What do you think of airsoft, can it be a viable addition to your firearms training?

Do you think adding airsoft into your practice routine would we worth it?
Of course there won't be any recoil but the basics still apply, plus shooting paper is nothing like shooting an actual person and the idea of running around shooting children as interactive targets does sound like fun.

Attached: milfsim_meanwhile_in.jpg (1280x852, 291K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4ezHq4KVkb8
youtube.com/watch?v=RqqPsfUE9Wo
youtube.com/watch?v=rIZivcZzqmY
youtube.com/watch?v=KvT6fr_MykY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hello, i am mixtape
i hate airsoft

LARPing for the sake of LARPfests (i.e. Milsim West) seems pretty fun, like a realistic stage play

going extra try-hard in a local field seems pretty douchey though

also, you might want to take this to but eh, your choice

airsoft is great for testing gear ergonomics. you find out real quick that most milsurp gear is actually dogshit and that everyone uses plate carriers for a reason.

/asp/ is just wrasslin husbandos. every other thread gets bullied off the board.

Yeah.

As much as it triggers some people it really can be a valuable training aid. Simunitions are simply out of reach for most folks, but running basic semi realistic force on force encounters with an airshit version of your carry/HD gun with a few buddies is pretty doable. A combination of weekly range trips, daily dry fire, and occasional force on force even with airshit will leave you much more prepared for actually defending yourself than just dry fire and shooting on the range.

What about running something similar to your EDC kit, as that would be of more use to a real world scenario.
Trying out holsters or different places to carry mags, practicing entering rooms or even shooting from behind cover.
I think it could be fun if you get some range buddies and practice cqb together.

Practical? Usually no. But it is really good fun if you get a competent team.

People that sperg out about it on here are just tryhards looking to fit in.

How have you ben at this all day on every thread? Is this a bot?

youtu.be/4ezHq4KVkb8

Skip to about 6:00. Could be a decent way to train certain drills you can't do at most ranges.

I don't think masks are supposed to have slack in them.

>Simunitions are simply out of reach for most folks
Because? The real barrier is price, but you could all go in on a case and get a full loadout for an ok price. If more people were buying Speer FoF the price would go down significantly.

Most of the players are shitters and play with the realization that it's just airsoft, so tactics and responses are adjusted accordingly. That being said, and has already been said, if you can get some friends together who are willing to suspend disbelief and actually behave like it's actual guns or take it as somewhat serious training, it's a fun way to practice some stuff and also get a really good feeling for gear setups and how having carries or whatever else you want on for an extended period feels beyond something less energetic like a hiking day in gear. YMMV, do what you want.

It will at least make you aware that you will die in teotwawki and if shtf. Not from some komando but a rando that you happen to pass by and not notice, it will probably be a .22 to the ear as well

Theres even a story about a guy (Tatsuya Sakai) who won the 2004 Us steel challenge.
Presumably he never used a real firearm untill 2 weeks before the competition.
For the most part he practiced with an airgun and would compete in Japanese airgun Ipsc style tournaments so recoil doesnt seem like it's that big of a deal.

>price
>lack of availability
>questionable legality of discharge in many areas(may be considered discharging a firearm depending on the type of simunition and knowledge of responding officer)
>difficulty of finding a properly zoned range/training facility allowing their use by civilians
>difficulty of traveling to any such range/training facility
Joe blow can do frequent FoF for years in his buddy's backyard for a couple hundred bucks in upfront investment with airshit. Real simunitions would be literally dozens of times as expensive, inconvenient, and time consuming.

Thats a pretty big difference, and too much of a barrier to entry for most folks, otherwise you'd see people training with simunitions all the time.

Airsoft or paintball, Jow Forums?

I've seen it both ways. I paint balled as a kid and really loved it. My friends parents owned an airsoft and paintball shop in our local town and had me tag along to an event in ohio.

That was pretty chill. Just a bunch of dudes camping and playing capture the flag during the day. At night we would drink beer and grill. It was pretty fun actually, one guy had a Vietnam era duce and brought it out. He would do food runs and shit for us. No one was a try hard except for this one kid, and he got better and more chill as time went on.

I thought this was great and wanted to do more. I put about 200 down on an airshit rifle and decided I'd try it out a bit more. The second time I went out was the last. My buddy and I went to an indoor place in Michigan where there was serious cancer.

Most players were like 16 to 18 and were eating MRE's and taking about how they were going to be Rangers and seals some day. Everyone cheated and would break rules. One kid got shot because he tried to be Rambo and advance without cover or fire support. When he got out he ran by the dude that tagged him (pretending to be out) and them unloaded 50 bbs into his opponent's back.

paintball unless you're a faggot

Airsoft as a hobby can be fun. Airsoft as training is kinda iffy.

