Enfield thread

I dont know much about Lee Enfield's, to be honest. BUT today I acquired a 1942 enfield 1 mk iii.

from what research ive done it is Indian made and called ishapore or something. its in great condition, all matching yellow wood, clean bore and strong rifling, honestly a 9/10 condition.

Whats something like this even worth? i found one on armslist for $750. is that about right? its stamped 1942 GRI, so im positive its in 303 brit

Attached: Short_Magazine_Lee-Enfield_Mk_1_(1903)_-_UK_-_cal_303_British_-_Armémuseum-1.jpg (2200x1100, 420K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gunbroker.com/item/804828359
gunpartscorp.com/products/1251690
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Keith
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If its actually in good condition and unaltered its worth like $400ish

Indian :(

It isn't 2007 anymore.

I don't know where people come up with $600 or below for an Enfield now-a-days

The Indian ones are fetching about that price. Hell, I saw a SA contract No.4 go for under $500 on gunbroker.

>dad gives me a 1944 Longbranch #4 mk I
>first gun I owned
>it's sporterized.

I love my Enfield but I'm always embarrassed to take it out to the range. I should restore the damn thing but I'm too lazy

Does it still have the bayonet lug on the end? Restore that girl before wood is too expensive. I did it with my late father's longbranch.

Attached: 20180921_183407-1940x3991.jpg (1940x3991, 2.03M)

Naw man, it's been chopped. Ignore the rustington.

Attached: rifles.jpg (2048x1536, 364K)

>I saw a SA contract No.4 go for under $500
>OP has No 1 Mk iii

>I don't know where people come up with $600 or below for an Enfield now-a-days
>point out an Enfield that went for under $600

$750 is really steep for an SMLE, even in nice shape. Prices on GB are often set with a bit of optimism (IE fishing for idiots) and aren't always reflective of real street price.

You probably have a $400-500 rifle. It's certainly old and historically relevant. But they made millions of them, a lot of them are still on the market and .303 ammo is a little inconvenient to acquire so the prices have been static for a while.

>1 Enfield of many that sell well above that.
>Never seen rockislandauctions sale prices

>premier auction house that sells nice examples is representative of all Enfields.
I guess I shouldn't be this mean to someone with a disability

It's steep for an Ishapoo on the American market that's for sure. A matching lithgow would easily be worth that.

Make sure you clean the encrusted shit out of the barrel.

where to find one at a cheap price bros?

I bought a couple unaltered ones for around 300-400 each. No chance in hell I would pay for one for 500 and over, although people do.

The ones I got aren't in great shape but they work and aren't missing anything, nor cracked, nor overly pitted.

100% possible to go under 600 online.

Here's my 42 smle next to my yugo mauser.

Attached: 20181016_134358.jpg (4032x3024, 3.56M)

Paid $300 a month ago. Try looking harder than not at all.

Attached: 20190203_094820.jpg (3845x901, 3.18M)

Recently went into our family gun vault and found an old M1917 Enfield rifle with a leather sling and the word "OGEK" upside down on the left side of it. Apparently belonged to my great grandfather long ago. Some family member said he used it in a war or something. I might want to use it one day, but no ammo, and it's special to my grandfather.

>no ammo
Go buy some 30-06

Attached: 20180921_183752-1470x3024.jpg (1470x3024, 1.32M)

Maybe sometime, might use it for the impending flood about to hit my area to take out some looters. Don't know yet.

burrrpmp

I have two matching Lithgows. Once has an H barrel.

I want an SMLE so fucking badly. I wish they were this price in my country. Starting price is $750 for the ones missing sights, damaged stocks, no magazine cut off. Anything decent quality and matching numbers you're looking at $950-1100. Pls send SMLEs America.

Where are you?

where do you live? england?

Though getting a mag cutoff is tricky everywhere...

I like them both a lot. Rapid firing No.4 while peasants with mausers and mosins are bashing their bolts... priceless.

Attached: sdf_.jpg (1263x711, 321K)

These days it seems like all the Enfields I see which are in the great shame have been imported from N. America. I dunno where you are the in the UK most of them have been shot, sold, bough, shot again, rebarreled, fucked with, shot, sold, bought and shot some more in a never ending cycle for the last half century and more. They're worn out while all the fresh ones are recent imports.

