Since a private company is now selling the capability to track Baofengs and and all other radios that operate above 100...

Since a private company is now selling the capability to track Baofengs and and all other radios that operate above 100 MHz from space, what will be the new Jow Forums approved comms equipment? Are there any good rugged CB options available?

Attached: trash.jpg (467x827, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

he360.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds fake post proofs

qtddtot, why is it legal in the US to use scanners to listen to police radio?

How exactly could you stop anyone where it is illegal from just listening?

You have made this thread like 10 times now and have yet to explain in what situation a private company tracking your baofeng would do anything.

Shocking idea, turn off the radio when you're not using it.

Not op, but
he360.com/

switching to digital, many police forces in europe already did it. germany is still in the test phase. it's illegal here to use a scanner for that. you can buy scanners, but if they somehow catch you listening to their radio, that's an offence. hypothetically. i was recently watching falling down and was surprised when that nazi dude just told the cop that he was listening to their radio conversations in his shop.

This company is launching a constellation of SIGINT satellites capable of locating any transmitter operating between 100 MHz and 15 GHz with an accuracy of 1 km or better and will have all areas of the planet covered every 20-30 minutes.
he360.com/

>accuracy of 1km

>1km accuracy

LMFAO

call me when they have accuracy lower than 100 meters so they can locate somebodies fucking building

It's not quite that much of a hellish police state here in the US yet. They only arrest the most vocal political dissidents and only when they can somehow come up with semi reasonable sounding fake charges. I'm sure it's coming in the future though.

Did anybody think these were safe in the first place? If you can't load crypto onto them then they're just some powerful walky-talkies.

Even with crypto, you can be triangulated

Digital police frequencies are not illegal to listen to. They're listed in the fcc public domain.

Read the post you fucking sponge brained retard
He clearly says hes in the land of muslims

>what situation a private company tracking your baofeng would do anything
Yeah, what motivation would a private company have for selling your cell phone location data or all the other information on people that they sell?

Considering the signal they transmit doesn't normally travel past the horizon and they aren't reliant on having tons of infrastructure everywhere that's capable of tracking them like cell phones are, they were a fuck ton safer than the alternatives. Now it would be quite a bit harder to argue their utility for that purpose.

> Any transmitter above 100MHz
Color me skeptical they're going to pick up all those 2-5W handsets, but when they do, how are they going to control for all those fucking FRS/GMRS handsets too?

>If you can't load crypto onto them then
Crypto doesn't really help as much as people think, and can actually reduce utility for anyone who isn't a larger centrally controlled group. The US Army was still using unencrypted radios for intrasquad communications into the mid-late 2000s, and public service in many areas still don't use it because of the interoperability problems that it can introduce. Simply not having your signal received by people it's not intended for is much more important.

What's below 100mhz? CB?
Good luck isolating a VHF signal from every phone, router, RC toy and other thousands of devices in a 1km area.

>Yeah, what motivation would a private company have for selling your cell phone location data or all the other information on people that they sell?
Yeah so they are going to market MREs and boots to people with sigint marketing data?

Anyone who is coming to kill you while larping in the woods already has a SIGINT satellite.

How are Baofengs different from green gear / 152s besides the fact that you can't load crypto?

Without crypto isn't it a relatively simple process for someone to be able to listen to your comms?

I know very little about communications set-ups when it comes to emergency preparedness.

doesn't it make sense for the police to protect their professional communication and not let criminals hear when they're going somewhere? and where they're going?

Criminals dont use police scanners and if they do it increases their punishment significantly

I can see how a squad leader talking to his TLs through comms wouldn't need to be encrypted.
>Simply not having your signal received by people it's not intended for is much more important.
Isn't the entire point of crypto to prevent undesireables from hopping onto your freq? What do you mean?

>What do you mean?
Sigint to locate individuals and use their presence as intelligence to shift battle plans > listening to squads clear a location

>Criminals dont use police scanners
i don't know, i've been to football riots in the past and a lot of people where having people behind with scanners. why the fuck would you not use the opportunity to know when the cops know you're doing shit and when they'll be there. do you really think that's how criminals think? not wanting to have a higher chance of getting away clean because it might result in more punishment if you're caught?

