Which is a better rifle, M&P sport or Ruger AR 556?

Which is a better rifle, M&P sport or Ruger AR 556?

and is there an equally as inexpensive rifle that comes with a free float rail that isnt shit?

Attached: ar 556.jpg (825x730, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

davidsondefense.com/
everygunpart.com/#header-nav
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just machine the parts yourself, you huge faggot.

Both are fine entry-level ARs. Buy either in confidence.

M&P is better.

Buy an Aero

Ruger makes the ar556 with a free float for like an extra 50 bucks or some shit.

>inexpensive
>isnt shit
Pick one.

That said, go buy a PSA upper and lower and put them together yourself if you want a poorfag build with a floating rail.

A "shit" AR is better than 90% of rifles on the market.

can't go wrong with ruger but god damn learn how to not impulse spend save a bit longer if you want something bette. With the AR market the way it is there's no excuse to be some poorfag faggot replacing all the parts in your AR when you can just buy and build exactly what you want from the get go

some people call these guns "entry level" or just outright "shit" but I legitimately dont understand the difference in a high end and low end AR.

Forgive me for being a literal brainlet, what is the actual difference? will the parts wear out faster, are the barrels just turbo better? because most people I ask just wear the price tag of their guns around like trophies and maybe I could understand if they ran 20,000 rounds through their guns but I dont see many people doing that, including myself to be frank, thats a lot of money to dump into even a 1000 dollar gun.

What am is my poorfaggot little brain missing about the price gap in ARs?

>some people call these guns "entry level" or just outright "shit" but I legitimately dont understand the difference in a high end and low end AR.
Finish and brand name are pretty much the biggest differences. Sometimes features. Sometimes quality in certain parts. Overall, it has more to do with dick waving than any real appreciable difference, especially since so many manufacturers build to mil-spec. Mostly, it's elitism.

The AR556 MPR comes with a free float. It's like $600 vs $490 for a regular AR556.

M&P15 is generally more well liked.

Literally no difference. It's masturbation. If you want to spend money, get a nice optic or something.

You understand

Attached: EE57E437-4DBF-41F6-904D-0DA16BB8A7C7.jpg (302x319, 15K)

>Literally no difference. It's masturbation. If you want to spend money, get a nice optic or something.
This is something I wish I knew a long time ago. Good optics are things of beauty and will do a lot more for the shooter than special rollmarks.

>The AR556 MPR comes with a free float. It's like $600
my new rifle is an MPR. solid ass rifle and feels great while holding. cant wait to shoot it.

Practically? Not much. If you have a $1500 optic or some nice grips, you'll obviously have a neat grip and some nice sights, but it's not like the gun's going to suddenly shoot differently or be more accurate than it inherently is. I'm sure there are some differences in quality insofar that certain brands may be more 'reliable' or 'solid' than others, but it's mostly richfags flaunting their shit. And I'm not even gonna say it's not nice, it looks pretty cool, but that's all it is.

Honestly, if you do anything with a gun, getting quality sights is a must. It won't make you a better shooter, but if you've ever used a high quality sight/optic system versus a low end one you'll never want to settle. Gear and accessories will never replace good fundamentals, but you should definitely plan on getting good optics.

There are a few differences.
>bolt head material
Is lower quality and will wear faster than a carpenter 158 bolt.
>barrel steel
Same deal 4140, lower quality than 4150. Wears faster and is less resistant to damage from over-heating.
>twist rate
Dunno about the ruger, but the M&P is 1/9. This twist rate is best suited to 55gr bullets. Most people dislike this despite shooting a lot of 55gr as cheapo range ammo, because they want the best performance from higher quality heavier ammo when they're shooting it. Older M&Ps were 1/8, which is pretty much the ideal best of both worlds.
>gas system
Carbine is just inferior to mid length for this barrel length. A mid length gun runs smoother and recoils less, it also further extends part lifespan
>charging handle
is flat inferior to any decent aftermarket or most higher end stock options
>trigger
same deal, it's just worse
>handguard
>grip
>stock
all are crap and you pretty much should just throw them away

In addition, real top tier ARs like a KAC have proprietary bolts that function even better than a normal higher end AR bolt. The difference isn't profound, but it is noticeable.

