The futuristic gun problem

Why do all depictions of futuristic guns look bland and plain? It's like they all lose the individuality aspect of weapons like the AKs, M4s, all the classic guns everybody recognizes, instead the futuristic weapons depicted in games, tv, art look like clumps of metal. Give me some good designed fictional futuristic weapons Jow Forums

Attached: man-o-war-main-large-3.jpg (1280x720, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

artstation.com/artwork/e9OWP
youtu.be/JMPKywiuQtQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Halo assault rifle.jpg

I would like to add that some of them do look good, mostly when they are based on a real weapon

Attached: ark7.jpg (700x500, 41K)

They are desinged by artists, not engineers.

Attached: 1399531057353.png (590x322, 7K)

aren't artists supposed to make them look good then? Seems like they can't do their job well

That one is pretty good I agree

Attached: 4da788faacd64e5e9f422caee18ac079.jpg (1920x1080, 288K)

they're designed by noguns and people that don't like them.
It's always clear when a gun was designed by someone who's actually used one before.

Probably because they focused more on the FUUUUTUUUURRRREE aspect more than anything else, with the obligatory AK/AR-M4-M16 clone thrown in. Take Halo for example, pretty much everything in the game had heavy inspiration from real life militaries and look like something that could likely be feasible in the 2500s, while also having their own unique flair. Most didn’t go to the depths games like Halo and BF 2142 did for future weapons, not to mention the devs probably never even touching a single gun in their lives.

>tfw fifty rounds of 6.5 caseless
MR-C is a good take on futuristic yet practical me thinks

Attached: 4D5000E8-4593-4990-8193-233B059525AB.jpg (600x362, 14K)

I think that's part of BO3's problem. Those frankenguns have to put straps & bells & whistles & whatnot everywhere instead of leaving it simple. Just look at pic related.

These are from the same game but the below only appears in the hands of NPCs, racks or otherwise unavailable to the player outside PC mods. The above is WAY more decorated with all these tech gyzmos. I say they went too far with these designs, tried way too hard to make them seem futuristic without having any laser guns & it just ends up clunky.

Forgot the image

Attached: image.png (1024x1066, 1.01M)

>tfw naked Halo AR

Attached: MA6-naked.png (1500x420, 50K)

Attached: IMG_20160508_154155883s.jpg (1336x752, 340K)

Going with a classic

Attached: M41A_Pulse_Rifle.png (1000x431, 363K)

Plenty of the artists that design these guns, and the artists that model them aren't knowledgeable in firearms. They'll use direct references and plaster some greebling on them and call it a day in most cases. I'm sure some of the story folks go out of their way to explain a weapon, but whether it's designed based on their narrative or narrated based on design would determine how influential that is on the underlying processes.

If we're being entirely frank the weapons development process is really slow. I think more than anything the biggest transitions I'm aware of came due to materials and manufacture. One being polymers and aluminum alloys, and the other making extruding brass cartridges easier and bringing about box magazines with it. Polymers are visually interesting, brass cartridges and magazines not so much.

The thing that bothers me is mechanically impossible guns. Destiny does it frequently (although the canon lines it up) with magazines that would have to feed rounds in a magical loop-de-loop. Borderlands does it as well, it's very amateurish and clear they aren't working constructively with reference materials.

What I'd like to see in the future is artists with a respect for engineering and diligent research into current and future arms. That way we could get realistic future weapons without absurd compromises. What has and will continue to happen is cheap labor and low brow artists will continue to dismantle and reassemble a bunch of nonsense into the semblance of a gun.

>Not the battle rifle

Attached: 2B5AD878-161E-4065-91A5-AC4303FDF954.jpg (726x600, 55K)

>Destiny does it frequently (although the canon lines it up)
Destiny usually goes for literally acasual magic or alien shit. I don't know how Borderlands justifies it. Also I remember Fallout's oddities.

Attached: Outbreak_Prime.png (1920x1080, 1.17M)

I always mistook it for a FAMAS as a kid.

user, this is a blue board

Attached: image.jpg (1098x511, 242K)

That fairing is a little large, but still very cool

exactly what I was talking about, fictional gun based on a real gun

In Destiny the mags dont contain bullets, but smart matter which is formed into a projectile in the gun.