>football riots
In the US the criminals are mostly niggers and mexicans. They do not think, they act. That is why they are criminals.

>Color me skeptical they're going to pick up all those 2-5W handsets
It actually doesn't take that much power to reach a satellite, and requires even less if you don't need to actually understand what's being transmitted. Amateur radio enthusiasts mess around with satellites that transmit back down to earth using 1/2 a watt or less into an omnidirectional antenna.

>how are they going to control for all those fucking FRS/GMRS handsets too?
They just locate those as well.

>Good luck isolating a VHF signal from every phone, router, RC toy and other thousands of devices in a 1km area.
That isn't really an issue so long as they aren't transmitting simultaniously on the same frequency. The only devices that would really be hard to track are phones/wifi equipment. Also, phones and wifi are in the UHF and SHF frequency ranges, not VHF.

Only the US, Russia, China, France, and India operate any SIGINT satellites, and even then they don't just hand out information gained from those to any agency operating in the country. By the way, you do know that police departments do purchase data from those companies as well.

This.... this makes me nervous. I guess I'm back to smoke signals now? I mean fuck, if you can't communicate, you can't coordinate.

>Only the US, Russia, China, France, and India operate any SIGINT satellites, and
Okay and who are you running around in syria/rural montana/europe fighting?? the dutch army?
>even then they don't just hand out information gained from those to any agency operating in the country.
Yes I am sure that NRO will provide no information to the FBI in the event that you are running around ambushing mraps with IEDs in the woods.
> By the way, you do know that police departments do purchase data from those companies as well.
Once again, the second you start shooting people and running around in the woods like larper rambo they are simply going to call bigger hammers down on you from countries that have access to this. Of course the larger countries with motivation to operate them have reason to aid smaller foreign countries.

Simply lay out a single situation where you need your baofeng innawoods and you are not dealing with US, russia or china forces/proxy forces on the other site.

Didn't realize there was a difference between intercepting signals and intercepting actual communications.
Do Baofengs protect against either of these? What are a civilian's options when it comes to secure means of communication?

>football riots
>Organized brawls with dedicated commo people
>In the US paco just sells weed and is super fucking surprised when the cops have a problem with that.
We live in very different cultures.

What's the alternative here, seriously? Even digital set ups, the nodes are going to be blatantly obvious since there's a random fucking wifi node equivalent innawoods. Or several. So... What then?

the amount of people who use cell phones compared to the amount of larpers who use baofengs during airsoft matches is comically different.

smoke signals via vape pens

New to radio, what the drama with Baofengs I keep hearing about?

>hurr why do you need to communicate over a distance without being tracked other than fighting the government
>hurr nothing to hide nothing to fear
Go die in a ditch faggot.

I'm not him, but tell me what the best comm plan is then. Give me your knowledge.

Attached: 1556306115150.jpg (768x1024, 65K)

Hilarious.

Attached: cdb.jpg (499x499, 19K)

Deep pockets and the right connections

>implying your calls aren't hidden due to being buried under billions of other calls.

stop being a drama queen. the government doesn't care about all the dorky shit you do. they only care if you're gonna bomb something.

>Do Baofengs protect against either of these?
Baofengs are low power portable units usually they are attached to people that are moving. As such its reasonable to run around with one strapped to your gear. Something like P25/Digital trunked systems are able to operate at lower powers if they have a dedicated infrastructure. Obviously this poses additional risks due to requiring infrastructure but it significantly lowers signal intelligence information provided
>What are a civilian's options when it comes to secure means of communication?
Just run a baofeng and realize that anytime you key up you are alerting people who may be in the area. Its not 1965, you are not using a giant manpack radio to call for CAS while in the jungle. You are communicating LOS or less with squad level elements at most.

