BCG Replacement QUESTIONS

Hey guys. Its me again. A couple questions

First Problem.

I have an S&W MP 10 (started building/moding) and saw a review that highlighted a problem with the rifle and I want to fix it.

He says that the gas pressure is rough on the bolt carrier group enough to wear it down around 1400 rounds of .308.

I'm looking at getting a better BCG. Would a Titanium bolt carrier group be better?

Like this one?

brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/308-ar-titanium-bolt-carrier-group-dlc-prod116269.aspx

Or would this work?

primaryarms.com/lewis-machine-and-tool-308-bolt-carrier-group

My primary goal is durability in a SHTF situation. The reduced weight of titanium would be nice though.

Question 2

Could I add this bolt to a titanium bolt carrier? Would there be compatibility issues?

primaryarms.com/lewis-machine-and-tool-308-bolt-assembly

Question 3

I read in a thread that you can/should use motor oil for a Titanium BCG.

Whats your take on this? Shouldnt CLP be good enough for it?

Thanks.

Heres the video of the review mentioned.

youtube.com/watch?v=iCHScoG-pg4

Attached: bcg.jpg (880x660, 23K)

Titanium bcg in steel receiver will accelerate receiver wear.

>Buy another cheap BCG
>Wait until current one fails, if ever
>If it fails, replace it

>Titanium bolt carrier
Enjoy your increased rate of fire (greater felt recoil)

>wear it down after 1400 rounds

Define 'wear'. Do you mean some visible finish wear or does the rifle cease to function? I don't think I've ever heard of a bolt carrier wearing to the point of non-functioning.

The correct answer either way is to sort out your gas system.

this. i am highly suspect at the 1400 rounds causing it to "wear down". shoot the shit out of it and if something breaks, replace it.
throwing money at it to replace parts is just unnecessary

How does one go about objectively measuring gas operation on the bolt?

Not even sure the factory issue bolt carrier group has the ability to be modified.

I don't know about the AR-10, but on the -15 you can diagnose such things by your ejection pattern.

The easiest way to solve your gas problems is to get an adjustable gas block. Getting a lighter BCG will simply enable your gun to beat itself up more violently.

Attached: ar-15 ejection.jpg (662x687, 68K)

You want your brass chucking between 1:00-2:00 for the reliable gas operation. AR-15 derivatives are "overgassed" for a reason, even a middy will require an H recoil buffer to prevent the brass from slapping the rail/optic

Attached: AR-15 derivative.jpg (1280x720, 203K)

My .308 has an adjustable gas block. Do that.

Attached: DSCN4721.jpg (3264x2448, 1.72M)

t. nolube

thanks.

saved

Full pic please that thing looks wild

2nd

So with my AR 10 would I not want the ejection to be at 3:00 to 4:30?

>PRI front sight

Attached: 075.jpg (800x450, 47K)

Get an adjustable gas block instead so you can reduce the pressure. Much cheaper that way.

Ive considered that.

What else would i need to do that?

a whole new upper receiver?

What tools would I need to replace gas tube?

Who would tell you the BCG would only last 1400 rounds? Has Colt become that trash?

A ar10 BCG should last well past 10k rounds. Many ar15 BCG's last two to three times that.

But if you really need one. I use the KAK double ejector BCG, which sends brass to the moon.

>My primary goal is durability in a SHTF situation
So you got an AR?

You may want to consider switching to a G3 variant or .308 AK if you have such reliability autism.

you do understand that you are the fucking autist right?

For suggesting a G3 or an AK for a shtf situation in the US

Well I know the M16/M4 layout like the back of my hand.

Didn't like the 5.56 because of all the stories I've herd from battle buddies and personal experiences. Like shooting someone and they get back up and start fighting again. Then found out the 5.56 was used to disable compared to killing. Which is fine for the Cold War Era.

So I wanted to get a framework I was deeply familiar with to the point where I wanted to fix the negatives (i.e. 7.62 > 5.56).

I do know the AK framework is far superior in terms of reliability. While I don't have zero experience with the AK, I sure cant disassemble an AK blindfolded while with the other I can.

Trying to build something in the M4/M16 variety that maximizes reliability. I know what I know from BCT and deployments. I don't think I have the time needed to learn the AK frame before "it" pops off in America.

absolutely fucking not. 1 o clock is seriously over gassed. My rifle works fine at 3.5 o clock and many dudes have theirs adjusted down to barely eject (for suppressor use)

This is bad info. Where the brass lands is dependent on how the brass hits the deflector, not how healthy the extraction stroke is.

maybe don't believe ever dumb thing you hear on the internet

>My primary goal is durability in a SHTF situation.
whoops, nevermind. you can't fix stupid.

Dear lord you are dumb.