What’s the closest battle to have been fought to where you live? How close was it? Give us a summary of what happened

What’s the closest battle to have been fought to where you live? How close was it? Give us a summary of what happened.

For me:
>What: Battle of Fair Garden, January 1864
>Where: Happened literally across the street from where I work
>Summary: Union cavalry under Col. Edward McCook and Confederate cavalry under Maj. Gen William Martin fought a battle in heavy fog (there’s a reason they call them the Smoky Mountains).
>Result: The Union won the battle, but when they tried to pursue the next day, they ran into a Confederate cavalry division under Brig. Gen. Frank Armstrong, whose scouts had warned him they were coming, giving him time to fortify his position. When the Federals attacked, they took heavy losses before having to retreat.

How about you guys?

Attached: 945850C0-60A8-4B64-ADCC-61685664C2C1.jpg (2685x1284, 1.75M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Austerlitz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch_mosque_shootings
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Winterthur
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_Zurich
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Zurich
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlacht_bei_Dättwil
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Fort_Detroit
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Detroit
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Columbia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollense_valley_battlefield
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wagram
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monmouth
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Ohio_State_University_attack
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Concord and Lexington

>idaho
>Ward Massacre (1854) – On August 20, 1854, a large but dispersed wagon train on the Oregon Trail was attacked just east of present-day Caldwell, Idaho. For whatever reasons, the larger train had split up into three sections, all of which were headed to Fort Boise. When Alexander Ward’s five-wagon train from Johnson County, Missouri was passing through Canyon County a war party of Shoshone and Snake Indians came upon the group of 20 emigrants. When one of the Indians tried to take a horse by force, one of the travelers shot the warrior down. The Indians immediately retaliated in an extremely brutal manner, killing all except two of the Ward children.

The Battle of San Jacinto

Battle of Gettysburg. Allegedly one of the bloodiest battles in American history.

Battle of Cooch's Bridge.
Attempt to delay Limey reinforcements moving to the Battle of the Brandywine.

The Battle of the Coral Sea.

Basically the first time the Japs got curb stomped, and the first naval battle where the participating ships never saw each other

General George Stoneman, Shermans cavalry commander, led a bunch of raids through where I live in 1865 but I don't think he faced much resistance. As far as real battles, the Cherokee and Catawba claim to have had a huge battle in the 1300s but even they doubt how true it is.

*bump*

I live less than 2 kilometers from the battlefield of elviña, in la coruña, spain, where the british fought a delaying action against the french. I never cared about the battle, but a lot of years ago i did a briefly reading of a osprey book about the battle, and it seems that the french chased the british up to the sea where they their navy caught them back to their isle . I mean, they used to sell the battle as a great thing, amd it was just a delaying action after running from the french for all norther spain.

การก่อความไม่สงบในพื้นที่3จังหวัดชายแดนภาคใต้

where I live right now? plenty, I guess
>partisan action in WW2
>several insurrections against Austria
>various medieval and Renaissance shenanigans I can't be assed to list because they'd never end
I can even name a few from my actual hometown but they're relatively minor
>some naval battles in Roman times, during the civil wars in particular
>kebab removal stuff
>an insurrection in the 1500s, it failed but the general who crushed it got assassinated afterwards
that's about it

The Battle of Los Angeles. We'll never know exactly what happened because it was never really disclosed or investigated and there's really no way to find out anymore, everyone in command at the time is long dead now.
My grandma was a child in Long Beach at the time and told me about when the sirens sounded and the lights cut out then guns all around the city opened up on a cloudy sky with fast-moving shadows. There's been a lot of speculations and some "official explanations" and there's a lot of pretty likely theories.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles

fucking savages

Exact same battle as you. What part of Sevier county you live in? I'm in Seymour.

Attached: PicsArt_05-17-05.25.55.jpg (2000x2667, 1.46M)

Battle of Asheville, a small little skirmish during the civil war over the capital of the confederacy. Now the battleground is a liberal arts school.

Is Virgil Caine your name?

Attached: The-Band-Levon-Helm-The-Last-Waltz-Photo-.png (600x400, 270K)

Battle of Blair Mountain

Attached: downloadfile-76.jpg (1024x749, 360K)

>Battle of Guam
I live in the Northern part of the island, about 15 mins away from where the last Japanese officers and troops barricaded and killed themselves in.