Any country capable of engaging american civilians in an a conflict (ie. able to make it to the USA and deploy an occupying force) is going to be able to operate ground based and air based sigint platforms so the whole paranoia about a sigint sat network that doesnt even exist is fucking beyond tin foil.
You need to classify your information and use transmissions accordingly
Ex:
>Kommando1, im on the second floor coming out dont shoot me
If this is intercepted what information can be gained from it? The fact that your callsign is kommando1, the fact that you are operating in approx Y area during X time period and the fact that you likely have other elements with radios. So with this in mind do you need ultra scrambled fhss to do so? Not really.
>In 24 hours we will do the x thing at y location
If this is intercepted what information can be gained from it? An absolute shitload. A force capable of intercepting this is then able to plan battle and forces around it, thus negating the speed/mobility advantage of an insurgent militaman. Should this be encrypted with crazy fhss or transmitted via runners with notes rolled in buttholes? Yes 1/2

you don't think the thousands of people that are doing that shit at the nsa aren't individuals? i'm pretty sure there's a lot of them who's hobby it is to listen to someone's life

I don't know any satanists in the deep state and don't own a sat phone. What do I do?

wtf is this glownigger shit?
ppl use baofengs because they give 0 shits

>paying thousands of people to listen to calls
>not just using some google AI that looks for key words

this is the future, senpai. get used to it or start blowing shit up.

They ain't doing it on the governments dime, and unless the NSA security is even more lax than the commercial sector after Snowden's shenanigans, their own network traffic is being monitored with statistical analysis software.

you still need thousands of people who look into the shit when the ai finds key words. and i'm pretty sure they find key words in a shitload of calls

2/2

Baofengs are not dead
Neither are giant ham setups, neither are runners, nor shitposts/social media stenography. It all comes down to when you use it and what information is being transmitted over it. SIGINT is useful intel but it doesnt make or break an insurgent conflict (see afghanistan, syria and iraq baofeng usage and the subsequent outcomes).

Low IQ Poster who starts this thread twice a day thinks that that this company has completely btfo everyone forever when in reality its niche technology that is not operational nor actionable in comparison to existing technology employed by real militaries. Is it good to be aware of this shit? Yes but is it worth making this thread twice a day? No it is not.

The real technical solution is coming with the cost reduction of software defined radios capable of taking waveform files from the internet. These cost 10k+ 5 years ago and now can be had for $200 or less. Portable modifications exist for these as well and they are only going to get cheaper and more accessible. Soon anyone with intermediate levels of computer knowledge will have access to SIGCGARS tier radios with fat waveform options on par with the most advanced military radios.

Thanks for the info.
>Just run a baofeng and realize that anytime you key up you are alerting people who may be in the area
So they're basically the equivalent of a powerful walky-talky, then (security-wise)?

>software defined radios
Neat. I want to look into this more, if only to see about transmitting small-ish internet packets of data from a cell phone lor laptop to another SDR attached to a networked computer to see how far you could beam internet signal.

Where's a good place to start reading up on this?

>How are Baofengs different from green gear / 152s besides the fact that you can't load crypto?
VS the current stuff? Current radios offer frequency hopping for resistance to jamming, the ability to retransmit audio to soldiers who aren't in a location to receive the original transmission, and tons of other cool features. However, they really aren't too different other than the obvious differences you'd see when comparing any cheap chinese vs milspec gear when comparing to pre the SINCGARs equipment that was still seeing service into the 90s and the radios for intrasquad communication that saw service well into the 2000s.

>Just run a baofeng and realize that anytime you key up you are alerting people who may be in the area
The entire issue here is that with a company selling access to SIGINT satellites like this, people don't even have to be in the area with the necessary equipment. Why continue using Baofengs when there is other equipment that's readily available and immediately mitigates this threat?

>Why continue using Baofengs
For the same reason anyone ever uses the cheapest Chinese radio available: cost.

>So they're basically the equivalent of a powerful walky-talky, then (security-wise)?
Yes. You should be doing the walky while doing the talky. You arent going to be starting radio free europe off a baofeng on a hill.
> if only to see about transmitting small-ish internet packets of data from a cell phone lor laptop to another SDR attached to a networked computer to see how far you could beam internet signal.
Packet radio modem. Look into it.
>Where's a good place to start reading up on this?
Its a pretty broad scope of things. Look into your local ham club and get licensed, that will learn you basics and let you spin off a specialty.
>people don't even have to be in the area with the necessary equipment
Then what is the threat associated with it? The Chilean military going to figure out that you are clearing a room and lob a sub launched cruise missile at you?