It's both really silly and really cool.

i remember the one revolver that is literally a revolver just has a giant shotgun shell for a cartridge, since all the other revolvers load via putting a battery in the cylinder

Attached: precise.jpg (800x600, 214K)

That'd probably be a better idea logistically than normal bullets for a sci-fi army. As long as they can get the smart matter working, produced & all, they won't have to worry about ordering the wrong type of bullets or anything of the sort.

It pretty much is

Well part of it is to do with unoriginality, there's a bland generic style for futuristic tech, and by those who have no experience with guns a bland and generic idea of what a gun is and how it's controls are set out, another issue is that the real world of modern firearm design and engineering has existed for more than a century and includes scores of novel designs and unique flare which anybody familiar with firearms could recognize and might want to employ when creating an imaginary gun that most average people don't even notice, on the engineering front there are many interesting potential improvements for firearms that artists wouldn't know about and lore people overlook. Other changes in gun design are more subtle and wouldn't be something you could immediately see, stuff like magnesium alloys or carbon composites used to greatly reduce weight, or autistically optimized bullet characteristics, or a change in how rounds are ignited to improve propellant burn (thinking electrothermal-chemical ignition).

>somehow holds 30 rounds

Attached: B25D7785-32DC-4862-B564-19DB3FB6A73E.png (350x131, 32K)

Except for video game reasons different guns need different smart matter.

Unless it's Ice breaker, and just runs generates its own ammo.

Attached: ice-breaker.png (660x330, 396K)

Wasn't it just Primary, Special & Heavy ammo types? Primary alone is good for all Rifles, SMGs, Pistols & Hand Cannons.

>yellow
Literally a flashlight taking up 1/3 of the gun?
>blue
A round counter taking up 1/3 of the gun
and there's no sights
>cyan
Redundant safety switch, so you can put the gun in full auto when the ballistics computer shits itself and you can't aim it?
>red
Random greebling, literally nonsensical.
>green
ballistics computer diagnostic lights? Right in the fucking chamber?

And the bulk of the gun is just inert pointless material. Then there's dozens of pins holding it together. The stock isn't adjustable. The weight balance doesn't make sense. If the gun has electronics you'd want the battery in the rear, but apparently it's in the front for the flashlight?

Attached: 1557701119736.jpg (1920x1080, 389K)

Not that guy but there's a quote about the AR having some underslung grenade launcher or shotgun attachment that's never seen onscreen. I'm betting there's a way to detach that flashlight and replace it.

>and there's no sights
Because A) the sights are integrated into the Muhreens HUD. And B) there are BUIS under the round counter.

The MA5 is supposed to be semi-modular. Probably uses a system similar to the XM8

Adding to this, apparently this was an in-universe countermeasure against insurgents. The idea was that anyone authorized would have a helmet which provides all the sights & shit needed in conjunction with the weapon. Not sure how that explains Johnson & all the other marines who go without their standard-issue helmets but I guess those guys are so metal their hip-firing is better than most snipers with scopes.

They probably have cybernetics.
Well, they definitely have cybernetics since they’re standard issue, but theirs can probably be connected to their weapons

anyway you dont need sights if you go a HUD aiming it for you

>tfw you will never see an insane walking zombie make a quadruple barrel rifle out of surviving scraps of an asteroid collision

Attached: 800px-Cerberus_+1.png (800x407, 322K)

borderland everything is replicated digitally
thats how they get around you dying too
when you die you are replicated and charged a small fee

Attached: long gun bits for artists.jpg (2048x1144, 459K)

Attached: araki on guns in comics.jpg (600x1067, 225K)

Attached: araki on guns in comics part two.jpg (600x1067, 173K)

