Medieval Experts - What Weapon Would a Super Strong/Large Warrior Use?

Sup bitches.

I need some medieval fuckers to tell me what kind of weapon is most ideal for an 8ft tall juggernaut warrior blessed by the gods with insane strength and stamina.

I'd like it to be realistic, but I'm not super interested in just another generic greatsword.

I'm a published writer, give me some good suggestions and I might credit /k if I'm feeling particularly autistic.

Attached: Preview 01_3.png (912x912, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U2GLbXR3-HI
youtube.com/watch?v=UjRpXu2wZ2o
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZmlJTbxxZg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

a gun.

A dwarves contraption of what can only be described as a chainsword with a wind-up mechanism and a trigger release.

A longer spear then anyone else.

Dude, even Rob Roy, who was arguably one of the few great swordsmen that lived to die of old age, was a short cunt with long arms swinging a greatsword around like a twirly baton.

>8ft tall juggernaut warrior blessed by the gods with insane strength and stamina
Literally hauling a cannon around.

I swear to fucken god if I have to ask a question like this on Reddit I'll cut off my own nuts

super strength generally allows one to more effective use mass weapons such as warhammers and maces or disbalanced weapons like axes
as it allows you to recover from a missed attack more quickly

putting that much strength on a very small point, like with a spear or warpick, would also allow greater penetration of armor

>wants it to be realistic
>gods, superhumans, non generic weapons
He'd probably be 5'6 and use a generic longsword or spear faggot

>an 8ft tall juggernaut warrior blessed by the gods with insane strength and stamina.
pic related

Attached: grutte pier's sword.jpg (672x910, 64K)

Mauls.
Double-Headed axes.
Polearms.
Basically anything that takes advantage of the massive strength and reach that a hypothetical 8 foot tall would have.

That's what I was thinking.
What do you think about a greatsword with a flared axe-type tip. Would something like that work?

give him a hand cannon

I'm not ripping off Berserk. Leave that masterpiece alone.

Just because someone is a human giant doesn't mean I want him to be using a fucken tree sized buster sword you fucken degenerate.

Great Longbows, 200lb+ draw force. Contrary to common perception that bows are for lithe sticc-figured sissies, bows are actually very upper-body strength dependant. It is after all, leaf springs used to propel thicker-than-thumb maille-piercing bodkin arrow or gambeson-cutting broadheads, it has to be stiff to launch it with significant force as a viable man-stopper in the field - those aren't target shooting bows.
You can imagine someone that able to stretch 120-180lb draw weight in 12 reps per minute to be herculean.

So much so, skeletons belonging to Longbowmen can be identified by their enlarged arms and shoulders growing bony spurs where their muscles attaches to their bones, as their weapon shape their body so.

Attached: 1531826291623.jpg (1322x1000, 321K)

P O L L A X E
O
L
L
A
X
E

Non-polearm faggots need not apply

Attached: b3031b.jpg?.jpg (1280x960, 303K)

What kind of medieval material would be used to make such a bow for someone so strong?

That's retarded.

I think it would have to be too big to be called a sword

Its the perfect shape to shove up the ass of a bitch like you.

I'll concede that but it's still a retarded option for fighting with.

Yew, just like any traditional English Longbow
Elm, if want to use the original Welsh, pre-English adoption. Shot differently, with close range direct shot instead of long range volleys Longbows later famous for.
Horn-and-Sinew Composite. Can do a giant Composite instead the short ones. The Han Chinese made 500lb draw with 19 inch
powerstroke composite prods, but only for Crossbows (because the archer could only stretch it using both of their arms and legs). Imagine making a handbow version of it.
Steel. Medieval Europeans used steel for 1200lb crossbow prods with 7 inch powerstroke. Steel bows were also made in medieval India, of course much weaker with much longer powerstroke.

Attached: ballesteros-genoveses.jpg (1357x900, 244K)

So you can actually use a steel bow? That's pretty damn cool desu.

How did they typically carry their bows? Were they strung all the time? If someone were to go on a very long journey, what would be the best way to carry this weapon?