>Low IQ Poster who starts this thread twice a day thinks that that this company has completely btfo everyone forever
??? The last thread I saw on it was yesterday and straight up listed alternative equipment that wasn't affected in the OP, some of which that could be occasionally found at your local thrift store. You seem to be a bit too emotionally invested in your Chinese radios.

>You seem to be a bit too emotionally invested in your Chinese radios.
If you read his post more carefully, you'd see he's saying exactly the opposite.

You've been watching too many thriller movies bro. Criminals actually just means niggers and tweakers. The legit gangsters basically run the country.

He's saying that there's no reason to change until he can get SINCGARs tier radios, which isn't happening any time soon as the amateur radio community can't even produce a god damn combination DMR/DSTAR/YSF radio for digital voice modes.

>increases their punishment significantly
Entirely dependent on your state, as only 10 or so have that law. In Virginia, it's a misdemeanor.

Also, if you're running a large enough drug business that you can dedicate one person to just listening to the radio, you aren't going to give a fuck about whatever 6-12 months they tack on to what their going to hit you with for trafficking.

>He's saying that there's no reason to change until he can get SINCGARs tier radios
Not even what I was trying to deliver in that post. Even then baofengs will still have a utility in any comm usecase.
>radio community
Thats because dumb boomers are worthless because they see ham clubs as jerkoff stations for old bags to complain about arthritis on air all day. You can fire up GNU radio today and make your own radio transform, simulate it and test interception of it using alternative sinks. The only hardware is not there and thats because the
>homebrew waveform prepper gnuradio sdr market
Doesnt really exist. That being said nothing is stopping you from buying a HackRF and potting a portapack with some simple addon circuits for a nato 6pin connector. Congrats you've just made a software defined portable radio that is ready for enhanced counter sigint larping.

>when there is other equipment readily available and immediately mitigate the threat?
What would that be, exactly? Because it would still pick up digital stuff, right? So what would mitigate this, and is readily available? If it's digital, hiding the signal in other signals works in cities. But I'm not a citynigger. So it's still going to stick out that there's this stuff in the middle of absolute nowhere.

You're broadcasting far enoug to get picked up by someone you want to talk to, you're getting picked up by people that you don't. You'd just have to be gone bwfore they can get to your location, or mask what you were sending to make it look like legit traffic.

>Doesnt really exist. That being said nothing is stopping you from buying a HackRF and potting a portapack with some simple addon circuits for a nato 6pin connector. Congrats you've just made a software defined portable radio that is ready for enhanced counter sigint larping.
You just said a lot of words. And I'm retarded.

Oh no they'll find my hunting spot, what will I ever do?

This. It's like when .mils start dropping 2 acronyms for every English word in a sentence. I know what HackRF, but what's the rest?

>Even then baofengs will still have a utility in any comm usecase.
The point is that there are other options that have been around for years, are well established, are available for under $100 new, and can even be found at thrift stores that these new SIGINT satellites can't pick up. There's really no reason not to use them unless you're emotionally invested in your current gear or specifically demand the ability to use repeaters.

>That being said nothing is stopping you from buying a HackRF
Except of course the ever present problem of you not being able to use any new features you designed due to lack of interoperability, which is sadly an ever present problem when it comes to any neat radio idea.

CB radios operate at 27 MHz, well below what these satellites will pick up.

But that's a non-solution. To get range out of a CB, you have to pump the fucking thing with crazy power. My scenario here is militiamen. That seems like a good go to choice. How do you do a handheld CB that gets 10 miles?

You take a hackrf
add a board that contains a display and some buttons
Encase entire thing in epoxy to make it weatherproof
Add connector so it works with standard ptt + headset
Load software that you design on so you can perform FHSS/encryption
the end
>The point is that there are other options that have been around for years, are well established, are available for under $100 new, and can even be found at thrift stores that these new SIGINT satellites can't pick up.
Advocating for CB because satellites cannot track it is on par with advocating for muskets because the atf cant track them. You are trading a shitload on a very shaky premise.
>There's really no reason not to use them unless you're emotionally invested in your current gear
You keep saying this like I am somehow locked into owning a baofeng and own nothing else.
>no reason not to use CB
Is this a joke?
>Except of course the ever present problem of you not being able to use any new features you designed due to lack of interoperability, which is sadly an ever present problem when it comes to any neat radio idea.
Who are you talking to via super secure radio that somehow also doesnt have a radio issued to you? We aren't doing over the air PGP here dude.
>CB radios operate at 27 MHz, well below what these satellites will pick up.
I was going to call this retarded but beat me to the punch. The sigint ramifications of cranking a CB up to a billion watts > sigint ramifications of a random private company with a non operable satellite network
>How do you do a handheld CB that gets 10 miles?
You dont

Assuming these are only used in civilian settings with working infrastructure, why do you guys need radios when you can just download any encryption library off github and use phone data?

