/akg/ AK General

AK General /akg/
Mag Horde Edition
>Thread #794

Old thread here

Attached: 13534499_1738076426404133_1766094625_n.jpg (320x320, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/YdEkhdva
youtube.com/watch?v=XxrOr2rC6BU
apexgunparts
armsofamerica.com/ak55630rdmagazinefabrykabronimfgpolishmilitaryissueforakberyl556.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>AK Buyer's Guide

pastebin.com/YdEkhdva

AKs are super homosexual

What are some /akg/ approved optics? PK-01VS looks good and cheap.

Obzors are pretty great and the Kobra is a decent choice.

>PK-01VS
Those are good. And they co-witness.
Ive heard mixed reviews on the kobras.
And obzors only if you're ok with chinweld.

Did somebody say mag horde?

Attached: Path of God.jpg (451x751, 85K)

>mag hoarding
Conveniently named thread considering I just received 29 steel mags in the mail. Most are damaged/nonfunctional but I’m planning on fixing and reselling them.

Also I just bought a dead air wolverine. What am I in for? It’s going to be mounted on my RPK, AK74, and 7.62 krink whenever it gets built

Attached: 24704536-64A3-4B86-B2D5-2A6A6A958959.jpg (3399x2313, 2.92M)

Chinweld is the way to go though. Can't go back now, keeping the head straight is godlike.

You can't keep your head straight with a cheekweld?
Do you shoot sideways to the target and chicken wing your elbows too?
Square up to the target and quit shooting like fudds and fat cops.

Kobra and Venezuela are good, but watch out for knock off Kobras. Can always go with the POSP if you want magnification

SGAmmo?

Wouldnt fit in an AK74 receiver, have to hammer it into my AKM receivers to get it to fit.
Please, keep going, it's such a good habit for you to have

>he doesn't know AK-74 and AKM furniture is interchangeable
Lmao @ ur life senpai
Not even the guy you're replying to

Attached: 37a.jpg (673x680, 121K)

I've noticed we've had an influx of know nothing retards recently, /akg/ used to be super comfy

I wish. I bought 10 dented mags from SG back in the day for $5 apiece. Half of them functioned fine. I got most of these from Apex for about $10 apiece shipped, which isn't terrible by 2019 standards, but theyre definitely in worse shape than the ones I got from SGammo. I only picked a few out that I think will function fine. The rest have some pretty gnarly dents in them.
Ultimately I plan on windowing them and doing some Bad Elements round counter type stuff, then selling them.

You know the reason for that

>Ultimately I plan on windowing them and doing some Bad Elements round counter type stuff
And people wonder why steelies are going up in price. Get a mag madrel, or use another tool to that effect.
I use a 24" rectangular handled breaker bar to push dents out. The only problem I've had are mags that are compressed on the spine (front to back, not the sides)

Attached: rmw104.jpg (2288x940, 314K)

Surplus dries up, its the way of the world.
The mag mandrels are like $400, not even remotely worth it.
I don't quite understand how you use tools to push dents out. I get the concept, push a tool in and force it up on the dent, but I've tried with no success. How do you even fit a breaker bar into the mag?

>The mag mandrels are like $400, not even remotely worth it.
They're $620 and I agree.
The breaker bar handle is what I use. It's short enough on the "short" side of the rectangle, to fit easily, then the "wide" side is actually a little wider than the width of the mag body.
Put it in and twist then work it up and down the dent.
Does that make sense?

Attached: 71X3Fr4Wk4L._SX679_.jpg (679x553, 20K)

Huh, I thought they'd cause receiver spec
>shrug.jpg

Oops, they'd differ* still early

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, thank you.

I have a couple that have some seriously bad dents near the bottom or on the spine that Im going to try and cut into tanker mags.

Holy this. Watching people pay an extra $10-20 for a windowed Croat takes away my will to live

Thats why I want to window them. I could fix the dents and sell them for maybe $15 a piece for the good condition ones, or I could spend 20 minutes with the dremel and sell them for $30. I don't know why people eat them up like they do when it's so simple.

