Mossberg 500 vs 590 vs 590A1

Mossberg 500 vs 590 vs 590A1
Which one is best for general use? What are the specific purposes you'd want each one for?

Attached: maxresdefault (10).jpg (1280x720, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-500-field-security-combo-12-gauge-shotgun#repChildCatid=4847566
academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-88-security-special-purpose-12-gauge-shotgun
bid.sslfirearms.com/auctions
amazon.com/Mossberg-5500-Safety-Button-Parts/dp/B00HS5V9UA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Which one is best for general use
500 hands down
thats the only one that is general purpose

590s is overly specialized for home defense/anti human use
590a1 is the same as the 590 but heavier and slightly more tolerant of abuse. the things that make it heavier make it more durable.

i bought the 590a1 because im never planning on selling it and i want it to last forever

590A1 was my very first gun purchase like 9 years ago. Great gun, would buy again.

The 870

590a1 for the roll mark and swap out the barrel 20in barrel assy for a 590 18.5in barrel assy when you notice 20 inches is a bit much for hd.

(((870)))

Stevens triple Chad 11

***8*****
****7****
*****0***

Somebody talk me out of getting a Maverick 88

Imagine pulling a photogenic tooth from a brand new polymer arab baby and excrement smearing on the face of the mainstream media pushing interracial cuckold music

>talk me out of getting a Maverick 88
no

Mine sure has served me well.

Attached: 529D94FD-D48C-4141-A74B-11A3D9F2AB68.jpg (1536x2048, 491K)

500 or 590 for civvie use

The A1 was made to be grunt proof by adding a bunch of extra metal to the barrel, making it really heavy for no reason if you arent worried about Private Tyrone shutting a submarine door on it.

Wisdom. I'm here contemplating soldering a 590-style lug on a 28" accu-choke so I can use it on my 590 Marinecote without changing out the mag tube.
I should have kept my old 500.

If you want to buy a 12+ year old model, sure.

Also,
> 590 trigger group, self lubricating fiberglass-filled nylon
> 590a1 trigger group made of rust.

Why doesn't mossberg make a maverick 88 shockwave?

>Somebody talk me out of getting a Maverick 88
If you take your shotty out to the range and run a box or two of shells a couple times a year and clean it after, you'll have a good home defense weapon for life with the 88. If you carry your shotty daily, maybe watching your fence line or defending against predators or bad guys, buy the 590A1. If you're a regular guy and want a general purpose shotty, buy the 500 with short and long barrels.

>Wisdom. I'm here contemplating soldering a 590-style lug on a 28" accu-choke so I can use it on my 590 Marinecote without changing out the mag tube.
just buy an 835 barrel if you want a longer1

I bought this (i think) 500 for 55$ on that police auction website, I put a stock and a forend on it for 30$ and it's a working, running shotty. Safety on it sucks balls and i've yet to swap that out so I hardly shoot it, but it's cool as fuck and super light too.

Attached: 81f48dbaeb2736779882c3b296265443.jpg (2000x1494, 217K)

This seems like a convenient these to ask in: I've only ever needed a shotgun when I went bird hunting with my dad and I always just use one of his then. But now I'm looking for one of my own. Primarily for home defense and fucking around with, but I'd also like the option to hunt with it, if I want to. Should I just go to Academy and buy this? academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-500-field-security-combo-12-gauge-shotgun#repChildCatid=4847566

I want a longer one with accu-choke, and the mag length of the 835 is different. So I would have to put on an 835 tube as well.

academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-88-security-special-purpose-12-gauge-shotgun

Get this one, also 1 number off of quints

Wait, do cops auction off captured guns where you live or die some sub-80 IQ cop beat that thing to shit?

Any particular reason why?

mossberg 500 and 590 has plastic trigger guards
590a1 has metal trigger guard

It's cheaper, and its basically the same thing, but +2 in the mag for HD.

>> 590a1 trigger group made of rust.
Explain. My 590a1 trigger group is fine?

I assume you're talking to me
But yes. They take them from criminals, and also they do auctions from estates or collections.
bid.sslfirearms.com/auctions

that's either a 590 or (more likely) a 500ATP8, which is more or less the same thing.