It's fun if the people you're playing it with are honest, if not it becomes a super frustrating hobby.

Yeah.

Great summary but I just wanna add 2 more things.

Protective equipment and pain.

Some simunition requires the use of their own protective equipment, I'm talking about mostly eye pro, and what they offer may not be what you need. With airsoft there seems to be alot more variety and options regarding eye and face protection, you can even use paintball masks and as long as your goggles or glasses have a certain rating they are good to go.

And I'd imagine simunition would hurt alot more then airsoft. And that could be something that would make people do it less. And getting shot into more delicate areas like fingers or genitals can halt your practice for a while, which isnt a goal.

I sometimes watch youtube of guys playing airshit battles in Austrian ruins and stuff. Looks fun as heck

Paintball is the patrician's choice. A properly hot paintball gun is painful to get shot by. Pain is a powerful instinctual motivator, which sharpens your tactics much better than anything else.

Also Tippmann, one of the leading paintball gun manufacturers makes real guns, specifically scaled down .22lr machine gun replicas.

When the 1986 machine gun infringements were passed by our "representatives," the Tippmann company was right fucked out of their successful business model. In order to adapt, they promptly released a series of paintball guns, and pioneered the game. I'm pretty sure they're also making semi auto 22 AR-15s again.

To top it off, Tippmann is pretty much the only company capable of producing a semi-reliable paintball gun.

Attached: 15826494_1.jpg (1200x748, 87K)

>Tippmann is pretty much the only company capable of producing a semi-reliable paintball gun.
Blowbacks are hard to fuck up. If you take care of any paintball gun chances are it won't go down on you as long as it was made post ~2006

I think that's one of the problems with airsoft.
Not enough older people do it, and the ones that do seem to only focus on the Larping aspect of it.
But even then you can still do it for yourself, most niche hobbies are going to be cancer anyway, hell we're on Jow Forums let's not lie to our selves. The only difference is you're used to it.

I honestly haven't played since like 2006, so my knowledge on the subject is dated. We ran a monthly game out on my family's property, with like ~40 or so players for a few years. Pretty much everything but Tippmann's would go down constantly, while the Tippmann's were rock solid.

used to play paintball a lot in the woods with friends, please fuck tell me paintball aint this gay, also every single video about airsoft shows a hundred instances of cheating

>a fucking miniature .30cal can
fuck the 1986 gca

Paintball is the way
youtube.com/watch?v=RqqPsfUE9Wo

Problem is, there are no communites like that most places.

based klmk

Strip the airsoft frame and buy real parts, that's if the airsoft unironically uses up to spec stuff.

[spoiler] wew, dniwe came a long way [/spoiler]

Attached: BDE0273A-7C29-483B-8C9B-05D9DE693519.jpg (459x344, 40K)

I learned a lot from it. Like was said you'll figure out your gear ergos quickly and get a realistic impression of how well you'll be able to move with your kit and find problems (slippery triglides) beforehand.

yes. especially holsters and mag carry yes. my experience entering rooms is that if the opfor is competent, the first person to enter pretty much always dies and grenades are useful. You will learn to shoot from both cover and concealment in the context of bbs that cant penetrate anything but I don't know how well it'll carry over to real shootout scenarios.

WE. HAVE. THIS. THREAD. EVERY. WEEK.

they aren't not the same by mandate of your friendly neighborhood atf.
they're close enough that you could use them to design a functional look-alike though.

>couple of friends
>couple of c02 blowback pistols and rubber knives
>a day of playing home invasion
it's a wonderful time and can be realistic

most mid to high-tier airsoft guns have almost full compatibility with actual gun parts and they normally try to mimic the weight as well. gas blowback guns also do a pretty good job of simulating recoil too.

Attached: 23423432432432534.jpg (1008x651, 164K)

yeah and look how civil it is compared to the dozens of off-topic politics bait threads.

Gotta earn dat' camo 4 airsoft

t. Canadian Reservist

>price
Fair, but I already addressed that.
>lack of availability
Speer FoF ammunition is readily available.
>questionable legality of discharge in many areas(may be considered discharging a firearm depending on the type of simunition and knowledge of responding officer)
Generally, the municipalities that have an issue with simunitions being discharged within their limits also take issue with air guns of any sort.
>difficulty of finding a properly zoned range/training facility allowing their use by civilians
I mean, that's just because ranges suck but a fair few do offer it in major areas. If you aren't in a major area, just go in the woods nigga what are you doing?
>difficulty of traveling to any such range/training facility
Don't really understand what you mean by this.

