What's the Jow Forumsonsensus on .38 special?

Does it still have viability as a defensive cartidge? A light woods gun? A target round? Is it forever doomed to the waistbands of fuds and favela gangbangers?
Please share your thoughts and pictures of your favorite 38 wheelyboi.

Attached: TwinModel10-5s.jpg (1024x647, 178K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU
shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2009/01/p-phenomenon-by-saxonpig.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_10
thesurvivalistblog.net/smith-and-wesson-model-10-review/
youtube.com/watch?v=EFYn5KChBvo
youtube.com/watch?v=WyuWY3NU3e8
gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&mfg=1000259&mo=3001877&Condition=4
youtube.com/watch?v=X1nu5SWdV4E
youtube.com/watch?v=gEHNZFTfSD8
youtube.com/watch?v=BaiGSDiaI_w
youtube.com/watch?v=CEHtRkyTe-0
sixguns.com/
darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm
tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/category/revolvers/
johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings
snubnose.info/
revolverguy.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=oZaxay1eXks
youtube.com/watch?v=eJbsLrAxNjY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZunVgm8tAMQ
youtube.com/watch?v=O1umkX3wM58
ballisticradio.com/2018/01/31/if-you-cant-get-it-done-in-8-6-7-or-5-podcast-season-5-ballistic-radio-episode-238-january-21st-2018/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah.

Maybe

Also, awaiting our guest of honor: Model 10 poster.

Attached: 1556744726606m.jpg (1024x561, 51K)

.38 is fine, I like it.
However I like 9mm more.

Would you trust it as a carry gun?

I'd trust a 5 shot snubbie to go bang each time and put a decent hole in someone, yeah.

Depends on what gun and what type of ammo. If you have the right bullet for your gun it will definitely kill a man sized critter.

This thread makes me worried about my spinboi

Attached: IMG_20190509_155505477-01.jpg (4160x2327, 2.85M)

Sure does. I love my Colt Agent. With a better set of grips and more appropriate ammo (120gr wadcutters maybe?), I think this’d be a fine alternate Carry piece.

Fug

Attached: 91517AFB-E9B4-4BC5-8B73-B5680495EE9F.jpg (4032x3024, 2.78M)

Shot some out of my model 60 today.

Attached: 310D48EA-6195-4250-8A9E-CCF24740E8DA.jpg (4032x3024, 2.61M)

Sub sonic, kills people dead, Revolver can sit in drawer for years and it will go bang. Great round for in the house protection.

>whatcha packin?
>"38"
>hollow points?
>"yeah"
>that oughta do it

Attached: youshouldwashupyougotsomepussyonya.jpg (1428x800, 134K)

Dat file name lol

38 snub still amounts to one of the best personal defense hand guns ever.

I packed a Colt Detective Special, a M-10, M-65 and a 44SPL. The 38 will drop a man, unless they are doped-up, which is why I finally used the 44SPL

.38 special is comfy af

Attached: 20190513_212425.jpg (2576x1932, 1.77M)

Revolvers are for fags and .38 Special is anemic as hell

.38 special can be loaded hotter than 9mm

38 +p from similar barrel lengths is on par with 9mm. According to the FBI and everyone else it’s all you need in terms of stopping powah

I can’t believe people took this sorry ass bait.

In the off chance you are tarded 38/44 laughs at 9x19.

But back to OP 38 is fine, as are revolvers, but you need to practice more to function at a similar level as an automatic shooter, but are generally more tolerant of novices in terms of safety.

To clarify, you are less likely to fuckup with a revolver than an automatic, and they are more tolerant of compromised or weak grip or odd shooting positions (such as jammed in your assailants belly).

But it requires a lot of practice to reload it quickly and effectively, get a bunch of dummy rounds and practice.

I carry a 642 or OG Colt Cobra with P38MA still most days (aka Nyclad aka Chiefs special load).

I used to carry a Model 12 with the same loading and it served well on several occasions (wild dogs) and served well when used against a wild nog, but it now sits in evidence and I despair it returning to me (4 inch round butt aluminum k frame) in a timely manner or in the condition it left in.

In short the best 38 is approximately equivalent to the best 9mm, and even in standard velocity with older loadings I consider it superior to 380.

Recently got a Model of 1905. Which brands of .38 do you other wheelgatters use, generally?

I acquired a Model 12 recently. Wish S&W would bring it back in some form.

Fuck yeah. FBI load. 158 grain swc +p.

Works fine as a pocket carry snub nose

Yes but it's much smaller you retard, .38 is smaller than .9. Go back to school or stop posting.

FBI Load isn't good for lightweight snubs, bullet creep becomes a major potential issue

I think your missing the point of a snub.