Been meaning to do some research, but I bought it and fixed it on a whim and haven't really fucked with it since. The finish on the receiver is blue I believe, but it's a shitty glossy finish. The front sight has a slot cut out like on a M&P pistol, but mine doesn't have a sight. It came with a weird fore end, instead of like a fore end unit, it was a tube with the sticks on it, and no actual fore end. Thanks for the info.

It is fine, it's just metal. It's actually aluminum, which corrodes rather than rusts.
The military allowed nylon trigger guards for a while, then revised the standard and deleted nylon, allowing only metal. This is weird, as it's not any stronger, the trigger guard just bends in and blocks the trigger rather than break, but it's what they want. So it's what they get.
Anyway, nothing wrong with it really. Some people with perfectly good nylon groups pay $80 to "upgrade" to the A1 part, which is great for the gunsmith.

It's cylinder bore, so no chokes

If you never plan on hunting then ignore this post

Those were sold to police departments in several grades, including a very nice grade with a walnut stock and corncop forend, and very nice rifle sights. Some cop stripped all those good parts off the shotgun before it was sent to be sold at auction. The correct forend slips over that tube and is fixed with a nut.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-05-13 20-17-41.png (822x633, 197K)

If you're consistently destroying your pump shotguns- shooting out the barrel, bending the barrel, shattering the receiver, melting your trigger guard, running over your gun with earth movers over and over- then maybe you might need a 590

for the majority of Jow Forums incels who buy one box of estate birdshot once a year with their 5 equally overweight twitch buddies and shoot the dirt, a 500 is fine

Item numbers:
>17
>18
Whichever is the safety retainer or detent, isn't holding the safety very well. Would it be either of those parts? I've tried tightening the safety screw aka
>16
But it didn't help very well. I think 17 is fine, maybe it's 18 that actually is the detent or the retainer. Any tips?

Attached: 7a55134e1d72ba5ec25565597dbd06a7.jpg (2000x1494, 196K)

There is the field/security model that comes with a barrel capable of taking chokes. Or you can just buy any 500 barrel and put it on your 88. The 88 is just a cheaper quality 500 and all parts are interchangeable.

just replace all of it should be cheap anyways

I have an ancient 590AT Police model that took decades of abuse in the back of a squad and later heavy use as a hunting shotgun. The stock and receiver are all gouged up and yet it feeds and fires every time, and is of reliable accuracy.

If you're only going to use it for hunting or sporting shooting a 500 model will be fine. However, if you're getting it as a home defense or a combat shotgun get the 590.

I've been meaning to, lol. I actually don't think i've shot it yet because of the safety issues. You basically have to hold the safety forwards or else it'll always be on safe, because gravity.

amazon.com/Mossberg-5500-Safety-Button-Parts/dp/B00HS5V9UA How does this look for it?

Attached: Capture4444444444444.png (1110x570, 125K)

if its like that its damaged or missing parts probably the detent.

>I actually don't think i've shot it yet because of the safety issues.

Thanks for your excellent contribution to this thread. Perhaps you should load it and cram the muzzle in your mouth. Report results back, or don't.

That's actually really cool. Most places just destroy them I think

>shooting out the barrel
How the hell do you shoot out a shotgun barrel?

I have a 590A1 and a Maverick 88. I shoot the 88 way more.

>I have a 590A1 and a Maverick 88. I shoot the 88 way more.
Why? Elaborate.

Well actually it's mostly because I put a raptor grip on the maverick and I think it's more fun to shoot than the full stock longboi 590. But also because the maverick was cheap and I don't care if I go out and drop it on a rock or something.

I think that was his point, user

Oh, you worried about the A1 breaking your rocks?

If we're talking pre-2007, then yeah.

A cheap memewave would be nice.

just get an a5 bro

A5s are great, but everyone needs a good pump shotty.

Unless you get a new Wingmaster or a pre-2007 870 don't bother

The memewave is already cheap

Shockwave is like sub $300 dude

and a maverick 88 shockwave would be less than $230

There's probably a reason why the memewave is a 590 receiver and not a 500, if they could have made it cheaper I don't see why it wouldn't have been a 500 at launch

590 reciever and 500 recievers are identical.the only change is rollmark. 590a1 recivers have a different finish.
The difference between 500 and 590 is magtube and barrel. The shockwaves use the 590 stye of barrel attachement.

based schizoposter