My theory is that all sci fi guns, movies and videogames, are descended from movie sci fi guns from an older time. When you had to make shells to wrap around real guns, like the morita rifle (mini 14) in starship troopers, pulse rifle (thompson and 870) from aliens, robocup gun (93r), or even mal's gun from firefly (some taurus revolver). Hollywood armorers and propguys would put real guns in plastic shells to hide the original. This resulted in big and bulky guns, and videogames followed due to concerns over polycounts and such. Even though video game artists don't need to worry about that these days, and they don't need to worry about fitting a blank firing weapon inside, they still are hostage to the same tradition, unknowingly. Most artists aren't gun guys, either, they dont understand the internal mechanisms by which a gun works. The most I've ever seen was a tidbit in the halo 2 art book where it said Robt Mclees wanted to make sure there was enough space for the bolt to cycle behind the action. Guns should be designed from the inside out, but most artists don't.

I think a lot of younger artists are more aware of how guns work simply due to how much easier it is to find good firearms info on the web, but they're still being led by older art directors who don't really care and just want something with "impact", which is why we still see a lot of guns with absolutely ridiculous proportions, ergos, and LED lights smeared all over the place.

Attached: D1xW7ScWkAEkGsY.jpg (1200x312, 70K)

Although there's also a risk of being TOO bound to realistic weapon design, and thus turning every gun you draw into a generic AR-esque rifle.

Attached: weihao-wei-a.jpg (1920x632, 140K)

Attached: weihao-wei-1.jpg (1920x845, 128K)

Attached: ben-bolton-tropic-08.jpg (1920x960, 253K)

for me,
its the ZF-1

Attached: thefifthelement-zf-006.png (1920x800, 333K)

I admit that the pic just reminds me of just about every plastic rifle of that shape. The SCARs, ACRs, 433s, ARX160s, etc. If probably won't be able to tell them apart if I'm shown a silhouette.

>tfw you will never orgasm over your new 1911 like Big Boss does

Attached: 1911custom.jpg (600x450, 95K)

Even if they have to copy existing guns, I'd rather they add their own distinct look to it as opposed to "generic AR rifle #2627485".

Attached: GrineerM16Rifle.png (512x370, 78K)

That, or they should at least copy guns that are a bit more unique and obscure.

Attached: gallforceguns-sandy-1.gif (591x374, 17K)

it's not even that, I have to complain about the excessive amounts of bullshit greebling they always throw on there.

There's always a million random lumps and heat-shieldish looking things sticking out of the gun which seem to make no sense whatsoever.

"Futuristic" guns work best when the theme is hyper sleek and sexy rather than "industrial hodgepodge" because people can't seem to pull that part off right.

For some fucking reason I can't upload images so just take this as a reference for a sleekly designed "futuristic" gun that also implies that said future world just has gun vending machines.

artstation.com/artwork/e9OWP

I think a lot of it has to do with how concept artists set up their workflow pipelines.
A lot of them will just take a whole bunch of gun photos from the internet and photobash them together to create a vaguely gun looking blob.
If the artist isn't very good/doesn't really put any effort in, that leads to the greeble issue where you have gun features that belong in one place all the way on the other side, like bolt catches on folding stocks, AR forward assists on the handguard, 1911 slide stops on a rifle, so on, so forth.

Attached: pavel-proskurin-smg-1.jpg (1920x882, 133K)

To be fair it’s been established that the panel above the ammo counter (see pic) can infact be removed and used to instal red dots, holo sights and even just straight up irons. But who tf installs irons in the first place when you’ve got a helmet that does all the targeting for you.

Attached: 3FCF563C-7981-48EE-8659-798A62F0C8B8.jpg (640x360, 46K)

I actually really like this idea. Has anything ever been built using a similar action?

>Lock into handle.
>Pop into target.
>Drop into bin.
>Keep New Zealand beautiful.
Mega kek.