Kinda pointless for a snub.

148 Wadcutters for low recoil

125 Nyclad for classic low recoil with good expansion hard to find

135 GDHP +p for best performance with less recoil than the of FBI load

158 SWCHP +p is still a good load for 4 inch + barrels like always, but was never great in snubbys.

Well, I guess I fell for fudd lore. Thanks for correcting me.

No worries 158 FBI will still work in a snub and will still kinda expand, it's just not optimized for such an application.

Your getting more recoil with less performance.

Oh yeah Hornady does some good .38 too. Crit defense for snubs and 158 xtp for 4+ inch.

If you got a 4+ bbl ranger 130 +p is good.

Lots of good 38 out there (it's been around since 1899) but each loading is more optimized for an application.

There isn't a "just buy 147 HST or Ranger" like with 9x19.

I just got one recently and I like it but I’d still rather have the 12-33 rounds that a striker fire pistols have. Maybe with hollow points but it’s a HARD maybe

Ur gay

Actually a 38 special uses a .358 bullet where 9mm uses a .355.

Idiot.

I've had really good results with remington white and green box. +p hollowpoints for around the same price as standard range ammo

might as well go for .357 magnum if you're getting a revolver IMO

>Oakley McCrewcut walking down the street
>nog jumps out of the shadows, brandishing a Jimenez
>he lets off six shots into McCrewcut's face
>they all bounce off his perfectly groomed facial hair
>Oakley's beard crackles with energy, his muscles bulging and threatening to tear through his Nine Line t-shirt
>he fixes his gaze on the mugger his irises glowing bright enough to be seen through his wraparound shades, and whispers just one word...
>"anemic..."
>the robber screams as the flesh melts off his bones

I've been looking at revolvers for a while, and I'm set on a 686 because I can shoot .38, .38+p, .357, and its got a purdy frame.

38spl is fine and I don't hate guns only chambered in it, but I do think it is a bit silly in this day and age if you're not going for a smaller carry piece. Thicker frames are nice, and who doesn't love THICC? That being said I carry a 5 shot cheapie taurus from time to time to sub out for my other autos. I trust it to go bang and 38spl I trust to give someone a bad day. 5 shots ain't the best, but I do from time to time carry a speed loader for extra. If I don't carry that I carry a DA/SA single stack semi auto. Also anyone saying 38spl won't fuck up your day hasn't seen all the various loadings available nor has seen a wad cutter touch flesh.

Have you checked the ejector rod for looseness? I carry a Model 82 (S&W model 10-sized) and Every time I go to the range, the ejector rod becomes loose.

>Doesn't know what the th king metric system is.
>Probably thinks the AK fires 7.62x51mm because its '7.62'
>"that's why the recoil is so bad"
>Being this obvious of bait.

>against wild nog
Greentext time

Attached: 1540625420651.gif (600x338, 3.04M)

Currently looking at getting pic related. Plan to carry Ranger 38 special +p. Looks like it reviews well. Alternative suggestions for ammo?

Goddammit

Attached: Screenshot_20190513-171351_Google.jpg (1079x835, 193K)

Bait

Subsonic? No.

Nightstand gun: .38 WC
Nightstand "I heard a noise downstairs" gun: G17 and spare mag

The frame of the 1905 can handle the +p alright? I know mine was made after Smith and Wesson introduced their improved heat treatment process. So it is possible that money could handle +p pressures.

maybe

go 44 special/44mag
38 and 357 is chill too

probably not, just don't shoot +P in it dude, if you need to use it for defense just get some wadcutters or Hornady's standard pressure CD 110gr

5 shot 38 special revolver is literally my edc, either 637 or 360, they are smaller than everything else I have

I'm certain that statistically the shittiest .38spcl loading of bullets has killed more people than most modern stuff in pistol calibers. I'd use it as more of a guide line to do better with something else with better potential. A pistol isn't going to be perfect, a perfect 38 round might do better than some of the other things that exceeded it but that's a ceiling compared to a floor. If your basement is decked out and nice as possible, the other option is build upward. Quite a lot of nice 38's though floating around. Great collector pieces if you know about them. Probably okay carry pieces.

.38 Special was fine 100 years ago. Unfortunately, people have become more resistant to bullets in the CURRENT YEAR than previous generations, which means that anything less powerful than 9mm can no longer be called dependable in most defensive gun use scenarios. Also, anything more powerful than 9mm out of a pistol has the same terminal ballistics as 9mm with the added detriment of more recoil.

>There are people who actually believe this shit.

.38 special probably killed more people in all of its history than .357 ever did.

