What carry ammo do you use?

These are my fuck-your-shit rounds. What's your favorite carry ammo? What's your least favorite? Is +p a meme?

Attached: 1557867507396303223614.jpg (3120x4160, 2.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/714001307/redirect
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Speer gold dot +p

.357 remington golden saber. It shoots well, I haven't chrono'd it out of my snubbie but I'm sure theres a video of someone doing it out there. I really like the way it shoots and it lets me get quick follow up shots 1.5 - 2 seconds

I had a handful of those OP but I bought some of these on sale a while back. Haven't shot any of them though.

Attached: 54010-DEFAULT-l.jpg (1350x900, 287K)

You really should. Everyone who buys carry ammo should test at least a mag through their gun to make sure it works. God forbid you have a FTF during an emergency...

Federal HST 124 grain. If it's good enough for the FBI to shoot children and dogs with than by god, it's good enough for me

Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135 grain plus pee

I reload 200gn swc 45acp. Keep them around 950 and they punch holes

Almost all conventionally loaded pistol ammunition from Federal, Remington, Speer, and Winchester is chronically under loaded. By as much as 75 to 100 ft./s - most of that stuff is pure trash. I do a lot of chronographing and CorBon and Buffalo Bore are the only ammunition out there that’s loaded properly. I carried a P226 in .40 S&W and me and most of the other pmcs over there loaded ours with Cor-Bon. I shot a guy in Ramadi right above the knee with some 40 Smith & Wesson Cor-Bon 135 grain stuff I believe and it left his lower leg hanging by two threads. Revolver ammo is another issue and most of that is properly loaded.

For my .38 I use those guys in your OP(110+p) and HST 130. For my 9mm I carry Speer GD 115+p+

>PMCS in Ramadi shooting someone in the leg with .40
>Left their leg hanging by a thread
This sounds like some bubba tier fuddlore. Care to elaborate user?

> quick follow up shots 1.5 - 2 seconds
>1.5 - 2 seconds
>quick

user....

I use Critical Defense in my J Frames, but I use the standard pressure version.

Critical Duty

Quick for aimed shots out of a .357 mag snubbie. It gives me time to assess between shots as well, there's a firearms instructor who used to be a cop who got in a pretty gnarly shootout and he advocates taking your time between shots for a few reasons.

Federal HST or Speer Gold Dots because ATK is the best.
Winchester PD1 is fine too.

Any recs for 9x18 defensive ammo?
>inb4 don't carry a Makarov

Tarvis Haliegh pls

>elaborate
OK, we were sent to support a checkpoint which was mind numbing work for a week. Two nights in we encountered some dumbass 30 something local (later turned out he was part of a local militia) was crossing the street and we repeatedly told him to “ogaf”. To make it clear for those who work in Iraq, it’s pretty obvious that we have a large standoff distance between us and the local crowds so there is no one just strolling around in our little perimeter. I was actually aiming at the hip but he raised his leg and I shot him just above knee. I shot him. It was lucky for him because someone else was aiming his M4 at his chest. Anyway we treated him and obviously got him out of there. We used a tourniquet but it took 2 hours for a helo to get there. He survived as far as I know. I literally don’t have any idea why people think that 40 is a week around especially with the lighter fast stuff. And when I say threads I basically mean his LCL and MCL Lol

You never shot anyone you fucking larping faggot. I hope you get cancer

I roll my own 9mms for carry. 147gr XTPs in new Hornady cases, loaded to P+. Federal primers for best ignition.

Hornady underloads their shit

You gotta say Yella Yella, or yella emshee

This goes doubly so for meme loads like the speer safety slug. I bought two boxes of those to try for my HD pistol and they wouldn't reliably cycle and their grouping was weird as fuck. If they work in your gun, great, but it's not a given when you are dealing with a radically lower grain weight than standard loads. I'm curious about the XD memerounds for the same reasons.

Silver bear JHPs. Not really seen any ballistic tests, but they look like the old school 'flying ashtray' style bullets. I would expect good penetration and modest expansion. They feed well and hit where I aim in my Makarov.

Attached: 33245-DEFAULT-l.jpg (1350x900, 141K)

Attached: 871094.jpg (880x660, 57K)

so you dont have to deal with lawsuits later
>youre dead

That's contentious, though I can see your point. But this is why we train right?

Federal 147gr HST.