Here are a couple I did. Again, these were dented mags.

Attached: photo_2019-03-06_20-23-20.jpg (1224x828, 238K)

Well NOW I assume cause Metro
Before that, beyond fuckin me

But still, why not just do it yourself? Why pay a premium when it takes 20 minutes? The "BFPU" look is also a big money maker. Lots of my mags are in really good condition (left mag), but I guarantee that the middle mag would sell for more. Patina and wear are sexy.

I might get a brillo pad and BFPU the window mags I make so I can sell them for even more.

Attached: DA5DF7C6-9684-46C3-9D41-5FB00D798592.jpg (1033x1295, 407K)

>Patina and wear are sexy
True, but fake wear and patina looks fake.

So the wasr wood was my first attempt at refinishing a stock, so more of a proof of concept/something to tinker with for a week. I've been looking for a set of polish/bulgy/soviet but everything seems overpriced for what I'm getting. Any recommendations on where to find cheap (pref below $50 for the set) stock sets that are better than the CAI special I currently have?

Attached: IMG_20190321_091026.jpg (2496x4437, 3.75M)

AKFiles but you're not going to find a whole set for under $50

Looks good but that wood will start to crack or warp from heat with continuous fire so i suggest replacing it soon. Juat check ak files or a gun show/armlist for some Romanian Surplus furniture, it shouldnt only cost you like $70-$100. You are getting furniture for under $50

>tfw early 90's imported GP 1975 with all Romanian parts and wood
Feels good

Attached: GP 1975.jpg (3000x2000, 2.69M)

youtube.com/watch?v=XxrOr2rC6BU
GF3 is still looking good, cant wait to see people cope on how the US market now has a decent AK

The original wood will be functionally fine so you can use that for a while before you fully commit to some other furniture. I got some unissued polish handguards from Apex that look and feel really nice. But it's like 50 bucks just for that. It will be tough to find a full set of furniture in decent shape for under 80-100.

What is the country of origin?
Are you windowing all of them or leaving a few just repaired but intact? I might be interested in a couple of windowed ones!

>What am I in for
Great aesthetics, build quality, and design. It is a very cool can that IMO is a must have for any AK collector. It functions well, and the only real limitations to it's performance are the result of the platform itself, not the suppressor.

Could you get better performance out of a Dead Air Nomad with Key Mo with a JMAC face mounting Key Mo muzzle brake and a KNS adjustable piston? Sure, but at that point you're straying pretty far away from a "true" AK, and if you're serious about suppression, go work with another platform.

I like my PBS-1 a lot for the reasons I stated above. If I want super quiet I grab my 300blk with subs.

Nice picture. Are you looking to get a set that needs to be refinished? If so Apex has bulgarian furniture sets. Otherwise troll the files for a russian set. You won't have to refinish it, but it will cost around $100.

Looks great too. That dong appears to have been shortened a little as well. Nice bake. I'm jealous.

Attached: DSC03690.jpg (3600x2400, 2.99M)

If I'm specifically only looking for around 'fair' quality surplus to do another refinishing on, does that change the price range or options I'm looking at? I liked the project just wish the wood had a more defined grain.

for example, is this worth my time or probably just going to be rotten shit covered in gouges?
apexgunparts com/more/furniture/ak-furniture/bulgarian-ak74-stock-set-wood-fair.html

Attached: IMG_20190321_102728.jpg (5208x2930, 3.56M)

When did you file your form 1 for your PBS?

You can refinish almost any wood to look good. One problem you'll run into though, is if you have to do a LOT of sanding, you'll end up with big gaps between handguards or rounded out edges. Which is all cosmetic, but could be a big deal depending on the person

>form 1
>PBS
Noguns please git

It looks nice, but kinda basic. I used a red oak stain on mine, then many coats of amber shellac. It turned out a dark brownish red color. Not that fake """russian red""" that boomers think is cool, but a nice dark red. Pic related, the buttstock only on the wasr. I have matching handguards but they werent on it in this pic.