Can you make an M&P shoot just as good as a gucci rifle? Sure, just change literally every single part in it. You might look at some of the smaller differences and go "that's no big deal" but when taken as a whole, it adds up to a lot. At the end of the day though it's a 1.5 to 2 MOA rifle that is perfectly reliable. It will hit what you're aiming at to the maximum effective range of 5.56. If you want better performance, it's possible, but you'll have to pay for rapidly diminishing returns.

The Ruger has an untreated barrel. The M&P has a melonite treated barrel offering better rust resistance.

Both rifles are so good that I don’t see the point in getting a 700 to 1000$ one (major difference is going to be durability and not looking like a poorfag, that’s all). With AR’s either you go budget or you directly go premium (BCM, Noveske, Daniel Defense...).

Does any of that shit matter though? Would you be any less dead?

>You might look at some of the smaller differences and go "that's no big deal" but when taken as a whole, it adds up to a lot.
It doesn't. "m-muh charging handle!" Fuck off retard.

>Does any of that shit matter though?
Yes
>Would you be any less dead?
Maybe

Budget ARs are sufficient. I like shooting and I like ARs, so I want a little bit more than sufficient.

post your AR

Just snap an aero complete lower and upper together, slap on a cheap holosun, and boom. Perfect rifle.

OEM Aero Precision from brownells

It's a stock M&P15. Haven't even bothered with an optic. I probably make more money than you.

>The Ruger has an untreated barrel. The M&P has a melonite treated barrel offering better rust resistance.
False. The Ruger has a nitride finish. It is very literally the same thing. Melonite is a trademarked name for nitriding.
You might, I shoot mine more than you.

Can’t argue

Who cares? Listen nigger, you got called out for your meme bullshit, deal with it.

I don't really care about uninformed opinions user. Don't let me interrupt you wallowing in mediocrity.

based

>wahhhh
Fuck off.

I like how the only part you could respond to is one point I made out of a dozen, and your response is just screeching nigger and meme as if that makes your poorfaggotry acceptable.

When you kill yourself, remember not to do it with a gun.

None of your points meant anything. 4140 steel is fine, does not make a noticeable difference. AR556 is even 4150. Gee whiz, your barrel wears out in 10% less time! Twist rate is preference and you can pick different guns with different twist rates. Gas system, sure you could get a dissipator, but you'll notice even guccifags rarely do this. Makes no real difference. MUH CHARGIN HANDLE. Nigger tier. Trigger. Who gives a fuck? Unless you GOTTA HAVE a 1 ounce trigger, literally means nothing. Handguard, stock M4 style literally fine. Grip, usually A2 style, literally fine. It's a fucking grip. Stock, usually m4 style, literally fine.

You're a dumbass fucking nigger who probably is a soft handed pussy.

>w-who cares if every single part in the gun is inferior? It's just as good?

>"""inferior"""
>but not really
Fuck off, pussy.

You are both basketball Americans, but the cheap bastard is right, overpaying for an AR is faggotry.

>who cares if it wears faster? I'm not gonna actually shoot the thing
>who cares if the charging handle is smaller and non-ambidextrous, I've never timed a reload in my life
>who cares what the muzzle device is, I can't afford a suppressor
>who cares about gas system length, I've never shot a non-carbine
>who cares about triggers, I don't even know the difference between single stage and two stage
>who cares about the furniture, I have nothing to mount to it
>who cares about the stock and grip, I've only ever shot standing at dirt and never measured a group
>who cares about barrel twist, I've never bought anything that wasn't the cheapest thing in the gun store

No user, you're the porch monkey.

>I didn't know you can satisfy all of that without being a guccinigger
Well now you know, pussy. Next time, don't be such a bitch, alright?

Tell me user, where did /arg/ touch you to make you so hostile to the idea that a basic bitch walmart AR can be improved upon? Did Wuggy rape you with a charging handle or something?

Triggered, but in a hipster duel stage way.

Attached: 371D9FDB-8604-488E-BBC4-544701EB0BCB.jpg (223x250, 4K)

Dual, I mean. But I do want you shot.

Oh fuck off, faggot. You got btfo. You were trying to make it seem like there is a huge difference and there isn't. It's just utilitarian changes like wanting an mlok handguard, not OMG DAT HANDGUARD IS GUNNA EXPLODE SO TRASH.

