M249

She's nearing retirement age.
Who will replace her?

Attached: m249-saw-light-machine-gun-usmc-soldier.jpg (2560x1440, 943K)

Yeah?

LSAT
S
A
T

yeah.

M27s you dungo brain

Inadequate

>t. pic related

Attached: quackime.png (665x800, 41K)

Dumbass. 27 comes way before 249.

Is that project still chugging along?

Britbong here, our army are just disbanding LMGs in favour of marksman rifles to my understanding.

Yep, just had some new life breathed into it. TEXTRON took over, ditched caseless, went with telescoping polymer cased ammo, and got a contract to produce about 100,000 units for field testing IIRC. LSAT in name is dead but the project is still ongoing as of last month.

More M249s

You're also getting rid of your light mortars for some ungodly reason.

NGSW-AR which will be chambered in a 6.8mm VLD magnum round.

what, the 60's?

Mk 46 and 48 obviously

M60a2

So you'll have no self-supporting light infantry? That sounds fucking stupid m8.

Hmm

Training and maintenance costs

They claim that the lmg is ineffective and that the ugl and marksman rifle can suppress even better. But ugl is limited in what it can do and they put all the marksman rifles in storage. I read the letter that was sent to our unit, it's utter bullshit and another retarded decisionby the MOD. Are any other nations getting rid of lmg's? No.

this

Ahh that's kind of a shame still. What advantage does that new ammo even do over caseless?

>our army are just disbanding LMGs
You're fucking with us right?

How so, s o y g o y?

>What advantage does that new ammo even do over caseless?
The advantage over caseless is that unlike caseless, this ammo actually works.

>Are any other nations getting rid of lmg's? No.
USMC, but they are just replacing them with MMG (M240s) and marksmen

They actually don't look too bad all things considered.

Attached: https _api.thedrive.com_wp-content_uploads_2019_03_aai-rifle-3.jpg quality=85.jpg (1440x810, 187K)

Attached: https _s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com_the-drive-cms-content-staging_message-editor%2F1553618687690-ct.jp (1200x606, 125K)

They might keep L86 LSWs but the M249s are gonna be gonners for definite.

Attached: https _s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com_the-drive-cms-content-staging_message-editor%2F1553618832514-rifle (1200x661, 126K)

>L86 LSW
I thought those were already gone

The Marines just finnadabbed on everyone meming that they were gonna use the M27 as an autoriflman weapon, when in reality. They just cheated the process to get a new service rifle. AR’s only work in conjunction with crew served weapons anyways. The meme of accurate and precise suppressive fire is fucking dumb. You’re not gonna be able to perform area suppression with an AR. You’re not gonna be able to achieve and maintain fire superiority with an AR. They are a means to give small teams and squads that are maneuvering with the aid of another team giving fires to facilitate said movement, the ability to perform fire and movement as they assault towards the objective site to supplement the fire and maneuver.

the phasing out of the M249 in USMC service is very real, like I said they are going with more emphasis on the M240 teams that they already have in their weapons platoons.

The MG-4.

melty trash

M250

MG42 please.

It’s very stupid. You can not have an entire infantry platoon rely one one or two M240s to die all the suppressive fire for you. The only reason why the SAW gets a lot of hate here is because the military really fucking sucks at refurbishing weapons. So chances are some Jow Forumsommando got issued a decades old 249 and preceded to bitch about it. Thinking it was the weapon that was bad when in reality, it was just old and busted. Having a platoon of 3, 12-15 squads depend on two fucking 240s for all of their needs ain’t gonna cut it.

The links stick in that fucking useless magazine port that no one asked for.

t. SAW shooter

off the shelf option: KAC LMG
nearly off the shelf option: CT LSAT
what will actually happen: nothing.

Wow, fucking spellcheck.
>inb4 phonefag
Get with it gramps, Ishiggydiggy

The KAC LMG is nice, but the barrel is too thin for prolonged use. Because you know, you’re not gonna have delta guys shooting that thing. You’re gonna have 19 year old muhreens shooting that thing.

Nothing you fucking commie, there's nothing wrong with her.

just use a fucking mag.

Attached: 7.62-mm.jpg (1280x720, 288K)

It's not a prolonged-fire role to begin with; but if the TL is slacking on fire control, it has a quick change barrel.

Attached: physical autism.jpg (491x521, 154K)

>mareens

That's the root problem lol. A army platoon with 3 9 man line squads has 2-3 240s at plt level, plus the gustaf/javelin teams.

I mean, if you get in a protracted tic. Even if you’re only firing at a sustained rate the whole time and being Johnny on the spot with the barrel change. It’s still gonna get hot after awhile.

I thought Army platoons only rocked two 240 teams from the weapons squad and pulled AT teams from the company weapons platoon when needed?

Retard. The new ones don’t have mag wells anyway.

Not to my knowledge.