All euro. No markings on any of them, but I see a couple that have the grey color of a Hungarian, some blued ones I'd guess are Romanian, but really I don't know. When I get some cut up, I'll send you an email. I'm windowing some on the left side, some on the right, and some on both, depending on where the dents are.

I'm pretty excited for the wolverine. I found it for $620, so after tax, shipping and my FFLs $120 transfer fee, I'll be at $950. I come out $50 ahead of Silencershop and I dont have to drive 150 miles round trip to the only Powered shop in my state. How long did the stamp take? I figure I'll cut a month off at least by filing it myself instead of silencershop doing it for me.

Attached: DSC_0890.jpg (4000x2659, 2.65M)

Attached: IMG_1447.jpg (1632x1224, 1.29M)

I would pass on that. I tried refinishing some Bulgarian wood, but theres just no grain to it. It won't look much different than what you've got right now.

Go on AKfiles and find some surplus laminate furniture. It's out there. You might wind up spending $70-100 on a set, but it's out there.

Im looking for a pic of my refinished bulgy wood, but they're all on my old phone which is kill

Yeah I went sedona red but did a spar urethane finish. It looks more brown when out of direct light, just please don't tell me it looks like the Kool-Aid red that the boomers lust for.

Attached: IMG_20190321_105645.jpg (2952x5248, 3.64M)

Form 4. Sorry my phone autocorrected ir before I noticed.

>using a spare stock set as practice
Smart

It's still a little red for my taste. I think your urethane finish throws it off a bit. Shellac gives you a much warmer vibe, its glossy without looking plasticy

Sorry for all the shit you got last thread. Let us know you were refinishing it for practice from the start

Also, for reference, here's where I started.

Attached: IMG_20190321_110906.jpg (2211x3930, 1.27M)

Anons, I have the opportunity to buy either a Mak-90 sporter, slant cut reciever or a Romanian SAR-1 with a side folding wire stock. Which to do? Leaning towards the SAR since the Mak furniture is garbage and I want a folder, but if I remember right the Mak is a better gun, even though they're similarly priced. Opinions?

No sweat, I got waaay more shit from ARG about my first pistol build (wgws might remember me lol). I know I like it just curious how it looks to others so I know I'm not overlooking any goofs I may have made.

Attached: IMG_20180330_185811.jpg (5027x2828, 3.92M)

I'd go Sar. slant receivers are fucking awful and I hate them.

Max can barely remember his name, much less random anons

Attached: IMG_20190320_231335.jpg (2271x1036, 216K)

Translucent green 5.56 beryl mags are back in stock at armsofamerica lads. Snag some before the scalpers at the files get them all.
armsofamerica.com/ak55630rdmagazinefabrykabronimfgpolishmilitaryissueforakberyl556.aspx

Attached: 0203181046.jpg (800x1422, 141K)

That's a relief

Attached: IMG_20190321_112217.jpg (2800x4976, 3.42M)

When you get new furniture shellac and pine tar it. Great finish and your ak will smell nice for a few months.

Attached: 1552852266903m.jpg (1024x576, 135K)

Posting update to dab on the user who though dust cover rails were dumb, just installed mine

Attached: received_833925036953701.jpg (910x1826, 112K)

Worjks great

Attached: received_1431346730328836.jpg (910x1826, 71K)

Doubt he's butthurt just because you've got it.
You haven't proven him wrong until you show that it holds zero well between cleanings and all that sort of bs.

That's a lot of effort I just don't have, all the reviews show it holds zero, akou did some testing. I'll go shooting and post some updates

Attached: received_847775248908030.jpg (1826x910, 102K)

But when it does lose zero you're surely going to come back and tell us, right?

well then the evidence sounds like it's already out there and he can go be mad
also this, if it does

Of course, I'll let yall know how it goes,
I'm surprised, I assumed they would be popular among Jow Forumsommandos, do you just use iron sights?