I think you just BTFO'd yourself with all your butthurt user. From the get go I said
>At the end of the day though it's a 1.5 to 2 MOA rifle that is perfectly reliable. It will hit what you're aiming at to the maximum effective range of 5.56. If you want better performance, it's possible, but you'll have to pay for rapidly diminishing returns.
But you stopped reading at charging handle when it brought up your memories of being strapped to a chair and forcibly sodomized with a charging handle by a cabal of tripfags.

Attached: radian raptor.jpg (796x631, 100K)

Well said

there is no reason why either of you should own the AR15 military style rifle. It is the preferred weapon of child murderers.

>It is the preferred weapon of child murderers.
wtf i love ar 15s now!

>You might look at some of the smaller differences and go "that's no big deal" but when taken as a whole, it adds up to a lot
Fuck off retard. It adds up effectively zero. You mislead people who are new. The answer to the question is "No, there are no realistic differences."

Time to invest

You know what's also misleading? Treating these weapons of mass destruction as some new car you can customize and go riding down the strip to pick up the women. DOWN WITH CHILD MURDERING MONSTERS

You're like a wolf, strutting around with its smelly penis out and raping every child in sight

>next school shooter uses his penis to go on a killing spree

This bait needs retooling

older M&P owner here, all you need to make an M&P-15 shoot well is to free float the barrel. It's a mid tier AR with a very good barrel. The M&P-sport is a budget AR that does not have a good barrel, just an okay one.

Personally i recommend buying a mid tier AR like S&W, BCM, or Areo and then changing it as you get more into shooting it. I started with my M&P-15T, bought it the day I turned 18 and then added and changed things as I got more into shooting or as I tried other people's guns and liked optics or grips. If you know exactly what you want by all means build one from the ground up, but if you're just getting into ARs a mid tier one is a good place to start.

Also, the bolt, barrel, and gas port are the only things that effect mechanical precision on the AR. Everything else is you. If you're going to spend money, spend it on the barrel and on training.

Attached: block2ish.jpg (2048x1152, 324K)

>Im not going to actually shoot the thing.
Thats the truth of so many base model ARs. Retire to the closet and collect dust. If you're going to shoot 60 rounds on a range trip twice a year just buy the base model. You're never going to shoot at anything other than paper and $500 is plenty to tie up.

I like that PSA is out there making sure anyone who wants access to a AR can get one. It's important that people without means have access to the weapons of the times.

Pretending the difference between budget and Gucci doesn't matter...
>My Civic works just like your BMW, we both get from A to B....
Dude your arguing with can fuck right off.

the male sexuality is the reason guns are popular. the gun is a metaphor for the penis. every shot fired is a metaphorical ejaculation. This penis-centric thinking is one of the primary problems with male culture and why all people must stand up to toxic masculinity

OP if you're still here, do some reading into whether or not the Ruger is made using proprietary parts. They're probably both fine rifles and the appreciable difference between them will be almost nothing, but the big thing is the Ruger might have a few little things that are proprietary to the ruger brand like muzzle threading etc. Idk if that's still the case but it was a while ago when I last looked at Ruger ARs. Unless you really like one over the other, just go with whatever will have the most aftermarket compatibility, upgrade things over time as you personally want/need. Gucci high end ARs are all built to autistic specifications of their users. What might be fine for them isn't really fine or even remotely useful for you. As you use your AR over time you'll get used to it and find things you might want to change about it. Don't fall for the money pit meme especially if you're just getting into the rabbit hole that is AR and AR parts.
Also, most people say "entry level" is a total meme, there is no "entry level", most ARs are built to at the very least basic mil-spec shit. If it was good enough to kill goatfuckers overseas it'll be good for whatever it is you use it for on your own time. The rest is just gravy and frills.

>My Civic works just like your BMW
Dumb comparison. They're two completely different cars. AR15's specs are basically identical.

>Pretending the difference between budget and Gucci doesn't matter...
>>My Civic works just like your BMW, we both get from A to B....
It's true though. The only people who care you drive a BMW might be BMW fans or people who invest their self esteem in expensive objects. It's pure circle jerk material. That goes for most cars in general, only the really fringe or exciting things matter to the overwhelming majority.

The point was already made in this thread. A Civic and a Civic not made by Honda. This BMW argument is the reason people think you are a queer.

