What is the opinion on thermal optics vs night vision?

what is the opinion on thermal optics vs night vision?
i see a lot of talk about nv but no mentions of thermal
I've never used either
Looking online they have similar price points
they both have helmet and rifle attachment variants
is thermal just a meme?

Attached: -black-1-9-x-2-7-x-5-5-tab176wn8q14001-ma.jpg (978x550, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/21u146L1xVU?t=224
trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3028&context=utk_gradthes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ideally you want both. night vision can be defeated with good camouflage technique, thermal not so much. Also, good luck walking around with just thermal.

Attached: 1544908274290.jpg (564x717, 100K)

Thermal is crap for PID, especially with the lower resolution systems that are those most available and affordable on the civilian market.
It's comparable to the image resolution of an early 2000s cellphone photo

Personally, I would use a night vision device paired with a clip-on thermal imager to help carry out the unfinished work of Terry A. Davis.

Attached: 04.jpg (563x388, 59K)

Thermal can be defeated with a fucking flame orange umbrella.

Or a window or a sheet.

also some one explain this shit
the store shows this thermal optic is supposed to go in front of of the scope
aren't you basically zooming into a view finder at this point, meaning digital zoom, as opposed to optical zoom?

Attached: pl76456_img_gun_500.jpg (500x500, 18K)

that's assuming you know someone is watching with a thermal otherwise your not going around with an umbrella

or like a million car windows

Yes, you're just zooming in on a display screen.
youtu.be/21u146L1xVU?t=224
They don't work the other way around because there isn't good (if any) thermal transmission though a telescope to a bolometer inside a device behind the scope.

RIP Carl.

Thermal is not a meme.

Things you can do using image intensifiers (NV) that you can't do with thermals:
>read maps
>look through glass
>identify individuals

On the other hand, thermals are what you want to identify anything concealed, or more generally if you're actually shooting at something since target contrast is higher.

Super high-end thermals (I'm talking about tank optics and shit) can pretty much replace image intensifiers -- though still with some basic limitations -- but you don't have those.

If you want my opinion, the ideal combination is a NV device on your helmet for walking around and a thermal weapon optic.

I have used thermal optics on a couple hog hunts, though it was a few years back, and there are way more optics on the market now.
The gist of it is that thermal imagine devices are going to be either low resolution, low refresh rate, or both. You can see anything with a heartbeat hiding in brush sure as shit, but they end up being just a few bright pixels after a certain distance. Grainy night vision gives you way more detail, but its downside is you can more easily miss something thats bedded down unless you see its eyes glow.

Thermal will probably win out in the long run, but good thermal devices cost way too much for the shooting market.

For example, at night helicopters are *flown* under NV, but the weapons are all operated through thermals.

You dial back the scope and use the intensifiers zoom, otherwise your just magnifying pixels.

The real answer is to mount night vision on top and thermal on the side.

Attached: t20thermal.jpg (1024x686, 111K)

We've got a DARPA employee here, boys.

>at night helicopters are *flown* under NV
To an extent thermal is used too. Nowadays a lot of helicopters have a IRST that assists landing in brown-out conditions and some weather conditions where thermal views further than I2.

PNVS on Apache is thermal, relayed from the turret on top of the nose to the pilot's eyepiece. It's nominally for navigation as well as target acquisition. But Apache pilots also often wear ANVIS googles at night since those allow you to look directly around the cockpit and outside in low light conditions and aren't as "busy".

There's a paper regarding ANVIS and PNVS usage by Apache crews here if anyone wants to read it
trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3028&context=utk_gradthes

>read maps
Eeehhhh idk about that

I asked this same question a while ago and never really got a decent answer back.

Would very much like to know this aw well.

As always, it's a question of training.
Its absolutely doable.