Century PSL

So I just bought a Century Arms PSL. Before anyone says I should have bought a SVD know that I don't have 8000 dollaroos to drop on a rifle. I did manage to pick up this up for a few hundred less than what Century sells it for on their website and the rifle is brand new in box, but I want to know if I still fucked up. Does anyone have experiences with this rifle from Century? Any shit I should be on the look out for?

Attached: RomanianPSLRifle-5.jpg (770x236, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zPc-i87jio8
youtu.be/zPc-i87jio8?t=347
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They were overpriced when they were $800.

>marksman rifle that isn't accurate
>7.62x54r, so you can spend a lot of money to shoot it but get no performance in return
>it looks like a dragunov, but isn't; anyone who knows anything knows you're a poser, and worse a sucker too, anyone who is impressed isn't worth impressing

If you wanted a rifle for performance, an AR10 would btfo it easily. If you wanted to pretend you had a dragunov, a VEPR with a fancy furniture stock would be far better. So yeah, you fucked up.

Its that shit of a rifle eh?

I don't want an Ar-10 i already have a few. I just wanted something in 7.62x54r for fun. Kind hurts knowing a vepr is still considered better than a PSL but oh well I live an learn, so fuck it. Like I said I still got a decent price since I wasn't paying full price for the thing.

psl and dragunov have practically same moa lmao. but most dragunov fags drop 8000 instead of 800 on a rifle with the same performance

It's not a bad gun. But it's a bad gun for the price.

>caliber is a pretty bad choice for well, anything
>barrel is thin and heats up quickly; your first two shots might be pretty accurate, but after that your groups open up

But, fuck it they're probably not getting any cheaper if this is what fucking Century prices them at, so worst case scenario when they stop importing them again you can probably sell it for a hefty hebrew markup if you wind up not liking it.

>psl and dragunov have practically same moa lmao
No they don't.
>8000 instead of 800
I want you to go look at what a PSL costs now. Hint: it hasn't been $800 for a decade.

Also, people buying dragunovs aren't exactly doing so for the performance. It's definitely for collectability.

>They were overpriced when they were $800

Its been almost 15 years since they were that price, and Russian saigas were $300 at that time. Market has changed a lot since then and psls will never be $800 again

True, that doesn't change the fact that they aren't worth that money when it comes to performance. If paying two grand for not-dragunov aesthetics is your thing, well, you still should have gotten a vepr in my opinion, but ok.

It's like buying a Kimber. No, it's not worth it in any tangible sense. But that is still the market value, worth it or not.

I owned one for awhile. I too bought it to try and fulfill my dragunov lust. It's a big AK, if you go into it with those expectations, you won't be disappointed. If you expect it to be super accurate and high quality, got bad news. Mine was about 2-3MOA gun with modern production Wolf. It was pretty cool I guess, but not worth the prices they asking these days. I payed $750 for mine, sold it during Sandy Hook panic for $1500

Dont these beat themselves to death if you use too strong ammo? Im not invested in this at all so im not gonna google that for you but you definitely should op.

Only shoot light ball in it. Heavy ball will over-gas the system and cause excess damage to the receiver. People have reported cracks from shooting 200/174 grain stuff.

just got a PSL. love it

Attached: IMG_2371.jpg (600x800, 160K)

Another mark of glorious Vepr superiority. Our glorious Vyatskie-Polyany steel folded 1000x over can chew through 200grain hunting loads by the carton without even breaking so much as a sweat.

That's not a PSL and you know it

Thats a fake poor mans psl clone, sell it to me for $800 and I'll take it off your hands

>He doesn't appreciate the craftsmanship of Romanian child labor

Veprs are fun

Attached: 20181110_174557.jpg (845x2509, 1.73M)

Actually the guy who sold it to me warned me not to run the 180 grain shit through it. So ya I know about that and the fact that it aint gonna reproduce a SVD's MOA. I just thought "hey I am probably never going to own an SVD unless I stumble across a dead Russian sniper in the middle of nowhere, and this guy has a cheap PSL here maybe I should just buy it and have fun pretending I own an SVD"

I appreciate the labor, just not the children

Attached: FB_IMG_1539186967311.jpg (496x459, 23K)

Attached: 1461457203731.jpg (308x308, 16K)

