Why did so many Americans allow themselves to be captured by enemy forces in the Vietnam war...

Why did so many Americans allow themselves to be captured by enemy forces in the Vietnam war, compared to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? Are "war on terror"-era forces simply better at basic soldiering and staying out of enemy hands?

Attached: mccain-prisoner-of-war[1].jpg (1500x1015, 209K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burst_of_Joy
youtube.com/watch?v=2wesL_la69c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most Americans captured in Vietnam were pilots shot down over the North. The US has gotten significantly better at mitigating enemy air defenses (SEAD) in the case of countries like Iraq, and it's fought countries with no appreciable air defenses such as Afghanistan. Saddam's SAM network in '90 was arguably more advanced relative to US aircraft compared to Vietnam's in the '60s, but the US had become much better at managing ground threats. SAMs were a relatively new technology in 1965, so the tactics to defeat them had not yet been well developed.

In Iraq and A-Stan we had conquered the whole country with only somewhat small areas of real enemy country left. In Vietnam on the other hand the North had an intact country where we didn't have any ground troops (well, aside from a handfull of spoopy glowdudes).
That means the North had the means to house, interrogate american POWs while we had no real (political) means to enter his country, fuck his shit and free our guys.
It's not like Iraq and A-Stan didnt have situations where some US soldiers got captured. But most of them got rescued within days.

Attached: ogden-homecoming.jpg (1940x1260, 955K)

Because with the Vietnamese there was a chance that they would treat pow's like pow's.
With goat fuckers it's 100% guaranteed you're getting tortured and then having your head cut off on video.

Bergdahl seemed to come back in one piece.

>But most of them got rescued within days.
I wonder what percent of them either died in the camp or did like 4+ years. There's one guys POW story on youtube and he was imprisoned for 7 years.

That picture makes me so sad what a cunt.

>what a cunt.
Huh??

>Stirm was shot down over Hanoi on October 27, 1967, while leading a flight of F-105s on a bombing mission, and was not released until March 14, 1973.
>Stirm later learned that Loretta had been with other men throughout his captivity, receiving marriage proposals from three of them. In 1974, the Stirms divorced and Loretta remarried, but Lt Col Stirm was still ordered by the courts to provide her with 43% of his military retirement pay once he retired from the Air Force.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burst_of_Joy

That's a typical boomer woman for ya

youtube.com/watch?v=2wesL_la69c

Attached: 1555997765561.jpg (554x530, 35K)

manlets have smaller hitboxes and are harder to hit.

Attached: Dien Bien Phu 54 French POW.jpg (1180x787, 351K)

*Typical woman for you

>t.military spouse

Attached: 1531398511207.jpg (583x446, 131K)

Fuck man, didnt know that when I posted the pic. Fucking whore deserves to rot in misery

www.deseretnews.com/article/298354/FAMED-PHOTO-IS-TARNISHED-FOR-POW-WHO-CAME-HOME.amp

he fucked all of them and they turned him into a trap.

I don’t know much about cold hard facts on the matter, but I imagine that it was a few things. There was a lot of dissent against the US and its involvement in the war, as-well as the psychological aspect of fighting a war where the enemy didn’t always wear a uniform, and could strike at any moment from the bushes and trees. It was a fighting style the US hadn’t really encountered yet if at all, so it probably terrified these barely-adult aged soldiers who had to go out and shoot blindly into the canopy while an invisible enemy shot at them.

Because Vietnam had enormous amounts of air defenses that shot down US aircraft you fucking retard

That's what he gets for marrying a thot.

jungle

>gets cheated on a minimum of three times while rotting in a cage
>still has to give the thot half of his well earned retirement pay

I'm no MGTOW but this shit is why they exist. Fuck that bitch and fuck divorce laws.

American troops were POWs in Desert Shield, Storm, and OIF and OEF.

A whole platoon of motor-T soldiers got captured in OIF.

Some sailors were captured by Iran after the nuke deal during Obama's term.

Americans were captured in Somalia in 1993

But these wars were on a different scale and a whole different level than Nam.

the vietnamese had an actual military complete with SAM's, which were shooting down planes.

perhaps you didn't notice this but afghanistan does not have a SAM network

she thought he was dead, its not entirely reproachable to want to move on.

isn't the official "you are now dead and we are not going to look for you anymore" timer 11 months for MIA/POW's? dude was gone for six years. I can't imagine anyone thinking he was still alive.

>Why did draftees surrender to a professional army in an unpopular war
>Why didn't professional soldiers surrender to disorganized goat fuckers incapable of winning a one on one confrontation with their own dick
Yeah, I wonder

uh, the vast majority of prisoners were pilots, who are officers and not draftees.

yeah so why is everyone tutting?

ok. you cant ignore the 43% tho. i wouldnt fault the man for going on a rampage.

she knew he was a POW, especially once the autistic guy, Doug Hegdahl, memorized the name of every POW and then took early release and gave the list to MI in 1969.