I'm not saying it's perfect but I think more people should consider using it over airsoft.
>Some simunition requires the use of their own protective equipment
Only shitty Simunition brand sim rounds. Speer FoF and UTM don't require anything special.
>And I'd imagine simunition would hurt alot more then airsoft.
It doesn't.

I’ve never trained with airsoft, it it looks like fun if I could get with a group of people who were serious about it. I got serious into paintball around a decade ago but it got really expensive.

the issue with paintball is that its just gross. all your gear gets covered in paint, all the obstacles on the field are fucking covered in paint and it never fully washes out.

No.

Attached: 1442967601013.jpg (500x429, 33K)

Your trying to downplay all the valid point's he raised, but he is right. Sim on so. Is nowhere near as accessible or practice as airsoft. I want to know what crack your smoking when you go sim on sim and it's not anymore painful than airsoft

>Your trying to downplay all the valid point's he raised
No, I'm giving counterpoints. That's what a discussion is.
>Sim on so. Is nowhere near as accessible or practice as airsoft.
I didn't say it was. I said it was fairly accessible. The advantages of it should be weighed against the cost.
>I want to know what crack your smoking when you go sim on sim and it's not anymore painful than airsoft
It's not. Maybe Simunition brand which has a million food standoff and requires their specific PPE, but FoF and UTM don't cause more pain than airsoft pellets.

fact of the matter is that even these speer bullet still cost 75 cents a round. so every mag you fire costs about as much as an entire bag of BBs. this is simply not cost effective for civilians

Attached: ss (2019-05-14 at 10.17.15).jpg (1031x484, 66K)

I said weigh the cost against the benefits. They are more precise than airsoft BBs, they have a longer range, and they let you use your real firearms. Remember, we are talking about this as a training tool, not a game you play with your buddies every weekend.

their range is dogshit and their accuracy is pretty much on par with decent airsoft guns (2 inch group at 25 yds) their fps is also exactly the same as airsoft guns (300-400fps)

Attached: ss (2019-05-14 at 10.31.06).png (827x230, 30K)

it's called a "meme", gramps.

I see that in a field, I'm pulling out a real gun

Tippmann makes HPA airsoft guns too

Not so much for outdoor use, just due to the very limited range and how easy a BB is thrown off its path. It can be great for force on force training, or how to clear a corner without smashing the flash hider into your drywall : /

It's good to train kids on safety and proper handling if you live in a commie state like me where air rifles and BB guns are considered firearms but as a sport it has zero uses to actually help you operate. If you want to do it for fun go for it. I like to shoot kids with frozen paintballs at my local paintball place.

How hard would it be for a place to get set up to let people shoot eachother with simuntion in mock-gunfight paintball kind of scenarios ? I know the shit aint exactly match ammo in terms of accuracy but in CQC I think a lot of fun/learning could be had, but like how expensive it is and the insurance.. probably not worth it.

> I like to shoot kids with frozen paintballs at my local paintball place.
Shut up with that shit. Paintballs deform and burst and can't fire through a paintball gun when they get to a certain temperature. They did that on purpose so lying faggots like yourself can't do that.

not really, its good for getting used to the mental image of getting someone in the sights and squeezing the trigger instinctively but thats it really, there are no tactics on open fields its basically a round of battlefield irl.

its fun to hit people with plastic but there will always be a 15 year old dressed in FULL fucking SFOD/SEAL kit and act like hes top shit taking it like its life or fucking death... or the fatty operators that if they rolled down a hill theyd be short of breath. also fuckasses that dont call hits is a big problem.

paintball is where its at though, you cant say "it was a ricochet that didnt count"

I would give anything in the world to walk straight up and right hook this anime fag for being a disgusting human being and a detriment to society. Ofcourse his supporters would be very angry, but they can only throw scratches or else hurt their feminine wrist, so nothing I couldn't handle.

youtube.com/watch?v=rIZivcZzqmY

>ughgh these guys pretend to be soldiers but they never served ONLY I'M ALLOWED TO PRETEND TO BE A SOLDIER

Pretty useless tactically but it's a lot of fun to play, especially at events. Look past the fags in multicam and every user can have fun playing

90% of airsoft is dressing up like a goof

Attached: hero of kvatch.jpg (282x667, 96K)

>airsoft

Its pretty fun and can be an ok replacement for simunitions

So do you just leave the little pellets everywhere or did they solve that yet? Littering and cheating are primary reasons why paintball have always been better.

It's honestly just a fun game. People being super anal about everything makes it not fun. Pulling off crazy operations without fear of death while in the most goofy tacticool outfits is really really fun.