Its definitely a fun gun and they can be accurate with good ammo. Youll probably enjoy it even with its flaws. Theyre definitely cool guns and show up in conflicts in every corner of the world
youtube.com/watch?v=zPc-i87jio8

Attached: 291654-syria-civil-war.jpg (800x479, 210K)

>show up in conflicts in every corner of the world
Anyone remember that one Jow Forumsommando who went to Libya and posted a shitload of videos here? I'll never forget the one of him taking cover behind a white pickup, trading shots with his PSL with a sniper in a building off in the distance while his buddy is begging him to let them gtfo. Comment section was full of butthurt Arabs claiming he was a CIA super soldier because he knew how to use a scope properly.

Sadly I think all his videos were deleted after he went to Syria and was captured almost immediately by the Syrian government.

>psl and dragunov have practically same moa lmao
>No they don't.
they literally do
youtu.be/zPc-i87jio8?t=347
unless you're one of those people that consider 1/4 of an moa not "practically the same".

Im guessing hes KIA now?

Attached: pict77.jpg (1000x666, 90K)

Is he sticking the barrel out the window?

>Comment section was full of butthurt Arabs claiming he was a CIA super soldier because he knew how to use a scope properly.
Do these people not have access to good info or are they just really dumb?

Looks to be just resting it on the window shelf as you can still see the front sight tower inside

Indeed

Attached: 20181208_112916.jpg (3264x2448, 1.87M)

It was widely thought so. Basically after Libya wrapped up he announced he'd be going to Syria to help out revolutionaries there. Then he disappeared completely. Then news about ISIS started. And no updates from the guy or about him.

Basically it seemed like he was either dead or very dead. Then after a few years the Syrian government released him, turned out they picked him up right away and he'd been imprisoned the whole time.

I wish his website was still around, or any of his youtube videos. There was some pretty wild shit, like that sniper duel, him directing rebel artillery, them finding all kinds of crazy weapon caches, and one video of a Libyan tripping on a curb and nearly blowing the guy's brains out while he recorded it, lucky that was the one Libyan with trigger discipline so he lived. Another cool one was rebels strategically using RPGs as airburst nigger artillery by firing form the self-destruct distance so the rounds would explode over their target.

It was pretty crazy then, because there weren't ISIS combat videos or anything like that yet. It was some of the best combat footage posted here back then.

>Do these people not have access to good info or are they just really dumb?
Both. It doesn't help that there were US SF in Libya at the time, but he pretty clearly wasn't one of them. The average American fudd hunter is like a super soldier in the middle east when it comes to firearms competency.

>The average American fudd hunter is like a super soldier in the middle east when it comes to firearms competency.
I wonder, how many Arabs is a Burgerfudd worth in a battle? Imagine all those threeper LARPers putting their money where their mouth is and heading to syria

Local shop had them on the shelf for $2079 a piece. Pretty crazy but apparently people are buying them.

Got mine for $375 used about 8 or 9 years ago.

Attached: PSL Field Strip 2.jpg (2546x1082, 1002K)

The exotic milsurp era is fukken dead, guns have now gone into the "tuner" era where the most sensible option is building shit on the cheap.

Realistically the only 2 reasons why SVDs are 8K is that they are banned so they have the exclusivity factor.

Combined with the cold war / modern conflict mystique and the fact it has nicer aesthetics to the PSL is why the demand cranks it up to insane levels

Actual performance it's slightly better than the PSL, but realistically neither of these were meant to be super accurate sub MOA rifles, Combat accuracy is what they were designed for and is what they will give you.

Either way nice purchase,

Its a fun gun. Just got my cugir built century imported one for 1k. Yes you can have a more accurate rifle in 308 for $350. Yes Veprs are more accurate and better built. No they arent PSLs and dont have the cool or historical factor. Anons who dont get this miss the point and they are better served with a synthetic stock hunting rifle from walmart which will be 1 moa out of the box and also very boring.

Attached: 1492053653249.jpg (637x900, 46K)

I'd take a PSL over a VEPR anyday. Veprs just don't have the cool factor that the PSL has. If I want a really accurate 7.62mm I'll roll with an AR10 before going the cucked thumbhole fudded VEPR route

>cool factor
There is nothing cool about Romania.
What historical factor? The gun never did anything.