No less than 2 240 teams. I had a mk48 assigned in Afghanistan also.

That forend looks awkward. That looks like it might be a better design for a bullpup, though I know nobody would go for that.

>Belt fed
>Better use a magazine

..... What?
Do you mean stick an empty mag in to allow the links to collect?

Huh, I always wondered why the fuck guys would go patrol out with Jav teams with them when they’re only fighting opium farmers. Seems like a heavy and expensive piece of kit that serves zero purpose.

The company weapons platoon is mortars - usually 2 60mms.
With peacetime manning cuts, the platoon weapons squad loses organic AT (2 2-man teams) first,then the 3rd 240, because keeping up line skills is most important. Unlike the marines we're all the same MOS and switch around in the plt.

No, brainlet. Take the bullets of the belt, grab some empty mags, load the mags, and then use the fucking mags. Instead of making your squad carry extra belts for your retard ass and complaining about problems with the belt.

No wonder people hate their military and call you guys welfare queens, jeez user

most of the time you don't. TOW's are actually insanely useful in Afg due to long sightlines.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE FUCKING M60

A modernized PKM?

I'll address these complaints.
>Take Bullets out of the belt, load them in magazines
I appreciate that as an interim solution, but the name of the game for SAWs is sustained fire. As much as I complain about the M27 disintegrating link, it is a fine solution to the problems introduced by non-disintegrating belts (weight, length, etc.), while retaining the sustained fire aspect of the belt-fed MG in general.

>Squad carrying extra belts
LMAO no. You just go ask them, tell me what they say.

>Welfare queens
That's Raytheon, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin you're thinking of. I work a skilled job in a niche field and get to do things I never would have thought possible. The Army does want me to be healthy and happy (to protect their investment), so it spends money on getting (medical care) and keeping (pay, housing, cool jobs) me that way.

Why are you so angry?

RPD, I think.

Attached: akane-chan who replies to anything you say.jpg (360x399, 42K)

What about an Americanised PKM?

>disbanding LMGs in favour of marksman rifles
mediocre

A 240?

If we're going to keep the IAR setup:

Turn one of the riflemen with an IAR into a "gunner" type role and give him a couple of drums (D60s or something else that actually works none of that Beta-C crap) to be used on command, but use regular mags all other times.

The other dudes in the squad who would formerly be carrying belted 5.56mm now only have to carry a drum.

Instead of giving current A-riflemen IARs to replace their SAW, give them 240Bs instead and have the guys not carrying drums for the IAR guy lug along belted 7.62x51.

It's short recoil operation.

240 is significantly heavier than a pkm. They're both better at different things but the pkm is the lighter of the two.

And what happens when that 60 round mag runs out? No matter what you would never be able to keep up with the sustained fire of a belt fed.

Came for it, leaving satisfied

Mags in the saw jam like a mother fucker. It was a retarded dod request that they ended up regretting and no one used.

Belts would work fine, my platoons saws rocked everything. The moment you tried putting a mag in it became an m16 with 3 round bursts and jams.

///CONTROVERSIAL OPINION AHEAD///
>The USMC should've refurbished their stock of M16A3's while also refurbishing and refitting M16A4's into A3's while also ordering new A3's from FN for their new service rifle.
>The M249 and the concept of a one man SAW is superior in every way to a magazine fed Automatic Rifle. All it needs is an upgrade or a replacement with a weapon of similar yet improved design.
>Frontlines: Fuel of War is the true sequel to Battlefield 2

Attached: frontlinesfuelofwar_1a.jpg (1024x614, 112K)

Less extra work to prevent cookoff, caseless can be made to be more than sufficiently heat resistant but it's easier to just give it a case of stronk plastic, also since you'll still get heat extraction the barrel and chamber cool off better than with caseless and the case telescoping ammo gun is actually very slightly lighter.

I humped that bitch for over a year as an 0311.

Stop crying.

>what happens when that drum runs out

"Hey PVT Snuffy, the well's gone dry throw me your drum".

what do you think happens when the A-rifleman runs out of belts? only difference is that now the other team members only have a drum instead of a belt.

>No matter what you would never be able to keep up with the sustained fire of a belt fed.

I'm not advocating any decrease in belt feds, the people who are currently A-gunners get their 249s replaced by 240s and a rifleman gets the new IAR gunner role.

The argument is that anything a belt fed 5.56mm can do a 7.62mm one can do better except for be lighter and more mobile, so ditch the 5.56mm beltfeds for 7.62mm ones. Any shortcomings in mobility are made up for by the IAR gunner who now has the capability to deliver fairly sustained suppressive fire in a pinch, something that he couldn't have done before as a rifleman. And when he doesn't need to deliver that suppressive fire, he uses regular magazines like everyone else.

>She's nearing retirement age.
Who will replace her?
>"She"
>"Her"

Typical male patriarchy. Always tries to gender shame and called something awful with female name. "She"? "Her"? Shame seeing gender inequality still reigns in Jow Forums.