Only correct answer

Attached: 354047BA-39C0-4E66-9613-961EBB294121.jpg (2235x2896, 1.24M)

This shit does nasty stuff to ballistic gel. Permanent wound cavities multiple inches wide. Can't imagine what it'd do to someone's insides.

Sure does a number on rabbits, or so user tells us.

Attached: 65gr XD @ 2250+fps, from .357sig longboi.jpg (2752x3096, 3.85M)

Fmj because I’m not a larping fag

Recoil is amazingly light as well. That plus practically no noticeable drop within 30 yards

Hornady makes some.

Favorites: Federal 180gr HSTs in my .40 calibers, Sig VCrown 124gr in 9mms, Federal 90gr Hydra-Shoks in .380, alternating Federal 130gr HSTs in .38 Special, CCI 36gr Mini-Mags in .22lr. All meet FBI penetration standards in the firearms I use them in. Least favorite is anything labelled +p. Pick your ammo wisely and you don't need the extra heat; I believe that projectile design is the most important factor in defensive ammunition, and I prefer softer recoil for faster follow up shots.

That shit has some serious power the stuff it does to gel will scare you

thank you for the well set up evidence user, you deserve a (you)

Winchester Ranger RA9T 147gr
but I'm running out and am transitioning to
Federal HST P9HST1 124gr

I don't trust meme ammo.

id rather have a round proven on live targets through historical data

Hijacking thread to ask whats the gnarliest 9mm ammo I can find.

green and white box 115 gr. jhp.

>I don't trust meme ammo.

But user you’re strictly using meme ammo

>gnarliest

budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/714001307/redirect

>Pick your ammo wisely and you don't need the extra heat
This. Most defensive carry loads are well tuned to get the penetration and expansion you want without excess recoil and muzzle flash. There is little to no reason to go with the +P loads.

Too many grains, not enough crosses.
Vamps gonna drain you for sure.

Attached: 9mm-luger+p-65-grain-xtreme-defender.jpg (801x602, 35K)

I have a g29 in 9x25 Dillon with underwood 90gr XDs but I just boutgh dies to reload my own 65gr XDs for it.

Attached: _20190403_130045.jpg (2594x1526, 827K)

they all fall to hardball

if 1rd is not enough keep pulling the trigger !

somehwere I read that whoever gets the 1st hit in a gunfite has like 90% chance of winning

Attached: DSCF0666.jpg (1600x1200, 602K)

>Is +p a meme
If you're using modern JHPs, pretty much yes, with the possible exception of .38 special where the standard pressure is truly ridiculous.
But if you're using Lehigh magic meme-flute bullets, where more faster = more better, then why not? +P or +P+ is the next best thing to going full .357sig or 9x25, but this way you get to keep those two extra rounds of capacity.

>9x18 defensive ammo
The best hollowpoints for 9x18, that is to say the ones that have reasonable penetration and reliable expansion, are xtp bullets. Underwood's +P JHP uses these bullets and has higher velocty due to loading it hotter. That's my choice. Check out the .380 ammoquest for a massive comparison of different types of .380 ammunition which is fairly close to 9mm Makarov.

Ok

They don't reliably expand though. They're cheap and at worst, so most of the time, they act as ball ammo. Wouldn't be my choice for self defense ammo.

I carry Underwood ammo’s 90 grain XTP +p .380. The box says 1200 fps and after shooting a box of it I’m inclined to believe that.
It’s fucking hot out of my Thunder.

See my “trainer” for my Ohio license had the philosophy that there should only be one story in the court room and it should be yours.

Attached: BigIron.jpg (443x334, 66K)

Critical Duty .45. Also carry Critical Defense in my 9mms. Rustington Golden Sabers in my 85F. Speer Gold Dots for my .327 SP101.

I pretty much abide by this philosophy, given that I’m not gonna be fucked by the crime scene evidence.
If jack isn’t there to say he just asked for a light and happened to have a knife in his other hand, me plugging him instead of getting stabbed is gonna be a good story.

I either carry Hornady .454 Casull 240gr or handloads that push a 185gr XTP to 2100 fps, depending on the time of year

I carry both CD and HST. I guess i just like variety. Least favorite would be anything by Winchester because their qc is horrible

Attached: IMG_20190426_090232.jpg (3024x4032, 2.51M)

They haven't been under ATK since 2005 or so.