Attached: 20180616_155808.jpg (1152x2048, 2.65M)

Got a post war Indian made Enfield for 250 last month. Indian ones are definitely still under 500

There's a longbranch no4 mk1 at a local shop for 425

Take any price you find on armslist and divide it by 3, and that's the average price

The good news is that even if you overpaid, surpcisnt getting cheaper, so just hold onto it. I bought a k31 for 450$ and “overpaid” by about 75$ at the time

Hey fellas. Working on restoring a mk2 stock to a mk1 to put on a bubba. So far I only have 2 Enfield, this one being a rescue.

Attached: 20190322_162603.jpg (4032x3024, 2.94M)

This. I bought an Ishapore about a year ago for $300+tax, and I bought a No I MK III, refinished but beautiful, for $50. Dont play stupid games and you wont win stupid prizes.

Anyone know what finish was on the regular steel buttplates for the no4 mk1? Also, what was typical on the No4 Mk1 T? Steel, brass, or the alloy?

Canada

I paid 300 for mine

Okay

whats the price difference between the no 1 mk IV and the no1 mk III?

the SMLE mk 3's look cooler

I got mine at the end of last year for 500. Its in fine condition. No cracks or scratches. The wood is a bit dark, but whatever.

Attached: DSCF9979.jpg (4288x2416, 3.88M)

I have a new No4 mk 2

Attached: enfield.png (1383x1037, 1.95M)

Just got a No. 4 Mk. 2 Irish contract with a perfect bore for $320 after tax. Still got cosmoline in the books. Has complicated would it be to fully break it down and clean it up?

That price is almost literally stealing mate. Not too hard to take apart and clean, I had to do that to mine too.

Attached: ew lee.png (1383x1037, 1.73M)

Holy shit you thief. The hardest thing to do is remove the fore stock. DO NOT remove it by using the barrel end of the stock like a lever. Grasp around the magwell and pull straight down. Be careful, stock fit is very important.

That's what I'm worried about, the "bedding" or whatever. Should also mention all the serial numbers match. Some old boomer sold his collection to an LGS before he kicked the bucket. Shop owner said he got about 20 from the guy, there were 8 on the shelf went I went to buy. Owner couldn't figure out what it was so I was marked the cheapest. From the looks of it boomer got it in the mummy wrap, opened it then stuck it in a closet for how ever long.

Christ. You made out like a madman. Enfield bedding is funky. If you're not confident don't do it, leaving it won't hurt

Any idea on the value? The stock is in good condition but I think it's still got packing grease embedded. I've heard various things about the Irish contract rifles worth.

I've seen them sell for as much as $900 for un-fired out of mummy wrap. They have also sold for less, so take it as you will

gunbroker.com/item/804828359
Heres one

mad minute?

Thanks guys. I figured I could make a profit off it just because I got it so cheap. I dont plan on flipping it, but years from now maybe.

>enfield thread
c-can i play too guys?

Attached: 2313132321313.jpg (980x735, 275K)

I mean yeah, its an enfield alright,

enfield is just one gun that does nothing for me. maybe someday.

What are you doing to the stock?

Oil black or hot blued. Ts were usually brass, but if needed they'd have just used some other buttplate.

There's no magic in there, just don't pry the stock off or pull it off muzzle end first while the receiver end is still firm to the metal. I take the handguads off then tap the stock gently either side of the receiver and ease it off straight. Sometimes I will put the butt under my arm and the muzzle between my feet, leaving the stock free, then just 'slap' it downwards with one hand either side of the receiver.

Watch some youtube videos or something. Don't end up being the pathetic, causal pleb faggot who can't/is afraid to take his own rifle apart.

I fiddle with shit all the time. Just dont want to muss up a beautiful old rifle. There's shockingly few videos of a full disassembly, granted I didn't look too hard.

I love how the action cocks when you pull the bolt to the rear, I wish more modern bolt guns incorporated that feature somehow.

It's very easy to do, really. It's worth it to gain an understanding of the bedding and to clean out the shit that's in there.

I patched the hole that was in the side of it and I cut out that recessed you see in the back as it was meant for a mk 2

Interesting. You going to put a cross-bolt through it like a real Mk2 stock?

They're cheap in the UK. Look at importing one to the USA, after the fees you're still looking at something cheaper than one sold domestically.

No I'm going from mk2 to mk1 so I am going to fill the gap where the trigger hangs and I cut a slot for that reenforcement bar on the back

I must be retarded, excuse me. I had that the wrong way around.