Nice femdom post shemale

>carrying a drum mag is just as easy as carrying 100 rounds of belted ammo
oof
>Using GPMG's/MMG's in the role of a SAW
Their is a reason why the SAW works. It works because it is designed to be operated and crewed by a single man. Not a team. Hi-cap ammo box's rather than small 50 round nuttsacks, small enough to be carried and even shot while on the move, and no asst gunner. Combined with the fact it's in 5.56, making it easy, compared to 7.62, for a SAW gunner to carry the recommended 600 rounds by himself while riflemen can carry 50-100 belts either in a pouch or tucked away somewhere. Doing that with a big ass 7.62 machine gun defeats the purpose of the SAW. The SAW facilitates Fire and Movement for an individual Fireteam/Squad, while a crew served weapon such as the M240 facilitates Fire and Maneuver for separate units to move. I don't know about you, but hip firing a 240 while only having 50 round nuttsacks doesn't really seem effective when you're fireteam bounding towards the enemy.

Automatic Glocks.

The Russians seem to make it work with their PKMs and RPK-74s, or are Russian soldiers made of tougher stuff than American troops? Are 7.62mm machine guns too much for poor widdle American soldiers? Gimme a fuckin break.

>The Russians seem to make it work

It's sad because he's serious.

The Russian's run on a doctrine that is taken from their Soviet days that is focused entirely on the Operational art of warfare rather than the tactical. Meaning, they don't give two fucks about small unit tactics. It has always been about amassing huge amounts of combat power quickly to the enemies point of weakness's. RPK's aren't really used because the Russians learned that that strategy doesn't really work, something the USMC will learn soon enough, and having PKM's in each squad is an old school strategy born out of WWII where a squad was based around the crew served weapon. Emphasis on "crew served". Just because the Russians field PKM's at the squad level, doesn't mean they are used in the role of a SAW. They still use a crew and the infantry are there to support them, much in the same way MMG's are used in Infantry platoons in the US and many western militaries.

Attached: soviet afghanistan aesthetic.jpg (800x450, 155K)

A 240 is more of an upside down belt fed BAR than anything else.

I have my doubts about what the Marines are doing, but they've tested the all-M27, no-SAW concept for years including combat deployment of units with that equipment set. The idea appears to be that you can to at least some extent trade fire volume for accuracy and get the same level of suppression. Again, this isn't conjecture on their part, they claim to have tried it and it works.

It's not completely retarded. The M27 is pretty much an RPK, and lots of people have used RPKs in place of belt-fed LMGs for a long time.

Unless there's been a very recent change, there are only 2 M240s in each Army platoon.

(I've been mech for the past four years and those infantry platoons have 0 M240Bs)

>The meme of accurate and precise suppressive fire is fucking dumb.
If you're using the Ultimax as your LMG its perfectly possible though.

>never served
Shiggywopwopdoo

One of my favorite posts on this board ever was a Dane that deployed to Afghanistan sharing his experience meeting some black US Marines
>AYO GET A PICTURE OF ME WIT DIS NIGGAS AN HIS NAZI SAW
Fucking hilarious, wish I'd screencapped the whole story.

Caseless is a bad idea for a machinegun. One of the greatest advantages of cased ammo is that it carries heat out of the chamber with each case. Ejected brass is hot as fuck, we all know that. Now imagine all that heat contained in the brass going into the chamber walls of the gun itself and not being ejected out of the gun after every shot.

Brass is just a gun's sweat

>You can not have an entire infantry platoon rely one one or two M240s
why do you think there is only going to be one or two M240 teams?

dude polymer is a better insulator than brass, so less heat is transferred from the case to the chamber. The USMC literally just proved this with their polymer cased .50 bmg rounds, the polymer cased guns heated up slower than the traditional brass cased guns.

>the polymer cased guns heated up slower than the traditional brass cased guns
So what you're saying is the polymer cases withdrew less heat out of the gun because they act as a poorer heat sink compared to brass?

Attached: thinking powers activate.gif (500x373, 408K)

I'm saying the polymer cased guns heated up slower than the traditional brass cased guns

as less heat was transferred from the brass to the chamber. meaning the chamber receives less heat.
>heat sinks lol
is fucking misinformation, heat is transferred from the hot brass that just had an explosion in it to the chamber. not the other way around. brass is a very good conductor of heat while say polymer is not. polymer = less heat transferred from the case to the gun.

Attached: 15DF931E-FECF-40CD-A1FE-42E6DA555F1D.jpg (220x271, 26K)

G*d I wish she were my sister/gf

Enough you double niggers, it will be the MG4 from HK.
Nothing else is good enough!

Attached: 93264fb398f6fd63b25bf0bab9d91e16.jpg (1067x540, 38K)

not if you add an 0 at the end
or even a dash 1