Attached: 1430714679533.jpg (452x680, 129K)

The battle for the Donetsk airport

Battle of Königgrätz
Austrians get btfo'd

I live in Europe so everywhere probably closest

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Austerlitz

Quantrill’s raid

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch_mosque_shootings

Not really a battle but meh

I have a few
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Winterthur
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_Zurich
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Zurich
>de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlacht_bei_Dättwil
but the last and closest, only a skirmish, was in late april 1945 when the french troops press into germany and some german troops mostly the Grenadierregiment 1055, 89th Infantry Division and parts of the XVIII SS Army Corps under Georg Keppler, making a successful breakthrough eastward to the german line.
english source don't exist, so I just use google translation

>The approaches to Randen were covered by forest and the French there did not expect an attack:

>Then a German MG squad managed to sneak into the village. , [...] After about three hours of firefighting, the French return to the Swiss border, and about 50 Frenchmen were temporarily captured in German. Two French tanks and several armored vehicles were destroyed, some tanks, several armored vehicles and much war material left the French back. "(Report Adolf Schmid, in Riedel, 406 f.).

>In 10 days in April, Trendle wrote - probably after the report of Lieutenant Burget - that "at 16:45 the German grenadier regiment 1055, under the command of a major, surprisingly attacks Randen from the direction of Epfenhofen." After "nearly two hours of fighting" ...] (It succeeds through a hasty escape, leaving all materials behind the scattered [French] crowd behind the Swiss border at Neuhaus. [...] Already half an hour after the end of the fight and suspicion of the German columns of the 89th Infantry Division, [...] only with hand weapons and the most necessary equipment, through the village.

Attached: French_1st_Army_Apr_45.jpg (326x255, 52K)

What:
>Battle of Boroughbridge 16 March 1322
Where:
>Boroughbridge, the bridge over the River Ure and an unspecified ford
Reason:
>a loser king lost the trust of the norf who tried to throw out royalty
Battle: (according to wikipedia)
>When Lancaster arrived at the town of Boroughbridge, Harclay was already in possession of the bridge crossing the river. The rebel forces counted probably no more than 700 knights and men-at-arms, against the 4,000 or so soldiers in the royal army. Lancaster initially tried to negotiate, but Harclay could not be swayed. Since there was no realistic alternative place to cross the river, and with the royal forces in pursuit from the south, the rebels had no choice but to fight. The ensuing battle was short and one-sided. Harclay had deployed his men on foot to hold the bridge from the northern side.Additional forces were placed at a nearby ford, though contemporary sources do not specify the exact location of this ford.The royal pikemen were deployed in a schiltron formation, a tactic learned from the Scots in the Scottish wars.The formation proved effective against the oncoming cavalry. The rebels divided into two columns; one led by Hereford and Roger de Clifford, attacking the bridge on foot, the other under Lancaster, trying to cross the ford by horse.According to a graphic description in the chronicle the Brut, Hereford was killed as he crossed the bridge by a pikeman hiding underneath, who thrust his spear up through the Earl's anus.Clifford was also severely injured, and that column of the army fell into disarray. Lancaster's party fared little better; under heavy archery fire his cavalry was cut off before it even reached the ford, and was forced to retreat.This event shows an early effective use of the longbow against cavalry, a tactic which was to become central to future English military success.
Result:
>Eddie 2 kept the throne

Attached: Battle of Boroughbridge.jpg (919x540, 91K)

A battle happened in my hometown during the English Civil war in 1642. It was a Parliment town but was taken over by Royalists. Theres still battle damage from musket and cannon balls on the main church of the town. In fact, here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

n 1642 Marlborough's peace was shattered by the English Civil War. The Seymours held the Castle for the King but the town was for Parliament. With his headquarters in nearby Oxford, King Charles had to deal with Marlborough. "A Town the most notoriously disaffected of all that Country, otherwise, saving the obstinacy and malice of the inhabitants, in the situation of it very unfit for a garrison... this place the King saw would prove quickly an ill neighbour to him, not only as it was in the heart of a rich County, and so would straighten him, and even infest his quarters."