>How do you do a handheld CB that gets 10 miles?
A Baofeng won't even do 10 miles over flat ground without a repeater due to the simple fact that the radio horizon exists.

Coded words, phrases etcs, switching channels per prearranged scheme

After reading about it, they just use satellites to triangulate RF signals. Unless you transmit or the radio transmits silently they wouldn't be able to find you

>the end
Basically, since there will be no one else out there using compatible equipment.

>Advocating for CB because satellites cannot track it is on par with advocating for muskets because the atf cant track them. You are trading a shitload on a very shaky premise.
And what makes Baofengs so much better than CB radios for simplex communication? Simply saying "but it's amateur radio gear" isn't a reason.

>Who are you talking to via super secure radio that somehow also doesnt have a radio issued to you?
You are literally talking about building your own equipment because the average person can't buy equipment with those capabilities.

Doesn't one of those Baofeng or another one of those Chinese companies make an HT that can use the 6 meter band?

>And what makes Baofengs so much better than CB radios for simplex communication? Simply saying "but it's amateur radio gear" isn't a reason.
Jesus christ where to even start
>Cheaper
>Programmable
>Common pin out/battery between most models
>Plenty of headset adapters
>UHF/VHF bands
>Ruggedized units exist
>Lower power outputs
>Physically smaller units
>Every unit physically designed for man portable use
>Lighter weight
>Longer battery life in both RX and TX
>Ability to use repeaters easily
CB is mostly a joke

>You are literally talking about building your own equipment because the average person can't buy equipment with those capabilities.
And once you have the design perfected you can make 20 in an afternoon with minimal training. If someone actually gave two shits they would make the thing an open source project with simple download, unpack and program tier instructions. God forbid your insurgency receive aid from China, Russia or literally any other country capable of programming COTS hardware.

Unrelated to this gay shit, I like the PRS-25 radios because if they get a ping with a bullshit data packet they can't interperet, they ping out back.

Be a shame if someone figured out just enough to transmit packets that looked bad on a directional antenna and listened for pings back.
And the radio that pings back doesn't even tell the user it's pinging with a flash or a beep or anything at all.
Almost like you could detect any cop from a police department that uses PRS-25, or anyone from a military carrying a PRS-25 radio, without them ever knowing that you know where they are.

But hey, if the police care more about hiding their communications from the scanner guys behind encryption, more power to em.

>big list things that supposedly make Baofengs better
>absolutely none of them address what gives them the magical ability to achieve the ranges that you claim CB radios lack

>Cheaper
CB radios have been around for long enough that you can find a higher quality model used for less than a Baofeng.

>Programmable
CB radios are simple enough that this isn't even needed. You wouldn't claim programmability as the upside of a rifle, would you?

>Common pin out/battery between most models
You can buy CB HTs that will run on AA batteries, which gives you cross manufacturer compatibility out of the box rather than just cross model compatibility.

>UHF/VHF bands
Explain why you think this makes them so much better.

>Ruggedized units exist
Nothing Chinese at that price point is rugged.

>Lower power outputs
You can buy CB HTs where you can adjust the power.

>Every unit physically designed for man portable use
You can buy CB HTs.

>Longer battery life in both RX and TX
Model dependant.

>Ability to use repeaters easily
The vast majority of people with Baofengs who aren't amateur radio enthusiasts will never use a repeater, and I specifically stated simplex comms because of that.

>this entire post
Okay we get it dude you like CB

>literally can't make an argument because his entire views on Baofengs revolved around "they're amateur radio gear so they must be better"
Baofengfags really are one of the most insuferable groups here.

So it looks like communication via messengers and pyro is the way to go.

