Serious question, when and why did it become socially unacceptable to open carry a sword?

Serious question, when and why did it become socially unacceptable to open carry a sword?

I imagine somewhere around the late 1700s / early 1800s, but I couldn't find anything specific when lazily googling. Was it just trend? laws? What was it that made cane swords become a thing because nobody would want to open carry anymore?

How come that if you open carried a sword in 1400 you would get all the bitches, but if you open carry a sword in the US in 2019 Jow Forums will make fun of you?

Attached: 170712093023-texas-sword-knives-law-trnd-large-169.jpg (460x259, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e68nuAcSuWQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah.

I’m sure it all depends on the man, with your patchy beard and overweight body and lowborn status of course you’ll be made fun of. But if suddenly the British aristocracy were to have their men carry swords at their hips I don’t think it would be seen as all that silly

I think people would carry stuff like this even in post revolutionary France. Just in case someone say wild shit about you in you have to settle it up in a duel. I might be wrong.

Attached: S_210415-MLM25232215777_122016-O.jpg (500x500, 22K)

OP mentioned cane swords user, learn to read

>how come culture and fashion trends change over the course of 600 years, Jow Forums?

Yes, how come? I'm not saying that it's weird, i'm asking for how the process went down.

Which country. It was never acceptable in the US. Certain soldiers during conflict could. It was pretty rare in the Colonies and only a handful of people even had them during early settlement. People in Texas will make fun of you because they have GUNS.

>but if you open carry a sword in the US in 2019 Jow Forums will make fun of you?
Because you're carrying a sword to look cool. You're basically waving a giant "I'm a nerd" banner, Its not authentic. If you have a real reason to carry a sword by all means. Swords look dope as fuck with Dress Uniforms, nobody would care if you walked around like pic related, providing you're an actual Officer..

Attached: swords.jpg (2100x1400, 2.1M)

>, i'm asking for how the process went down.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I believe it was legal issues. I know that was the case in both Japan and in England. In Japan only the Samurai class were allowed to wear swords. Once the feudal system was dissolved and the Samurai class disappeared, so did the legality of carrying swords. In England it happened sometime in the 1800's when the legal right to self-defense disappeared. I would imagine similar situations happened elsewhere.

Those were more for self-defense against muggings than they were for duels, and they were common in many countries not just France.

Funnily enough, Sword sticks and sword canes are well known from all the famous European centers of cutlery making. Sheffield, Solingen, Toledo, etc. And sword-canes are also well known all over Europe from cities known for firearms: London, Birminham, Liege, Ferlach, etc.

They are much rarer from US makers, though US makers built plenty of concealed firearms. For whatever reason sword canes were much less of a thing here. I wonder if it was simply because we jumped straight into the firearm version instead?

When it become socially unacceptable to wear a Fedora

One of the guys Jim bowie skewered I'm the sandbar brawl stuck him with a sword cane before he died. They were used in the u.s. too.

They were used in US as well, but generally the fashion for walking canes was much less widespread there.

when those vietnam fucking shits decided to usurp the heavens

Attached: nobunaga.jpg (447x499, 21K)

>when and why did it become socially unacceptable to open carry a sword?

implying

Attached: 1553707304814.gif (624x335, 2.06M)

Whenever dueling became a socially unacceptable thing. Probably around the early 19th century.

why people still die because of drowning from a boat is retarded, similar thing happened around my area when a kid fell off a boat in front of a huge group and they couldn't find him because he cant swim but wasn't wearing a life jacket

Proper dueling did not require carrying. Duel had to be arranged weeks in advance, so that both duelists and their seconds could tie up all their obligations and legal issues and meet in a properly prepared place with all the necessary equipment properly checked and with them both in the perfect physical and mental condition.

Fucking summer

>How come that if you open carried a sword in 1400 you would get all the bitches, but if you open carry a sword in the US in 2019 Jow Forums will make fun of you?

Because if you open carried a bone club in 1400, Jow Forums would make fun of you.

Oh, and it was generally REQUIRED that the weapons used are NOT personal property of the duelists, and were supposed to be supplied by seconds. Otherwise there was a high risk of tampering or cheating in some way. With weapons provided by the seconds, who stood in no threat to their life or health, and who were required to be in suffering of no grievance or offense from either of the duelists, there was less incentive for tampering, and in case tampering did happen it would forever stain the second's honor, and would be valid ground for getting challenged to another duel by the opposing side's second, and even any co-seconds on the same side if there be any, since it stained them as well.

With exception certainly happening from time to time, ofc, but those were considered outrageous - even more outrageous than the duels themselves.

its legal to open carry a sword where I live but the only people I have ever seen with swords also wear naruto headbands

legal =/= socially acceptable

you're missing the point, butch

Attached: 1516623885576.gif (500x293, 68K)

I think it's really contextual. Same with 'open carry' of guns. Some places people do it all the time, and nobody really cares, some places someone does it and everyone loses their shit.

I mean if I think about it, I've open carried swords more than I've ever open carried guns and I carry a gun every day. To be fair though, the sword stuff was at renaissance fairs

thx for letting me save that, but in this context, it does absolutely make no sense user

Reading comprehension, broskis. I said they were rarer in the US than they were in Europe, not that they were unheard of here.

We made shitloads of walking canes with weapons in them. They just tended to be guns rather than blades.

Attached: remingtonRifleCane.jpg (600x401, 113K)

It does if you're not too autistic to make the connection between Narutards wearing their hadbands IRL and certain people not knowing what's socially acceptable.

Duels were illegal in most places since the 1600s. It persisted anyways. The last recorded duel was fought in France in 1967.

youtu.be/e68nuAcSuWQ

those fags count only because they had a camerateam with them? i've had a duel to death with my buddy waide, he spent 4 fucking hours in er, where's my fucking medal? that shit was 2011

>things that didn't happen

ok i spent the 8 fucking hours in er, still paying that shit off. but still, how the fuck do those french fags count for the last duel, while me and waide clearly had the real last duel in history? fucking faggots

Guess you'll have to do it again on video this time.

Do it pussy, you wont

i'll do it again u nigger, against you. we'll meet at SC gun company, Greer, SC, tomorrow at noon. i'll bring the rapiers, don't you care about that.

you're fucking dead, bitch. just like waide.

B/c it was replaced with carrying knives as swords attracted attention and knives were cheaper for the poors. Traditional uniformed blues for the Marines use a saber, but with the Advent of guns no one wants to carry around such a cumbersome thing as a sword. It's around WW1-2 that formal wear accompanied by a sword was phased out as a rifle became the staple of the military man.

Virtually everyone in the US South carries a knife or multitool. Occasionally there is a stabbing, but people also tend to carry guns which relegates knives to more mundane uses.

It’s still perfectly legal to wear a sword in Los Angeles as long as it’s not concealed. Obviously not really “socially acceptable” or anything

Niggers still duel with glocks

Because you'll look like a gigantic fucking dork

Carrying arms in a well tailored suit is just cool in general