I bought one when both the rifle and ammo were super cheap.

They're very fun don't listen to the haters.

Your rifle is gross as a fudds asshole.
This

¿Por qué no los dos?

Attached: 20190310_204355.jpg (4032x1960, 2.45M)

They have been used in conflicts all over the world from the Balkan wars to Chechnya to current conflicts in the Middle East. Sorry you bought a thumbhole vepr with a 5 round mag.

Attached: 46bf018cc23047b195d41c37710789c6--female-soldier-guns-and-roses.jpg (540x960, 114K)

>my shitty AK that shoots 7.62x54r is better than your good one!
lol
meant to quote you in this post:
I'll also point out it's still in production and service so seriously: what historical value? I'm pretty sure the most significant thing the Romanian military ever did was not doing something, when they decided not to invade Czechoslovakia with the rest of the Warsaw Pact. But the gun wasn't even in service at the time to not do that.
When you larp as a Kurdish communist do you also curse your rifle and wish you got a Dragunov like the cooler terrorist cells? If so, I approve.

>cant even quote correctly
>autistic screeching over gun used in several conflicts since the 80s because "romanian military didnt do anything"

user stop. You can still sell your vepr buy a used PSL and spend under $500 to buy a 1 moa off the shelve rifle. No need to embarrass yourself further. If you bought a Dragunov for $8k and feel angry because people confuse PSLs for your safe queen just try going out more and making friends.

Attached: 500CB3EC-A23F-4F7D-8CE1-7186D715C536_w1080_h608_s (1).jpg (1080x608, 96K)

>has a few AR10s
>bought a PSL in 2019
You'd have been well over halfway to a real dragunov if you stopped making such poorfaggot decisions.

How to spot a noguns: The Post

But user he's right. Dragunovs and Tigrs are nicer, better built, much more expensive, and will give you maybe half an inch or 1 inch more accuracy over a PSL for thousands of dollars more. Neither are sub moa guns and rarely are they even just 1.5 moa guns.

Attached: _2.jpg (1090x1200, 117K)

Well shit bro, if I had a fucking time machine I guess I could solve all kinds of problems. I don't give a fuck about whats currently in my safe or what grand choices I could have made 10 years. I just wanted to know if I got cheated buying a PSL made by Century or if I actually did manage to get a good deal buying this thing on the cheap.

>cant even quote correctly
I'm drunk, tired, and sick of the retarded.
>gun used in several conflicts since the 80s
In which it was always the last choice of the guy who had it. I mean, if you like collecting not even second-rate but third rate rifles no one wanted to use, I guess I can see the point.

>can't have a dragunov
>can't have a Chinkunov
>too retarded to find a m76
better get a PSL

Century didn't make them they imported them from Romania. If you bought it "on the cheap" and it puts a smile on your face you did well if you keep in mind it is not a sub MOA or even 1 MOA gun. If you want a more accurate rifle you can be like everyone else and get a ruger precision for 1k that will do 1" groups or better, or a cheap Savage hunting rifle that will do 1 moa 3 shot groups before it heats up after a few shots. The PSL is cool, much more than off the rack hunting rifles which are cheaper and more accurate, more so than Veprs, not as much as real SVDs/Dragunovs. But if you got a good price in the current year then just know the value will only increase in time.
>drunk
>posts on Jow Forums
>argues against a rifle used in multiple iconic conflicts "because its not muhdragunov"
>repeatedly screeches about "not a real dragunov" on thread user posted asking about a completely different gun
>tells user he should pay 7x more for a gun that will be at best 1" more accurate

Take your meds go to bed. Maybe you are just angry you didnt buy them when they were $600.

Attached: 1411647687065.png (750x598, 996K)

>Maybe you are just angry you didnt buy them when they were $600.
Maybe, fuck you.
>tells user he should pay 7x more for a gun that will be at best 1" more accurate
>>repeatedly screeches about "not a real dragunov" on thread user posted asking about a completely different gun
Only because the one and only reason anybody will ever buy this rifle, for this price, is because if you know nothing about guns, it looks like a dragunov. Not because a few terrorists, militias, and armies that never saw conflict used it because they couldn't afford even Chinese knockoffs of the real deal. Or even superior Zastava DMRs.

