/brg/ - Battle Rifle General #23 - A New Start edition

Spring is here for all but the luckiest anons. Time to update those glamour shots, boys!
FAL grip angle proves no rifle is perfect.
Stretch your Taco hole: The dangers with 30rd mags of real fuckin NATO.
M1A SOCOM: PSA Daily Deal for $1200 and still won't sell out. Sad!
Best prices on FALs with a warrenty @Atlantic
Don't buy a Century.
SCAR 20 finally posted; top poorfag flex award goes to user; Barrett REC10 now moves into to the top spot. Happy hunting!
Tax returns almost completely converted into GSR.
PTR91: the used ones cost more.

Prev

Attached: 20190508_155711.jpg (3154x1657, 2.49M)

Other urls found in this thread:

triggerwork.net/contactinfo.html
triggerwork.net/hkbuffer.html
rimcountrymfg.com/product/rcm-psg1-trunnion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Where can I find 30rd FAL mags that aren’t fucking sold out

They pop up on gunbroker. Where I got mine

Is there any way I can make a CETME not shit? I'll drop the money on a PTR if I need to no problem but I just wanna know if a simple bolt change would make a CETME last way longer and would eliminate the issues

>M1A SOCOM: PSA Daily Deal for $1200 and still won't sell out. Sad!

I bought one of their M1A standards for 1199. Pretty good deal and can't buy a cheaper newly made M14 rifle of the same quality.

I am looking to save some money and get a classic looking FAL. 21 inch barrel, carry handle, etc. I was looking at the DSA SA5821S-A. Is that pretty much my best bet in terms of a new production FAL clone?

Yes but just get an 18"

I saw a cetme at cabellas and the welds were super shitty. ptr makes em brand new with steel lowers and quality new manufacture parts. The parts kits that century uses are like 99 dollars. Considering the price difference isnt outrageous just save your money and buy quality.

CETMEs use plastic receivers?

AI overlord has spoken

Attached: download (1).png (1051x243, 23K)

Attached: IMG_20190215_134417.jpg (3840x2160, 1.82M)

The trigger housing on both older ptrs and cetme are polymer I suppose I shouldnt have said reciever. Either way that part isnt the serialized one so you can change it, its just annoying to do.

Attached: Screenshot_20190508-092054~2.png (1433x1512, 305K)

I've only put 10 rounds through this because the sights were off and I'm scared to death of fucking with this absolutely perfect 1983 wood.
>It was just supposed to be a backup anyway

Attached: 2019-05-07_20-48-32.jpg (3840x1312, 686K)

You nailed it when you said buy a PTR. Those are American made, brand new parts. There are other options too. Oddly enough the finest made example of the cetme comes from Turkey out of Zennith. Yes, the TV manufacturer. Those cetme clones are top fucking notch.

Well almost a family photo

Attached: 20190508_155133.jpg (1961x1960, 2.31M)

stop thinking this way and enjoy the things you own.

lifes a garden, dig it

Attached: IMG_20180607_105340.jpg (720x960, 163K)

If you use a PTR super sniper barrel and a PTR bolt in a CETME build and replace the milspec trigger with something not shit and put it all in a PTR receiver will the gun be accurate?
I'm about to decide whether or not I want to go dick deep in a CETME C kit build.
I'm not building an AR10.

Just get the PTR bub at least it will hold its value

Which FAL configuration do you prefer?

>21" longboi
>18" para
>short ear blaster

12" AR10 SBR with a binary and one of those new Magpul 50rnd drums for a jungle blaster.

yea or nay

If PTR offered CHF barrelled rifles for an upcharge, they’d be absolutely perfect. Hoping Zenith’s Z3 will have a chf barrel gun for $1200~. But theyve been real quiet since the reveal.

On another note, I have a local seller who has a JLD rifle with original G3 barrel and guts and 30+ mags for $1200. Real tempting right now, but I already have a ptr

Congo

Just picked up a scar 17. Waiting for ffl now.
How rare are the magazines? Do I need to stock up on them while I can or can I slowly acquire them as time goes by?

>How rare are the magazines? Do I need to stock up on them while I can or can I slowly acquire them as time goes by?

They're not, and they're fairly affordable. Just buy as many as you think you need.