Ok, but you could reasonably get 8, out of a handheld, under ideal conditions. I'm not just talking baofeng, here. I'm saying any and all available solutions to civilians. CB is a crappy solution, because it takes so much juice to run. I'm looking for a way to beat this that doesn't relegate it to fixed position.

That's.... really fucking interesting. Good looking out, user.

It's literally bethesda tier because it's marketed as a feature despite being a vulnerability in the architecture. It's called "Presence" and it's literally on the wikipedia page for the goddamn thing. Not to mention how it can be jammed by super fucking weak tx.

lol I meant P25 not PRS-25. My point stands.

The whole point is that it isn't just the baofengs, you idiot. It's about finding a solution that prevents triangulation and maintains usability without taking us back to the fucking stone age. The band that's in use means that no matter what you do, CB consumes more power to transmit and receive for an equivalent distance. That's a basic principle that even I, a radio retard, understand. The hand models are going to be EXTREMELY limited, and that's inherent. You can't design around that.

NOW that we've got that out of the way, I do have other ideas that I'm wondering if anyone has considered. What about lasers? Could lasers in a nonvisible spectrum be used above a treeline or something? User sends signal to small drone, small drone sends signal to whatever else?

Use directional antennas
Yagis pointed at eachother to allow much much lower TX power

Or even just horizontal 360 degree antennas and remember to hold the handset upright.

Really the main downside for CB HTs is that the smaller antennas that you commonly find (that are smaller than what people recommend running on a Baofeng for that matter) aren't very efficient. You can either buy/make a longer but still mangeable antenna, or try some amateur radio gear that operates on the 6 meter band and splits the difference for how long of an antenna you need to get maximum efficiency. The lower frequencies do maintain their power better though so you don't need as efficient of an antenna as you do on the 2 meter band to get the same performance.

>The band that's in use means that no matter what you do, CB consumes more power to transmit and receive for an equivalent distance
It's the other way around. Lower frequency radio waves maintain their power better and require less power to go an equivalent distance (although that can also apply to interference). The problem is that the same size antenna will be less efficient at lower frequencies. The limiting factor on handheld models is the size of antenna you can comfortably use, not the power.

what kind of weird shit are you guys up to that using a radio isn't "safe"?

Attached: 2jwt9k.jpg (645x729, 28K)

Normie get out.
Is.. is that a thing? Would that just preclude the shit of it being detected? Is it sincerely because it's omnidirectional? Because if so, that is an easier fix.
>antenna size
My bad, I didn't realize. What's the logic in that band being all but abandoned at this point, then? If it's an issue of antenna size, how big are we talking?

Face to face among a very small group of associates under penalty of death for leaks.
LCN Omerta or what happened to Seth Rich.

domestic terrorists get out. unironically reporting this thread because you creeps sound like you're up to no good.

like 15 feet for cb is ideal.
vs like 3ft for vhf.
and like 6 in for uhf.

Can't tell if bait or a legitimate NPC.

Attached: 1557017428667.jpg (800x711, 66K)

>What's the logic in that band being all but abandoned at this point
There just isn't much demand for local radio comms anymore now that cell phones have taken over. The same reason why the amateur 2 meter and 70 cm bands are as dead as they are today.

>If it's an issue of antenna size, how big are we talking?
For a whip antenna, you want about 1/4 wavelength for maximum efficiency. For CB that's ~9 feet, for the amateur 6 meter band that's ~5 feet, for the 2 meter band that's ~1.6 feet, and for the 70 cm band that's ~7 inches.

I'm memeing, but really why so paranoid? it's a fucking radio.
>b-because they can track us user!
which they've been doing with your phones and CPUs for decades?

Thanks for reminding me to renew my FCC License.
Need to renew within the window and not have to retest and keep my Call sign.
Not putting it out here.

>CB radios have been around for long enough that you can find a higher quality model used for less than a Baofeng.

The whole point of the portable HAM's like the Baofeng, Yaesu, etc. is they can transmit FMRS/GMRS, CB, HAM frequencies, and be easily modified for transmitting emergency freqs, open military freqs and civil defense freqs. Even if they aren't modified they can listen in on all the freqs that you technically aren't legally allowed to transmit on