The reason it exists on the US market is to be a pretend Dragunov, because its value as an actual rifle isn't very much.

>NO FUN ALLOWED YOU CANT BUY THIS RIFLE USED IN SEVERAL WARS BECAUSE IT LOOKS TOO SIMILAR TO ANOTHER CONPLETELY DIFFERENT ONE THAT IS 8X MORE EXPENSIVE IN THE U.S MARKET REEEEEEE

Wew you sure sound like a fun gun enthusiast there buddy. I think you're drunk posting on Jow Forums at this time to cope with other issues. Its ok. Just let the anger go and remember to like guns for their stories and values and fun factor and stop browsing arg threads which are full of trip faggots. You will feel happier I promise.

Attached: Now+at+starbucks+its+cold+here+who+wants+a+psl_623f2f_6754547.jpg (1200x1524, 360K)

>NO FUN ALLOWED YOU CANT BUY THIS RIFLE USED IN SEVERAL WARS BECAUSE IT LOOKS TOO SIMILAR TO ANOTHER CONPLETELY DIFFERENT ONE
user, I get the argument you're trying to make I really do. But you can't pull the PSL out of the Dragunov's shadow. Because if you do, it becomes worse.

Let's do a thought experiment. Say the gun looks NOTHING like a dragunov at all. Would anyone have interest in it? Maybe at $700, it'd be a cheaper competitor to the PTR.

This is my problem. If you consider it a Dragunov, it is not. If you consider it as not a Dragunov, it has even less value. Are you really into the PSL for its history? Because again, its history is the gun people chose when they couldn't afford a Dragunov. Which is fitting, because that's still why you wind up getting one. The "appreciation of history! Muh milsurp!" justification for high prices doesn't work, because it's not like this is a decades out of service rifle no longer in production, with limited numbers available and none ever to be made again. It's a new production, still current service rifle.

So I suppose in summary, my point remains the same: If you can't afford a Dragunov, don't buy a Dragunov. If you're into historical rifles, there are a LOT cooler guns you can get for the money than a third-rate DMR for second-rate armed forces. If you can't get over the Dragunov and still can't afford it, the Vepr with a faux dragunov furniture set is a better choice.

>are you really into the PSL for its history

Once again considering it has been widely used since the 80s from Sarajevo to Mosul and I can buy it for 1/8 of the cost of an SVD and get comparable accuracy then absolutely yes. How is this hard to understand and why have you made so many posts about it on a PSL thread? Go make an SVD thread and stop being an autist.

The history of the gun is interesting in itself as a DMR rifle made by Romania which they could make in their factories with very slight changes and have it be almost the same as their AKs since its pretty much an elongated AK. I really like SVDs but they are different guns and beyond the collector value absolutely not worth 6k or more which is their current price. A 1k PSL will put a big old smile in my face shooting hogs, more so than a cookie cutter rem 700 that is more accurate. How can this simple fact be hard to understand on Jow Forums?

>its still current production!
So are SVDs so by your logic they have no historical value and are worse than PSLs since they are much more overpriced? I dont care about SVDs being "current production" I care about the price/availability in the current U.S market. I would not pay 2.5k for a PSL, but for 1k or so I would pick it over a Vepr simple because they are cooler. A vepr in dragunov furniture is still a dressed up rifle. I enjoy a rifle used in the "urban guerrilla" role in conflicts all over the world since the 80s more than a dressed up hunting rifle. Shooting steel at 300yds with a beat to shit balkan war SKS or Vietnam era Type 53 is sometimes more fun than doing it with my AR with a 1-8 scope. This is all it boils down to. Love of guns and their backstory.

It seems you have abandoned the ways of the Jow Forumsube and have probably posted in AR generals and GQ too much my friend. Pray for guidance.

Attached: 1510534225217.png (2048x1152, 2.38M)

>seems you have abandoned the ways of the Jow Forumsube
did you know it's not actually a cube?
>How can this simple fact be hard to understand on Jow Forums?
I understand that this gun has value. It does not have anywhere near its current monetary value in worthiness either as a collectible or performance.