>Jimenez never made a 38 special

Way to fuck it up retard

godfuckingdman this show made me want a 627 performance center smith. To make matters worse my lgs has one but I dont have 1200 dollars to drop

Attached: 1557799584884.png (645x597, 258K)

Depends on price knowing kimber it’s bound to be expensive. A lot of revolvers are available that are quality without the high price

What show Is it?

Attached: j frame will be your angle or yuor devil.jpg (1504x1004, 363K)

Oh the price is great on the Kimber. 600 for the gun, case, 2 speedloaders, holster, and paperwork. It's in immaculate condition. I'm more interested in seeing if anyone here had an opinion on the Ranger ammo. I've carried it before in my 1911 and never had any issues with it. Just seeing if y'all have any experience with how it performs in .38 special and if there are better alternatives.

38 is great, I love it. it will fuck someone up. its a bullet.
t. model 10 owner

True Detective

Low quality bait.

Well it’s still bound up in grand jury but here we go and pretty clear cut.

>be me getting ready to go out and run some errands
>dressed so I have the model 12 iwb SS
>loud pounding at front door
What fuck?
>open door and upstanding redguard is there
>makes noises about selling something
>say not interested and go to close door
>redguard attempts to force entry
>it’s happening
>knocked down
>redguard on top
>he’s hitting me with something I didn’t know what was at time (walmart brand light/bat combo thing
>draw weapon somehow
>can’t get good alignment or grip or much of anything
>press gun out as far as it will go, feel it stop
>guys eyes go wide
>fire two shots (had it jammed in his gut)
>jumps up and tries to run
>decided to turn back around
>I’m more upright and better alignment now
>starts towards me
>send another round
>critical hit
>guy falls over
>last round hit right between nipples dead Center chest
>try to get up fall over
>call police from the floor
>police/fire arrive instantly
>turns out I lost consciousness

I almost died I think

Skull fracture, missing teeth, broke nose, broke wrist

And that is my watermelon removal story that the watermelon almost removed me.

And before anyone asks, yes it’s gonna be ruled justified and I’ll get nobilled but it’s been quite expensive. Lawyer, Doctors, Copays, etc. happened somewhere in the Deep South, no dox please.

The hottest .38+p is hotter than 9mm +p+, modern commercial .38 special is anemic, but handloaders or boutique ammo buyers aren't restricted. Back in the day people loaded their model 10's with some truly hot shit rounds.

fucking niggers. you did good. that gun saved your life, and no fucking leftist can ever hold that to you. great job.

king of the hill

They're not worth it. Bought a 627 PC and sold it within 6 months. Lost 200 bucks on it as I sold it for 1k

Fucking hell

Admittedly .38spl isn't ideal by any means but I still carry a j frame .38 because it's light enough to carry in gym shorts for hot ass days and a revolver can't be pushed out of battery which is something I just personally value in a carry gun and a snub nosed .38 is synonymous with self defense everybody knows some fudd cop or lgs workers who spouts "all yuh need" so you are far less likely to spook people who are Shakey around guns if your piece shows at all, certainly not as effective as a wonder nine or .44 but it's not for fighting or hunting it's for expanding your personal bubble and for that it's ok enough

>favela gangbangers
Have way more kills than Jow Forums. 38 has been putting bodies in the grave for over a century.

38special with +P is right there with a 9mm. I think they are a little harder to shoot with small hands.

Love my 686 over all my others. Trigger so fine

.380 basedboy detected

Never buy a gun made in NY, fuck New York.

And .22 more than that and for the same reason.

Final post about me and not the wheelgun

Several things strike me, I likely wouldn’t have gotten more than 1 or just 1 shot off If I would have had an automatic (remember I jammed it in the stomach to start) so it would have been out of battery.

I also likely would have had a malfunction from a compromised grip.

All the other “common knowledge” was true.

One assailant (thank god)
Three rounds fired
Under 3 yards (contact distance to maybe 4 feet)

I post this from the incident site, my neighbors didn’t call 911, I was the only call, and no one has spoken to me about it besides family and the legal system, one family member made some comments that I didn’t like so yeah.

Thing that stocks with me most is the look when he felt the gun or the shots.

It wasn’t like the wild/feral dogs at all, especially after he acted like he wanted to come back after being shot.

Oh yeah gun details:

S&W Model 12 4” k frame (aluminum)
Painted front sight
Tyler t grip

I had safariland Comp 2 speed loaders and 2 bianchi speed strips on me but didn’t use them.

Ammo was Federal P38MA (standard velocity lead SWCHP 125 grain Nyclad “chiefs special load”).

Holster was some leather IWB with snaps that I got from a gun show, old as dirt, don’t remember name if it had one (also in evidence).

They took the ammo I had on me, loading devices, gun, and holster.

You're hardcore dude. Sucks you got your wig split and blaster confiscated though.