>newfag
Explains a lot

Imagine being dumb enough to buy a C39V2

Attached: 1549673928745.jpg (713x713, 85K)

>slant cut
Was gonna say get both but hard pass
I love my MAK and SAR equally, it's also kinda cool to see the differences between a Type 56 and AKM side-by-side

It's built on a 1990 AEL receiver, and I'm pretty sure the grip hasn't been shortened. I'm thinking about buying a wood pistol grip for it for the total wood experience

Attached: IMG_20190201_120123.jpg (3120x4160, 3.56M)

Is that a thing? I bought 10 once from AoA for my 106 and never checked again. How much do they scalp them for?

>c39
I feel like they've been in stock other places pretty routinely, cant remember where tho. Maybe atlantic?

Wait, aren't C39 BCGs blued?
What shitty pistol is this?

Literally a C39v2 pistol

I have scopes sighted for a bunch of my stuff, but I mostly use irons and 10rd mags because I value weight/size savings over just about anything else. Not a mag dumper, obviously. If they weren't about $100 each when I got them, I doubt I'd have 5 of those scopes.
Irons don't stop me from hitting my 400 yard steel pretty regular shooting offhand, and the lighter my gun is, the better I do and for longer.

Attached: P1060323.jpg (2560x1920, 2.46M)

This retard bought a c39v2 pistol and went to the trouble of replacing the components that are actually okay?
Holy shit

Yeah I dont know what is going on tbhfam

>look at me I'm part of the group
Literally nothing wrong with c39v2, half of yall have wasrs

$45 usually

not c39fag but the only problem I heard they have was the Bcg

Literally nothing wrong with wasrs, but your dumb ass has a c39v2 and no one else is dumb enough to admit that here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Attached: 907.gif (499x499, 1.03M)

That mob mentality is what killed /akg/, too many newfriends trying too hard to fit in. The snake ate itself

Source?

Oof, surely this is bait

Why did /akg/ have to go wrong? Why couldn't this thread have just died after 762?

Oh that’s not really a worthwhile thing to do. By the time you buy them for $30ish each and pay for shipping, then sell them on AK files for $45...you’d better be moving a lot to make it worthwhile.

>still don't have a 7.62 bake mag
>they're close to $100 on GunBroker now
How do convince someone to sell me one at a normal price? I just want to own one for the sake of collecting.

>source
/akg/
/akou/

If you're just gonna own one get it for $50-$65.

I can't find one at that price either. They're all going around $75 to $100 now. It's ridiculous.

C39 being bad isn't mob mentality, its common knowledge.

>source
>/akg/
he's right you know, you've been downvoted

Get fucked then, shoulda bought sooner.

That was just the bolt, doofus

I hope you paid the MSRP $950 for that piece of shit. This brightened my day, glad i could have a hearty laugh at your expense

Attached: C39v2.png (1288x816, 1009K)

I don't pretend to understand the mind of a scalper. Fortunately I have a lot of these now lol.

1175 after taxes, not mad at all

That sucks. I have 6 or 7 I got for good deals over time. Favorite is my Cyrillic one. Then there’s my unused 40 round 7.62 bakes...those I paid too much for.
Yeah man who knows. I just ordered 10 when I got my SLR-106 and couldn’t find any circle 10s for sale. Had no idea these were sometimes hard to get.

Attached: C4B47104-3CAA-4F6A-A32A-21DFFB697B29.jpg (4032x3024, 1.9M)

Don't reply, you're getting baited. Ignore the faggot and he'll go away.

Join the Files, freakazoid. It's cozy.

Are Waffen Werks AK-74's any good?

If it has a nodak spud receiver yes, if it’s a waffen werks receiver avoid.

Attached: 1480546405738.jpg (635x640, 59K)

>moderator approval
>want your actual location
>filled with scalping fudds
Sounds awful.