>So are SVDs so by your logic they have no historical value and are worse than PSLs since they are much more overpriced?
Somewhat yes, somewhat no. The prices for them are absurd. However, they are at least justified by scarcity within the US. The PSL is this price simply because Century are proving even when they aren't mangling guns, they're still the worst company in the business bar none.

The PSL is kinda a bad gun, it's pretty much the worst rifle in its class. However, it's not so terrible I hate it. But I can't imagine any sane person buying one in 2019. OP asked if he fucked up. In my opinion, if he paid " a few hundred less than what Century sells it for on their website", which is $2,200, then yeah. He fucked up.

Attached: murdercube is not a cube.jpg (900x1128, 1.01M)

Isn't someone or didnt someone just say recently that they were going to be importing new production M76's soon?

They formed a US company to import their guns. They're bringing in the m91, which is like the m76's gay younger brother.

Also, 3k MSRP on those m91s I hear

>>marksman rifle that isn't accurate
it's as accurate/no more accurate then a SVD/M76

so 1.5MOA check macs test

yes they do.

>single stack magwell
>single stack
>5 rounds

oh no no no no no

MSRP IS $4500

Holy shit, how do they even expect to compete against the psl and m76 with that MSRP? It's basically the same action

For starters, you can't get new M76. You're limited to an AWO of questionable quality or building your own parts kit on a Tortort receiver.

Dude, they were $500 like six years ago.

Maybe parts kit builds like those from FPKs from TGI, but I haven't seen imports that low for the rifle and scope. Especially not 5 years ago.

Base rifle, brand new, factory built. This will always be stuck in my mind as I invested in a couple of mini dracos instead, as we thought those would never be imported again. Whoopsie.

It happens, I bought ars and shit after Sandy Hook thinking that thinking it AWB 2.0 was going to happen.

And yet still cooler than the Vepr

Attached: 1538802110416.jpg (464x606, 37K)

>Vepr dressed up in SVD furnature
Congats, you have the Drag Queen of the DMRs. At least the PSL was born that way

Attached: download.jpg (299x168, 9K)

>SDVs No military / conflict or war use
>PSL No conflict use
The fucking SVD has been in every conflict since Vietman retard, The PSL has also been in every African / conflict and civil war since the 80's. Not to mention every mid east conflict. How many conflicts has your Fudded Verpr been in?

Attached: serious.jpg (602x864, 234K)

My psl is one of my favorites to shoot and just look at. It's main flaw is that the butt stock lines you up better for irons than it does for the scope so you get a bit more of a chin than cheek weld.
IMO, they're worth the money if you have it, probably not if you have to eat ramen noodles for 3 months each time you buy a gun.
I can't speak for yours, but my psl with the ammo it likes seems to hover just above/below the 1in mark. I've also used ammo that shot like trash at 50 yards, and some stuff that shot well except about 20% of it felt hotter and kindof went where it wanted a bit no matter how perfect the sight picture was when the hammer dropped.
I've never been a mag dumper so I've never seen my groups string out the way I hear about on Jow Forums. I get the barrel warm shooting paper, but never had it blistering hot when I'm not just shooting mudholes or rocks for fun. I don't view the barrel tapering off after the gas block to be an issue. IMO, it's a great way to keep the center of mass close to your body rather than far out. And that barrel is pretty beefy up until the gas block, then it gets down to typical 762x39 barrel thickness.

You got scammed friendo, could have grabbed a Vepr 54r for $800 and had a better rifle

>scammed
Umm, that's the going rate... hardly a scam. He didn't get tricked into spending 2k on a gun he could have picked up for 1k anywhere else with ease.
>could have grabbed a Vepr 54r for $800
Mind pointing out where you're finding vepr54rs, or any vepr for that matter, for $800?

Good luck finding one at that price now, also got to take into account the psl scope adds around 200

I got mine from a coworker who needed more safe room for other funs. The biggest thing to understand about this rifle is that the accuracy is "good enough" will it shoot sub MOA? Probably not, but that's ok it wasn't designed for that.
It's a fun shooting gun and I hope you enjoy it.
And Remember it likes the light ball stuff.

>dressed up vepr in shitty svd lookalite wood
>.308
>single stack 5 round mags

Fucking garbage rod

I'm curious how detrimental it is to shoot heavy ammo out of it. I've heard conflicting reports with some people saying it's okay, and others the opposite.

