Are swords relevant in combat anymore?

Are swords relevant in combat anymore?

Attached: 1557337656857.jpg (249x678, 28K)

Yeah.

Yeah?

Yeahn’t

Ye'd h've nod'a

Only if the other guy is a weeaboo

Arguably, they never where more relavant than sidearms.

Fuck no. But neither are pistols in the age of SBRs. It all comes down to what the other guy is carrying and what you have on you.

You want to chop some mugger's arm off with your 1796 light cavalry sword, Godspeed user.

Not really. You'll get mad street cred though.

>tfw you will never board an enemy ship and kill it's captain with your sabre

Attached: The_Capture_of_the_Pirate_Blackbeard.jpg (2722x3316, 2.97M)

Of course

Attached: 18C8CBDE-7A55-4D69-B1EB-98AD7A377A55.jpg (730x1024, 92K)

Wasn't there a story about some guy smashing a solider's head in with a hammer on the battlefield or am I wrong?

Attached: 1556817378653.jpg (960x1280, 270K)

Attached: 1556905335595.jpg (800x596, 57K)

No. they have been obsoleted by guns. nobody today knows what its like to use a sword in battle or for survival. you cant trust anything anyone says.

No, of course not.

"Relevant" for the one in 1,000,000 doorkickers/combat troops who somehow manage to find themselves in a situation where they need to not remove a sentry with proper equipment and training or something like that but actually duke it out with a guy in melee with no firearms involved? Extremely. That sort of thing does VERY rarely happen, and you can bet your ass that in that moment anybody with half a brain would suck a fucking dick for a sword, tomahawk, or anything else better than the pocket or ""combat"" knife they're about to try to do work with in a legitimate fight for their life. But that shit ain't relevant outside of those rare 1/100,000,000 situations, meaning its practically irrelevant compared to the extra ammo, HE, medical equipment, or other supplies that you could be carrying instead of it for practical purposes.

tl:dr: technically yes, for those one in a billion situations which rarely occur and certainly fall under the purview of "combat". Practically, no, because "combat" refers to something else 99.9999999% of the time.

Attached: light rail avenger.gif (624x335, 2.06M)

Attached: 1557177988540.jpg (1105x535, 108K)

Attached: 1557329955674.jpg (1400x788, 177K)

Attached: 1557330720209.jpg (732x1066, 114K)

Attached: 1557330892946.jpg (476x931, 96K)

Attached: 1557331422441.jpg (600x312, 23K)

Attached: 1557331485136.jpg (1600x1200, 302K)

please post more swords

If your name is Mad Jack, yes.

If you're commanding a tank, yes

If your name is not Mad Jack nor are you commanding a tank, then you're just humping another 3+ lbs of gear that isn't going to do much good.

Attached: 1287299320544.jpg (585x400, 63K)

Completely incorrect. Roman legions are a good example.

That depends on how you define "relevant" and "combat"
If you are trying to kill your opponent and survive an all out fight between two forces that both have modern weapons, the answer is a resounding no.
If you are some middle eastern shitbag that wants a showy means of executing captured prisoners, yes.
If you get that the other side is a bunch of middle eastern shitbags that will execute you in a horrible manner if captured, then when you run out of ammo, dying in a banzai charge starts to seem more appealing than surrender.

Daily reminder, an officer that goes into battle without his sword is out of uniform

Attached: 54621.jpg (1300x620, 74K)

You forgot about how they threw shit first. Nice try kido

Daily reminder the service pistol is the modern sword.

Attached: pinacolada.jpg (2592x1944, 701K)

Yes. But only if you are fighting someone without a gun

Even if it was real, it's a one of a kind story.

Can it cut enemys head off?

Machetes, pointy stics, clubs, knifes etc. Might become relevan once more if world war 3 happens. A lot of hand to hand in ww2 and later wars happened in close quarters and when ammo ran out.

Attached: 5ff008bba36c996c127e7ccb116fbd9d.jpg (1198x2356, 419K)

>when ammo ran out
So you're saying I should ditch the melee weapon and carry it's weight in ammo, right?

gottem

Unless people magically become immune to getting stabbed/slashed, the answer is yes.

Attached: Charging towards enemy positions.jpg (1500x1052, 923K)

I'm deeply disappointed by the Estonian army for lacking basic winter camo
Eesti=/=beesti

F

So there's the Arms & Armor copy of that sword, the Pavel Moc one, IIRC Del Tin or someone had one as well, and now whatever that is. Popular bugger.

Attached: DSCN5143.jpg (801x1194, 105K)

Still waiting for someone to invent a personal shield so swords become relavent again.

Do bayonets count?

I fear it may be a few millennia before Holtzman's born.

Attached: Kindjal 4.jpg (640x427, 30K)

I'd say those count as spears user

A white oversuit exists, but the basic winter uniform uses the exact same camo as the summer one. This is because the typical Estonian winter largely consists of what's called "Sitt suusailm" (Shitty ski weather) - cold, wet and windy with little to no snow.

They are still widely used in SE Asia for disputes and they seem very effective,especially against unarmed people.A good chop with a sharp sword leaves your meat hanging on a piece of skin.

No but chainsaws are

Attached: download.jpg (2290x1322, 198K)

Yes.

Gay and Gay.

That thing is pure sex. Info plz?

