What were some of the worst battles to have fought in?

What were some of the worst battles to have fought in?

Attached: 48759C65-7FCD-476B-9810-ED5519C6928D.jpg (511x765, 109K)

Other urls found in this thread:

librivox.org/search?primary_key=73&search_category=genre&search_page=1&search_form=get_results
youtube.com/watch?v=NMwKHnSRaEE
youtube.com/watch?v=IV-CWGZ9V6g
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip_Winter.
thefunnybeaver.com/did-these-two-bullets-collide-midair/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Verdun, the Somme, most of the western front of WWI. The battle in the Carpathian mountains and the Caucasus campaign would have been pretty miserable too.

Verdun, the Somme, Stalingrad, Kursk and Okinawa for starters.

Attached: Verdun Ossuary.jpg (1117x838, 164K)

Cannae if you were a Roman

Hivemind

Attached: The body of a French boy hangs in a tree after being blasted by a German shell. The Battle of Verdun (440x504, 32K)

Teutoberg Forest also would have sucked. Particularly the dying part.

The battles in ww1 France are described as hell on earth so probably that

Attached: AD291466-0726-4612-8AE5-FBA9EFC1F0DF.jpg (1767x2295, 670K)

Second for Cannae. Dan Carlin’s description of the suffering involved in Cannae when he’s comparing it to WWI is just horrifying. You had guys near the middle of the clump of Romans waiting hours to be killed, unable to move due to how tightly they were packed. They allegedly couldn’t even move enough to commit suicide and save themselves the suffering.

Cannae is the most perfect battle I've ever read about, on Hannibal's part.

Attached: Ancient Roman Forum c. 1910.jpg (2000x365, 385K)

Battle of Isandlwana for the British

All of the Korean war.

My list
>WW1 was a shit show so fuck that
>Valley forge was too cold
>so was the battle of the bulge
>fuck storming normandy/iwo jima/ any ww2 amphibious landing
>fuck the chosin res
>fuck getting leaches up your dick in vietnam

cant we fight in a non shithole?

That battle in Ancient china were one army ate like 20,000 civilians and won....

Chechnya, the first war especially, hell even the Ukraine conflict seems pretty miserable, something about the landscape and the perpetually gray skies

Attached: 1554666728888.png (1280x854, 2.07M)

Decisive tang victory

Gallipoli belongs on that list as well.

Battle of Suiyang

As a guy who did nothing but desert deployments, perpetual gray skies sounds great. Hottest and coldest I've ever been were in the desert.

Attached: Two collided bullets from the Battle of Gallipoli.jpg (960x718, 273K)

My fellow hardcore history niggas. You guys have any other suggestions for good historical podcasts in the same vein?

Your Conception.

Attached: Clanking.gif (363x339, 426K)

History on fire

Leningrad, the winter war and the fall of Berlin if you were German

Hell, anywhere the Russians go they bring misery with them

Attached: 4e724fde69bedd097b000026-750.jpg (400x300, 23K)

I'd really recommend Librivox, it is a website that provides audiobooks that are no longer copyrighted and are in the public domain. There are volunteers who read those books.

Done Leviathan, The Prince, and The History of the Peloponnesian War there so far. I'm working through Edward Gibbon's Rise and Decline of the Roman Empire.

They have so much more, a lot on the U.S. Civil War, which was undeniably brutal itself. Bunch of stuff on Great Britain's campaigns.

They have an app, which allows you to listen on your phone. And it is free.

Here is a link to their non-fiction materials relating to warfare.

librivox.org/search?primary_key=73&search_category=genre&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Attached: Battle of Cannae.gif (737x567, 23K)

>look ma, I washed for supper

Common Sense by Thomas Payne is also another good one that is available there. The military part in that is mostly relating to the composition of the British Navy during the American revolution. The philosophy part of it (most of it) is great also.

Attached: Battle of Cannae-2.gif (742x571, 25K)

>The battle had lasted for 303 days, the longest and one of the most costly in human history. In 2000, Hannes Heer and K. Naumann calculated 377,231 French and 337,000 German casualties, a total of 714,231, an average of 70,000 a month. In 2014, William Philpott wrote of 976,000 casualties in 1916 and 1,250,000 suffered around the city during the war.

Attached: 092F52C1-9BD0-4C22-AACF-9FA19901DFF1.jpg (380x500, 61K)

Awesome link man, thanks.

good call, however...like dan pointed out they waited hours, dudes in the trenches waited days and days and weeks knowing death was the next whistle they heard. the devastating physiological trauma is probably unmatched besides maybe stalingrad or Iwo for all sides a 76 day bombardment would be pretty terrible

Attached: leading the....png (781x293, 588K)

Happy to help mate, enjoy.