Anything over 150 is a no no.
I found 147g czech silver tip to be the best milsurp ammo for it

>Tigr version.
So close and yet so far

Attached: 2DEA6052-FDC1-4D0F-AA6D-2C0E09DA44D6.gif (244x280, 869K)

It's not even worth finding out. Would you really want to take a chance breaking your approaching $2000 gun?

IDK why you'd have any major need to use heavy ball anyway. I've used it through my mosin some, and aside from having marginally better effects on cratering ice, I don't care for it at all. I hear people complain about the recoil, but I really don't notice much difference. It's just more like shooting my kar98 which is almost fairly meh with my yugo 196grain bullets.
And I always favor a flatter shooting round at higher speed for hunting. I want the fastest expansion possible.

Attached: P1070065.jpg (2560x1920, 2.31M)

>I found 147g czech silver tip to be the best milsurp ammo for it
Good luck finding that any more, that's been unobtanium for most of the last decade.
It's the factory 188 light ball that's dead accurate through mine. Never tried czech, but wish I had gotten some when it was around. But I like pulling bullets and russian craftsmanship is very noticeably better when I've inspected pulled/shot bullets.

Yeah i haven’t seen it for a while but then again i haven’t exactly been looking all that hard. The PSL i was using it with has basically been a wall ornament for the last several years so i suppose it’s not huge loss. I’ve also put czech silvertip through my SVD before and had good results as well, but since it will take the heavy stuff just fine i’ve tried to sandbag and hang onto what little CzST I have left

>but then again i haven’t exactly been looking all that hard
Well, I have, and I haven't seen the stuff since 2009 or maybe 2010 around the latest. It was cheap until the tap all of a sudden went dry like with 762x25.
At least I lived my main 54r dream and got a hold of the other really hard to find ammo I've wanted forever, hungarian steel core heavy ball. Nobody else made steel cored heavy ball.

Attached: #54r.jpg (1156x936, 665K)

Dont feel bad about your purchase OP. These threads attract faggots who think they spend 10x the money on a near identical gun they will get 10x better performance.
This applies to the AR/AK market as well just at a lower multiple, usually 2-4x.
I think it would be a fun blaster to just goof off innawoods with.
Practice with it and get some good ammo and you can get good accuracy with it.
Anyone shitting on you are just jealous faggos who dont even own an AK, much less a PSL.

Attached: 1551934226359.png (483x581, 341K)

Attached: winnerwinnerchechendinner.jpg (487x292, 113K)

orca22 or something right?

>clutches mosin
i'll convert it one day ya jerk

It's double stack and more accurate than an SVD. Gee I sure feel like a fool.

Ignore your buyer's remorse (as quick as you fucking can) and simply enjoy the thing as you burn up a few boxes of 7.62x54R.

I just bought one myself a few weeks ago

Attached: IMG_20190309_215300__01.jpg (4603x1632, 3.66M)

I prefer the vepr 7.62x54r over any AR fuck the ar system. The AR is the BMW of the gun world faggots buy it because how cool it they think it will make them yeah they are more accurate and better quality but they dont have the aesthetic of ak system. AKs are like the classic muscle cars they might not have the power of the new cars but will always be cooler

They have 10rdrs

Honestly, I never held a Tigr but I will admit the full length barrel on the SVD could be considered a bit unwieldly for shorter people. I like it but im blessed to be tall enough to where it doesnt bother me.
How much did you pay for your Tigr and when did you get it? Not shitposting - genuinely curious.

I still have an unopened tin of Russian 7N1 that came with mine. I’d love to just go nuts shoot it all but for some reason I’ve convinced myself I’d feel too guilty afterwards, so i’ve been saving it for a rainy day/SHTF instead

The funny thing is, it's a better rifle than any of those it dresses up as. Might as well leave it with the thumbhole stock.

Fuck you commie faggot

>Fuck you commie faggot
No slav shit and nazi stuff will always be cooler than soulless ameritrash ar15 and ar10s

dude are you like 12? put some flame stickers on an ar and go shit your pants .

I'm 6'6 so I want a longer barrel too! I paid $6k for a mint Tigr with 4 mags, bipod, and bayo. I just need to find a 24" barrel

Picking it up today by the way