I want to build a meme plinker. Should I do a Colt SMG clone, or an Uzi clone?

I want to build a meme plinker. Should I do a Colt SMG clone, or an Uzi clone?

Attached: Colt_9mm_SMG.jpg (1089x729, 42K)

I enjoyed my Uzi, but I feel like an older colt clone would be a lot more fun

Definitely Colt.

I'd personally like an Uzi because of sleazecore, but closed bolt versions of open bolt SMGs are gross.

Yeah.

Yeah, second this. If you want a build that is going to work without any headaches and your options are semi UZI or Colt SMG, the Colt SMG is going to be easier to build, cheaper to get, and more reliable out of the gate. I say none of that with any joy, because while I like Colt 9mm AR's, the Uzi has been a crush of mine since I saw Terminator for the first time as a kid.

Colt is lighter weight, has a better trigger, and better ergonomics. The Uzi is near indestructible, and more compact.

Do the Colt's tend to blow a lot of gas back at the shooter?

Attached: uzi-smg.jpg (1200x740, 91K)

>cheaper to get
Aren't both options going to cost ~1k? AR9 parts are cheap, but Colt style 9mm parts tend to be more expensive.

Uzi mags are definitely cheaper than Colt mags, though you can convert Uzi mags to work in the Colt with only a slight modification.

It kind of depends on the configuration, to be sure. If you go with a classic DEA 9mm AR like in OP's picture, it is going to cost you. If you do a slightly more typical 16" 9mm AR with the other features being the same, you could get a decent price. Years back CMMG made a pretty good 16" 9mm classic for around $800, I'm sure there are other brands with the same aesthetic. An Uzi and a Colt 9mm SMG that are both SBR will cost about the same, but if the Uzi requires extra work to get running right, which it very well might, then the Colt still comes out ahead. Slap a CAR style stock on this guy and you're a barrel and an SBR stamp away from having your dream with no reliability concerns. I haven't seen a decent Uzi build from a reputable builder (pre-ban or good kit builds) for less than $1500 in quite some time, they may be even more expensive now. Action Arms imports of IWI Uzis will run $2200 plus.

Fuck, forgot the picture. Get one of these, another $250 or so in parts, and a $200 stamp and you are good to go for probably under $1500.

Attached: 151457891253231.jpg (640x360, 29K)

16" 9mm are absolutely disgusting and anyone thinking of owning one should be ashamed of themselves.

A department of energy ar9 clone.

Especially with braces existing. Have these people no shame?!

That's why I'm suggesting getting the 16" and then SBR'ing it. Personally I don't mind the 16" 9mm AR's, but OP specifically mentioned clones, and that's the easiest route to a Colt clone with merely the swap of a barrel and a stock, plus the stamp.

Also, most braces are fucking more aesthetically gross than a longer barrel, with very few exceptions. I don't want the fed up in my shit anymore than anyone else, and it's the route I choose, but let's not kid ourselves that most braces "look great."

What tends to cause hiccups with the Uzi builds? I've always been under the impression that they were pretty reliable. Out of spec parts?

That wouldnt cost a lot.

Lets say you do a PSA lower receiver. $150 shipped.
A 9mm receiver block is $50-100.
A stripped brownells M16A1 upper is $125 on sale, which is about $160 once it's complete.
10.5" A2 9mm barrel from RRA is $245
9mm BCG is about $100
charging handle, $15

RRA often has sales on their barrels and shit. Im sure other people make 10.5 9mm barrels with front sight posts, but I haven't done a ton of research. You could also save the money and get a dedicated 9mm Colt pattern lower from PSA, but IMO 10.5" looks too awkward on one of those. I can post a pic if necessary.

Ballistic advantage makes decent 11" 9mm barrels with FSB for only $160 or so. However they're nitride finished, so they're not 100% accurate in terms of a clone build.

Thats assuming OP gives a poop. Actually an 11" 9mm barrel would be the same length as a 10.5" 5.56 barrel, because the 9mm ones don't have a barrel extension.

Based

Both are good, kind of comes down to what you like.

Actual IMI/Action Arms produced Uzi carbines had a lot of R&D and effort put into them to make proper closed-bolt carbines, it's not like with someone jamming an AK style hammer and FCG into a PPS43 receiver.
A Model B carbine would be rock solid, and some (but not all) clones, tend to follow the design changes properly and work fine.

For instance the Norinco 320, which was an unauthorized Chinese clone that Action Arms managed to gain possession of through a lawsuit, they're kinda rough around the edges, and they were imported right as that whole AWB nonsense began, so they were originally sold with a thumbhole stock, a weld on the barrel nut, and pinned magazines, the thing is also kind of rough all over.
It does however work all fine, and they can with some work be fixed to have a proper stock, have the weld on the nut broken, have any rough or jagged edges polished down, and they will of course take normal magazines. They are also cheaper than genuine Uzis.

The Colt is a closed bolt blowback gun, so I can't imagine it would any more than any other gun with the same kind of action.

Attached: Norinco Uzi.jpg (700x525, 31K)

Any IMI/AA Uzi will run out of the box.
Older Vector builds will run out of the box (some later ones may not).
The Norinco clone usually runs out of the box.

Garage builds or one-off builds can of course be a crapshoot.

There's a whole bunch of different things that needed to be changed when Uziel Gal developed the closed-bolt semi-auto version, things which I've kind of forgotten actually.
I have a book detailing all of the stuff involved, and I was going to go and cite it for you, but I'm going to move and that book is in the bottom of a box right now.

If you're really interested in the subject, it's 'The Uzi Sub-Machinegun: Examined', by David Gaboury. The book tells you everything you ever wanted to know about the Uzi, and more, complete with pictures and sources, all for just $50.
Given how highly expensive comprehensive and researched books about firearms with pictures usually get, it's in my opinion an absolute steal, you easily pay many times that for a book like that about Luger pistols or Colt revolvers.