When I think of futuristic guns I think of something like a PS90 with slightly better ergonomics, firing an ammo which is now exotic but plausible for the near future like telescoped rounds or telescoped caseless, maybe using an electrochemical-thermal igniter instead of a conventional firing pin to squeeze that extra ballistic performance from the propellant charge, maaaybe using a more potent or more ideal propellant if chemistry allows. Outside of that though I see no fundamental reason why a future gun would look dramatically different from a present gun. A lot of the common characteristics of guns exist because it makes them comfortable and convenient to use and just because it's a few decades in the future doesn't change that people will still want their guns to be comfortable and convenient to use. I only think of the PS90 specifically because it's magazine just straight up gives you a lot more rounds to work with and if I were going to build a new general purpose semi-auto/select fire rifle in a mid-sized 3-5 gram ammunition I'd want to give the shooter the maximum number of rounds in a mag that isn't sticking way out from their gun, unlike other 40-50-60 round mags the PS90 mag is perfectly flush with the body of the gun and takes up zero additional space.

Attached: BFC6128E-C0CC-40B8-9321-CE9D85D5F341.jpg (2048x1536, 860K)

Welcome to borderlands

Attached: 2m5yp9z.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

>future soldiers fighting in space n shietz
>they still use riced out AK
How can other designs even compete?

>Da Humiz finks' der shoota iz not proppa

Attached: output-onlinejpgtools (5).jpg (475x658, 119K)

This is too sexy for its own good.

I really do wish a lot of sci-fi guns would cut down on their greebly non-sense but maintain their distinct forms. Like, take the R series from Titanfall. It started out as an M4 with a Glock/Vector angled mag-well. Yeah, it was a step in the right direction to make it distinct from the M4 but it ended up being too busy. I enjoy a lot of Titanfall's guns because they largely adhere to known firearm shapes, but they could be more imaginative with their receivers to make them actually unique but cut down on the busy appearance as well. I honestly don't care if it took away the details that imply it can compact into itself.

Attached: R201_Concept.jpg (1920x2095, 459K)

I felt like the game Binary Domain did a lot of things right for futuristic. This is pretty much an ACR with Quadrails, an AR Stock, and the story-required underbarrel device.

Attached: BinaryDomain-ACR-2.jpg (1920x1080, 280K)

I'm inches away from buying an RDB and making my own BR just gotta figure out how to do the carry handle

Attached: Rdb.jpg (1599x899, 907K)

youtu.be/JMPKywiuQtQ

This and least a couple more WWII anti tank rifles did

If a local shop nearby you has a waterjet you could probably just make the two side rail profiles out of sheet metal, then use a series of C-channels to attach them to each other and to the picatinny rail.

You'll probably need a cheek riser though, the scope mount height is pretty ridiculous.

Attached: weihao-wei-m62.jpg (1920x960, 156K)

Case less ammo dude

Attached: F144C1ED-7A79-49FF-B21B-D9B8D62D2477.jpg (1024x576, 130K)

The biggest problem I have with sci fi weapons is that when the artist tries to make a weapon look cool and badass they typically just add a bunch of unnecessary shit to all the surfaces with no real thought put into why the needs all the shit it has on it. Screwed in service panels, ludicrous amount of cooling fins, knobs and switches that do things for reasons, lights put on just because, bulges and boxes all across the receiver because why not, the list is endless. They always just end up with weapons that look overly busy and just plain painful to hold. It's like the only inspiration they have for a sci fi weapon was Sauron's armor.

Attached: calm the fuck down.gif (345x220, 619K)

The MRC was not born from a video game, but real life Crye mock-up/prototype.

Yep.How I see it .Primary ammo is just the regular stuff that kills men and monsters and does it no frills or anything.

Special ammo is the Primary ammo but with a twist that it is enchanced someway, Be it some elemental damage or some other things going on.

Heavy ammo is mix of the two, but with the added bonus being ammo that it can home in using the different tracking systems heavy weapons use.

Why have you left us, oh Monolith...

Attached: presentation_GUNS.jpg (2560x1362, 1.26M)

>The only settings are safe or auto.
MUH

Try looking up recoilless rifles user.

My biggest problem is all the extraneous bugles and material. As long as we have infantry, all that crap is going to catch on things, fill up with debris, add weight and those are going to be problems. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth but it does have to at least make sense.
Comparing them to the MR-C is kinda cheating. It wasn't designed for a piece of media, but as an industry mockup for a (potential) real future weapon. Then it was used in GRAW
Isn't it meant to be caseless? Caseless intermediate is already pretty damn small (pic related) I image caseless pistol ammo is down right tiny.

