity, drop in precision without complication/bedding etc., Ease of use, shooting first. A lot of chassis designs came from precision shooting spaceguns strengths.

So many fucking screws

I find it hilarious that the Ballista is literally a Unique Alpine TPG-3 made in Germany and then rebranded. FNH couldn't design their own rifle?

Modularity and refinement. Every individual part is broken down and optimized, as well as being easily replaceable.

What's the best bet for a civilian .338 rifle? Are the comparatively cheap savages acceptable for general use?

>in the last decade
dude the 2010s are pretty much over and theyve been doing this shit since the 80s

>why are expensive modern rifles expensive and modern?

he's not talking about the utility and features dipshit, he means the general look and cuts and shapes along the receiver and everywhere else i.e why everything is square and has "lightening cuts" that still results in a rifle over 15lbs.
just look at that ridiculous stock, it's neither particularly easy to manufacture nor lightweight. it was made that way to fulfill a certain look.

Best shape for cooling + space needed for upgrades + less weight. 100% of that stock is useful

How did the MSR beat the Ballista?

Attached: 8EED07EA8E00DB762CA0A7EDE119A63F8BC54738.jpg (1000x235, 96K)

Sure. Savage makes a great rifle at any price point.

If you just want to throw big bore metal long distances all you need is an applicable rifle in the right caliber from a reputable manufacturer. All the fancy stuff that jacks the price up is for ergonomics/ease of operation. IIt doesn’t increase mechanical accuracy or reliability.

Basically it's and if you're talking about it comes out of seas of user feedback that Semi grips fucking blow and an old ass M-40 can go fuck itself when compared to the comfort of a McMillan A5, and the compatibility for things you need in military contexts, such as anything other than a scope. For example, it's faster to deal with a detachable mag than to single load the fixed mag every 5 rounds. It's gonna look tactical as fuck when you have adjustable pads to adjust for individual cheek structure, length of pull, rails for bipods, scopes, and the night vision clip ons that come with them in military context. At that point, you may as well commit to the tacticool aesthetic because you're going to have everything needed to make it. Paint it tan and call it a day.

>just look at that ridiculous stock, it's neither particularly easy to manufacture nor lightweight. it was made that way to fulfill a certain look
The reasons for its setup were explained, you're a salty bitch. Why are you upset lol

They're not designed for aesthetic appeal you literal autist, they are designed for ultimate utility and function. Lightening cuts are made where they can be without affecting strength or ergonomics or adjustments.

What do you get when you want the lightest, strongest, most adjustable, most repeatably accurate chassis possible? You get the rifles this thread is about. They're not made with a "tacticool" appeal, they are literally function over form.

>weird stock has multiple adjustment points for shooter handling, a spot for a monopod adaptor for holding a specific position, and takes up minimal space to save weight on an inherently heavy gun
>pistol grip because it's just better
>detachable mag because you'd have to be retarded not to
>rails at 12 and 6 for scopes and bipods
>muzzle brake because I believe this gun is .338 LM and that would already be hard on the shoulder

All things tacticool have a purpose. It's when they're unneeded that they become a hindrance.

corruption

Explain what makes it "tacticool".

Attached: psg1-6.jpg (1200x657, 96K)

The folding is useful in making a lower center of mass when on your backpack where the rifle generally points upwards and is cradled on the outside in the center.
It's also useful in shrinking your silhouette in this position and when moving between vegetation snag points, especially low hanging branches.
>t. long range hunter autist

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modular