Dont forget about Jack Churchhill, who in WW 2 used a long bow and longsword.
"maniacally fierce soldier was 35-year-old Lieutenant Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming Churchill, and his stunts at this battle, known as Operation Archery, were hardly the most bizarre and semi-suicidal of his life. Over the course of World War II, "Mad Jack," as he came to be known, survived multiple explosions, escaped a couple of POW camps, captured more than 40 Germans at sword point in just one raid, and in 1940 scored the last recorded longbow kill in history. And that's just the CliffsNotes on his wartime rap sheet.

A few units in the modern Flip army use swords, they’re more like short swords. One’s the bolo and the other is the ginunting.

The Ghurkas carry khukri. The PLA has a cavalry force that does drills with sabres but I’m not sure if they’d be actually deployed. If bayonet charges have been utilised in modern warfare, I don’t see why whipping out a Sabre won’t work either in rugged terrain.

swords were always sidearms and very rarely primary arms. now they are irrelevant because knives are more compact and practical. close quarter combat is mostly irrelevant because of guns

Highland broadsword, not longsword.

Now you just made him even more badass.

Military combat? no.
Personal defense? Possibly.
Personal defense happens at shorter ranges and there are less laws covering swords than guns. People tend to be more intimidated by swords because they can delude themselves into thinking that the bullets will miss. You really can't think the same about a man running at you with a sword.

They had two pila and then they closed in with steel. Pila could kill but between shields and misses the Roman Legionaire never expected to end a fight with pila alone.

No, the Pilum was more of a grenade than a primary weapon.

>But neither are pistols in the age of SBRs
Show me a CC SBR that is convenient to carry around and easy to hide (as in put in one's jeans). Show me an SBR that makes a good sidearm and can fit a normal holster.

Frankly, some melee weapons are so light that they weigh less than a loaded magazine. Almost no point in trading one for ammo.

Other melee weapons, like spades and hatchets, are so useful as tools that you would rather carry them than a sidearm. Nothing's quite like having an entrenched position or a roof over your head in the rain.

Semi-serious here.

Could you carve out a murder hole with that?

That is exactly my point, my man. Intermediate caliber rifles are better at shooting people, but most people aren't going to fuck hauling them around. So you're left with the outdated gun, which is fine as long as the other guy doesn't show up with a rifle and a vest.

I don't know if guns are anymore......drones.....laser blinders, thermobarics....nerve agents...ballistic radars etc

Mah boy Jack .

>trigger crank
god i forgot about this

No, they lack reach, but pikes and spears in general are still fine.

MCSWoods made it, he frequents the blade forums. Called it a boarding cutlass, but I don't he makes many of them.

Not really. Swords were expected to see actual use. Service pistols are not, which is why they're usually clapped out shit and a majority of combat troops don't even have them.

Yes, but in the fictitious scenario presented where military units might have to worry about running out of ammo, the 1.5-2lbs of weight that you'd spend on a full on sword wouldn't net you enough ammo to save you being forced into hand to hand combat.

Yeah.

I can't see swords being of much value, but daggers and long knives would be. Something like a Messer could easily take a head or arm off in one swing. Stilettos and rondels can punch through virtually any amount of clothing someone wears. They were made to do exactly that and are still good at it 500 years later.

>Arguably, they never where more relavant than sidearms.
Maybe by your own shitty argument you haven't even presented yet. I think a better analogy would be that they were pistols in a world that never invented rifle rounds.

Even in those situations, you don't need a bayonet to effectively do bayonet drill.

>I can't see swords being of much value, but daggers and long knives would be. Something like a Messer
Messers were swords, user. No shorter than any other single handed sword of the time.

Messers varied greatly in length, weight, and purpose, and didn't necessarily require a sword belt.

And were still swords.

If you define a machete-like object a sword, sure.

They never were.

>machete like object
Knock that weasel shit off. They're long bladed weapons, carried for self defense or war and not working tasks.

Either you consider every fucking cutting sword "machete like", are so damned stupid that you think the different hilt construction magically makes it not a sword, despite being purpose built for the same tasks, complete with a guard, or you said something stupid, got called on it, and are trying to avoid admitting it to yourself.

Which is it?

>They're long bladed weapons
"No."

Attached: Autism.jpg (3867x2578, 338K)

delet this

Attached: 1523551562544.jpg (1334x2000, 1.92M)

If you’ve got the balls for it

They were as necessary as pistols nowadays- in that the whole idea is that it's the last ditch effort

Girl with a totenkopf on her hat? Nah

I'm not going to lie. If you are going to be a cringe Lord then be like this guy. That was slick as shit.

My buddy is an army mechanic fixing to deploy for a year or so. I'm debating getting him a sword as a going away gift, if for nothing else than the awesome "Drive me closer!" meme pics he could take.

Attached: drive_me_closer.png (640x512, 290K)

Ur a dumdum

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 177K)

No idea.

Attached: 5C3DC295-D328-4133-8521-33FC813BE2A3.jpg (974x756, 36K)

>SBR
>R

I guess in your case the R is for RETARD and not RIFLE.

damn, want

>This is because the typical Estonian winter largely consists of what's called "Sitt suusailm" (Shitty ski weather) - cold, wet and windy with little to no snow.
So exactly like southern Finland, but we at least put some effort into the loska (slush/lörts) look

Comfy and kino
But what's up with the totenkopf?

Attached: käskynjakomuoto.jpg (3264x2448, 3.29M)

Some SGM in Kabul had a confirmed kill with his helmet

The skull & crossbones is just a unit insignia.

Fuck off, I don't even have a dog.

Are we the baddies?

Chicken street, Kabul would be a good place to find one of those.

Love this type

God created Arra/k/is to train the faithful