Looks like fun to me, and I guess it couldn't hurt as training. I used to play a lot of paintball when I was a teenager, what a fucking hoot that was. Been meaning to go again but maybe I'll check out airsoft. Just don't go all weird larp guy, remember it's a game and is meant to be fun and you're good.

They have 2 main types, plastic bbs and biodegradable bbs, the latter lasts a week after you open a bag and after that they just crumble and decompose.

WE FOUND EM BOYS THE GAY EDITOR HIMSELF

>a week

try years

Found the Australian.

>airsoft, can it be a viable addition to your firearms training?
based on OP's pic, airsoft is a good way to train yourself to be a bullfruit faggot.

a airsoft thead on k where people dont just hate times are a changing, its fun to overshoot the grown ups and help the chillians but alot of the opr8tors are absolute assholes and the

Airsoft can be very fun
I'm going to a post apocalyptic LARP game this weekend and running a late 90s Serb yugo wars kit

I can't think of a better way of testing out chest rigs and seeing what works and what doesn't.
Also helps that airsoft is 18+ in my country. Almost everyone at my field are 22+.

It depends on the team.
Find a group of aged 20>50 who is not a soldier wannabe.
You have to play innawoods, expect long walks and shitty terrain.
Does your country makes competitions where there's a background story and you have to reach various places and do stuff like an actual operation?
Do that and expect 30/45km of walk in 24h

Test equipment, test yourself, learn trigger discipline, moving silently and stealth innawoods and for god sake learn fast mag change.

If you practiced properly and not just played it as a game. Airsoft has no range and no penetration, so if you play it as a game, you'll walk away with habits like taking cover behind wooden doors and thinking 50m is a bit far to hit someone from.

For stuff like room clearing drills it could very well have its uses, although preferably you'd have paper walls so you could shoot through them.

airsoft is actually illegal here due to 'appearance laws' - anything that looks like a scary black semi fully automatic assault machine gun is right out

Attached: is that a semi auto.jpg (640x742, 39K)

Wtf straya!

>It doesn't.
Then it's not functionally dissimilar to airsoft, dumbfuck.

Depends on where you are but a brief search of some business startup advice sites seems to indicate around $50,000 for a 10k foot range. The field itself is going to be the single largest expense, with liability insurance ranging from 3-5k, kit will probably run you thousands more, especially if you want to set up scenarios with simulated firearms, hundreds for tanks and hundreds more for pumps and shit, hundreds for ammo, hundreds for kit and that's assuming you buy the cheapest shit masks and other stuff you can get.

>bought cool airsoft p90 with metal receiver, put red dot and laser on it
>nowhere to play airsoft with other people because I live in the middle of nowhere

Macaco.

Airsoft is absolute shit and people who think that it can or does have any parallels to training are fucking retards who obviously have zero training.

There absolutely is. I'm a bigger fan of speedball though; milsim is ghey and full of non-athletic tryhard stolenvalor crybabies.
youtube.com/watch?v=KvT6fr_MykY

Whats goofy about your pic at all... The welding helmet? I don't get it.

Attached: llll6.jpg (800x533, 244K)

Vitally important for drilling combatives
If you're serious about self defense you should be conducting force on force type of training on top of your basic marksmanship skills etc.
paintball is better. Wear no protection other than goggles & gumshield.

ANY FORM TACTICAL SIM DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING BRO ITS STUPID JUST DO LIVE REAL AMMO TRAINING BRO BETTER AND MORE REALISTIC MAN GETS THE HEART GOIN

Way to not get the point at all user.
You only learn bad habits and false training from practicing unreal things.
You don't become a better rally racer by driving go-carts on a closed track.

the older airsofters are usually some of the most irritating desu.

Yeah airsoft really helped me streamline my gear, now that i shoot for realzies i know exactly what i need my kit to be

>TFW when old /asp/ will never rise again

It's not fair

It's a nice balance between cost and realism. Denying something because "it's not the real thing bro" is just retarded. Where else can I apply what I learn without actually getting fucking shot at? If you read for a bit you see anons discussing ideas for practical applications.

Not to say poor people shouldnt shoot and have fun; but if you're doing drills and courses money shouldn't be a trade off...
> Where else can I apply what I learn without actually getting fucking shot at?
You still dont get it. Training yourself under the stress of an airsoft game with non-lethal chances will not teach you anything besides how to set up your gear for larping.
The practical applications you see anons talking about are just for gear they only use for airsoft and range time. It has no benefits besides helping you set up your gear.

its funny going into airsoft using only cold-war gear and realize how fucking dogshit it is

>the idea of running around shooting children as interactive targets does sound like fun.
Uh so is no one concerned that the OP thinks this?