Thinking of "lightening" up my PTR for a more portable runaround gun.
Anyone have experience with Choate's folding stocks? They got their regular one and their "tactical" one in my pic.
Or should I just get a surplus A4 collapsable stock that almost everyone agrees isn't too fun to shoot a lot with?

Attached: choate.jpg (1298x418, 180K)

Are the "new" c308's any good? Or standard century crap?

Consensus seems to be that they're less terrible than old c308s, but still sub-par. If you can afford a few hundred dollars more, a PTR is the way to go.

my first suppressor host
I want that fuckin M110 stock but 500 dollarydoos is pretty retarded for an A2 with a fancy buttplate

Attached: 20190507_123434.jpg (4032x1960, 3.15M)

Someone else has one here already so wouldn't even been SCAR 20 tier Gucci

Morning frens

Attached: 20190428_173153.jpg (1454x1938, 1.1M)

These are surprisingly difficult rifles to get good photos of.

Attached: IMG_20190508_135105~5.jpg (4152x2397, 3.51M)

That's not the question I asked

I think I recognize that range... you on the central coast, dude?

Hello boys

Attached: IMG_20190423_104306.jpg (3200x2400, 2.08M)

How is that Malay stuff?

Also does anyone know anything about the Pakistani or Indian Fuggin NATO surp? I know the Ethiopian stuff is bad.

No problems with it, not very clean but not the dirtiest. I don't know, my standards are low.
It goes bang when I pull the trigger and the rifle fucks up the brass, so pretty much what I expected.

Tried my FAL magazine with some snap cap rounds, loading more than one round in it causes them to jump out from the slightest hit. I guess the lips are too worn, so they don't hold the rounds in place. Is there any hope for fixing this, or should I just look for newer mags? I'd rather not buy new ones since they cost around 30€ a pop.

Bend the lips down

it's not 2012 anymore user. welcome to the scar club.

Attached: IMG_20190325_164812.jpg (2250x4000, 2.15M)

Is that a pmag lower?

also can vouch for the maylay ammo, 400 rounds and not a single issue. cool milsurp packaging too. almost feel bad shooting it.

You dishonor the leather sling by pairing it with poly furniture. Only woodbois get the leather. You have to get a nylon one.

On a more serious note though I fucking hate the 3 point sling attachment ring on the wide and slim handguards. Is there a wide variant that doesn't have it?

I agree lol I was seriously thinking the same the other day when I was trying to get a pic of my new refinished wood set

no

Attached: IMG_20190509_130558.jpg (98x101, 4K)

>"lightening" up my PTR
>installing a heavier stock assembly.

If you want to lighten it up, then it doesnt get much lighter than all polymer furniture, including the Navy lower instead of the steel gi. Aside from that there's not a whole lot of weight savings to be had other than a 16" barrel

>Hoping Zenith’s Z3 will have a chf barrel gun for $1200~

Not a chance. The regular Z3 rifle has an MSRP of $2k.

If you get a decently made one and put money into it then maybe. But at that price point just buy the PTR.
>former c308 owner

cover it with tape or snip it off.
the metal ones appear to not have one, best of luck finding one like pic related

Just bought a scope for my PTR, but I'm still deciding on a mount. Any mounts you guys know of that'll let me still see the irons underneath?

slo county cali

Attached: 20181209_085616.jpg (4972x2492, 3.72M)

Honestly just get some Bren L4 mags and re-spring

Is there any way I can make a CETME not shit?
You are stuck with the shit sights I'm pretty sure but:
>Buy a bunch of locking pieces and rollers of varying sizes as well as headspace gauges, you should be able to dial in the reliability. Used to be able to find CETME armorers kits for this task.
>go with the extended buffer mod
>Use G3 aluminum mags exclusively
>Get a scope mount, everything else is ergonomic issues.
>Kinda doubt just swapping the bolt will work, it might, but I'm unsure how different the CETME bolt is from the G3 - I don't think it is very different if at all.

IMO though still go ahead and buy a PTR

How many people will have to tell him?