Attached: Two women collect the remains of a dead horse for food, during the Siege of Leningrad, 1941.jpg (1280x852, 306K)

Tarawa was also pretty fucked up for both sides

youtube.com/watch?v=NMwKHnSRaEE

Attached: 1. lead tarawa.png (960x700, 663K)

The Hill Fighting at Peleliu

Attached: 249D3CDD-E936-4E77-A8DC-15C852EE4EF8.jpg (480x627, 98K)

the Pacific in general was pretty fucked up. however a lot of times guys involved with massive island campaigns wouldn't be on the next one as another DIV was already slated for that invasion. so there was some reprieve, however then the planes came while you were on your way to the next one.

Attached: 1000yrd.jpg (1000x1288, 400K)

Just look at their faces

Attached: 2E2C7A76-6306-4D97-B683-B6F6CD871126.jpg (700x528, 66K)

Attached: Douaumont.jpg (500x704, 156K)

It really did inspire some incredible art, at the very least.

I think it's interesting how even if the war to end all wars didn't end all wars, we've never really quite topped the sheer horror of it, in scale or intensity.

Attached: Douaumont2.jpg (464x296, 54K)

being a nationalist soldier in during '37 in Nanking
youtube.com/watch?v=IV-CWGZ9V6g

Attached: Douaumont3.jpg (941x560, 164K)

I think about this too. It really did a lot to wake people up to the horror and futility of that level of destruction, and got the modern treaty system up and running.
It really was the among the worst and most grueling warfare in recorded history, and at least the wars since than have been about trying new things to win as quickly as possible, sometimes even humanely.

the yeper (with an i) belgium WW1 museum has massive like 80 in interactive tvs that has overviews what areas look like before and after, and filters where you can put all the trench lines, arty, rails, mine explosions, ect. in areas...and its COVERED with shit. the fields have zigzag patterns and bunkers and crater impacts dotted into the country side. whole 1000 year old cities...wiped off the map

Attached: trench.jpg (962x721, 351K)

Attached: fort clusterfuck.png (1545x899, 109K)

Attached: Douaumont4.jpg (760x417, 36K)

Attached: Douaumont5.jpg (700x499, 172K)

>Never quite topped the sheer horror of it
This. We even have set up laws and regulations to mitigate wars. from triangular blades to chemical warfare.

This story summarizes WWI perfectly.

We've gotten close since. WW2 is probably closest, if you split the difference between China, the Russian end of things, the systematic slaughter of undesirables within civilian populations by Germany, basically everything in the Pacific island-hopping and the time that the US not once but twice deleted entire fucking cities from existence in the blink of an eye but nothing quite on the same level of a machine where Europe and the world inserted the lives of its children and got absolutely nothing in return. I think that's the real kicker of WW1, the horror for absolutely fucking nothing of value. No conflict has quite paired that horror and that scale with that total futility since.

>hardcore history
lowest common denominator pop history garbage

>China, the Russian
I think it's interesting that the main industrialized nations of WWI seemed to fight more civilized, while the "developing" nations were trying to play catch up in terms of wholesale human wastage. History will show if they learned the lessons that the previous nations seem to have taken to heart.

oh this nigga must be reading books. sorry we aint fancy

Attached: 1408622398979.jpg (322x259, 9K)

Siege at Bastogne, Leningard, Khe Sanh, Battle of Peleliu, Saipan on first week and the last days, Okinawa, Kursk, and probably more I missed.

Well in that case I'm using 'China' as a catchall for all the shit Japan got up to before we in the west traditionally define WW2 as starting. We tend to pick 1939-ish, they go all the way back to like, '31 or something in most of their literature.

>I have no concept of warfare outside of WWII

Fuck off, it’s interesting and mostly informative. Contrary to popular belief something being widely-liked doesn’t make it inherently bad.

>Decisive Tangy Flavor

>Khe Sanh
>WWII

>bastone
>khe sanh
Cake walks compared to the others

>one (1) of seven (7)

you sure showed me

To be fair, most people really don't give a shit about other wars.

>Kursk
Not sure if referring to battle or submarine...

Do you really want to be in either?

Both were pretty fucking deadly. I guess you’d have at least some chance of survival in the actual battle the ill-fated sub was named for.

Battle of Dien Bien Phu (as a Frenchmen)
Operation Eland (as a Nigger)

Too lazy to look it up, but someone once said that the only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.

>WW1 was a nightmare for soldiers
>WW2 was a nightmare for civilians

Attached: AF50D039-E70B-4F49-AE2B-075EED51F671.gif (256x192, 1.91M)

WWI was pretty rough on the German populous

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip_Winter.

WW2 will always be remembered because the bad guys had such cool uniforms.