I use wwb 9mm nato

Liberty Memmo Civil Defense 9mm. Because the rounds so light, the gun feels almost empty, and the bullets are of a pretty silver color, I love how they look in ETS group mags. Almost no recoil, they go through soft armor, but are hearing loss causingly loud. A .357 SIG load would be interesting, but they dont manufacture one.

Attached: 609520i_ts.jpg (1155x1155, 49K)

I shot a raccoon with Critical Duty 6 times.
>zero exit wound
>complete hamburger

Ranger T, HST or Gold Dots

Lmao. I can run my gp100 quicker on target than most dudes can magdump-nogroup a semi auto. Sp101 im a little slower but not much.

Be quick or be dead.

I bought 500 rounds of Sig Sauer 124gr 9mm a few months back for $0.25 a round.

Based

9mm Critical Duty. 10mm Hornady Custom.

You DO carry two types of ammo, right?

Attached: 20190515_135117.jpg (2160x2389, 1.91M)

Currently 9mm & .380 Critical Defense. Plan on switching to underwood xtreme defenders soon.

Attached: 495950.jpg (880x660, 80K)

don't buy 20 or 25 round cuck packs, you're paying anywhere from 80 cents per round to $1 per round while they literally charge cops half that.

i usually buy 147gr HST for 9mm, 75gr Gold Dot for .223/5.56. I'm getting in some Federal 135gr +P bonded, supposedly very good

bs. a raccoon isnt 18 inches in any dimension

why yes I do nigger

I must be the nigger here is the pic I tried to post

Attached: multi threat.jpg (4128x2322, 2.58M)

user, I... Ballistics gel represents bone, skin, and organs. Penetrating 18 inches through gel doesn't equal penetrating 18 inches of body mass.

Nice! The #2 Philips is always a handy bit.

based golden saber bro
I use the 180 grains in my .40 S&W Jericho

you didnt shoot a fucking raccoon with hollow points come off it fag. their bones arent that thick their skin isnt as thick as cow leather used in gel tests and they are only 5 inches wide. you didnt shoot at a raccoon and nothing came out the other side because you didnt shoot at a raccoon. what a stupid ass lie like who even gives a shit what you say on the internet what did you hope to gain by lying?

Ballistics gel only represents soft tissue.
The other user is exactly right though. You didn't fucking shoot any racoon. Their skin is soft like a rabbit's, you can tear it off with your hands. Their bones are fucking tiny. Hornady's meme polymer tip ammo is second rate. You've never shot anything.

First off, not the raccoon guy.
Second, are you guys actually memeing this hard about ballistics gel or are you retarded?

>not carrying 124gr +P+ 9x19

>not knowing anything about a topic
>chimes in anyway
Quality post.

Tell me what to buy .380 +p for beretta pico. Something like 95 to 100 grains so that this sexy pocket gun cycles

Attached: Lesters.jpg (362x460, 46K)

I run HST 147 +P in my P-09 because fuck the world

Depends.
9mm is 124+p HST (M&P 2.0 4")
.40 is 165 Ranger T (Glock 22)
.45 is 230+p Hornady XTP (USP. 45)

These are my only preferred rounds and not meant to shit on any other options. The key is, they all feed reliably in my chosen pistols. But here's my logic behind these options. HST 124+p expands reliably and penetrates deeply causing a decent temporary cavity
165 Ranger T is just an all around badass round. While not 100% reliable at expansion, they are still devastating.
230+p XTP are great at a minimum expansion and maximum penetration making it a good hunting and self defense round while still expanding. Just my 2cent

it would be this if I could fuckin find any. so in its stead, Winchester [pdx1] defender 124gr +P bonded jhp

SGAmmo has Gold Dot 124gr +P right now if you're looking

thanks fren

Had to make the move to these since HSTs always seem to be sold out at the shops I frequent. I found it to be pretty good stuff, though, and good price.

oudoorlimited
sgsmmo
bonefrogclub
midwayusa

just to name a few

don't forget targetsportsusa

lel, I've been carrying Underwood 220gr hardcast for my g29

I agree and I'm still training but if I sped up right now my groups would open up way too much for comfort. I'll get there some day

yeah but I'm smart enough to carry two different types of it. Hollows for soft targets. Hardball for those pesky ones that like to hide behind cover

protip: Don't buy a beretta pico