You probably would get it very accurate but that would not be cost effective, buying a heavy barrel PTR would be cost effective.
It isn't easy to swap barrels out of G3/CETME rifles, it's well beyond the expertise of most gunsmiths so you would be stuck relying on HK builders/the type of smiths on HK forums

The Zenith Z3 is literally a carbon copy G3A3 aimed primarily at the registered HK auto sear crowd & the authenticity crowd (the people who currently own HK91's and want something they can shoot and enjoy)

This is as light as you can go
>Polymer trigger housing
>Slim handguard
>Conventional polymer stock
>Welded rails - because for the alternative - the second you mount a claw mount rail like a B&T you lose all your weight savings

Honestly the Choate folders look better on shorter rifles IMO.

>Or should I just get a surplus A4 collapsable stock that almost everyone agrees isn't too fun to shoot a lot with?
It isn't as bad as everyone says, but it is more stout than the conventional stock

Several options for reducing recoil:

A: Buy new manufacture buffer parts from HKparts or RTG

B: Buy a slip on recoil pad

C: send off your stock to Bill Springfield
triggerwork.net/contactinfo.html
He can supply and/or install an enhanced buffer from RCM - this will reduce felt recoil ~30%
triggerwork.net/hkbuffer.html
He should also be able MILL new slots into the collapsible stock forks so you have more than 2 settings

An addendum:
The A4 collapsible is HEAVIER than the conventional polymer stock, but it does make the rifle considerably shorter collapsed, so much so that I can easily strap it down to a pack.
Most A4 stocks are surplus and have worn/old parts in them so just replacing the parts with new will give you some recoil reduction

Last statement is incorrect. PTR uses new parts in their stock assemblies and actually there is much debate that new buffers including the heavy ones actually exhibit more recoil than broken in ones. Even the pcs buffer claims it works best after it's broken in.

Everyone desu, a CETME is either

A: Runs okay most of the time, ejects weak, 3-5MOA

B: doesn't run, still shit

The best answer for these faggots that don't want to accept they done goofed is buy a dizzying array of locking pieces and rollers with a gauge should get the gun to run reliably by swapping to what works best.
That takes time, energy, multiple range trips, and money and quite frankly is better served by just saving time and buying a PTR

I specifically was talking about the A4 collapsible stock.
PTR doesn't make them, they supply their guns with fixed A3 stocks or the Magpul G3 PRS1/2, most of the A4 collapsibles on the market are surplus, or HK civilian manufacture from the 80's/90's with the caveat for a FEW newer POF manufactured ones.

>the welds were super shitty
Like, actually bad, or just ugly?

Not him, but from me looking over a few I can tell you, it's a mix

What are my options for a rifle

Attached: FN Scar y6311mge21i01.jpg (6016x4016, 2.86M)

Not sure if the DTA MDR is in that price range, but any AR-10 can be made ambi friendly - save for ejection

I'm not fond of POF, and the MDR isn't far off from your budget

$2,524 for the MDR and it's as ambi friendly as you can get

Thanks for the morning wewd fren

Don't care about the ejection being ambi, just want the controls to be ambi. The DT makes me leery because of the initial horrible role out. Not a huge fan of bullpups either.

Attached: scar uqwq5qq5pju01.jpg (1788x1361, 304K)

not if you value your ears

I got mine used for like $200 you know. They don't even come in black. I spraypainted it.

Attached: IMG_20180907_225531.jpg (3840x2160, 1.96M)

It's been almost a decade and I still don't understand why someone would buy a black SCAR on purpose.

what can are you getting? I can't decide what to do for mine other than a straight up muzzle brake for a mounting device

Eyyyy that’s what’s up

Born and raised in San Luis, god bless SLOSA

Soul check on the Colt 901? Just picked one up off Arms Unlimited. According to their sales team when I emailed them, Colt's discontinuing the monolithic uppered ones and sold them their last batch. Said they had less than 15 left when I asked.

Attached: MARC.jpg (857x361, 21K)

R8 my concept

Attached: Screenshot_20190509-184202_Gunstruction.jpg (1432x449, 195K)

>keymod
>backup iron sights when you have a non-qd scope
>harris instead of atlas

901's a great "one gun" setup since you can share a can and the lower between the 16" .308 upper and a short 300 BLK upper and have pretty much all your bases covered.

its a great range. sadly most free-er states with more private land lack places set up like this

bitch has mad flavor

>dickmod
>poortex
>two piece scope rings on an AR15
>harris bipod
>mbus buis
>not a k2 grip

>magpul backup sights backup iron sights

more of a DMR/Snoipah than a BR

If you're buying the parts for the build I don't see how it could cost as much as a Super Sniper. The Super Sniper barrel itself is like $275, if you get a modern bolt for it and a modern trigger group, which you'd have to do to meet 922r, I feel like you'd be pretty well on your way to getting the functionality of a Super Sniper without paying the premium for the proprietary rail and stock etc
For me, the G3 pattern is that shit, so I don't mind paying outside of what people would consider reasonable for a battle rifle. I just want to know how much it'll cost/how feasible it is to build one that shoots sub MOA.