Attached: HauptsturmfFuhrerAllgemeine-SSb.jpg (650x778, 95K)

That doesn’t sound that bad compared with being bombed on a daily basis. But I’ve never been in a famine so I’m not one to take serious

Depends how you look at it. Bombing raids are stress-inducing but relatively transient. Famine means you're starving to death around the clock.

>I’ve never been in a famine
Be the change you want to see in this world, user.

Since 1945, this is the most peaceful human kind has been in recorded history

Mentioned it here a number of times before, but I'm doing a internship at the U.S. Air Force Academy. Going over a collection on Aerial Photography and Photo Interpretation during WWI. It is great.

If you love military history, take a look at Archival Science.

Attached: In this aerial photo, a portion of an old reserve trench is visible near the Somme River, on the wes (1247x916, 542K)

Siege of Malta was pretty nuts from what I’ve read

>bad guys

fuck off vince

I mean, attempting to annex and ethnically cleanse your neighbors generally makes you a bad guy. The Soviets weren’t any better, though, and they didn’t even have cool uniforms to offset it.

WW2 will be remembered because there was a clear baddie. It's harder to teach WW I where all sides fucked up.

Their naval uniforms were ok

Attached: A0ED1F2D-B0FB-4209-A84D-0719484F9C57.jpg (1000x1300, 220K)

>female bullets
not even once

>It's harder to teach WW I where all sides fucked up.

Most of the major powers did a whole mess of fucking up except for possibly the Americans, and they would have gotten around to it if they'd been in the war for longer.

Those collided bullets
>fake news

thefunnybeaver.com/did-these-two-bullets-collide-midair/

>thefunnybeaver.com

seems legit

meme war of 2014

fucking lol

Attached: decisive tang victory.jpg (320x204, 19K)

sure thing, moshie

Chinese people arent fully human In the way us westerners think of the word.

Attached: the_chinese_are_not_human.png (2300x1335, 1.69M)

>bad guys

Attached: 1546419949410.jpg (688x960, 156K)

My Grandfather was in the Battle of Leyte as a combat medic. He said they would burn the gooks out of the caves with flamethrowers and theyd come running out on fire. He would tear up talking about the smell of burning humans and the screaming. The gooks would climb in the trees in the jungle and pick people off it was incredibly demoralizing. He later went on to serve in the Korean war as well.

He brought home a Arisaka from the the battle of leyte though.

Attached: signal-attachment-2019-05-13-092319.jpg (2268x4032, 1.38M)

Jesus fuck they dont teach that in school
Im kinda jealous, but my german grandpa did bring back a Carcano after his time in Italy.

Attached: 5EE2BEB0-AA4F-439D-84C6-8A1F92973875.jpg (4032x3024, 3.21M)

well ok then

Attached: !ohfuck.png (670x374, 349K)

I think Antietam would have been a shitty endeavor.

They were all pretty rough. The Civil War had some of the worst because of that exact technological moment when it happened. I'd give Gettysburg a nomination for a really bad fight to be in. Any fight that turns into a meat grinder regardless of the era is bad.

Attached: 14-32843v.jpg (607x465, 68K)

The Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, specifically at the mule shoe salient.
It was literally hell on Earth.
If you were a rebel, you'd be sleep deprived, hungry, and defending a position that is completely surrounded from a relentless, seemingly never-ending Union attack for around 24 hours.
If you were a blue boy, you'd be forced to throw yourself directly into the meat grinder until you more or less drowned the enemy with your own blood.
The rain, mud, and smoke didn't help either side.

>Nothing can describe the confusion, the savage, blood-curdling yells, the murderous faces, the awful curses, and the grisly horror of the melee.

Attached: The Bloody Angle by Richard Schlecht.jpg (1600x1096, 847K)

Where do you start learning about all this shit? I'm a complete noob when it comes to mil history and barely even know how the world wars were conducted

It wasn't too bad for the Knights, just grueling. The Persians on the other hand lost 10x a day what the knights did. The biggest reason it was so chaotic is fucking Seige warfare isn't for pussies

Documentaries, books, and Wikipedia.

bad guys? i preferred the German uniforms myself

Attached: 20325564-008A-402B-83A8-5C02E9106A85.jpg (1024x640, 89K)

I always get horrified thinking about battles from the middle ages. Standing in the first row as a spearmen having literally no escape routes and you are certain in your death, fuck no.

Also getting captured in chechnya as a russian is also my number one nightmare.

You white people had everything, and all you did with it was kill yourselves. Thank you for setting up a world where a darkie like me uses the lessons learned through millions of dead white people to make mulatto babies and get free shit cause ya'll feel bad or some shit lol

Attached: AC2E4C28-3188-4CBB-8B6B-8651E510AC41.jpg (720x540, 20K)

Well that read was... interesting.

Attached: 1529120215954.webm (640x360, 2.35M)