If these questions are retarded well, that's why I'm here now.

he would likely use a pole axe that is above normal size
keep in mind that strength =/= weight so make sure to add a detail about using armor as a counter weight so he doesn't throw himself off balance when swinging/thrusting

pic related

Attached: pole_axe.jpg (600x300, 30K)

With the strength of this guy, would the material used to make the pole axe still be made out of wood? I know this might be a stupid question, but again that's why I am here.

Would metal work, or would it simplly be too heavy even for someone like that?

it doesn't matter how strong you are if you are not heavy enough to keep your footing. imagine swinging an object half your weight, you will end up knocking yourself off balance or falling over.

Would a really gigantic bat or club be an option? With alot of mass and velocity, it would cause a lot of blunt damage.

Attached: 1517440944978m.jpg (1024x746, 76K)

Yes. Here's an 19th century Indian steel bow

Attached: 1420500674267.jpg (680x479, 17K)

Is it possible for someone to add a counterweight to his armor to increase his footing? If strength isn't an issue, is this possible?

I was also thinking about one of those Eastern style war clubs that you see in For Honor.

They unstrung it for long journeys, keeping both the bow and the string inside pouches to keep it dry. Wet string and bow don't perform well. Worse for traditional composite bows, as the natural glue holding it together can dissove if wet.

Attached: buhjk.jpg (1131x947, 185K)

>counterweight
retard

War hammers and war axes are LIGHTER than sledgehammers and felling axes. If the weapon you are using is too heavy for you to keep your balance then it is a stupid weapon to fight with. It doesn't matter how many peasant ribs you can crack at once if you cannot DEFEND yourself.

The same shit as everyone else, go back to /v/

No one is asking for your opinion. Swords are for more than just dildos, but I'm not sure you would know that. Sorry that bothers you.

Hey, its a viable option.
youtube.com/watch?v=U2GLbXR3-HI
This, but since OP asked for medieval, use more primitive model such as this Hussite Tarasnice from the early to mid 1400s

Attached: tarasnice.jpg (700x380, 26K)

Thanks, your contribution has been helpful af and I appreciate it man.

Attached: vwlsi8ctp9721.jpg (1125x1125, 390K)

buster sword.

non-meme answer: depends on the location. zweihander, flamberge, bastard sword are all options. also depends on when you mean, early or high middle ages.

Attached: bugsbuster.jpg (712x864, 80K)

Copy Guts

That's for more unconventional ranged demigod option. Most people don't realize that Herakles was told as a great archer. For melee option, others already said: Greatswords and Polearms, what else?

Regular weapons but 20% longer.

Square cube rule means that if you want to swing a sword as large as you, it's better to be a manlet than giant. Guns that normally would be crew served or pintle mounted are also doable, and great power is of great benefit to the Archer, as mentioned, but for melee weapons, take something normal and scale it up less than you scale up the dude. A little extra weapons reach and the natural reach advantage will combine to create something significant.

Just a longer spear.

Although, speaking of Longbowmen, they usually also carried mallets in their march, for encamping purposes. Most importantly, those mallets are used to hammer down stakes in front of their position to deter French Knight charges. If the the enemy can get through the Polearmed Dismounted English Knight and Billmen lines, the mallets could be used to bash some heads, why not.
For someone his size, he can carry a full sized sidesword as if its an archer's dagger, or imagine: arming sword-sized bollock dagger.

Don't skimp on armour too. He's a big guy, meaning a big target. An open-faced, brimless helmet such as open sallet/bascinet/barbute/conical/skullcap with brigandine vest+short-sleeved maille haubergeon shouldn't be too heavy for him. Open faced brimless and no metal gauntlet because he's an archer, can't wear anything that may hinder strings.

Attached: arqueros-inglese.jpg (1310x900, 360K)

Attached: Military_Cleaver_%28Warband%29.png (180x149, 11K)

A fuck huge sword should be skinny not thicc. if you want mass behind the chop use a a fucking axe.

>I'd like it to be realistic, but I'm not super interested in just another generic greatsword.

Two-handed axe. Fights with shield-bearers guarding his flanks so he can focus on killing things.

there are examples of metal hafted pol-arms, the haft tends to be hollow if its made of metal so that could be used, or you could reinforce the haft with metal plates down the entirety of the haft, if you look at the top third of the haft just copy that down the rest of it.

learn some physics brainlet

i can't tell if you are agreeing with me or did not actually get my point.