It extracts its soul from the stock via your beard.

Attached: 1512896793127.jpg (348x200, 21K)

I want a shiny FAL to gucci up. DSA FALs look pretty matte. Are there any FALs with glossy receivers? Alternatively, is there a type that would be better than others for if I intend to hand polish the receiver and have it blued?

Pic related, kind of what I'm going for but when shinier would be better.

Attached: 1547261478293.jpg (540x360, 49K)

Than literally ANY AR-10, get a ambi selector, and an ambi bolt catch, ambi mag release and a ambi charging handle if need be and call it a day

Black SBR'd ones actually look great

>$275 for a barrel

-Forgetting that you are looking at multiple gunsmith labor hours
-Forgetting that the fee will likely be $800- $1k just for the barrel install alone - The G3 is not an easy platform to rebarrel
>forgetting that the gunsmith will have to re-headspace and re-time, and will almost certainly need new locking pieces and rollers for the new barrel, not to mention he is going to have to retrue the action.
-Forgetting that the trunnion may be destroyed in the process of de-barrelling, and welds may have to be broken and re-welded but that's besides the point outlined below:
-Forgetting that the super sniper barrel is MSG-90 profile and is *supposed* to use an MSG-90 trunnion.

If you want a high speed roller lock marksmen rifle:
A: sell the cetme and start with a HBAR PTR
or
B: Build it from scratch, buy a flat or a pre-bent, have a builder put the appropriate barrel, trunnion on and weld

Forgot to mention, your rebuilt CETME probably won't shoot sub-MOA when that's all said and done.

I've seen MSG-90 builds using EARLY PTR's (JLD and such), back when MSG-90 parts were available, that ballooned into $2500 in parts and labor WITHOUT the original price of the gun involved.

It's the reason why PTR rushed out the HBAR/marksmen models, they actually watched the HK forums and saw a demand.

Sell the CETME, it's just not worth it bro

If you have the money to spend then buy once cry once.

Start with the appropriate PTR for your build or start from scratch with a flat and a dream

to further elaborate what is said
Heres the appropriate (PSG-1) trunnion for the super sniper barrel, from RCM

rimcountrymfg.com/product/rcm-psg1-trunnion/

$106
>will almost certainly require weld breaking and reweld, being an extended trunnion, which means your receiver may be destroyed during this process.
You should not be willing to play fucking risks with that CETME reciever, it's been all but confirmed that they were from PTR's rejected flats bin, the odds of it being destroyed during de-weld are high

There is a type of metal treatment that will give the reciever some gloss & sheen without going through the hassle of blue over park or a total refinish.

I have one like that but I dont remember the brand right now. I can report back once i get home and look at it.

What is the lightest MLOK metal handguard? I saw a few on HKparts or RTG.
Anyone here have experience with any of them?
I just want something to replace the stock PTR handguard and polymer wouldn't seem right on this build.

Honestly I have to ask what you are trying to mount because the slim handguard can be modified to take a rail section - Vert grip/AFG and the wide handguard can:
>Be drilled to take bottom rail and side rail sections
>mount the HK bipod
>be modified to mount a harris easily

The only reason to get an MLOK is miniscule weight savings and for mounting a laser

Also forgot
>Be modified to take a QD stud or loop by removing the 3 point sling mount

I don't plan on mounting anything. I just want minuscule weight savings on the front end of the gun.
Anyone know the weight of the stock metal HG that PTR comes with so I can compare to the after market slim MLOK options available?

Decide not to then fucko

Just extremely sloppy, they probably get paid based on how many guns they assemble so even decent amateur welders will rush and make ugly welds. It really depends on the gun though and who assembled it.

Yeah, I miss it. Had to move down to LA for work recently, but I had lots of good times out there. I’ll have to go back soon - no use making money if you can’t send it downrange, right?