Let it be known the only reason I'm doing this is because Mk 1 forends are so expensive.

Any idea on how to simulate either of those finishes? I have a steel Enfield butt plate with alot of rust on it. I need to try to refinish it. Considering cold bluing even though it wont be right to protect it.

My great grandfather was an organizer for the Steelworkers union and was outfitted with a m1917 and 1911 pistol. We have no idea what happened to the pistol but we still have the rifle. Looks perfect, and the only problem is that the shells won't extract.

>tfw I’ve bought two enfields this year
>1919 Lithgow No1 in beautiful shape for $450ish on gunbroker
>1942 No4Mk1 for $350 shipped on akfiles
Saw another one on AKfiles for the same price recently but I missed it

If you have to ask then the answer is there's no way for you to do it without it being a lot of work. Best thing would just be to buy another buttplate, but I don't advocate swapping parts without a good reason. And my limited experience with cold bluing is that it's shit for larger parts, it's passable as a touch up but not much beyond that.

This is on a mk1 which was sporterized and I am restoring so there is no historical value here now.

Fair game, then. But I still think just buying one you want is your best bet.

Progress being made

Attached: 155335848266533433758159378478.jpg (4032x3024, 2.95M)

Suggestions for staining a lighter shade of walnut darker?

Also, where can I get the rear handguard band screw? I cannot find them anywhere

anyone?

I guess some stain would do it, but it might look obvious which IMO isn't a good look. If you have like 60 years then a lot of raw linseed oil in the wood will darken it better than anything else.

Attached: 1512680635234.jpg (3024x4032, 1.6M)

The one on top is exactly the way my no2 mk4 is too
Anybody have insight as to restoration? Aside from being chopped it's all original parts with no modifications it seems

well I just tried some shit on the rifle and the forend and buttstock match very well. Handguards are a different story. Much work to be done still.

Im in the middle of a similar project currently. Im the guy posting about staining. I picked up a similar no4 mk1 for 150.

Yes but that doesn't give me any information about finding the proper wood pieces to restore my weapon

Well I expected you to start asking specific questions and no expect me to spoon feed you a guide book. I will say you need to get a no4 mk2 stock from Numirch before they sell out. I am modifying the mk2 to my mk1 because the wood is good. I did get a Isshy stock with a bolt through it so I had to patch that.

I got this last week at Cabelas for $300

Attached: Attach7822_20190321_165739~01.jpg (1200x1920, 689K)

By stock are you also including the butt? My butt is untouched, it's everything ahead of it but since the other pieces are modified does it mean im forced to replace all wooden pieces?

No the foreend. Mine arrived with no metal however so you will need that too.

gunpartscorp.com/products/1251690

I'll have to give all of that a look
Good to have a strong starting point though

The rifle on top is my project piece which was a bubba rifle and the one on bottom is an all original I own.

After a days worth of work on the wood stripping and degreasing etc I managed to get the wood close with a mix of brown polishing oil and shoe wax. I think its damn close.

Attached: enfield project.png (2012x693, 2.3M)

You can just barely make it out but there is also a plug I placed in the hole where the ishapore screw was. Damn im proud. not going to lie haha.

bump for feed back on stock color. Not looking for actual dick sucking. I am biased and want to know if I am just not seeing a big problem.

Befriend some old boomers before they die and their kids turn their old icky guns in for destruction. That's where all the Enfields are in Canada.

$250-$400 is the going rate for indian enfields. just because some moron like you shells out $600 for a poo doesnt make it the market rate

$800 if its already out of the wrap, about $1200 if still in the wrap

About to buy a Lithgow Enfield for 400.
It's my first gun too. Wish me luck Jow Forums

Not a bad gun desu senpai

I have a range really close by and I plan on picking up a 500 box of .303 later on to try it out. Is there anything I should know?

Damn, cut the magazine down too, if you didn't already say its an Ishy I might have thought Bubba chopped up a commercial version

OGEK

Ogden Arsenal
Elmer Keith en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Keith

So Rem, Win, or Eddystone?

Date and manufacturer of the Mk III kudasai ne sempai

Is that a Martini-Henry or Martini-Enfield?

Attached: IMG_3068.jpg (943x1020, 286K)

Commies go and stay go

Attached: 00848240-431F-4C28-B83B-947D81EB8330.png (313x313, 36K)