My point is a weapon "half your weight" is not something that should even be considered, much less forewarned against.

Indeed. The usual weight of a longsword was about three pounds.

Speed is a *huge* advantage in combat.

>Id like it to be realistic but I dont want to be realistic.

I know there are some sources talking about giant guy during 100y war that travelled around and fought in tournaments and was using massive hammer in melees with great success, so feel free to look for it. But real answer is greatsword, maybe polaxe (properly sized for him), you would have hard time to find such guy using some shitty peasant weapon as any leader would understand the worth of guy as bodyguard or elite fighter and provide him with best equipment and training just to have him on his side.

I've actually seen one in les Invalides. I'll see if I can find it in my pictures from there.

Depends what sort of activity he is engaging with. Is he a warrior or just a wandering fighter. Also, what sort of Middle-ages are we talking about? Charlemagne's days? Crusades? HYW?

Regardless, a giant bow is an answer. Super-strong archers aren't that common and it still makes sense.

This or two swords if he is just going into unarmored fights. But the long sword is the size of a large longsword, the short sword is just a normal arming sword.

Attached: kuniyoshi.jpg (750x1106, 209K)

Large shield and spear.

youtube.com/watch?v=UjRpXu2wZ2o

Give him a huge fucking cudgel. Mace, hammer, a damn tree trunk, make him crush bones.
Of course, he'd probably be killed by some manlet with a rock and a sling, but it's worth it.

Giant mace or hammer, maybe? Something so large that it just obliterates anyone that gets hit.

A massive polearm.

Pikes were great in formation, but ass by yourself because of how long and unwieldy they were. In theory, a giant man might be to use it like a normal guy uses a normal spear, being able to outreach everyone in a melee.

You could also go smash-y slash-y approach and give him a glaive. In the Qing dynasty (which is more contemporaneous with the Renaissance but whatever) made massive guandaos that weighed 48 kilos or more as a strength testing exercise for military officers. Something that heavy is way too impractical for combat, but if your giant guy can swing it easy, then he could probably cut a guy half with it.

Attached: chinese-guandao.jpg (1306x435, 82K)

The exact same thing a normal height, strong man would use.

Just longer.

>that squad fuckboy on the left though

If you want to be unique just give him a massive shield and a flail or mace. Despite being shit weapons, make him ungodly skilled with the flail, and give the shield some sort of blessing or enchantment. Also you could just focus on the shield as his primary weapon, having him grab whatever weapon is close by when hes in need of a blade.

That fuccboi is unironically a mandatory part of the Lance Fournies (basically the medieval squad led by a knight). This is in particular an 1471 Abbeville Ordnance Burgundian Lance Fournies. Each realm has their own different organization for the Lance.

Each Lance shall be led by one Man at Arms (the fully decked one at the center), includes: one Coustillier ("daggermen", sergeant at arms mounted on warhorse too, slightly less armed), one noncombatant Page (the aforementioned fuccboi squire), three mounted archers (can't actually shoot while mounted like real horse archer, they're more like dragoon, only mounted with cheapest horses possible to keep pace with the man at arms and coustillier, dismounting for combat); and three footmen (in this case the pikemen, crossbowmen, and handgunner)

Thanks for everyone that has suggested shit so far, you guys have been a big help.

More pictures would be nice though.

Attached: images (1).jpg (316x160, 11K)

This, desu. Swords don't actually require that much strength to wield. Overall, heavy warbows 120+ lbs, are more suited to a big, strong physique.

HALBERD

The Glave looks amazing, but would it do well against armor?

So what would he use as a backup weapon though?

A longsword? Archers had swords themselves for backup and sometimes bucklers as well. There's no reason to not go the same route.

Attached: pauluskal.jpg (1248x1325, 482K)

Fuckhueg bow with arrows the size of small lances.

Thing is, swords aren't very heavy. They rely on being sharp and swung quickly. I'd go with some kind of makeshift club. A big ass rock tied to a tree limb or something.

A large weighted chain he uses to unhorse people and smash them with.

Relatively big boi here and this is immediately what I thought when considering fighting a manlet that is a more skilled fighter than me.

