I'm in the market for my first firearm. I've been shooting ~20 times with my buddies and their guns...

I'm in the market for my first firearm. I've been shooting ~20 times with my buddies and their guns, and can firmly say my favorite to shoot has been a 357 revolver. 357 ammo is a bit pricey, so about half the time I shot 38 special from it. Definitely didn't feel as good, nor did I have as much fun, but it was still a nicer feel than any other gun I used.

My question for you is whether I should just buy a 357 and shoot 38 special most of the time or go for a dedicated 38 special revolver. I've heard there can be issues with carbon buildup shooting just 38 special in a 357 (shouldn't be an issue with regular cleaning), but there's also the question of price. The cheapest 357 I can get in my local shop is ~$500, while I can get a 38 special for $300 flat.

Attached: 38 or 357.jpg (1000x751, 134K)

Yeah

Go for the .357 revolver, trust me, you'll regret settling for a .38 special.

>357 ammo is a bit pricey,
Not really.
Also this

just clean the gun after you go shooting. it takes like 5 minutes to get the fouling out. What models are you looking at? A lot of people are in the opinion you shouldnt cheap out on a revolver for a few reasons and normally suggest a model 686 or gp100 as a reliable yet affordable first.

if you buy in bulk online you can probably get ammunition a lot cheaper per round. check ammoseek

it's like $350/1000 vs $200/1000

honestly, the 38 special I was looking at was S&W pre-war
so pretty cheap

thanks man, will do

that would be an exception and cool as a collectable at least if its in good shape. you could buy a 357 later but if you really want a 357 just get it first

Get a .357 and get into reloading. Get a Smith or a ruger preferably.

Also, If you like .357 from a revolver. Then 10mm will be your semi auto caliber of choice in the future.

For carry, target shooting, hunting, home defense, hiking defense?

Either way, I'd just get a .357 and clean it. Revolvers are not maintenance intensive, the only real disassembly for regular maintenance is taking off the grips so you don't get gun oil on the wood.

thanks for the tip
really what I enjoyed about it was I felt like I could lean into the gun as I shot and always got my tightest grouping with it vs other handguns
the 9mm kinda felt like I was flicking paper footballs

Get a Taurus 605, you can pick them up for around 300$ new. Plus Taurus has an amazing warranty.

aren't they known for being "cheap"?

They're affordable but that doesn't mean they're bad. They used to have problems with safety and quality control but they've fixed the bugs and become a market leader in the US. It's affordable but the 605 I recently bought has a great DA trigger, a feather light SA trigger and shot through 100 rounds of rem golden saber last saturday without a hiccup, my groups with 2 seconds between each shot at 10 yards were saucer sized. You don't have to buy a Taurus but if budget is a concern and you want a new gun with a lifetime warranty I'd pick a Taurus. I don't mind if mine gets scratched or if I use it in a defensive shooting and it becomes evidence I'm not heartbroken because I'm just out 300$

Do it fgt

>t. Did the same thing

Attached: IMG_20190509_155505477-01.jpg (4160x2327, 2.85M)

thanks for the confidence - I might just do that
yeah, pretty much

start off on a taurus model 66 7 shot revolver for around 300-400 dollars new.

it is 357 however, making and reloading your own 357 is easy.
357 magnum is one of the easiest cartridges to reload and the cost efficiency is worth it. your loads will be accurate and you will learn more about firearms and ballistics than most folks.

I have had a plethora of 44 and 357 and 38 special and have always ended up on settling on the 357. I have had NO problems with any taurus revolver and don't let other peoples shit posting tell you otherwise. This is coming from someone who has spent a shit ton of money on the PC revolvers from smith & wesson. and other expensive colt and ruger revolvers available.

yes
theyre a market leader because theyre cheap and function long enough to get through the hundred rounds a year casuals put through them.

Say what you want but there's plenty of people who've ran thousands of magnum rounds through their Taurus revolvers. If Taurus was such a poor product they wouldn't sell plain and simple there would be news stories and reviews from respectable firearm public figures that Taurus couldn't stay in business, but there they are at your lgs and the big stores on the streets and in the hands of experienced individuals who are pleased with the value a Taurus revolver gives them.

>only function for 100 rounds
That's an easy way to bankrupt a company when they offer a lifetime warranty.