Attached: 8E513997-3A77-4AFE-8F6E-87A75C3A39CA.gif (350x263, 1.99M)

>who cares if the charging handle is smaller and non-ambidextrous, I've never timed a reload in my life
I’m left handed and bitchy about guns not having ambi options. That said I have never cared enough to swap out the charging handle. It’s such a minor thing it never bothered me. Take that as my 2 cent that it probably doesn’t matter much. That being said thanks to this fucking thread I’ll probably become hyper aware of it next range day.
>who cares about triggers, I don't even know the difference between single stage and two stage
Stock AR triggers are wholly adequate but wouldn’t chastise someone if they wanted an improvement.
>who cares about the furniture, I have nothing to mount to it
I never tacticooled out an AR but this is a valid point.
>who cares about the stock and grip, I've only ever shot standing at dirt and never measured a group
pic related
>who cares about barrel twist, I've never bought anything that wasn't the cheapest thing in the gun store
This is noticeable. My KelTec RDB loves heavy ammo with its 1/7 twist but gains about a 1.5” with cheap range crap.

Attached: 727C5594-FCA8-4AED-A01C-26FCC471ABA2.jpg (480x460, 44K)

>When you kill yourself, remember not to do it with a gun.

Attached: 1526220626905.jpg (1600x1205, 1.52M)

>shoot well is to free float the barrel
Free floating doesn't increase the accuracy you nignog.

Attached: 4D9A520F-8297-4691-BF08-EC816910C574.jpg (598x529, 34K)

Interesting. Some ARs are 2moa at best and others reliably do sub1. I guess all ARs are identical.
>Don't shoot it and they are exactly identical

>being this braindead
Did you shoot yourself in the head? Gotta watch out for that, kiddo.

>Also, the bolt, barrel, and gas port are the only things that effect mechanical precision on the AR.
>Everything else is you.
>If you're going to spend money, spend it on the barrel and on training.
This is very true, however I'd point out that things that improve ergonomics, handling, and perhaps most importantly trigger pull will improve your shooting significantly. It's no substitute to training or practice, but an enhancement. As you say, beyond a bare few parts everything is up to you. So giving yourself every advantage possible makes a great deal of difference.
Literally the first step to accurizing any rifle is to freefloat it.
>I’m left handed and bitchy about guns not having ambi options. That said I have never cared enough to swap out the charging handle.
Jesus dude, do it. I shoot rifles handed despite being right handed due to my fucked up eyes. The difference is ludicrous going from my rifle with a raptor ch to my strike industries non-ambi is bad. I guess it's not so bad on an AR because most of the time you have the bolt release, but still. It's a big difference. It's one of the things you don't care about until you experience the superior option though. Milspec never bothered me until I tried better.
>Stock AR triggers are wholly adequate
Agree. Nothing I've said in this thread should be taken to mean any part whatsoever on a stock AR is inadequate. You can shoot with deadly effectiveness until 5.56 itself loses effectiveness. What more can you ask of a gun? A lot, but that's a damn good start.
>my '99 civic is the exact same as your type R, it says so right on the registration paperwork bro

it does, because the biggest problem you will have with precision is any force applied to the barrel. Any time you grip the handguard that is not free floated or use a sling you will apply force to the barrel in a different way and that will cause a deviation in point of impact. I know this because I shoot ARs in CMP competitions at 600yds and the biggest thing you can do to improve performance is to free float, as then your shots won't pull left when you tighten your sling down like they do with pic related.

Attached: 16a4gery.jpg (2048x1152, 329K)

You're just wrong and it's ok. You're world won't be worse for it. Enjoy your brand loyalty or whatever it has you twisted. Deflect with insults to try and preserve your script. It doesn't change the fact you are just wrong on basic facts.

I like you user, you know your shit

Attached: ar in progress.jpg (450x800, 83K)

With all the aforementioned considered, here’s a very similar question.

The the M&P-10 a good entry level AR10?

Build on your budget..
davidsondefense.com/

Flip of a coin.

Entrylevel means it's cheap, and that it's pretty decent for what you pay for.
It's not going to be as nice as a Barrett or KAC or anything, but it'll be a good enough rifle.

You would not believe how many people here have trouble grasping this concept and think the only thing a FF handguard does is increase the mechanical accuracy of the rifle by 0.3 MOA.

Attached: WP_20180512_005.jpg (3072x1728, 1.17M)

Ruger MPR /thread.

Get the Ruger are 556 MPR version.

I know all of these things, but I just like the comfort of a handguard far more than the advantage of a free-float cheesegrater.

I would also like to add this link to supplement my previous post.

everygunpart.com/#header-nav