If I had a huge tower shield there is fuckall he could do but get rammed onto his ass or at least have his footing messed up momentarily. From there I have an advantage with whatever suits me, probably an axe or mace, because stopping the swing isn't a huge deal if I can attack from an angle where he cant effectively fight back or just cover the recovery with the shield, and I'd want to do as much damage as possible during the momentary opening.

Downside is I'd probably get tired really really fast.

a super strong warrior would propably use a mace/club and a shield.
A shield is a cover that works out very well as a nasty pludgeoning weapon.
You dont just cover behind it, you smack people with it.
A mace, because a super strong fighter would just bend and dull his sword smashing it into enemy armor. Because concussive damage is a fucking thing.

A longbow.

What was the purpose of the page :0

The Dragonslayer

So what kind of bow you choose? Oh right, don't use the crossbow prod numbers, thats for cranequin-drawn arbalests. I reckon your 8ft giant would use 8ft long with 36 inch draw instead of normal 6ft 6 inch longbow with 30 inch draw. Or you wanna go more to recurved steel bow?

Anyway, giant bow for giant men, meaning giant arrows, but that might be hard to come by, most of the time he can only get normal sized arrows. So I'm thinking, maybe he can also have some sort of overdraw device to shoot arrows shorter than his bow supposed to shoot. Thing is, overdraw devices were never used with longbow (Roman Solenarion, Turkish Majra and Siper, Chinese Tongjian are all used with recurved composite bow), but I don't think its impossible to design a realistically designed fantasy world overdraw device.
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZmlJTbxxZg

Attached: P1090481.jpg (2422x1614, 2.49M)

Serving the Knight. Bringing him unbroken lances, carry messages, helping the knight wear his armour, and more. Being a Squire isn't a lowly thing, most Knights starts as a Squire to other Knights.

even better, a longsword would feel as if its a shortsword for someone of his size
The guy practically can bring mantlets/barn doors as his Pavise

Attached: bucrnnvmwxcz.jpg (600x600, 75K)

Longbowmen's Maul?

Attached: 3458a158ff1b0b27908f55c1152c252b.jpg (1769x1110, 267K)

Attached: 1550244998317.png (478x355, 277K)

Sex

Well I'm prob gonna go with the steel bow. And the overdraw device is an amazing idea, I never thought of that. Again, I'm grateful I posted here instead of just BSing my way through it.

He'd prob have some massive arrows, but keep them for emergencies.

I still wonder if there is a way for him to keep the bow on his back while he carries a massive tower shield and mace. He could use the tower shield as makeshift cover, the bow to shoot behind it, and the mace as a melee weapon.

Is that realistic or would it be too hard to carry?

Aye, 'tis harvestin' season again.

A Maul

ZWEIHANDER

The exact same weapons as everyone else but swung with greater tenacity and fervour.

I'LL DRINK FROM YOUR SKULL

eh, sounds like a hassle, but the guy supposed to be a superhuman, so he maybe can, but not comfortable to do.

Grutte Pier never had anything to do with that sword. Thats a ceremonial sword solely for representation duties and some 19th century cunt wrongly attributed it to Grutte Pier because it was so big.

>weapon is most ideal
A spear.

>for an 8ft tall juggernaut warrior blessed by the gods with insane strength and stamina.
A bigger spear.

That's assuming that he didn't get blasted by the first fusillade of arrows because every every archer wants that kill.

Sword- German Messer
Polearm- Bill Hook
Blunt- oversized ball mace or Warhammer

If you are a writer, you don't seem like a very good one. If you don't want "just another greatsword", write it to have certain elements. An engraved pommel or damascened blade. You obviously lack the descriptive talent to make your autistic story shine.

I'm a biggun too, and I have firsthand shields experience, that'swhere I got the idea myself. It's a hell of a tool when you know how to use it.

No, generic HEMAfag. Messer is idiotic and shows you just watch videos. You know nothing about writing, considering you think "an engraved pommel" would interest any reader. Unless of course you're writing you gay little HEMA fantasies for your fellow faggots, in which case they'd love details of the pommel they'd be anally inserting.

Attached: masterbait.jpg (430x323, 21K)

thx fren

Attached: hug.png (288x175, 7K)

Well, if we're going biblical: the jawbone of an ass.

Either some kind of great sword or a halberd. I’d go with a large halberd.

Attached: oglaf-so thirsty.jpg (760x596, 192K)