Attached: g11 ammunition 4.73x33.png (610x339, 399K)

>tfw live in a state where you can't own silencers
how do I get this aesthetic without the maxim 9

Attached: __tsunemori_akane_psycho_pass_drawn_by_kuso_bba__83c7811c7c5351ab5924e91ce2706b1c.jpg (620x874, 606K)

Here you go user, this the image you wanted to UL?

Attached: william-bennett-206-P411 THrift'n'Throw.jpg (1436x1031, 784K)

Could be more insane.
Like this thing with its 200 round magazine

Attached: PrimeSoma.png (512x312, 111K)

Johnson was a Spartan-1, he's got some high grade cybernetics, the officers also probably get a better kit than standard.

Most games still have shells being ejected
That could be explained with better cartridge tech, even now we have cartridges that are much stronger than ordinary ones but not in large scale production.

>most games
Only in Halo Wars iirc.
Unless you mean game-smgs in general, In which case I'd point out that 30rnd pistol grip mags isn't impossible. The PMRs kind of a weird shape but it holds 30, and the 57 is pretty normal and holds 20. 30 with extendos. Anythiing set even kinda future can easily justify it.
Game SMGs with grip magazines are relatively uncommon anwyay and when they are in the tend to be laid out like the MAC10 with the massive overhang.

Attached: Mac10.jpg (350x349, 25K)

GUNSLINGER's Gauss Rifle? Hell yeah.

Does the lore say somewhere that the guns actually do that? I see people justify Destiny gun designs with glimmer a lot but I don't recall anything that says that's true.

Attached: boolit.png (1035x888, 1.55M)

Most designs are based solely around their silhouette. Luckily the design stage is moving away from 2D concepts and is going toward CAD models in something like Fusion 360.

Nu Hakke guns are as normal looking as they get so they can get away with smart matter building conventional cartridges which then feed a perfectly normal rifle. For what purpose?
>space magic blah blah no explain blah blah

Otherwise its the only explanation for certain weapons having incomprehensible feeding mechanisms, or if they're just shooting elemental energy bolts so its obvious those don't have to abide by the usual rules.

No you just wear a helmet with mandibles.

Attached: ScreenShot0229.jpg (2560x1440, 658K)

what game ?

I agree BF2142 had great weapons design
I still want a Scar 11 or Baur

Attached: Internet_20190424_223235.jpeg.jpg (1024x678, 35K)

Star Citizen.

Why is it segmented and ugly? Less is more this is just hunk of metal

g36 rail

I love how this pistol looks

Attached: MR6_Gunsmith_model_BO3.png (1486x812, 711K)

"game"

No he wasn’t, fuck off with your shitty fanfic bullshit

Always liked the CARB series. Them being built off of real guns made them more authentic to me

Attached: abatap.jpg (800x458, 60K)

Futuristic weapons usually look like shit

easily the ugliest handgun in the entire franchise

I like the concept of the modular, plug and play system. Like an AR taken to 11. Seems like a reasonable development and a useful one for the RDA's use case. Everything from PDWs and Shotguns to Grenade launchers and AMRs all using the same chassis.
Swap the barrel, swap the magazine and swap the action and everything else is compatible, even the magazine well.
Not him but while you don't have to like it, its canon.

Attached: Avatar CARb.jpg (1000x907, 110K)

>its canon.
No it’s not. Fuck you

>I like the concept of the modular, plug and play system. Like an AR taken to 11. Seems like a reasonable development and a useful one for the RDA's use case. Everything from PDWs and Shotguns to Grenade launchers and AMRs all using the same chassis.
>Swap the barrel, swap the magazine and swap the action and everything else is compatible, even the magazine well.
Yeah, and neat stuff like 3D-printed magazines that are just intended to be thrown away when depleted. That's the secret to good sci-fi gun design.

Attached: IBSF_Rifle.jpg (800x1131, 230K)