Attached: knowing-is-half-the-battle-and-the-other-halfis-violence-14321109.png (326x498, 224K)

how much has this costed you so far? what is the time frame of this all going down?

Not really, I feel like a guy who got his ass kicked and lived.
Still got my other guns, right now I'm carrying a OG Colt Agent or S&W 642 (and both sometimes).

Costs? Still haven't got the ambulance bill, ER was 250 copay, then another 250 for the days in. Lawyer I'm in in about 3k.

I'm not hurting bad financially, but it hasn't been cheap at all for a "bright line SD" shooting, and I'm not trying to "e-beg" at all.

Oh yeah the gun was 450, holster was 20, ammo was maybe 20 bucks, loading devices maybe 60.

Nice

Oh yeah time frame, since the incident? a couple months.

Incident time? less than 3 minutes, in total from him forcing the door, to the final shot and me calling 911.

A DAO K-Frame .38 is the ideal sock drawer gun for the person who will never shoot or go to the range but still wants a gun for home defense. A revolver is impossible to fuck up and think it’s unloaded when it is unlike a semi automatic which can hide a round in the chamber. Laugh all you want, this is a legitimate concern especially with novice shooters and people who just want to own a gun and keep it in their sock drawer then forget about it. The likelyhood of an ND is more apparant than having to use lethal force which makes for a spurless DAO modification sound. Unlike a semi auto, revolvers can be left alone with no care or maintenance given to them over extended periods of time whereas a semi automatic while more durable for high round count shooting, cannot be left around in a drawer somewhere without the required lubrication required periodically. Yes, a semi auto can definately run bone dry and dirty but it is still pertinent to lubricate any defensive semi auto.

Revolvers are absolutely outclassed by pistols thanks to a numerous amount of reasons but they definately still have their place. .38 J Frames are a very viable deep concealment and pocket option. Federal is still making good .38 loads.
>t. personally dislike revolvers and favor high capacity semi automatics equipped with red dots

Attached: EB47BAF7-3EA1-467F-BE34-931702FEF9E3.jpg (1500x894, 468K)

This may be me asking for the moon here, but can I get a cheapish (sub $650) revolver that functions decently but isn't donkey anus levels of ugly / covered in giant ALL CAPS text proclaiming the company name or even worse, a safety warning? I live in a questionable area for college so I am dirt poor and been almost robbed a few times. I have a mak currently, but a bigger bullet for tweakers might be nice.

>just buy HST

youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU

Attached: 38hst.jpg (4032x3024, 2.87M)

If your cyliner is heat treated it can handle +p just fine.

shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2009/01/p-phenomenon-by-saxonpig.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_10

thesurvivalistblog.net/smith-and-wesson-model-10-review/

youtube.com/watch?v=EFYn5KChBvo

youtube.com/watch?v=WyuWY3NU3e8

gunbroker.com/Revolvers/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&mfg=1000259&mo=3001877&Condition=4

www.thesixgunjournal.net/a-revolver-buyers-checklist/

youtube.com/watch?v=BaiGSDiaI_w

Attached: 1556918806293.jpg (1287x994, 596K)

Attached: 9.jpg (1280x960, 336K)

Attached: Smith-and-Wesson-38-MandP-inch-Pre-Model-10.jpg (2543x1352, 367K)

Attached: TOTT_8_target.jpg (1086x610, 566K)

Attached: Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector Model of 1899.jpg (3090x1881, 783K)

Attached: 148607482151.jpg (1350x728, 238K)

Caleb Giddings consistently puts out good information on revolvers for self defense. Same goes for Chris Baker from Lucky Gunner.

Attached: 7ePqlI.jpg (3872x2592, 733K)

Attached: 1534011861502.jpg (1345x992, 565K)

Attached: tumblr_p75qqyJ3Nd1trumyso1_1280.jpg (1280x1102, 386K)

I am not sure how I feel about this. you abaolutely helped me, but you didn't call me a nigger faggot or anything. Thanks user!

Attached: DsXzPPRWsAEM_WA.jpg (781x1200, 382K)

sixguns.com/

darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/category/revolvers/

johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings

snubnose.info/

revolverguy.com/

youtube.com/watch?v=oZaxay1eXks

youtube.com/watch?v=eJbsLrAxNjY

youtube.com/watch?v=ZunVgm8tAMQ

youtube.com/watch?v=O1umkX3wM58

www.thesixgunjournal.net/a-revolver-buyers-checklist/

ballisticradio.com/2018/01/31/if-you-cant-get-it-done-in-8-6-7-or-5-podcast-season-5-ballistic-radio-episode-238-january-21st-2018/

Attached: 1899B.jpg (2431x3206, 1.5M)