The King sent Lord Digby to take the town who left Oxford, the head of four hundred horses, 24 November 1642. When he arrived, he chose to parley first, thus giving the inhabitants a chance to prepare defences and to recruit troops. They mustered about seven hundred poorly armed men. At this point, the town issued a reply to Digby: "The King's Majesty, providing he were attended in Royal and not in war like wise, should be as welcome to that town as ever was Prince to People; but as to delivering up the good Town of Marlborough to such a traitor as Lord Digby ... they would sooner die". After some early skirmishes, Royalist troops infiltrated the town down its small alleyways. The town was captured and looted and many buildings were set ablaze. One hundred and twenty prisoners were marched in chains to Oxford. The town was later abandoned by the King and took no further part in the war.

Attached: 8047122.jpg (429x322, 30K)

Wiyot massacre in 1860

Probably the alamo

Some people might not call it a battle, but any riot involving the use of tactical air power gets an upgrade.

Attached: Tulsariotpostcard2.jpg (924x621, 155K)

Closest to where i am now would be battle of dutch harbor. A japanese air wing attacked the small base of dutch harbor as part of their aleutian islands campaign, a diversionary invasion of US territory. The intent was to soften the base up with a few days of air attacks then follow up with a ground force, but for one reason or another the japanese decided against landing and eventually left the area. The base suffered moderate damage and the japanese lost one aircraft to ground fire, although the aircraft was able to return to its carrier
>tfw even the japs think this place is too much of a backwater for the effort
>tfw stuck here every season jerking off and fixing stuff 400 pound samoans break
Life is suffering, but at least the pay is decent

Bleeding Kansas/Quantrill's Raid on Lawrence

Both Sieges of Detroit.
One during Pontiac's Rebellion
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Fort_Detroit

And the other during the War of 1812
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Detroit

Attached: IMG_3034.jpg (325x251, 25K)

Without getting into pre-statehood shit, probably the Toledo War. Not very close to me, I'm from NE Ohio.
No one died, but we did cuck Michigan out of the Toledo Strip and sent them home pretty asspained.

Not gonna lie, but we got the better end of the deal by getting another state attached to us as compensation.

Battle of Karbala

PBUH for those trips. This is the case for my heart. Every day is Ashura and every place is Karbala.

Battle of Paoli in SE Pennsylvania during the American Revolution, I'm pretty sure.
>Mad Anthony Wayne attempts to harass British forces under Charles Gray
>British surprise Continentals' encampment
>Defeat Wayne
>Massacre survivors
>"Remember Paoli!" becomes a rallying cry at the victory at Stony Point

Attached: Paoli.jpg (720x413, 347K)

this is about 30 minutes from me, anyway.
A little bit closer:
>Near Blue Mountain PA
>about 10 minutes from me
>French and Indian War, 1757
>Various Indian raids and settler responses, culminating in the Hochstetler massacre, where a Mennonite family was scalped and murdered by Delaware indians

Attached: Northkill.jpg (630x462, 147K)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Columbia

Well, I got this one, as well as couple of skirmishes in WW2 and stuff with the swedes earlier, but none of them have a Wiki entry.

>Bronze Age
>currently the largest excavated and archaeologically verifiable battle site of this age in the world

Fuck, forgot the link.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollense_valley_battlefield

>Siege of Dunlap's Station
>injuns come, siege small town with 30 people with 300-500 injuns
>somehow they can't capture the damn place

Wagram
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wagram

Fellow Delawareanon
Very cool

I SERVED ON THE DANVILLE TRAIN

Based

Battle of Monmouth
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monmouth

We also killed a bunch of British in Trenton on Christmas

Cops shot a nog with ISIS ties trying to knife a bunch of college students like a mile away. Does that count?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Ohio_State_University_attack

The Battle of Sitka (1804) was the last major armed conflict between Russians and Alaska Natives, and was initiated in response to the destruction of a Russian trading post two years before.

occurred in my home town, it was pretty hand to hand apparently.

Attached: Q5HJ1Im.jpg (1000x536, 118K)

A large portion of the French and Indian War (The Seven Years War - or what should really be called WWI), was fought within a hundred mile radius of where I live.

Attached: 5EB497D8-81EA-489E-8A03-7B594FBE5008.png (780x281, 476K)

Battle of Berlin